Zelda BotW critique

So, there's no denying that Zelda BotW is a great game from a mechanical perspective. But consider these points:

>Awful soundtrack that mostly consists of some talentless hack randomly pressing keys on a piano and obnoxious 30 second loops, if music even plays at all. The exceptions are all remixes of music from other games
>Allegedly has a survival aspect but you spend more time fiddling in menus trying to decide which of your 20 overpowered weapons to throw away to make place for the new one you found, than actually looking for resources and trying to survive
>Impossible to die after the first few hours thanks to near-unlimited pause menu healing
>Sidequests are all throwaway and don't affect the world or characters in any way
>Shitty control scheme that can't be customized (in current year). Who the FUCK thought having the run and jump buttons on opposite face buttons was a good idea
>Extreme lack of enemy variety, you fight the same handful of enemies the entire game, and there's only another handful types of rare/boss enemies, which are reused again and again
>Waterfalls look wimpy, way to mess up one of the most important things to get right in an open world game where finding awe-inspiring natural locations is a core part of the appeal

After the initial honeymoon period, the game quickly settles into a rhythm where you're just going through the motions of exploring and completing another of a dozen identical Korok puzzles or shrines or enemy camp cleanouts. It's almost soulless - the game rarely even tries to speak to the player on an emotional level or provide a more meaningful reason to play it. It's just a toybox.

How can anyone consider this a better use of an adult's time than for example Xenoblade X, a game which excels at all the above points where Zelda fails, or Nier Automata, a game with a far smaller budget and less refined gameplay, but which still provides an unimaginably more powerful emotional and thought-provoking experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jeOmDEtsAwI
youtube.com/watch?v=BHqgHFcmAOc
youtube.com/watch?v=3FWVKu1gnWs
youtube.com/watch?v=2_eFW5hUE4M
youtube.com/watch?v=1JgJR4iy7wc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's Thursday morning and you're spamming copy pasta about a game you haven't played on a taiwanese basket weaving forum. Maybe you should go outside.

Games are for playing not watching or crying about over the story

this pasta is getting stale

Maybe you should take your own advice, meanwhile I'll be here actually contributing meaningful content to this board

Find an example of this being posted anywhere on the internet before this moment.

This is literally my first post about this game, I typed it out just now, and I haven't read a single post about the game before and have no idea what the consensus is, because I've been avoiding spoilers since it came out.

Whatever has been said by others about it before, it has nothing to do with me, I am 100% untainted by popular opinion or e-celebs or anyone else. This is MY criticism of the game after playing it for a few days.

Where did I mention the story or watching as opposed to playing?

Good job Sup Forums, ignoring/not even reading a serious discussion thread to shitpost about consoles or posting waifus all day.

We've always known the game is mediocre shit user. It's just that Nintendunce had a harder time digesting it since they repeatedly eat shit.

>Good job Sup Forums, ignoring/not even reading a serious discussion thread to shitpost about consoles or posting waifus all day.

If you were just going to bring the console shitposting here like the obnoxious 12 year old you are, I'd prefer if you keep ignoring it.

Heaven forbid discussing video games on a video game board.

This guy is right.

he brought up the new Zelda game not the new console you stupid shit head

I love this game with passion, but this are my serious complaints with it.

Cooking is absolutely broken to the point of retardnes.
If you cook one (1) hearty raddish (which are ever-fucking-where) or ANY hearty food alone you get all hearts plus 3 extra hearts MINIMUM.

This is stupid, retarded and should be fixed.

Why would i take the time and effort to make a cake, a paella, or any other cool dish when the effects will be negligible compared to hearty food.

Also with other ingredients. Instead of being the combination that gives you the boost, just drop 5 of the thing and be done with it. Like why would i EVER use. Any other strenght food other than mighty bananas?

The pausing menu at any time and the unlimited food at any moment is alsp retarded ad manes the game muuch easier.

Also, upgrading armor makes you too OP. Which means that instead of defeatin an enemy because you have practiced your tactics and your skills. You win because they literally take 1-3 bearts with each hit with maxed out gear. That's retarded.

