What do you think of the Persona 5 streaming ban?

What do you think of the Persona 5 streaming ban?

I personally hope other game companies follow what they have done.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0yxVASSetmA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's the most retarded shit I've ever heard of.

It's a bit odd, but I understand ATLUS wanting people to buy their big game that's been worked on for all these years.

Matthew must be really happy about it

It's a stupid waste of time.

It's weird that it can't even take a screenshot when getting a trophy. Are they really scared of spoilers?

Agreed, at least for a month or two after release. The fact Sup Forums is defending lp leeches is disappointing.

I approve of it. I hate let's player streamer jewtube faggots and anything that hurts them financially is good for me.

I seriously don't give a shit about e-celeb cancer but the fact that companies going full jew for a few """potential""" customers and missing the fact that streaming/youtube is pretty much free advertising and the best kind word of the mouth is pretty baffling.
People make some secret/public contracts to make streamers/youtubers play their games and these old slant eyed jews are completely missing the whole point.
>dude streams
>followers are aware of the game if they weren't before
>some are interested and buys it
>others sees the pure gameplay
>some of them likes and buys it too
Holy shit you are pretty much shooting yourself on the foot. This is free advertisement with zero developer effort and maybe more powerful than fans in that regard.

i've got spoiled like 6 month ago when the japanese version got released and in fact there is a retard on twitter who will automaticaly spoil you the instant you utter the word "persona" and "spoiler" together

it's stupid and won't accomplish nothing

I understand the intent, but i think people should be allowed to stream what they want.

>Holy shit you are pretty much shooting yourself on the foot. This is free advertisement with zero developer effort and maybe more powerful than fans in that regard.
Except you're spoiling the story, which is pretty much the selling point of the game. They invested money into the marketing and it all goes down the shitter because of streamers wanting to make a quick buck spoil the game for people interested.

>inb4 japanese already spoiled the game for everyone
for the people in the know. It's still fresh out in the west, and for people who didn't want to be spoiled.

free advertising would be still only allowing people to see at max 20% of the game is better than someone able to just watch the entire thing.

It's Atlus admitting PS5 is an anime and not a videogame

Doesnt affect me but it seems stupid to give yourself bad PR and pretending to care about not spoiling people when they weren't bothered to localize it in a timely manner.

It's really weird, but I couldn't care less since I don't stream or watch streams. Fuck streamers anyway, it's fun watching them get upset about this.

I don't give a fuck because I'm not a friendless millenial faggot who spends his time watching strangers on the internet play video games.

Is the same shit as Nintendo, is their games and they are allowed to do whatever the fuck they want.

But is a little bit backwards, and worst with Atlus since they are a small company.

I watch streams for the person, not the game they are playing. Granted, I usually have it as background noise when trying to sleep.

Streaming a game is no different than streaming a movie or a TV show. You're distributing someone else's copyrighted material without permission and receiving monetary compensation for doing so. Streamers and Youtubers should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Absolutely retarded, if you don't want to get spoiled, don't watch fucking streams about the game and avoid places where it could be talked about. Jesus is it that hard for people to actually use their brain?

Backseat gamers don't play games. Why would they buy them?

I do. I fucking hate streamers. I would love all companies to do this just to fuck them all over.

Games were fine before streaming. Watching someone do something you could do for yourself in your free time robs you of a lot of experience.

I don't get why people get into streamers so much. If playing isnt enough find other hobbies.

There's apparently a bot on Twitter that automatically replies spoilers to Tweets about Persona.
Shit's hilarious.

It's okay when Nintendo doesn't do it

Its literally free marketing. I do find it funny that streamers or """""content creators"""" get upset and use excuses like not being fair to stream monsters who want to watch the game when it just means they cant profit from this. Like some autist would really watch a 120 hr JRPG instead of doing something else holy shit.

That said Atlus are also ran by old farts ; theyre smart but scummy much like most nip businessman above 50

If you're gonna post based Frost you're gonna need to follow up with more based Frost.

How long until making money from playing video games or being a youtuber will last? It's not a long term thing and once you stop you don't have any qualifications.

