I'm fed up of Steam. What are some good alternatives and what are the downsides of not using Steam?

I'm fed up of Steam. What are some good alternatives and what are the downsides of not using Steam?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/40DcHCjDovs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump

There's no alternative. Steam dominates the market. I'm fed up too, but we got nowhere to go.

windows store

>What are some good alternatives

Piratebay.
Really, there is no other alternative. GoG is mostly for old stuff and most online stores like GMG sells steam keys.

One of my friends once went full GOG-maniac but kept logging into Steam to shittalk people that don't like GOG. Don't be like my friend if you want to leave the ecosystem.

But imo, just stick with it, there's little alternative that offers as many features. What about the service gets you down, user?

>I'm fed up of Steam

Why, though?

torrentbay

leave pc gaming and join the console master race.

You are a funny guy.

this

GoG is the only alternative but sadly they dont have a modern catalog of games besides a few exceptions.

Torrent your games away.

he's serious

>alternatives
GOG
Visiting the developer's website and buying directly from them.
Origin and Uplay, if you want something basically identical to Steam but limited to only the games from one company.

>what are the downsides of not using Steam?
Games no longer all in one place.
No achievements.
No trading cards.
No internal chat function.

All other posts are wasted unless OP can answer this

Actually consoles are the most direct competitors of Steam really. Except worse in every possible way but one.

GOG and piracy are the only real alternatives.

I fucking hate how much money I've shoveled into a platform that could easily just go offline and take all my games away without a moment's notice.

>Except worse in every possible way but one

Which one?

Physical copies

This is true, but physical games nowadays don't come with a code to activate it online and download the game?

They do on PC, which is why its the only point where consoles could be considered "better".
I actually bought my first physical PC game in a decade with Nier Automata, and it came with "some" of the game on disc, and a little tool to put a cd key in, which gives you the Steam key to use. I didn't even try using the data on the disc though.

In the end this singular thing is something people fight to the death for - because it is also the only thing consoles have that can even compare to piracy on PC. They don't get to have free games at all, but they do get to reduce game prices vastly by buying and selling second hand.

Discord for chat,
Amazon for non-drm games (costs the same, you get a boxed copy, so why the fuck not?)
Piratebay for drm games.
Facebook for e-penis stroking social networking bullshit
Furaffinity for faggotry, furshit and bronyshit.
There, you've replaced everything that makes steam steam.

gog
itch
consoles
piracy

I hate valve and I`m happy to see other people moving away from the platform

Bought a game last night that will download for ten seconds then get stuck on 0mb/s on both network and disk usage. Some of my other games have updates and have downloaded fine but this new game that I've purchased straight up won't download. I've had this issue 101 times before and none of the fixes ever work so I just have to wait however many days to play a game that I paid for.

there are no 'good' alternatives annon.
If you're jack of all trades kinda gamer than you'll always end up with steam somehow.

even linuxfags and animefags are praising steam nowadays.

None of the shit you mentioned can't compete with Steam/Valve. Keep being a delusional faggot.

What is it? Payday2?

Honestly I'm not sure if some of these are not handled by the developers instead of Steam, but the above is pretty much the only game out of 300 I had constant fucking issues with patching and downloading.

Otherwise 65GB of DOOM came off in 20 minutes of Steam, Nier Automata was less than 10 minutes, 25GBs of the same game on PS4Pro? 2 hours to show as if completed - which actually wasn't completed and successfully locked the game in the prologue state, and then another 3 hours to actually download the entire game.

OP is an impatient cuck
thread closed

>Defending Steam for making you wait days to download a 15gb game
Why do you support this?

Not on PS4. They can be booted right after installation. In some cases right from the disk.

un-fucking believable.

Translates to
>I just got VAC banned and I need to hate on something

Why are you fed up, I would give steam a 7/10 overall rating and prices 10/10 but I have games worth 1100$ they got me forever.

You low on disk space? Happens to me with warhammer. Some games when they update actually need equal than their installation amount free to update.

I feel you, but steam claims to have a protocol in place to allow you to play your games after steam is finished.

I've got more than enough, this issue has followed me around over two PC's and internet providers so all I can put it down to is Steam.

Okay friendo

So which game is it?

Killing Floor 2 this time, but it's happened with dozens of other games at random.

youtu.be/40DcHCjDovs

rate 1-10

what are the upsides of not using steam?

Well user considering I downloaded exactly that game twice in the last 7 days without the slightest issue, I have to say the issue is on your end.
Obviously depending on our location you may be connecting to different servers and running into different issues.
What also has happened to me before is an mITX boards network card not really being able to handle my download speeds when using Steam, which would look something like what you experience - download speed jumping up, maxing out, and then dropping to 0 until resuming in some time, if at all.

It was actually a recurring issue for me too with Steam until I simply started using the other port on my mobo, which strangely enough can handle it.
Change your location settings, fiddle with the network card, udpate drivers for them, possibly check your router settings too, some of them actually have profiles for Steam now.

GOG is the patricians choice.

>good alternatives to steam

Not having crippling social anxiety to the point where you can't even physically go to a store to purchase a product.

Whats wrong with steam? You could go back to hard copies if you play older games.

I GET THIS SHIT TOO

76 Mb connection, fresh Windows install

All games download FINE at 5 MB/s (throttled in Steam client) except for KF2 which can't go above 200 kB/s for no fucking reason. All installed on the same SSD.

CS:GO also won't go above 500 kB/s. All other games are fine.

I said on that I've had this issue on two totally separate PC's and internet providers over the past few years and I'm totally out of ideas as to what else it could be. I've changed my location settings, tried using the Steam beta, tried clearing the download cache and a bunch of other apparent fixes and not a single one worked.

I'm guessing its some location based prioritisation issue that the developer's settings affect, considering how I have the same thing with a different game but with the same consistency.

Though I do over time get to download it, just not nearly as fast as I should.
I'll go play some KF2 in your name now though.

This. But don't fall for the paying money for GOG installers meme.