Anyway, here's hoping that the "hardmode" will improve all of this

>meaningful content
>literally just bitching
sure pal.

Sure.

10/10

>Posting legitimate criticism
>Bitching

You don't do very well in discussions do you

>How can anyone consider this a better use of an adult's time than for example

holy shit user, i mean jesus christ

One can only hope that they improve the atrocious menu system next time. In a game all about breaking an old weapon and obtaining new ones in order to create character progression, they certainly don't make it easy to swap out an item on the ground with one that you're carrying. A simple
>Your inventory is full. Would you like to switch out your old shield for the new one in this chest?
option would have made the whole thing a lot more streamlined.

Also, the lack of enemy variety is unforgivable. Here are classic Zelda enemies that to not appear in this game:
>Gibdo
>Dodongo
>Leever
>Peahat
>Tektite
>Iron Knuckle
>Darknut
>Wallmaster
>Gohma
>Like Like

And that last one is a HUGE one. There are no fucking LIKE LIKES in this game. Think about that for a hot second. These are enemies where their entire thing is stealing your shit, leaving you defenseless. Imagine the possibilities! In BoTW, this wouldn't be a mere instance of
>Whoopsie-doo! Looks like that Like Like just ate my blue tunic! Better get it back!
This is an instance of
>Oh, fuck. That Like Like just ate my only means of survival and there are 3 other Moblins surrounding me. Better improvise!
How cool does that sound? Right?

>legitimate criticism

where?

certainly not in this thread!

The lack of any sort of caves in the world is something I bet not a lot of people have pointed out but which is pretty damning for a game like this.

Not as damning as the lack of unique enemies though.

100 hours into Xenoblade X you're STILL finding completely new types of ridiculously powerful monsters hidden away deep in the corners of the map, that will wipe the floor with you the moment they spot you.

10 hours into Zelda you've seen every type of open world enemy and you can kill them all in under a minute, the only exception being Lynels, which are pretty great but not so exciting the 12th time you find one.

Most of the original tracks are in the game if you:
Actually played it
Actually paid any attention

All your points are moot I'm afraid.

I agree OP
unfortunately they casualized zelda, even if the game that started this trend was WW, even if that was the first experiment for a more open world linear game

The soundtrack is great, town stuff is all good.

The wilderness music is all contextual. It's job is to indicate states while remaining unobtrusive to the listening experience over the course of dozens of hours, and it does it well.

BotW has one of the best soundtracks since the N64 games.

Which of my points isn't legitimate, exactly? They're all literally facts. Feel free to try to refute any of them. But you can't.

Oh opinions are facts now? Wow nice!!

all of them

>>Awful soundtrack that mostly consists of some talentless hack randomly pressing keys on a piano and obnoxious 30 second loops, if music even plays at all. The exceptions are all remixes of music from other games
Wrong, the game has a minimalist soundtrack, not a bad one, just listen to the boss and dungeon themes, you would know if you had played the game.

>>Allegedly has a survival aspect but you spend more time fiddling in menus trying to decide which of your 20 overpowered weapons to throw away to make place for the new one you found, than actually looking for resources and trying to survive
This is only partially true, as it's common for weapons to break and overpowered weapons are hard to come by if you're not looking for them

>>Impossible to die after the first few hours thanks to near-unlimited pause menu healing
This is true and should be removed from the game by making eating an animation that happens in the overworld

>>Sidequests are all throwaway and don't affect the world or characters in any way
There's a bunch of them that are well developed, in a game with that many sidequests, it's hard to make all of them good

>>Shitty control scheme that can't be customized (in current year). Who the FUCK thought having the run and jump buttons on opposite face buttons was a good idea
The game controls just fine, it doesn't need remapping

>>Extreme lack of enemy variety, you fight the same handful of enemies the entire game, and there's only another handful types of rare/boss enemies, which are reused again and again
This is also true

>>Waterfalls look wimpy, way to mess up one of the most important things to get right in an open world game where finding awe-inspiring natural locations is a core part of the appeal
There are plenty of awe inspiring places in the game, not sure why you think waterfalls not looking like the ones in real life is something worth a separate point

all in all, consider suicide

Zelda hasn't had good soundtracks since the N64 games aside from a couple of the handheld ones (Minish Cap, Spirit Tracks).

