Are you ready to see it make it's big return for the Switch dock?

Are you ready to see it make it's big return for the Switch dock?

>expansion pack
>literally "we fucked up making the system so here give us more shekels"

Reminder there is an incredibly suspicious USB port on the back of the dock behind the plastic flap.

Not only is it in a location that would never be convenient for charging controllers, but it's also the only USB 3.0 port while the other two are 2.0
It's also worth mentioning that the official Ethernet adapter only uses USB 2.0 as well, so it's definitely designed for something else in mind

100 percent convinced it's a spot for an expansion pack.

Why else would they even give the dock that weird hallow interior

That's not what you are going to be saying when you shell out 150 bucks next summer for an expansion nobody saw coming but OP

that shit was god-tier back in the day to play games like perfect dark, rogue squadron, and even that shit-fuck donkey kong 64 game.

>upgrades with performance chip
>can only play in 2 hour increments due to overheating

>>can only play in 2 hour increments due to overheating
wdymbt?

clean cabling.

How the fuck would an expansion pack even work? USB 3.0 doesn't even support that kind of power. USB BUS doesn't have anywhere near the bandwidth needed for a GPU. About the only potential use out of this would be Virtual RAM but that's not going to do fuck anything to help with the lackluster resolution.

It's not suspicious. You literally said in your post what it's for. The ethernet adapter. And even if they did release some sort of expansion thing, they'd be fucking over ethernet users, unless it had some sort of passthrough.

Why would they spend the extra money for a USB 3.0 port when their eithernet adapter uses 2.0?

Probably for external hard drives.

>suspicious

I use it for my wii lan adapter

>would never be convenient for charging controllers
Except all you have to do is run a cable to it and out through the hole in the dock. I put my charging cable there to keep the two outer ones free for whatever.

Not likely to happen, although the Switch will probably get updated specs in a hardware revision similar to the New 3ds as the Switch XL or something.

That doesn't explain why it's 3.0 over every other port.

There is NO explanation for this unless it's for a special peripheral. Why would they go the extra mile to make it 3.0 when they have shown how willing they were to cut money in other areas? It just doesn't add up

>expecting logic from Nintendo

>Not just selling a whole new full priced console that's still worse specs than a PS3
>Implying you won't buy it

>suspicious
Lan adaptor

The switch dock is a hunk of plastic that already melts the console with nothing going on and you think they're going to put an expansion pack into it?

USB C supports fast charging, which is only capable via USB 3.0.

It's not a fucking mystery, user. It's for LAN, charging, and storage. Could they release an expansion thing? Sure. They even have a patent for something like that (which is what people assumed was the dock's original purpose).

But there are legitimate reasons for it to be 3.0 other than that.

>melts the console
wat

Do you know how much latency would be involved in having an expansion pack installed via the USB-C port?

Switch has no such expansion.

What expansion would they provide anyway? (through the USB 3 port)
RAM: Not needed
CPU: Not viable
GPU: Again, not viable
Persistent storage: Provided via the onboard microSD card slot

Then why the hell would they make the one in the back 3.0? There are 3 usb ports on the dock and the only one that is 3.0 is hidden in the back

If it was for charging, why would it not be in front

Would've been a decent April Fool's joke from Nintendo last week.

>Why would they go the extra mile to make it 3.0
USB-C is USB 3 compliant. Allows for USB 3 devices and bandwidth. There is no other reason they would include it.

Read the full post. Why is the one in the back, that you need to open a flap to access, the one that they made 3.0? If it's to work with their usbc charging, it would make much more sense for one of the front ports

It's for ethernet.

Because they knew they had to put in a USB 3 port, but only wanted to put one in.
In order to have symmetry on the external case, they decided to put the two USB 2 ports on the external interface and have the USB 3 port hidden behind the access flap.

Explain which exact expansion you believe would be possible through the USB 3 port. RAM/CPU/GPU seem completely inviable unless you want over 200ms response times.

USB-C does not allow for DMA. All communications through the port must comply with the USB communications protocol. Translations to this protocol take a large number of clock cycles.

Maybe it isn't a hardware expansion. I can admit that. However I'm still not convinced that it's there for symmetry. That feels like a justification, not a reason

I really think it's specifically for some sort of peripheral. It just feels so intentional