Xbox Scorpio Specs and Details for Dummies

I'm making this thread because there seems to be a lot of people confused with what actually got announced today.

>The raw specs
They're impressive for a console. Anyone expecting native 4K on the newest games is going to be disappointed, but they're certainly going to be able to come closer than anything else on the console market. In short, it kicks the crap out of the PS4 Pro, but not high tier Gaming rigs.

>The Architecture
This was very interesting. Most analysts predicted the Scorpio would essentially be an optimized PC, but Microsoft has instead gone in the opposite direction. They're moving back towards the x86 core structure and away from raw Jaguar chips. This means any game that comes out for X1 will be specifically optimized to use its hardware, the devs won't just be able to port an existing PS4 Pro game over to it. I'm assuming the idea behind this is to ensure the highest possible fidelity and experience the Scorpio can provide.

>Backwards Compatibility
With the Xbone, Microsoft took the easy approach. Instead of getting 360 games to run on the Xbone naturally, they instead built a 360 emulator and had the Xbone run it, which while by default better than the PS4 having no backwards compatibility at all, still resulted in some shaky performances. However this time they have really gone out of their way to take the more expensive and time consuming approach. They have individually optimized every single Xbox One game to run on Scorpio with improved visuals and frame rate consistancy. This feature will be made available to every single Xbone game when scorpio launches.

Continued...

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/np3VRG
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>They have individually optimized every single Xbox One game to run on Scorpio with improved visuals and frame rate consistancy.
This feature will be made available to every single Xbone game when scorpio launches.

as a sonynog this is the only thing that upsets me. Boostmode aint the same

I appreciate it OP
I dont have an interest to ever get an xbox of any kind but I like learning about it

Sounds great, but what's the point of me getting a Scorpio? I already have a Ps4 for exclusives and to play casual shit with my friends and I'm getting a PC next month to play with mods and for emulation.

What could I possibly be missing on?

What are the

That's great but where are the games?

What is the point of buying a playstation anymore? Its a less powerful console and only has like 2 exclusives worth playing.
Multiplats are all that matter anymore

State of Decay 2, FM7, Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and more to be announced I imagine. If you have a PC you can play them since they are a Windows 10 exclusive.

But it doesn't matter how many lists people will post, people will still say no games. No matter how many shitposting and whatever machine you get it one, MS still make money. The narrative here is Xbox is dying, when the truth is they are making plenty of money. Enough to warrant Scorpio's existence.

>Backwards Compatibility Continued
This backwards compatibility deal is further extended to Xbox 360 games. If they're in the backwards compatibility program, they will run on Scorpio with improved visuals. What do I mean by improved viduals? I mean no screen tearing, unwavering frame rate, upscaled textures. This again has all been done on an individual basis. Now, this does not mean 360 games are going to start running at 1080p, 4k, or go above their natural frame rate cap, but the Scorpio would allow for this via an update by the devs of the game in question.

>Dynamic Resolution
This shit is gone. Games like Halo 5 and Gears 4 that have resolutions that dip as low as 820p in order to preserve 60fps will now run naturally at all times in their highest supported frame rate.

>Upload Studio
Full customizable movie making and clip editing will be made available to all users. This includes everything from effect editing to clip combining and extending.

TL;DR there's a lot to be happy about here if you were looking forward to this. Having a console that has backwards compatibility going back 2 generations is especially appreciated in an age where all competitors have dropped that feature. Add in the fact that the Scorpio actually improves those games and it's a real impressive feat.
I don't think I would recommend this to someone that already has a PS4 Pro, because while it's technologically superior (in fact, this could be the largest gap in conole performance since gen 6) it's not like it's worth paying another few hundred dollars to play the same games even if they look and play better. But if you don't have a pro, I'd suggest looking at this before making your decision.

please explain how it kicks the crap out of the pro

i dont even into sony but just look at the specs, thats not a huge upgrade by any means

Its funny because if any company is in financial trouble right now that is sony.

>Can't read 300 words

Typical Sony cuck

The Architecture is more akin to a completely new console than an upgraded one, which is not what people were expecting.

Think of it this way, if the PS4 is the N64, then the Pro is the N64 with the extra ram expansion that came out late in the lifecycle. Meanwhile if the Xbone is the PS1, The Scorpio is the PS2.

Exactly, out of the big three Sony are the most likely to drop out.

MS have enough money to sink into Xbox forever while still being able to release their games exclusively on Windows 10. Nintendo will always survive as they always have a steady income.