BotW doesn't change this. Is there even a single song that lasts longer than 30 seconds before repeating? Is there a single song anyone remembers fondly and wants to listen to after turning off the game? I like the tune that plays near towers, but it's literally just a few notes that repeat over and over.

Granted, I haven't beaten Ganon yet and there's probably some good music in the climax, but that doesn't make up for the rest of the game.

You sound like a person who doesn't even like music. Plenty of long, exploration-focused games put music on the forefront and still don't wear out their welcome even after dozens of hours.

(You)

>xenoblade x did it better

No

Soundtrack wise they're about the same, great tracks hidden under some shit sometimes

You're still fiddling with inventory just like any other game in the genre

Sidequests don't typically effect the world either

Pretty sure you can't customize controls in that either

Reddit spacing

>wants to listen to after turning off the game?
Irrelevant, music in games should never be more enjoyable than when you're actually hearing it game.

If it is then it was likely created as background noise or to bolster production value and serves no practical purpose.

How is it an opinion that controls can't be customized, or that you can heal in the pause menu, that you're always maxed out on weapons, that there's few enemy types, that the soundtrack consists of 30 second loops, or that the sidequests don't affect the world?

Those are all facts.

I used a bunch of opinionated adjectives to emphasize my points, sure, but that doesn't make the points invalid.

>Awful soundtrack
Stopped reading there. Either bait or just a supreme pleb.

I like the game but it isn't the best game ever made, not even close, reviews like this are just hype induced crap

Pfft. I've played it for 145 hours and it delivered on the hype. It slaughters every open world game out there.

Its controls weren't shit so they didn't need customizing. Also it's a much simpler game mechanically so it's less important to allow players to configure them as they want.

I agree Xeno X had some shitty tracks, but it was all at least inspired, while in Zelda it feels like they didn't even try.

Sidequests in X do affect the world, or rather, they affect other NPCs and are part of long, branching chains of quests that tell stories with ensemble casts. Sidequests in Zelda are nearly all standalone and affect nothing.

Most importantly, the gameplay in X never stops being challenging (unless you read up on some of the broken cheese endgame builds), there's always some gargantuan monster waiting to be discovered that is way beyond your league even at maxed levels. In Zelda you reach the point where nothing is a threat to you after 10 hours or less, and the rest of the game feels too safe and easy as a result. It never feels dangerous and exciting to explore some far-off "endgame" region of Hyrule the way it does in Xenoblade.

>when you've managed to have a shittier taste than a literal pile of shit.jpg

>It's almost soulless - the game rarely even tries to speak to the player on an emotional level or provide a more meaningful reason to play it. It's just a toybox.

Honestly shut the fuck up, I skimmed your shitty regurgitated greentext points to get to your conclusion but here's where I stopped reading. You're criticizing a game for being a game now you pretentious piece of shit, bet you like MGS2 and Deus Ex because they "really made you think" too.

Too bad nobody agrees with you, user. Except cucks and SJW. Hell, even contrarians on youtube loves BotW.

1) subjective
2) true
3) dont heal then lmfao
4) true
5) do you have a thumb? Press sprint then slide to jump. Easy to do if you aren't a retard.
6) true
7)"waterfalls look wimpy" lmfao is this an argument?

I ran It in Cemu last week and I was only getting 12fps and freezes. But I managed to find a bug. When you leave the cave at the start of the game, and you turn to your lift you can fall off of the cliff and hug the mountain while falling. While you're falling spam the jump button and link will start a climb animation and all of your velocity falling will be null. I don't know how many people can use this to their advantage but it's good to know.

do not open

>cucks and SJW
but those are the ones reviewing games

Pretty sure most people who look to games to be more than just toys agree with me.

