Persona grew insanely popular because of "It's just like my japanese high-school animes!"

>Persona grew insanely popular because of "It's just like my japanese high-school animes!"
>Fifth game then doubles down on very real and uncomfortable social issues, like japanese work culture, physical abuse, rape, suicide etc etc

The absolute madmen, how did they get away with this?

Do you think this might actually turn people off and damage the brand in the long run? Persona always had dark undertones but this game takes it to another level.

I think it'll be more popular than ever, thanks to having a "serious" story line.

Remember, Persona fans who started with 3 or 4 are 10 years older now. They'll be looking for something more substantial than daddy issues or mysteries.

Persona = Naruto

SMT = Hunter x Hunter

>SMT = Hunter x Hunter
>This is what SMTfags actually believe

P4 was a much more mature and realistic look at human social issues than 3 and 5. Just saying. Everyone in P3 was " I'm sad 'cause someone died!" and so far most of P5 has been problems caused by other people, not internal conflicts of flawed characters.

But Hunter x Hunter is fun.

>Persona grew insanely popular because of "It's just like my japanese high-school animes!"

Actually the only reason Persona became popular is thanks to those Gamespot playthroughs of 4 with Jeff.

>a much more mature and realistic look at human social issues than 3 and 5
>anyone in p4 having believable issues

What?

P4 is easily the most toothless and feelgood out of all the games.

P4 Was Japanese Scooby Doo, what are you talking about?

I see what you're saying, although I find 5's cast more tolerable. I quite enjoyed the rapeman plot and didn't find it that unrealistic at all.

Yosuke had believable issues, they were just petty as hell because Yosuke is a dickhead.

>>SMT = Hunter x Hunter
>delayed and never finished
I think it's pretty accurate.

They're part of the same fucking series you braindead nigger

>this delusion

>Fifth game then doubles down on very real and uncomfortable social issues, like japanese work culture, physical abuse, rape, suicide

Oh please they added rape shit simply because of how populare netorar and cuckold crap turned out to be. And not because these perverted old fucks have important shit to say.

Explain how they didn't.

>God, I hate being a bored, normal person in a boring normal town. Why can't life be fucking exciting? Why is everything in the real world so boring and awful? The girl I loved didn't even fucking notice me...
>Everyone expects me to be some perfect daughter and to become the perfect wife. I fucking hate that. I want to be a business owner, I want my own goddamn life, not some shit my parents and school planned out for me.
>I love making clothes, sewing and making things is great, and I am damn good at it. But everyone sees a big toug looking guy when they look at me. If I don't act the part, they'll walk all over me. And now some new kid moved to school and I... I think I might have the hots for him! NO, THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING! Is it true? Am I really a sissy fruit because I like sewing?
>I love singing and have a successful career even in highschool! But it is horribly hard work, and they always make me model, which makes people treat me like a slut. Should I just quit? But I love singing and acting so much...

Among others.

Do Persona fans even like JRPGs or is it literally just a case of "yay anime game!"

It would surely explain why the idiots don't buy any games other than persona.

Persona 5 failed to be as comfy and fun as Persona 4. Failed to be as edgy and hipster as Persona 3. And the characters are nowhere near as likable or memorable as 4's.

>I can't read and probably didn't play the game: the posts
Fuck off.

By being progressive

NOw think of the conclusions,ESPECIALLY Yukiko's.

Persona's a spinoff series dude. I think that poster was referring to the mainline SMT games vs Persona.

>there are people that are actually getting triggered by this
That's just sad.

But I have loved FF, DQ, SMT, Pokemon, Persona, Bravely Default, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire, the Xeno games, Wild Arms, Mario RPGs, Mother, and all sorts of light RPGs (JRPGs) since I can remember playing the first FF as a child.

They're both Megaten and don't have vastly different gameplay, the meme that there's some kind of rivalry between them is ridiculous.

I actually like the characters in 5 more than 4 so far.

She accepted that she will have to upset other people if she wants to be free, and she made the choice to start acting more on her own desires, while not completely giving the finger to society and her family? She stopped being so much of a doormat, essentially. Is that not realistic?

I heard that regardless of who you romance, they leave you on valentines day, can anyone confirm?

I agree the rivalry is dumb, but the first 2(If you don't count IS and ES as being seperate) personas gameplay are quite different. I can agree 3/4 and all the mainline SMT's are very similar aside from slightly different mechanics.

Why dont you just play it you dumb fuck

>p5 is my first persona game

hello newfaggot

Based on that list, it sounds like you haven't played a single worthwhile RPG since the Playstation 1 era.