If the rest of Sony fucks up heavily (which it is, especially the film division) then Playstation would get affected to a point where it may have to spin off away from Sony.

A future where MS buys playstation is more likely than a future where Xbox doesn't exist.

Console release is in Q4, i guess games will be presented at e3 and are in the making.

so it's still an underpowered pc-lite with no support from japan? I guess moms can buy it for a bluray player or something still. or to watch netflix.

Nice blog bro. Let me fix it.

>The raw specs
Underpowered by today standards. 4K only in a few games

>The Architecture
Nobody will program for this shit

>Backwards Compatibility
it just works

also

>The Games
no gaems

Altered architecture means instead of just being an 8th gen console with artificial steroid injections, which is what the PS4 Pro is, it's basically an entirely new console that is compatible with the previous consoles ecosystem.

You forgot to mention that with somewhat overclocked CPU, no way this is true 4k console, like PS PRO too. Who cares about 4k though.

>being this mad
Did Xbox rape your sister?

Also
>Nobody will program for this shit
Screencapped. I look forward to posting this in 5 months where every single big name multiplat is on Scorpio and running better than PS4.

Also again
>it just works
Then why doesn't sony/Nintendo do it?

Literally the first thing in the OP.
Please read.

I understand you guys had a bad day today what with this thing shitting all over your "pro", but half of what you said is literally incorrect.

>4 GB more ram
>50% more powerful GPU
>infinitely better clock speeds
>100GB of extra memory bandwidth

It's not a gen of difference but it's a way bigger difference than the PS4 vs OG Xbone

I don't get who the Scorpio is for.

I mean, the xbone already gets the same western games the ps4 gets, and the japs had already abandoned the platform. Xbone fans are likely to be invested in maybe gears and halo, that's fine, but both are games already fully playable I the xbone, so maybe they're going Xbox fans upgrade? That seems a very small number

Pretty much this.
We are going to go back to the gen 6 era where pretty much every multi at will run on both but will look far and away superior on the Xbox console.
That being said, Sony will maintain the Japanese games if you're into that stuff.

Go play a multiplat game on the PS2. Something like Star Wars Battlefront. Ok, now go play it on Xbox.

Yeah, that's the reason.

I'm making this reply because there seems to be a lot of people confused with why OP is a faggot.

> consoles finally get 1080p

Well done lads.

If you think devs will go out of their way to make 5 versions of the same game you're delusional

>so it's still an underpowered pc-lite
Maybe, they would need to show more games.
According to a test from Eurogamer, Forza 6 runs better at the same settings on Scorpio than the GTX 1070 with Scorpio using 88% of CPU usage.
Also keep in mind that they ported the game in two days to Scorpio and made no extra optimization.

>i have no idea how game development works

>less powerful than rx480
>custom jaguar CPU
>PS4 Pro has exclusives and barely less powerful
>Bloodborne 0fps
>every game on PC
How did Xbox fuck up this bad? The Pro had been out for months and actually has games.

You don't understand the market.
The overwhelming majority of console players want to play multiplats. They want whatever console can play Cod, Battlefield, Destiny, GTA best.
There are no more Xbone fans than there are Sony fans. Platform wars aren't a big deal outside of Sup Forums.

>the devs won't just be able to port an existing PS4 Pro game over
>mfw even less gaems in the future

>1st exclusive on the list is in 11th place
So, do sonybros know about this or are they just in denial?

It makes no sense to me.

Why are they trying so hard to stay relevant in the console market, when all the 'exclusives' will be on PC?

What would be the point of getting it?

all games work on PC which has better everything.

As a sonynog this is simple. I'll trade my pc in buy the scorpio and keep my Pro for PS exclusive games and play the multiplats on my scorpio

Fucking win win except for the pc bros :(

>Games optimize themselves, after all

And those people have consoles already.

What is your point? People will not, en masse, upgrade. They didn't with the pro. They won't with the Scorpio.

Hello Redmond

>Jaguar CPU

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

>And those people have consoles already.
And?
>What is your point? People will not, en masse, upgrade. They didn't with the pro. They won't with the Scorpio.
Right just like they didn't with the PS4/Bone even though both gets had the same games for 2 years.
Oh wait...

Nobody knows what this means.
All we know is its better than PS4

Scorpio has the same problem as the Pro in that no one knows who this is marketed towards

Xbox is just a vanity project for MS. They don't really care how much money they lose off of it.