>Except you're spoiling the story, which is pretty much the selling point of the game.
You're implying that people don't want to play the game for its gameplay which is just fucking retarded. I had P4 spoiled for me but I still put over 120 hours into the game. If your game lacks so much gameplay that your just as well off watching some dude stream it, it's a shit game no exceptions.

>Don't use the internet at all.

I highly doubt its about spoilers. Cause who would be stupid enough to watch a stream of a game they havent played and get upset when they are spolied?

I'm enjoying seeing the anger that it is causing. I think Atlus just wants people to go buy the damn game if they are interested in it instead of watching someone else stream it.

You can help too, you know?
By the way, is there a new PR at AtlusUSA? I already miss Hardin and his charming ways of mishandling PR business.
This shitstorm is on Atlus of Japan, though.

Except the people who watches the whole thing wouldn't buy it in the first place.
The ones who bought the game thanks to the video would be playing it instead of watching the whole thing too.
What's next, company preventing non streamers to take screen shots or blocking your progress until further date? How about just sell the game episodic parts with each week for minimal spoilers?
The story is just a bullshit excuse and you know it. This shit isn't the part 2 of bible and nobody would play the game for only story, even if they did they would not type the fucking thing on the internet, find it and watch the whole thing.
Story my ass. This has nothing to do with spoilers. They are going full jew mode on this with bullshit that I have never tought it would become real before.

Saddest part is when streamers refuse to even play the game at all because they can't stream it, play it in your own time. Not every game you play needs to be streamed.

Did Hardin get fired or something? Who do I have to yell at to get EOV now?

>You're implying that people don't want to play the game for its gameplay which is just fucking retarded.
But people actually won't. Even Atlus knows that, which is why they put the ban. I like P5 so far but it's one dimensional in as sense that the story and artstyle is good while everything else is average/below average.
If some streamer shows that off, then it defeats the purpose of buying the game, because its best parts were shown off for free.

I think he moved to NCsoft or something, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was fired after all the misleading Persona 5 stuff and how he responded to questions.

SE better do this shit with FF7.

Remember when he was paranoic about people who planned to play ubdub on jailbroken ps3 "invading" their preview stream to spoil the story in the chat?
His stupidity was pretty entertaining at times.

I'm at work so I can't help unless I pull shit off google or steal from the general.

It could be an important event. Right now streaming games technically falls under fair use. Because it's a grey area the older generation can't be bothered with. If people are dumping a games cutscenes though, how is that different than streaming a movie on YouTube? If people push back against atlas, and then companies push back again, we could finally see some closure on this issue

Is no one going to mention the homo's rule shirt that has a gun on it?

Of course the "alt right boogeyman" doesn't exist on Sup Forums

Because it's a joke edit, my man.

because it's a year old edit?

Wait, they were doing this in order to keep people from getting spoiled about the story? Hasn't the plot and all twists been public knowledge for like a year now? I know the identity of the traitor and the big villain surprise and I don't even follow this series.

Who gives a fuck about the ban and those E-cel.

When the guy making the PS3 Emulator will open his Patrion, I really want him to move the English version of P5 to his emulator ASAP.

youtube.com/watch?v=0yxVASSetmA

This game shitty FPS on the PS4 and PS3 make me sick, and it does not even look that great, why no target steady 60fps? not that subpart shit fest.

>Sup Forums sucking the corporate D
Never change, neo-Sup Forums

>muh fps in a life sim visual novel
Are you for real?

its silly
like people don't have capture cards

yeah it's really dumb. they did this when it was released in japan as well

>company does not want other people to earn money using their products
>This is somehow wrong
If you really want to earn money as a streamer or LP'er just contact the company and make a personal contract.

And Japanese policies regarding spoilers in game is a whole different from ours, they actually want people to play the game to see the story. How weird huh?

i think it's unlikely to survive a court, and it relies on the fact that for most streamers it's economically irrational to go to court

it's also economically irrational for Atlus to sue everyone who circumvents the "ban", so the effective result is that it accomplishes very little except the destruction of good will, which is an example of karma at work in our lives

Streaming is cancer and I hope every company follows the example.

