Tfw 24 and I only got the hang of traditional fighting game inputs in this past month

>tfw 24 and I only got the hang of traditional fighting game inputs in this past month.
I'm sorry I was such a late bloomer Sup Forums.
I never thought it was artificial difficulty but I didn't even realise that it would be supplemental fun.
I'm so ashamed. Please forgive me.

It's okay. Do away with your tainted Smash blood and let the lord comfort you. All is forgiven.

I'll forgive you this once, but don't let it happen again.

Everything is fine user.
Enjoy it that what is important.

How did you get it? I'm 27 and I still mash buttons to clear some games.

get a friend (or hire someone) with a cattle prod, who will be tasked to shock you whenever you mash buttons.

Don't feel bad. I've been playing for years and still can't use Anti-Air Normals properly.

Control your emotions. Think of it as pure data. If you press it, it will come.

Before the internet allowed scrubs to leech off FG experts, most players used to mash, and most thought they were gods at FGs. This is fact.

Extra fun: FG ranking of ability: bad to good:
>Masher: obvious.
>Scrub: can qcf, mashes when desperate. thinks he's good.
>Rookie: knows he's not that good. knows not to mash.
>Expert: every move whenever he wants. deep fg knowledge. perfect execution of at least 1 character under pressure.
>Master: same as above but for every character in the game or multiple games.

>same as above but for every character in the game
I'd like to disagree with this.
You learn matchups and probably get a second character if your main has really bad matchups, so you don't get counterpicked hard. But no need to learn and use all characters.

This Z motion is impossible for me. All my friends are fighting game autists that try so hard to teach me how to play, so much so that I understand all the basics and know what I should be doing in normal situations, but I JUST CAN'T FUCKING DO THESE GOD FORSAKEN INPUTS. Especially joystick ones. I don't get it but either 1. it just doesn't work, or 2. my character jumps when I'm trying to input a quarter circle or something.

Press down-forward so your character crouches, and do fireball motion. Work on speed. That's it.
>my character jumps when I'm trying to input a quarter circle or something.
Don't use analog stick.

>I CANT DO THIS
>MY FRIENDS THAT CAN ARE SUCH AUTISTS GRRR
Maybe, just maybe you're the autist here.

press forward, then do a fireball afterwards.

6523 is the input motion you really need to do.

> jumps when I'm trying to input a quarter circle
this is about learning to be precise with your stick movement. look down on your controller where you held your hand, and when that correlates to a jump, and when it correlates to merely walking forwards/backwards.

you have to internalize that to the controller you'll be using primarily.

just do press forward then immediately do a fireball motion. Practice that shit 100 times on each side in training room. Then practice cancelling into it 100 times on each side. Then practice doing a full combo ending into it 100 times on each side.

>6523 is the input motion you really need to do.
You need to do that in Tekken, but the motion in every other fighter is 623, if 6523 works it's because of input leniency

how are you holding your stick, gripping it tightly will end up straining your hand more than it needs to and gives you stiff movements.

what

that's something to feel good about

You need to learn to be more precise with your controller. learn to avoid useless motions.Best way to do a Z is diagonal + quart circle if you character jump it mean you fucked up.

This.

This is how I learned it, and how I tought it to anyone else.
Just tap forward, then do a hadoken.

It's the dirty way, but it does the job and you can refine your movements later.

I'd argue that a real master should be able to pick up any character and learn them on the fly in a few rounds, assuming there's no truly ridiculous or unique techniques to learn.

it's impossible for me to do it consinstantly on a stick, on a pad no problem but fuck Z motions on sticks

I cannot even believe this thread, people having trouble with a basic DP motion. Fucking Christ, you people absolutely suck. Never before has a thread made me so disgusted at how casual gamers are today. Bona fide triggered.

No master but after years upon years of SF4 from vanilla to Ultra I kind of started using 50% of the cast. No matter how much you love a game after awhile you will wanna spice things up. Also helps a lot in the matchup knowledge, you can see the gaps in pressure, jump in timing for controlled char., approach methods, efficiency of buttons/specials etc. first hand.

Are we talking about master at playing with friends or tournament level?