Branding, moron. Unless this is marketed as a new gen, it's never getting traction.

>Branding, moron. Unless this is marketed as a new gen, it's never getting traction.
user, it's all advertising.
That's why the wii U failed, that's why Destiny sold millions.
Seriously is this your first generation?

This

Scorpio literally has no exclusive

Every major game on the system , every major game , will he on PC and both one versions

Exception is obviously halo but even halo has fallen

I don't own a ps4 but there is no reason to buy a Scorpio unless you literally , I seriously mean literally , want halo.

Not even couch gaming is a excuse because every gaming console and PC can do that

I own original xbone and don't have 4k tv. I understand that it's going to run games better and show better quality even on 1080p TV but I don't have about few frames and higher rez that much.
For me it seems much better to buy original PS4 right now, because it's cheap. All games on Scorpio are supposed to be playable on Xbone too

See The age of exclusives is over.
If you're a Japanese niche gamer than stick with Playstation obviously. Otherwise this is the way to go.

>They're moving back towards the x86 core structure and away from raw Jaguar chips
Jaguar ARE x86, idiot. I have a quad-core Jaguar in my SSH server clocked at 2.2GHz. This CPU is likely the very same Jaguar, but clocked higher due to improved lithography process.

>40 CU at 1172 MHz
That is actually impressive, since the $200+ RX 480 only has 36 CU at 1120MHz. However, we're not sure if all of those CUs will be active on the Scorpio's APU, since AMD has disabled extra CUs in the past to increase their yield.

>No compromises
>Jaguar CPU

hahahahahahahah

>user, it's all advertising.
Xbox one had the most advertising than both Wii u and ps4

The difference is sony spent short amount of time on punchlines and games which people love

MS focused on dvr and sports

Trusting MS after their fiasco generation is silly

Consoles are a dying breed

If the age of exclusives is over which isn't then why even bother with the Scorpio

You can literally build a PC right now that is twice as strong and pirate virtually anything

There is NO reason to drop $500 on Scorpio outside halo which is stretching it

>twice consoles sold
>Halo 5 sold more than Uncharted

also
>Nathan Drake Collection sold more than Thief's end
And where is Bloodborne? WTF is this?

The point is its very highly customized to allow for optimized performance at launch. Most consoles don't hit their peak until years in.

This is just blatantly not true.
Sony bought out advertising rights with almost all major 3rd party publisbers at launch. They had far FAR more advertising. Almost every game commercial from 2013-2015 ended with the Playstation logo and a "get the new PS4 bundle"

Why are they called Jaguar cores instead of Cheetah when Cheetah is faster?

Why? Sony has more than 50% of the console market share at this point. Nobody is going to suddenly sell their ps4 for a slightly more powerful system that offers no new experiences. You can play all xbone games on your pc. Everyone has a PC. PCs are more powerful than consoles. There is no incentive to buy the scorpion.

>The point is its very highly customized to allow for optimized performance at launch
It's literally the same Jaguar architecture (not even Puma or Puma+). Same cores, same pathways, same pipelines, slightly different libraries. They just clocked it higher and downloaded more RAM.

>inb4 PS4 Pro PLUS incoming with ANOTHER upgrade

>They have individually optimized every single Xbox One game to run on Scorpio with improved visuals and frame rate consistancy
This is a lot easier to do when it has like, 3 games.

>It's literally the same Jaguar architecture
False. Watch the digital Foundry videos >Same cores, same pathways, same pipelines, slightly different libraries.
False. Watch the digital foundry videos.

It will play a fuck ton of games and if you like couch sitting like me it is the GOAT.

"Financial Trouble" jesus fucking christ. The company's doing well. Their reveniue is down compared to previous years but they're still making bank.

>implying DigitalFoundaries knows what they're fucking talking about
It's the same fucking architecture.

>2.3 GHz
Holy shit you consolefags are pathetic

Thanks user, quality post

Yet their gaming and financial division is pretty good. I'm not sure their going anywhere anytime soon.

>the games
???

I have to agree, PS4 already won on marketshare and a slight edge in multiplats isn't going to be enough to make players dump their PS4 Pro that they just bought, which also has more and better exclusives.

>Why? Sony has more than 50% of the console market share at this point.
They had 80% when the wii dropped, a "slightly more powerful console" as you put it, and everybody moved over.
>Nobody is going to suddenly sell their ps4 for a slightly more powerful system that offers no new experiences.
Where to even begin with this one...
Ok, 1st it's not slightly anything. This curvestomps the base PS4 and is a bigger gap between itself and the pro than the PS4 and the X1.
Second, "No New experiences", please actually read the OP or watch some DF videos before straight up lying.