>Sitting at home playing Persona 5
>Hear a noise from the kitchen
>Don't want to get up and check because I'm busy playing
>Fucking burglar entered the window and is now in the living room, looking at me in shock because he didn't expect anyone to be home
>I look back at him, equally surprised
>He turns his head towards the TV
>Sees Persona 5
>Police kicks down my door and arrests me

>I don't like so nobody should be able to do it
kay

It sucks.

I really want to see what Demolition_D thinks of it and he can't even stream the game.

if your video game can be ruined for someone by them watching someone else play it, it's not much of a video game now, is it?

I think streaming culture today is annoying in general.

I don't want to watch some faggot do my hobby. I feel a twinge of irritation everytime i look up some info on a specific thing, and instead of a simple text based guide that I can ctrl + f my way to, I only get links to videos with some cocksucker trying to get his name out there by being all the internet personality he can be.

It takes a special nerd to waste all his time playing video games. It takes an absolute waste of space retard to watch somebody else do it through stream.

Fuck streaming, fuck let's plays, and fuck all of you that made it a thing.

I have a friend who never plays anything because his favorite streamers play games for him to watch.

And I'm pretty sure Maximillion only played to the first ending of Nier Automata, so this kind of thing is absolutely terrible.

>Right now streaming games technically falls under fair use. Because it's a grey area the older generation can't be bothered with. If people are dumping a games cutscenes though, how is that different than streaming a movie on YouTube?
i mean the question is whether it's more like streaming a movie or quoting a book, which is clearly legal in many contexts

people often think fair use is about profit and substitution, but it's also about transformation and education. educating the consumer is a reasonable basis for fair use, and "being a different kind of thing" is also a reasonable basis. there's a good argument that a live stream with chat, commentary etc. is a different thing

The people at the very top probably have tons of money to invest and live out the rest of their life.

doesn't matter if you're a Sup Forums hipster who hates e-celebs. it is still asinine that they do this.

if they really cared about spoilers they should have had this out in english last year
there's already spoilers everywhere, hell i've already been spoiled by asshole Sup Forumsirgins posting on this very board

i get it. games like these are best when you know very little about them going in. it's important to be able to surprise the player, i think.

Just ask him.

He could use his roommates capture card, but his roommate is currently streaming it on his own channel.

Doesn't he still need to finish GR2 and NieR first?

There's a ban? Because I have a Persona 5 stream open right now.

i think i've been spoiled, but it was something very small, and the guy told me he didn't even know it was true. so yeah, guess i wasn't spoiled haha

I just want to take screenshots.

Why did they ban streaming?

>People make some secret/public contracts to make streamers/youtubers play their games

It's not secret, lots of streams are sponsored, and openly too.

When you see all the big streamers all playing the same game at the same time, it's almost never payed for unless they've got some special early access or some shit. The thing is, when there's a new game, you NEED to stream it, because everyone who watches Twitch will be wanted to see it played (since they're not gonna play it), so if you're not streaming it, they'll be in someone else's channel instead.

It's why For Honor was fucking huge for like, three weeks. When a new game came out, people stopped streaming it, so people stopped caring.

I am friends with and know quite a few larger streamers through work.

so what's the story? Is the creepy guy who looks evil and talks about murdering everybody all the time ""secretly"" a serial killer again?

How do you rank up sun pact with the politician guy?
I saw his speech and went to work at beef bowl but he never texts me to come help him.

I already saved an entire "No Commentary" run from youtube to my hard drive. All it cost me was unlimited bandwidth, a few volts, and 30 gigs of hard drive space.

get faged

Atlus taking their own weeb shit story too seriously

>I don't want to watch some faggot do my hobby.
So don't.

>It takes a special nerd to waste all his time playing video games.
O lol.

It also takes a special kind of retard to waste all his time learning how to fix plumbing. Or to make movies. Or to write books. Or to paint pictures. Who the fuck wastes all their time doing something? They should be doing something else!

PROTIP: It pays money.
That's why they do it.

The game spoils itself. In the first five minutes of the game, when Joker is arrested one of the cops says one of your teammates is a traitor and sold you out.
That was kind of unnecessary and takes all the mystery out of it.

I can understand where ATLUS is coming from. However, they're not coming from the same angle that most people on Sup Forums are who support them in this, as Sup Forums just associates all streaming with the cancer let's player crowd.

