It’s the best English rendition in the history of Atlus USA thus far

>It’s the best English rendition in the history of Atlus USA thus far.
-Yu Namba, Senior Project Manager at Atlus USA

Other urls found in this thread:

turb0translation.blogspot.com/2015/06/kumo-desuga-nanika-chapter-1.html
blastron01.tumblr.com/post/128092878250/im-a-spider-so-what-001
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>koestl-sama.jpg
>not even breaking a hundred retweets/likes

e-celeb sycophants thread? e-celeb sycophants thread.

>measuring a person's worth in how many "likes" they have

social media was a mistake

Oh wow that's awful. I thought we'd moved past the "engrish that still doesn't match the original script" phase of localization over a decade ago.

I guess ATLUS just felt the need to outdo themselves this time.

>100 hour, heavily text base game has some translation errors at launch

Wow, what a pile of shit! Hoe can anyone enjoy this?

Who is that and why is he so pissed over typos?

Freelance translator.

Most famous on Sup Forums for being the guy who translated grisaia.

Yeah, because there's been no '100 hour' text based games EVER made before Persona 5, right?

Go back to your weeb shithole, Atlusfag.

Lmao what a loser

Why?

>Translation literally on par with a mid-tier doujin

Weebs are never happy

>people have come to expect and even accept this

the state of modern video game audience is amazing

Other VNs don't have this problem. But I guess it's okay if Atlus does it.

I'm happy
I very much prefer this over memes

what do you gain by defending this?

Can't post that without the sauce

It's pegging isn't it

Keep your TLWiki circlejerk threads in /vn/ please, thank you!

>(Yu)

I've seen a few memes so far, so you're actually lucky enough to get both.

Yeah, because there's been '100 hour' text based games made before Persona 5 that contain zero translation errors, right?

There's always going to be a few typos, but not straight out mistranslations and made up words like the shit that's in the OP.

God fucking dammit
I know about the ZA WARUDO one, that's not even that bad

Pls explain to a non-native speaker. I see that the sentences are stylistically clunky. Is that what it's all about?

>throwing a hissy fit over literally 3 typos

Yes, people are being autistic and overreacting
As always
Outrage culture is shit

What's wrong with the bottom left?

Post yfw you need to agree with Anthony Burch.
Seriously, Persona 5 dropped the ball.

>people shouldn't react over a machine translation.

genetic fallacy

Abominous isn't a word, for one.

I guess the "girl of rumor" sounds stupid.

And "abominous" is not even a real word. What the fuck

"The girl of rumor" sounds retarded, I assume
they use "kek" multiple times in game

Is "he simply cannot be found" wrong or something?

even a dropped cuck is right twice a day

>they use "kek" multiple times in game

People can't complain about accurate translation, though.

The "a scum" one is ungrammatical. The one about the director is actually a full mistranslation as he says since たった今 is past tense(just now). The Abominous one is actually not the bad aside from the translator making up words. The rest is accurate and semi-legible but if you've ever done any japanese translation they're basically such rigid and stilted translations you can tell what the original japanese probably was.

the word they were looking for was probably "abominable," as their alternative is not actually a word

honestly this just shows how stupid this thread is. Its a good game and hipsters dont want people to think that it is.

The grammar ones are embarrassing but the "kek" comes from a meme-spouting retard ingame. I'd rather see that she's a meme-spouting retard in English than see an obscure 2ch meme that doesn't make any sense to try to translate

How many times is "it can't be helped" in the game?

I mean all you really need is a basic understanding of the English language to realize something is dreadfully wrong with this translation.

I've seen atleast two so far

nope , just complaining that the didn't use can't instead of cannot

The hacker-girl that probably shitposts online as much as we do right?
That's probably in character
Anything serious?

Top left: Should be "scum" instead of "a scum"
Top right: Sentence makes sense but the "in hiding" part doesn't flow well in conversational English.
Bottom left: "Girl of rumor" should be "the girl in the rumor". Abominous isn't even a real word

That's not what a machine translation looks like
Machine translations are pretty much incomprehensible
Cannot flows better in the sentence

Anyone tried the French or German translation? Is it more faithful?

That's probably why you see a lot of non-natives not seeing a problem with any of it.

Imagine some ESL sees the word "abominous" and starts using it thinking it's a real word, lol.

it's probably translated from the english script, so I'd wager it's as bad, if not worse

Anyone have more examples of the 'bad' translations in the game? Post some screenies, senpai.

I've noticed some issues with the translation and all that but the game is very fun! I like it alot.

I don't this either.

Should it be "He couldn't be found" instead?

That would be abominous.

You're fucked.

>alot.

you did this on purpose didn't you

>Delay game to """""improve""""" localization
>It stills reads like a poorly translated doujin

Sasuga Atlus

>That's not what a machine translation looks like

Go read some light novel "translations" where they stick it in a machine and do one editing pass over the result.

>It stills reads like a poorly translated doujin

Giving them too much credit here. This is some Duwang shit right here.