I got the basics of light/heavy punches/kicks down but what made the more complex inputs click for me was just seeing them written down in a different form of notation.
Seeing shit written down in the standard OP style or as something like "DOWN DOWN-FORWARD FORWARD" or the anime style notation did nothing for me. When I was reading the manual for one of the King of Fighter's ports and the directional inputs were written as a series of arrows and then the input (e.g. ↓↘⟶A), all of a sudden it clicked for me.
Once I got better at reading the arrows and being able to connect the arrows to specific motions, I was even able to understand the standard form of notation.
I'm still not very good at fighting games but now the initial skill barrier is gone and I know how to improve.

This is kind of bad advice since a properly input Hadoken motion will produce a Hadoken every time. If you use this technique you need to make it a point to never finish with the joystick going full right or left.

>my character jumps when I'm trying to input a quarter circle or something
stop pushing up idiot

I have trouble doing cr. attacks into dp's. I hate just ramming the stick along the bottom and hoping the shortcut works.

Or press the button earlier.

Anyone on Fightcade?

you can do a two-in-one in most games

forward, down+attack, downforward+p

You don't know what you're talking about and don't understand what the purpose of 5 even means.

It's to emphasize you have to return to neutral, 5, in a DP motion.

It's practically impossible to go from 6 directly to 2. You're significantly more likely to get 6523 or 6323, and 6323 is the incorrect way to do a DP.

Go play the oldass mortal kombats to learn the fatalities.

I'd say it's more like

>Masher : what you said
>Scrub : what you said
>Rookie : can qcf when necessary, knows combos but don't have any fundamentals (will only do jump ins)
>Moderate : Basically a rookie but that understands the concept of neutral, even though he's still terrible at it
>Experimented : Good knowledge of neutral and fundamentals, knows his main perfectly, may lack MU knowledge
>Master : Like above but has even more knowledge about the game
> God : Can do what a master do but with every character.

A bit exaggerated, but this is basically how I do it. On a joystick, it'd be tougher to know exactly what angles you're pushing the stick, because there are no notches, but with some practice you build up muscle memory.
You want to press the attack button as you hit down/right.

>It's to emphasize you have to return to neutral, 5, in a DP motion.
Except you don't fucking have to.

>It's practically impossible to go from 6 directly to 2.
Maybe on pad, but it's easily doable om stick/hitbox/keyboard. 6523 would be just as "incorrect" as 6323

The thing is the DP motion isn't really 623 in Street Fighter. It'd be more accurate to describe it as a very lenient 626.
I'd argue that Tekken's 6523 motion, while similar, is a unique motion compared to DP's.

Also, 6323 is a valid DP input. Well, 323 is. The 6 isn't necessary.

13 years prior at this I would say I was between moderate and experimented. Even traveled a month to japan with a friend to perfect our skills on 3rdS.

Now I am a family man. Not too much time for gaming so I am barely a rookie outside of 3rdS maybe. Not that much of players too, SF4 killed definitely for me. I wish I grabbed the GGXrd and BB train sooner.

>This Z motion is impossible for me.
It's not a fucking Z. That way of displaying it isn't even helpful.

Just press foward, then duck and jam the stick into the forward corner. I think of it more like a angular C than a Z really. Especially with a square gate.

Crouching DP is just neutral duck or low block and then jam it to low foward twice, going to neutral in between. At least in 3rd Strike that's the case and that's all I play.

>Just press foward, then duck and jam the stick into the forward corner. I think of it more like a angular C than a Z really. Especially with a square gate.

What I meant by this is I go past neutral more than I try to go directly into crounch - hence the C and not a Z.

Also mask the ducking with a normal if you can. For example when buffering while standing.

You're all doing it wrong.
DP is a 360 motion.

All I know is a long time ago I managed to pull off a mvc3 level 3 wesker super combo and they all went apeshit.

I still lost

My friend was doing DPs as a 360 for super cancels because it was more consistent than doing an actual DP super cancel.

>a properly input Hadoken motion will produce a Hadoken every time
I wish this was true
You don't have to go to neutral for dp in SF4 or 5. For example, you can do 323P and you'll get a DP without ever going neutral. In most other fighting games though, it's true, right?

Doing the input perfectly on stick is literally a Z though.