Persona 5 is a big enough title that it doesn't necessarily need any additional exposure to get consumers to buy it, so unlike an indie game which can use the exposure (fyi Japanese developers also ban the streaming of free RPG maker games sometimes) you cannot simply point out how the ban is hurting the game's sales, because it likely isn't really.

If you believe that the sort of person who watches someone else play a video game that isn't total on-rails garbage like Dear Esther is less likely to purchase the game after having seen it played not because they dislike it but because they've been "spoiled" or gotten the experience for free already, you're full of shit. Video games are an interactive medium, so as a passive viewer you don't get the full experience. Furthermore there's research showing that if you get spoiled about a book before you've started reading it, your enjoyment of the book is not affected, which can translate to the enjoyment of the story in a video game.

I don't personally care for the kind of person who would stream Persona 5 or the kind of person who would watch someone else stream Persona 5, and I generally dislike LPers unless it's people going out of their way to dredge through the sludge of garbage obscure indie games to find the few gems and showcase them to others. But I still think the ban is fucking stupid, because there's little evidence to support it and it's treading dangerously close to the "get fined for singing unlicensed songs in the shower while your window is open" situation.

Its stupid, i was gonna buy the game to try it out since ive only played 3 but now im not interested in it

>Everyone on Sup Forums hating on streamers

I mean, they are cancer, but they do it to pander to their audience and get money. If anything, people on Sup Forums should rejoice that an option exists where you can sit on your ass, and expend the least amount of effort possible, and STILL make money. Potentially your entire income if your fanbase is big enough. That's actually amazing. Like, I know streamers are faggy, but I really want to be a streamer so I don't have to waste away at an office job; I can waste away playing video games instead.

Anyone else here get me?

It's dumb since the game's already been out in Japan for months. If it were a simultaneous release I'd kinda understand it.

You have to be attractive, have a good voice and communication skills or be a female to be a "streamer" where you make income

Can they actually enforce this super special ban?

There's market for being a manchild, or at least somewhat funny. Maybe have unique perks for donating to your stream? I agree though, the very top earners seem to be attractive or they've been doing it for so long.

I wonder, could you hire a hot girl to play games and then give her a cut? I mean, she'd have to have incentive to go to you and not just start her own stream. Maybe get a stupid hot girl and you take care of all the "nerdy" stuff like the setup and game research and all she does is sit, play games, and show a bit of cleavage.

>You have to be attractive
I've seen plenty of streamers I wouldn't consider attractive, and some who don't use face cams at all, but still are partnered on twitch with a decent number of subs.
>have a good voice
mic that isn't potato + compression filter + reverb
>and communication skills
this is actually the hardest part. You need to be some modicum of entertaining for hours, and when you start out even if nobody is really watching. It comes naturally to some people, but it's still fucking brutal.

I feel like they could work with Twitch or YouTube to take stuff down. I mean people could probably upload stuff to vimeo or dalymotion, but that's not where all the fans are, and certainly not where the money is.

no, but they can ask twitch to stop streamers from streaming it as sort of a gentlemen's agreement.

Vimeo bans Let's Plays anyway.

I'd be okay with it if it was a multiplat ban
But this is a PS4 ps3 exclusive, there's a button on the controller specifically for screenshots so it seems odd there would be an exclusive that bans it

>it make streamers and e-celebs mad

Its fucking amazing.

It's a publicity stunt in tone with the game's themes about opposing authority. No one has actually received a copyright strike as far as I know. They want people to stream the game.

Just because it's on Sony's console doesn't mean the developer has to agree with all of Sony's design decisions. Besides, why would this be multiplat in the first place? It's a Japanese developer. About 10 people in total own an XBox One in Japan.

>unique perks for donating to your stream

Biggest cancer.

Oh boy, I love being Biggest D of the Month :^) or Least Racist.

If this was true I'd fucking applaud them. Youtubers only in it for the money shy away since the risk isn't worth it, while the smaller guys with balls doing it for their audience.

Sadly cancerous "gamer culture" is here to stay. Luckily you can still ignore it.

Which is what Atlus should have done: who gives a fuck about streaming either way?