I do read light novel translations and if you already admit there's an editing pass then it's not a straight machine translation is it

HERE'S THE LITERAL TRANSLATION YOU ORDERED SENPAI

I don't have the game, but do you guys have screenshots showcasing some of these Duwang-tier translations? All we've got in this thread is OP's image and Burch's tweet. Getting kinda suspicious when all of y'all are bashing on the game and not showing why. I just wanna see the shitty localization too lol

That's not really how it works. If the original text has passed through a machine translator, people refer to it as a machine translation, even if you edit it afterwards.
Of course, using that shit is bad practice.

>lol
stop this.

The grammar is off, and some of the spoken dialogue sounds unnatural. Plus some of the lines are cringey line Ryuji saying "effin" or "Wassup Persona", and they even shoehorn stale memes in the dialogue occasionally. It'd be a lot more annoying if we didn't have Dual Audio, but since we do I can put up with it.

It's not really duwang level, more circa 2008 no-name jrpg nisa level. Minus the gamebreaking bugs.

Most of the pissed off translators on the twitter mostly boil down to
A: They either really love the game and are buttmad to see it effectively get nisa'd
or
B: Are buttmad because atlus pays some of the best in the business and whoever translated this game got paid way more than them for shitty work.

Okay, my bad, senpai. It's a "machine translation with one editing pass" quality translation which apparently isn't something worth complaining about according to you.

I guess
Still I wouldn't blame LN translators for doing this
They're usually fans who just do this in their spare time for free
If anything I thank them for doing it and adding the TL notes which usually just end up being funny bullshit anyways

>"Wassup Persona",
how about this?

Well yeah, fan work can get a pass to some extent because they're not charging you $60 for their work, obviously

I mean, I read so called machine translations of LNs and I've never thrown a shitfit over some awkward grammar

This almost gave me cancer, glad I played it in nip months ago.

I'm more offended by the gratuitous use of "prolly." It even shows up in the poll comment ticker, like it's a thing people actually type out.

Well yeah, amateur LN translators aren't getting paid like Atlus's staff.

It's the difference between this:
turb0translation.blogspot.com/2015/06/kumo-desuga-nanika-chapter-1.html
and this:
blastron01.tumblr.com/post/128092878250/im-a-spider-so-what-001

Oh yeah, this is 60$
Pirating makes you lower your standards

You also didn't pay 40 to 60 dollars for said LN or it's machine translation so I don't see why you'd throw a hissy fit either.

>I have low standards, why don't other people?

If you would pay $60 for an amateur LN translation there is something seriously wrong with you.

lmao

Considering the quality of past Atlus localizations I don't see anything wrong with that claim

Does Japanese not have punctuation?
That would explain the structure of the first translation

pre-ordered from e-buy.co,uk -xbiteworld-. If i don't get my copy by tomorrow gonna buy digital and refund from those fuckers , whole week ruined.

the localization is not an issue

the rest of the dialogue ive seen has been shitty, but what's wrong with this? people say whaddup, it's not that bizarre.

So, doesn't anyone have any critiques about the game NOT RELATING to translation?

Seems like Sup Forums is grasping at straws.

Critiquing the translation isn't grasping at straws. The story is important to P5. fucking that up is a problem no matter how you slice it.

The english voicework is dogshit

That's not what this thread is about

Yeah that gameplay is a really shitty lite version of SMT gameplay, but literally everyone already understood that years and years ago so nobody is bothering to talk about it.

>everyone misses the glory days of jrpgs, including bad translations
>Atlus delivers that
>somehow it's a problem

It's fantastic so far, bordering on kamige status, but I do have some complaints.

>Movement and Camera are massive steps down from P3 and P5, worse than kusoge like Nep or Atelier. Character moves like a sluggish, clumsy retard and the camera gets caught on everything.
>Music is more generic and repetitive, but some people say I'm retarded and that it's better than the other games

>being this retarded

Fucking this, bunch of newfags have no respect for tradition

Oh, nice. So you guys were all over-exaggerating to begin with, so of course you wouldn't have any screenshots to back your claims. Pathetic, you are all up in arms over nothing in this thread. There's nothing that you can back up with your own examples.

There's a fucking Anthony Burch tweet being cited, what the fuck has Sup Forums come to!?

and?

Man how could they have gone backwards?
the SMT translations were """""fine"""""" for the most part

I cant wait until companies start localizing games with literal machine translations while people like you say "well you cant expect them to manually translate so much text it would take too much!".

It's not just you about the music. I don't really like the battle theme or the city theme. The music switch in the palaces when you're going to steal the treasure and the boss battle theme are pretty dope though.

>it's the best english rendition of that part where it turns out GORO IS THE FUCKING TRAITOR

I mean I've seen better translations in H-games but I'm not autistic enough to care.

fag there was a 500-post thread yesterday with all the shitty translations, go look in the archive or something
people can't take screenshots because the game's share function is blocked thanks to Atlus