MS forgot what made them popular the first time around

the stronger the better???

let these shills go crazy it is amusing because every scorpio thread so far they fail to answer that and furiously defend this crap

Nah, for all intents and purposes this will be marketed as a new gen. Sony jumped the gun. PS4 Pro is underperforming.

What you saw with the Wii was a rush of casuals that all left next gen, thus the piss poor sales of the Wii U reflected their shrinking core audience, just like the Cube.

>MS supports UHD blurry
>Sony doesn't
that shit ain't making any sense imhotbqhfampai
shamefur dispray

Who's going to ditch their entire PS4 library to get Scorpio?

Screencapped your posts for when the Pro and Scorpio are announced failures.

and how much does it cost?
and where are the games?

>PS4 Pro is underperforming
We'll see if that keeps up. It's only been out a few months.

>What you saw with the Wii was a rush of casuals that all left next gen
You should really do some reading before guestimating. The wii catered to people that didn't usually buy consoles at all. Not really "casuals". The casuals went from PS2 to 360.

>MS
>custom CPU
oh oh

>the wii dropped
>a system that offered a completely new and unique method of play, a killer IP for casual in wii sports, and was aimed at attracting a completey new audience with non-gamers
>a system that was new compared to the 6 year old PS2
>comparing that to the xbone that is aimed at attracting the same audience as ps4 and is not a real new system but just an upgraded current gen system

Begin by getting some sanity.

>Who's going to ditch their entire PS4 library to get Scorpio?
For most gamers, like, over 75% of them, their library are games that release yearly, like COD, battlefield, fifa, etc.
They have no attachment once the new one comes out, they just want the best console to play them on.

Have you seen the cases of the consoles?
No way these things can properly cool a 95W-TDP.

Nah. Most console players just want their yearly multiplats and the system that runs them best. Now that's the scorpio

>Xbone used DDR3
wait, what? WHAT?
Holy shit.

>They have no attachment once the new one comes out
you are completely out of touch.
>they just want the best console to play them on.
That explains the success of the original xbox.

Great thread OP looking forward to he Scorpio on e3

Will my Xbone controllers work on this? I was thinking about springing for the elite but not if that shit is going to be useless in a few months.

No, their Bluetooth is too slow at 2.4GHz.
You need to have 5GHz-compatible controllers for Scorpio.

Thanks for the (mostly) unbiased take on the report OP

People still play COD ghosts?
Just stop talking

You're (kind of) welcome

kek

If it releases at a good price, it could be better (and cheaper) than building an equivalent PC, let alone buying one

Bloodborne did not sell so well.everybody thinks so but it's not

Sup Forums has been saying Sony is going to drop out any day now for the past decade. Its the funniest low key meme on this board.

Nah, the RROD was them using lead free solder (which is really fucking terrible, this lead-free meme has to end) which did not sustain high temperatures that the CPU generated. That's why the "oven fix" method worked - basically reflowed the solder.
Nothing wrong with custom CPUs if done correctly
Also lead-free solder meme has to end

You shouldn't. There's no reason to own both a ps4 and xbone. There's too much overlap. They have p much the same games. It's one or the other. You already have a ps4 so just stick with that. Owning both is just a waste and one of them will sit around gathering dust. I had a 360 and a ps3 and I hardly used my ps3. It was such a waste

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KAZ YOU LIED TO ME! I THOUGHT THE PSPRO IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST CONSOLE IN THE WORLD!!! FUCK YOUUUUUUUU!

>people still play the worst COD nobody liked
Fuck off, even Ghost is getting good numbers on consoles. For higher activiy, people still play Black Ops 3, hell, even Black Ops 2 is still being played.

pcpartpicker.com/list/np3VRG
It will cost about $600 to meet the baseline performance of the Scorpio. However, a PC can always be upgraded over time, whereas you're stuck with the hardware inside the console for its whole lifecycle.
The Ryzen R5 1400 is technically the closest CPU to the Jaguar's spec (8 threads), but I'm certain that even the ~$100 R3 1100 will match the baseline CPU performance of the Scorpio without a hitch. I didn't include Intel because they're more expensive core-for-core and there is only so much higher clock frequencies can do before wanting for more physical cores.