To simple minds, BotW is perfection. To me and others, it's still fun to play, but it lacks what makes games immortal. In 10 years, people will still worship Ocarina of Time, but BotW will have been surpassed in every way by a new generation of similar games, because it doesn't do anything more meaningful. Just like how Twilight Princess is being forgotten today - it also didn't do anything new, it just did "Zelda - but bigger!", same as BotW.

Nah, they loved Horizon Zero Dawn. SJW doesn't enjoy games like BotW.

Tom Preston would like to have a word with you.

Who gives a shit faggot. The only thing left to do in this industry is "x but bigger", if they can achieve that and maintain their identity and their fun factor then the game is a success. Games ARE toys by the way, when you try to force them to be something more than that you get shit like Order 1886 and Depression Quest.

Not really, dude. It's too problematic for Tom Preston. youtube.com/watch?v=jeOmDEtsAwI

Gamergate targeted pretty much every outlet for being SJWs and publications like Polygon and Kotaku love the new Zelda

Nier Automata is not "x but bigger", is fun to play, does new/unusual things, and provides an argument for games being more than toys. Same with Undertale.

Sadly, its success probably means the next Nier game will be Nier Automata but bigger.

It scored 10/10 practically everywhere, universal acclaim and all that.

AHAHAHAHAHA

FROM CRYING ABOUT THE NEGATIVE REPRESENTATION OF TRANSGENDERS TO CONDEMNING PEDOPHILIC UNDERTONES ON THE VERY NEXT POINT

The irony in the regressive left never gets old. Does this man know that both gender dysphoria and pedophilic tendencies share similar neurological roots and are both neuro disorders? Either both are reprehensible or neither are, but in these two matters the left clings to a pretty curious double think.

>Awful soundtrack that mostly consists of some talentless hack randomly pressing keys
You shouldn't have made this your first point, it paints you as pretty ignorant right from the start.

It's your opinion that those are legitimate complaints

these are the people who hate botw

the horse riding music is so fucking good, unf

>enjoying video games
heck man how dare I?

youtube.com/watch?v=BHqgHFcmAOc

yeah the only people who see flaws in the game are people who love skyrim, thanks for your insight

>there are people shitting on the music
kys

youtube.com/watch?v=3FWVKu1gnWs

KOROKS

Write some real criticisms of the game then if you know so much.

haha triggered.

youtube.com/watch?v=2_eFW5hUE4M

user don't even try.
The nintenbabies on this board won't accept criticism on this game. They won't even read your post and just say
>hurr durr you didn't even play it

Your criticism is correct and I agree with everything of it. Especially the music. Such a huge let down.

>tfw encountering a Molduga for the first time and engaging him

youtube.com/watch?v=1JgJR4iy7wc

Was hyped as fuck by this.

ya ha ha!

It's so satisfying to drop a rock on their heads after getting my seed.

Damn, this video is terrible. You should have just posted a good track instead of some idiot saying things that are 100% subjective

>i-it's OK the game has no music in the overworld but some random tunes because Link's friends died

Ocarina of Time is hundred times more serious, his friends died and there are zombies everywhere. It still has melodies.

Villages have decent music, the overworld has fucking awful music and the horse riding DUDLU-DU, DUDLU-DU is absolutely terrible.

>Bokoblins and Moblins can now swim
>Bokoblins and Moblins and Lizalfos now drop their weapons to pick up higher damage weapons nearby if available instead of prioritizing their default
>Physics/elemental/fall/explosion/etc damage now scales with % max HP, both for enemies and for link
>Dungeons and caves are added underground hyrule and inside the mountains
>Add a variety of small enemies like leevers, skulltula, deku baba, etc that are unique to specific areas
>Add a variety of large minibosses like dodongos, gohma, gleeok that are unique to specific areas
>Golden winged variants of bokoblins, moblins, lizalfos and lynels now exist and have wings that let them fly
>Black, silver & golden enemies can spawn with armor plating, which can be knocked off by strong hits, bombs or magnesis
>Armor values reduced at higher upgrade levels
>Shield strength now actually does something useful
>Upgraded magnesis lets you steal enemy weapons out of their hands or their armor plates
>Upgraded cryonis lets you erupt pillars of solid rock or magma with a cooled platform on top, and the pillar launches objects as it erupts

there fixed it

sure

>it's so satisfying to waste more time after having wasted time for something useless

Alright, actual worst things about the game coming right up

1: Amiibo exclusive content.
Nobody fucking whats that, just put it in the damn game.