>standing up to the oppressive authority figures
>fighting archangels
>literally summoning lucy
Are the thieves chaosfags?

Name some, I am sure I have played more than you.

Goro is law, you are chaos

Well yeah, thievery is chaos as fuck my man

I've been playing jrpgs since the nes.

The persona v smt debate is fucking stupid because they are both the same series but honestly, why is Persona so much more popular than SMT? Not trying to start shit but I was trying to get into Persona and just really didn't like it, but then I tried SMT 3, 4, and SJ and fucking loved them.

>Fifth game then doubles down on very real and uncomfortable social issues, like japanese work culture, physical abuse, rape, suicide etc etc
You mean like the first 4 pervious games? P1/2 had the same kind if dark undertones like P5, If not darker. P5 bandwagoners need to fuck off. You're killing Persona threads.

Do you honestly think anyone's going to sit down and list all the jrpgs they've ever played? Don't be an asshole.

I'd argue that 1-2 (especially 1) are much more SMT than 3 and 4.
>actual dungeons
>demon invasion in rural Tokyo
>guns and swords
>much moodier atmosphere
The combat system is pretty novel, sure, but that's not the only factor.

>real social issues
you smell of sjw or just another Zhang with Leaf flag

people dont play games for what the social issues are but for fun. tho they could take it only if it deepens the game itself. but then they wont ever make a game driven by a real social issue/theme.

go play andromeda, those are your games. you already have such a bunch of "fun"options.

What persona threads have there been lately that don't seem specifically aimed at persona 5?

>being this much of a pretentious hipster

>he's a pleb who prefers shallow stories in his entertainment
How's high school?

Because it panders to weebs
it's more colorful and easier

See

>You mean like the first 4 pervious games? P1/2 had the same kind if dark undertones like P5, If not darker.

Stop being contrarian, P1 and P2 are just edgier, P5 is probably the most grounded the series has ever been.

The marie apologist threads.

P1 isn't edgy by any stretch, you didn't play it.

I can agree with that. The post in reference though was referring to them not having vastly different gameplay.

>it's more colorful
4 is, yeah. But 1, 2, 3, and now 5 go to some dark places.

>easier
I never got this meme. SMT games are some of the most easily broken RPGs out there.

And if Persona panders to weebs, SMT panders to weeb hipsters, which is even worse.

arent you a literal Sup Forums faggot, Chang. i know that image because i was posting there before.
go back to /r/aznidentity/ or /r/canada.

>wall of greentexts
it only hurts my eyes

Not really, they're both first-person dungeon crawlers with the same general structure, demon fusion gimmick, equip types, etc. The battle system is different, sure, but it's even more different between classic SMT and post-3 anyway.

They really weren't though. Persona 1 and 2 are quite strange, but nonetheless interesting games.

>going on Sup Forums
>knowing the names of reddit boards
>can't read greentext
Fuck off.

My bad. The battle system was what I was mainly referring to.

This is an easier way to explain.

Persona is like School Rumble or Toradora.

SMT is like Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Noein.

Persona is instant gratification, it's visually more appealing to normal mainstream casuals. SMT is for intellectuals and true gentlemen, for people who read novels and drink fine wine. It's like Michael Bay vs David Lynch.

>P1 isn't edgy by any stretch, you didn't play it.

What? It's very clearly a spin-off of SMT, and has the tone to match that.

I hate anime and weeb shit but love rpgs. Should I buy Persona?

Witcher 3 is for you. Stay away from persona

Moody =/= edgy. It's a dark story with depressing themes, but calling it "edgy" is like calling Lain edgy.

Play Nocturne

I can't say I completely agree with this. I'd agree that the recent personas visuals and tone are more accessible for some because the whole anime high school setting is more familiar to a lot of people. The gameplay was also streamlined and isn't terribly hard to grasp. It's a simple comfy rpg.

can a good user link a ps3 torrent?

t. reifag

can you use magnets?

>

sure

There's nothing SJW about this, it's a reality especially in Japan. I don't think this is agenda-y at all.

Physical abuse, rape, suicides, etc. are NOT dark tones if they are poorly treated (which is the case). It's just edgy shit for teenagers. Your themes might be "mature" but if they are not well written and if your characters are nothing more than basic JRPG's tropes, it doesn't mean shit.

Please Atlus, stop trying to be cool by throwing to our face "adult themes" if you don't know what to do with them. Stop giving us some stupid memes "all adults are bad and society is hypocrite" in a fucking student dating SIMULATOR. Can't you see how fucking ironic this shit is ?

Persona needs to die. Too much pretentious garbage, and no means to do something interesting with it because your writers sucks. This whole series is just a disaster.

