Why did the Drones meme "carts are better than disks in every way!" before the switch came out?

Why did the Drones meme "carts are better than disks in every way!" before the switch came out?

Other urls found in this thread:

nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/lego_city_undercover_box_reveals_a_mandatory_13gb_install
amazon.com/Battleborn-Xbox-One/dp/B00LO53GXI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cartridges provide the same storage capacity of discs but with the added benefit of faster read times. So they are better.

They objectively are better.

Are you saying that's somehow wrong?

Seeking data through circuitry is going to be objectively faster than the rotational velocity of a disc.

>Cartridges provide the same storage capacity of discs
lol
nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/lego_city_undercover_box_reveals_a_mandatory_13gb_install

>loads slower than a microSD card
>objectively better

lol that was a misprint, try harder user

As a consumer they are flat out better.

Cartridges have always been better due to having less load-times. The thing is in the PS1/N64 era CDs were much cheaper to use than the carts on the N64, even though the N64 could handle better textures and loadtimes than the PS1.

15+ years later you can get 64GB SD cards for ~$20, so nintendo saw the opportunity to go back to cartridges again.

He's not capable of critical thinking despite calling others drones. He can't try any harder.

But that's old news, and they already said the full game is on cart. Step up your shitpost game. Also the max size goes to 215GB, far more than a disk can manage. Manufacturers cheaping out is irrelevant. Also, it takes up less space and is overall more convenient and harder to spoil

Also it still is better loading than a disc

>that link
I fail to see how that disproves my point.

because they were born well after n64 vs ps1

I'm on your side, but discs are still cheaper than carts. That's why there is an increased cost for certain Switch games than other platforms.

And you can get a 100 gig blu ray discs for around $10.

So why does Botw load the same speed on Wii U

ITT: people comparing discs to switch cartridges even though modern consoles install games directly into the harddrive these days making discs obsolete

Bluray's are still cheaper, SD storage/cartridges are definitely way cheaper now compared to the 90s, but Nintendo was basically forced to use them due the Switch being mobile.

Because BotW isn't optimized to take full advantage of Switch's hardware. Although that could be called to question, given how the Switch seems to not be any stronger than the Wii U.

Then carts are better than discs?
Then why are other games not more expensive? Publishers are taking advantage of the launch, if this trend continues I will worry, but now when they are trying to gouge early consumers I remain skeptical

Also it may be more expensive, but $10-15 more, as in the case of rime? Pure greed. Tetris is also $10 more expensive, but they include other shit so whatever.

People just don't understand the importance of optimization.

Because they are better than disks [sic] in every way except one: Price per GiB.

>Why did the Drones meme "carts are better than disks in every way!" before the switch came out?
It is just the reality of a portable machine. Moving parts are a weakpoint for the handheld. Otherwise we would have HDDs in our smartphones.

Actually with the patch BotW switch is now clearly better than the Wii U version

And since the patch is labelled 1.1.1 I expect more to come

You don't think the mandatory 3GB data instillation on Wii U has something to do with that?

>buy new game
>throw it in the drive to install while I do something else for a couple of hours
>ready to play the game at a later time and start it up
>it installed nothing the first time, it was waiting for me to actually start it before installing

Why is this okay? Console manucactuers need to ban this shit.

>instillation
So data does go through a series of tubes!

Because they are now you fucking faggot
the only downside is the cost, but that comes to curb once manufacturers know how to make em cheaper

its not the 90s anymore
discs are becoming obsolete

>Why did the Drones meme "carts are better than disks in every way!" before the switch came out?

I'm sorry, what?

And thank god for that, because disks wear out way faster than cartridges, as well as disk readers having a much higher failure rate in general.

>its not the 90s anymore
>discs are becoming obsolete
Discs are also reaching their limits, due to them reaching their maximum spin speed and how much you can squeeze into them. Also, we found out they are not really very good for storage either as they lasted way shorter than we were told. Back when CDs were new they dared to claim these things would last hundreds of years.

>15+ years later you can get 64GB SD cards for ~$20, so nintendo saw the opportunity to go back to cartridges again.
And they proceeded to make proprietary cards to justify never dropping in price. Thanks, Nintendo.

But they are better you idiotic fuck.

Disc are one of the reasons I never went PS or XBOX

If it's properly coated and stored the lifespan is greatly extended.

>And they proceeded to make proprietary cards to justify never dropping in price. Thanks, Nintendo.
Nintendo invented region locking. They have always been against anything that is non-proprietary.

>No mechanic parts, reduce chance of hardware failure
>Faster loadtimes
>Larger capacities

The Only thing disc based media has on it is probably price point, and maybe production speed

i don't know the specifics honestly

Are you retarded? Who gives a shit about proprietary game cartridges, what sucks absolute dicks is proprietary memory, and Sony has been doing that since forever.

>If it's properly coated and stored the lifespan is greatly extended.
Yeah, but it doesn't change the fact that many disc games mint in box have started to fail. And that it is a farcry from the dreams of lifetime storage.

The mandatory install was confirmed to be fake.
Switch max cartridge size currently is 32GB so Lego would have no problem.

>buy game
>16GB+ installation
>you can't play it unless the disc is inserted, even though you have the entire fucking game installed
Why is this allowed?

That's pretty funny, I had this discussion yesterday with a friend, and got to that one conclusion: might as well buy digital, because a disk is just a key to start your game, nowadays.