2: level scaling.
When silver enemies first start to show up, and the weapons you get from enemy camps get better, you think it's a pretty cool approach to keeping content up to you speed.
However, it actually only negatively effects gameplay. Mostly due to the sudden overabundance of top tier weapons, it completely obsolesces everything lower tiered and finding good gear no longer feels like a reward because your inventory is already literally full of the stuff.
The bloated HP of the silver mobs also does nothing new for the game play and instead only exacerbates the above problems.

That's it.
All other systems in the game are at least "good", they could have been done better in several instances, (more region based music, shrines being fewer in number but larger and with unique set pieces and aesthetic) but as is they aren't a detriment to the game.

you're playing a video game, dude

>no fun allowed
You must be so much fun to hang out with.

I always find it funny how fanboys literally argue like liberals.

And both couldn't win a debate for their lives. Just pure stupidity.

did you just assume my political alignment!?!

>i don't like BoTW
>then you must be a cuck or SJW
>but i think your flawless games has flaws
>NOOO! BREATH OF THE WİLD İS FLAWLESS!

You implied you do it each time you get a seed. Each time you pick up a rock and drop it on their heads for a stupid animation Zelda NPCs have since Wind Waker.

I know.

Strawman

>game comes out over a month ago
>people on Sup Forums get so fucking assblasted at how good it is they keep making threads "shitting" on the game

jokes on you i don't hang out with anybody

Wasn't difficult.

Thanks for further proof but Sup Forums is absolutely terrible.

>Each time you pick up a rock and drop it on their heads for a stupid animation Zelda NPCs have since Wind Waker.
Yes and your point?

Not a "point", just my opinion.

Saying something is a "good track" is itself 100% subjective you moron. There is no objective mark for good music, it is entirely based on preference

Did you even play the game at all, or are you just another whinny child who just came back from your GameGrumps lets play?

It's funny when people think autism is an argument. The overworld and horse music is bad. Period.

This one is amazing, though. The four dungeons in general were.

>2 threads talking down BotW
>Both are literally copy paste that been used since the game release

You guys have nothing better to do? like maybe talk about Persona 5? I know Nintendo games are so good the kindle talk and interest for games, but this topic is getting boring already and people have already shown you and say why this is the game of the gen so far.

Are people finally beginning to recognize Water Temple for how fucking good it is? It uses its 3-D space so well. It's a masterpiece.

Majora also utilized its space really well. Snowhead and Great Bay are fantastic.

I don't think LttP had a single bad dungeon.

YA HA HA

And again this
>you didn't even play the game
Can you fucking retards say something else? Holy shit this is the worst. OP clearly played the game but for that you have to actually read his post and understand it. YOU STUPID PIECE OF SHIT. I swear to god I fucking hate you BOTW fags. I'm not even shitting on this game and people like you should be necked.

Pretty fucking tense track for a well lit dungeon with 3 total things that can possibly kill you in it.

Not really. "Taste" can't differ that much, same with actual taste. People tend to overrate it when it's clear aboust everyone likes the taste of chocolate, pizza or a fish with good sauce.

Just noises isn't good music and most people would agree with this. There are always anomalies, sure, but there are also people who cut off their own dicks for a fetish. You wouldn't argue it's subjective whether cutting off your own penis is satisfying or not, right? It's painful and borderline retarded.

>this puzzle chamber must be dark and have enemies because I say so

I'm saying the track doesn't fit the mood of what's actually happening when it plays

Just why did they make them so easy?

>OP clearly played the game