>I hate anime

So you hate cinema, television, books and video games too? You can't possibly hate an entire medium. Not all anime is weebshit, not all cinema is capeshit, not all books are Fifty Shades of Gay and not all video games are FIFA.

Smt is pure dungeoncrawling/combat with less narrative elements
Persona incorpates visual novel elements with dungeoncrawling and combat, it's also character driven
That's literally it

As a faggot who started with the upbeat P4, and eventually played P3 and SMT4, I love P5's change in tone. I'm not very far but so-far it's really been slapping me in the face with that kind of shit. I predicted the suicide attempt minutes before it happened and Kamoshida is one of the most despicable human beings I've seen in a work of fiction. I can only see it go up from here

Just a reminder that weebs will literally buy ANYTHING as long as its anime.

Fuck, I know people RIGHT NOW who bought this game, played maybe 30 mins to an hour and will probably never play it again, just to be trendy and say "Oh yeah I played persona 5"

I'll freely admit that I liked P4 mostly because it was a nice mix of living that comfy rural town life and watching characters learn to accept themselves. I haven't kept up with 5 but I doubt it really does the same thing, which makes me a lot less interested. For whatever it's worth I don't even really like RPGs and I didn't enjoy 3 since it felt more like I was just going through a lot of fluff in-between the lame-ass dungeon crawling rather than actually being the meat of the game.

The social sim element mainly. Persona is unique in that it combines daily life time management with dungeon crawling. While mainline or other spinoffs are pure dungeons. And that can get boring for a lot of people since there's nothing to break up the monotony.

Japanese RPGs have done that shit for ages.
The old Quintet SNES games delt with some fucked up issues like payed killers, tyrannical rapists, child slavery, cannibalism for survival, lightly touching on serial killers and the question of are you born evil or is it a choice?

>Physical abuse, rape, suicides, etc. are NOT dark tones if they are poorly treated (which is the case). It's just edgy shit for teenagers.

Guess real life is edgy shit for teenagers then, because stuff like PE teacher abusing students so they'll perform better has happened, and it has happened a lot.

Hell my old PE teacher was clearly fucking one of my classmates in middle school.

Persona 5 has the same mature tone as Persona 4, only they delivered them in a way that screams "bite the pillow, I'm going in dry"

It's a shame. It's a pretty good game imo.

Because Persona is the better game.

>Persona 4
>mature
>Persona 5
>mature

Maybe if you're 6 years old. Play SMT if you want mature, you even kill your friends. Thats more mature than anything in your weebshit

>dating SIMULATOR
How tell someone hasn't play the games and is a shitposter right off the bat.

So SMT goes on long hiatuses and often releases incomplete games?

Then highlight it all. You are just making excuses to ignore arguments made against you.

Yes and if you don't know how to talk cleverly about this in your media, it's not "interesting" nor "realistic", not even "shocking". It's just edgy shit for the sake of pleasing dumb teens.

>SMT
>intellectual
>Strange Journey
>HURRRDURRhumansareawfulineveryaspectHURRDURRandsoistheirculturetooHURRDURR

But what's the context behind you having to kill them. To a normal person this post would come across as try hard edgy.

This

Should I buy Persona 5? I've never tried these games, so I'm afraid I'll be lost on the story. I've seen some gameplay, and it looks like the older FF games, just in Japan and in High School, the former point makes me wanna try it out tho.

I played all Personas since P2. Try again.
I actually liked P3, P4 was indescriptible shit, and P5 is somewhere in between.

I'll admit, I do kind of wonder what SMT would be like if it didn't always deal in absolute extremes.

>I love making clothes, sewing and making things is great, and I am damn good at it. But everyone sees a big toug looking guy when they look at me. If I don't act the part, they'll walk all over me. And now some new kid moved to school and I... I think I might have the hots for him! NO, THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING! Is it true? Am I really a sissy fruit because I like sewing?

>yet another Kanji is gay-game theory moron
>dares to lecture people on character motivations when he got that one wrong because it panders to his sensibilities
yawn

Can you kill your friends in Persona? then fuck off. SMT is mature and intellectual. Persona is normie garbage

It's pretty alright. If you like turn based jrpgs and the setting doesn't turn you off I'd say go for it.

Basically, their ideologies differ from yours and instead of trying to talk things out, the only answer is always to fight to the death with everyone you disagree with.

SMT has always been Chaos is for awesome people who think they are so intelligent who then mock people who go Law because Law is for faggots.
Making a black and white game where you swap the black for white and vice-versa is not smart its fucking baby's first attempt at philosophy.