Because UMDs worked out so well right

Fucking this on PS4...
Bought Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and it needed to install some shit.
32GB install.
From a fucking disc.
Fucking why?

Carts are faster. Of course they're incredibly uneconomical and that's why they're rarely used but they are faster.

>m-m-muh load times!
Yes, carts have faster read speeds than a DVD and therefore better service games that need to stream resources.

However, you can just as easily install the data to an HDD or some other internal memory for the same result.

The real answer is that, unlike DVD's and SD cards, Nintendo completely controls the manufacture of Switch carts. It's the same reason anyone ever uses a proprietary storage mechanism in tech aimed at the average consumer.

probably for the same reason they neutered all tablet functionality on the wii u version. they want both versions to be as close as possible to the same thing

because DVD's and blu-rays don't have the read speed to keep up with the way games stream resources these days; you'd have to move a huge chunk of memory to internal storage either way, so you might as well just dump the entire game onto the hard drive.

>Buy $10 disk versus having to buy $60 digital
Outside of PC, digital is pretty bad when it comes to sales.

>you can easily buy another medium (that is slower than carts) and install it on there so you spend even more money and it's still slower!

Yeah, call me when I can easily find an unused game for 10 bucks.

amazon.com/Battleborn-Xbox-One/dp/B00LO53GXI

:^)

Fuck you.

>Cost
There you go NEET, your point is disproved. Card production cost is higher than discs and in the real world that is what businesses care about. Glad you live in your little Sup Forums >old shitpost bubble

But his point wasn't the cost, shitpost-kun.

>discs in a handheld
because that worked so well last time it was tried

Those cartridges have a lot of speed potential, but depends on what kind of memory it's using.
Nintendo put freaking five differential signaling pins, which allows it to access those carts at like 600MB/s.
But you must use a 600MB/s ROM to take advantage of it.. and it's quite obvious that no switch game at the moment does it.
It is probably easier to use the catridge slot to make a graphical expansion for the switch than the usb port.

>universal medium device
>only worked on 1 handheld

not the loading times though, just the framerate and resolution

The wii u version only loads faster when installed digitally retard, the disc version is the slowest.

Sony tried to start a new standard, kind of like CD's in the PS1 era, M2 SD in the Smartphone/PSP era, and Blu-Ray in the PS3 era.

ok but you gotta gimmie them digits first

Disk > Digital

>calls it a shitpost because I don't agree with (You)
His "point" was that cards are "better", which is already such a nonsensical argument to be pretending that you're stating the objective truth for as "better" is relative to a specific topic. What he should have been saying is that the performance (exclusively) is better and then that's something you can actually discuss.

If you think Nintendo cares about performance and that's why they are using cards then you're a lost cause. Using your gook honorifics ironically only proves how big of a loser you really are. All I can say is enjoy your time under your parents' roof.

I'm pretty disappointed by cartridges.

I thought load time would be instant, but they are still slower than a regular harddrive.
Why even bother then?

Like nothing changed for me, except that digital releases are now 10$ more expensive.

But they aren't?

Only if they are download only like snake pass they cost the same on the Switch as on PS4, but if they have a physical release like RiME the digital version costs 10$ more compared to PS4 digital because they have to match the price of the cartridge version.

Do some research next time user, but nice try.

fpbp

Not true. PP Tetris is not the same price download

You do some research before shitposting

If anything, that exception only proves the rule.

You might end up paying more for digital releases on the switch because of cartridges, that is a fact.

But rime is the only game to do the same price thing? user you are dumb

F
A
C
T

I mean it is a fact that there is a possibility that you might drop dead right now, doesn't mean the possibility is high

>Oh we're just gonna wave our magical "optimization" dick around which can improve things infinitely
Yeah no, it's BS.

>implying peak hardware exploitation happens at launch
pic related, apparently the NES never got any better than this?

Because carts are better than disks in every way.

except in being cheaper to mass produce, being bigger, and also doubling as a frisbee.

"every way" my ass dude

>SD card
>bigger than a DVD/Bluray
>doubling as a frisbee

reading comprehension 2/10

It's late and I'm tired.

>why did the drone meme "title" before the Switch came out?

When you get out of grammar school you'll understand.

most people are too stupid to care for disks so they end up stained and scratched badly

people fail to realise that flash storage with absurdly large space has a high tendency to corrupt data

only if it's read-write

You really need to learn when to shut up and keep people guessing if you're an idiot or not instead of outright confirming it.

Lmao what a joke. Didnt this come out within 3 years? There are games from 5 years ago still selling above 40.

About 10 years ago Scientists found out how to add data to crystals, but getting the data off was the problem. I think 1 crystal held a few dozen TB's or more. Crazy shit, hope it comes out in my lifetime. Roleplay as Superman with my crystal.

How big are these crystals?What are they made out of?

They are made of Crystal, duh...

Well thats another advantage (albeit a small one) for carts, you can play as soon as you buy a game with carts, my buddy fuckin hates having to wait like 2 hours after buying a game to play it because it has to install

That's cos they like to patent new technology and make money off the production and licensing.
They had to win the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD war so slapped one in every PS3 at a financial loss.

They wanted to do that with PSP but who the fuck wants moving parts in a portable console?

fpwp

Nope. But don't ever reply to me like that again or I'll end your life.

Switch has a mandatory installation as well

Loading times are faster too from what I've seen

But it doesn't? Hope you're not thinking of the updates you have to do if it's your first time playing

I wonder why Switch uses the cartridges..

>before the switch came out