Best Mario?

Lets take the nostalgia goggles off for a second. Is this the best Mario platformer so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ucK9bqmgnJA
youtube.com/watch?v=5FPsGKXNdvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ZCNn8_Cnl-0
youtube.com/watch?v=nCwsi679CoU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No

yeah

maybe

>Wii
>nostalgia
Fuck off

Yes.

>what is reading comprehension
He obviously means people would say the original mario platformers are the best.

The best, most inspired 3d Mario game was Sunshine. It is not only the most polished, but the one with highest skill cap in the entire franchise.

Hmm I'd have to play sunshine again but I would argue that SMG2 is equally as polished

Yes 100%

You may be right. I'll do the same, replay both.

>No Rosalina

Why even bother?

For me its SMB3

I liked the first better. The worlds had a bit more variation and it felt like I had more non-linearity in my choices.

some of them have bulges

I preferred Galaxy 1

>>no rosalina
user...

They replaced her with a better character desu

>Some

I'd give the edge to Galaxy 1 because of how fresh it was but I consider the two of them the pinnacle of 3D Mario game design.

Sunshine retained almost everything that made SM64 great. It improved on the controls and open-world design but scaled back towards a more linear gameplay design. Aside from shines in the hub area, you had to get shines in a linear fashion, but not as linear as the Galaxy games became.

I still prefer Sunshine over the Galaxy games but thats not to say that they aren't good games. I prefer the gameplay from SM64 more than what Galaxy tries to do with the formula. and I can't fucking wait for Odyssey

>It is not only the most polished

Hard disagree there. I like Sunshine and all but it's easily the least polished of the major Mario games imo.

Why do Rosalina, Daisy and Zelda have gigantic penises?

>heavily recycles its own levels

Nah, and the Green Stars show how much of a shadow it is compared to a real Mario game.

Galaxy 1 > Galaxy 2

This

My nigga.
The most underrated Mario game.

I think that's NSMBU now.

this is what Sup Forums has done to you.

OFFICIAL 3D MARIO TIER LIST

God:
Galaxy 2

Great:
Galaxy
3D world

Good:
Sunshine
3D land

No.

As far as the 3D games go, it's Mario 64. Mario has never controlled so well.

For the 2D games, the best one is Super Mario World.

And the best overall Mario platformer is Mario 64.

I'd swap Galaxy and Galaxy 2 but otherwise that's right as far as I'm concerned.

>not liking choco island and the FoI
>hating the special stages

kys, my dude

sunshine is my favorite due to nostalgia but it is definitely not the most polished

sunshine's hardly overrated

meant to say underrated

>Galaxy 1 will be 10 years old this fall

It isn't now, but it used to be. Now that the people who grew up with it are getting more prevalent it isn't underrated, but it used to be

Galaxy 1 of course. Yoshifags can fuck off haha

You're just asking for replies about smell

Even if you don't care for Rosalina's Storybook, it made Galaxy 1 unique and gave it a much more personal feel. Koizumi is based as fuck and the true successor to Miyamoto in my mind.

>Lucina out of nowhere

Every time, holy shit.

I didn't like them because the levels were too easy or uninteresting.

Special world I did like. It is rage-inducing in all the best ways.

Sunshine definitely had the best controls out of all 3D Mario games. The lack of stages really hurt it though. You can feel how much less content is has compared to 64, especially if you've 100%ed both of them.

Yep similar to Wind Waker, you can tell it was rushed a bit. The blue coins to pad out the shine count is very much a valid complaint. Still absolutely adore both of those games though. Wind Waker is still my favorite Zelda.

Rosalina is in it though you fucking casual.

>100%ing Sunshine
How, betweent the blue coins, gondola shine, and an absent memory not remembering which ones I've done that seems impossible short of using a guide

100% Mario sunshine made me want to kill myself

If nintendo ever remakes it, they need to tweak some shit

Sunshine started the slide toward the floaty, imprecise garbage controls that we got in Galaxy.

Make no mistake, I do like those games. But the controls got worse as time went on. The games lost most of their challenge because you can just auto-correct with ease thanks to the goofy physics.

Mario 64 was much better because it was tighter.

In order to get all the shines, I started a completely new file. Then I completed every mission without collecting a single blue coin. After that, I just used a video guide to find all 240 blue coins. That's really the only possible way to do it, considering there are a lot of bullshit blue coin locations. For instance, there is one blue coin that you can only get by spraying a certain blue butterfly in a stage with water. This blue butterfly is so fucking tiny that it's hard to see it even if you are looking for it. I'm sure that nobody has gotten all 120 shines without using a guide, it's simply impossible.

Never underestimate the power of autism.

People got every Korok seed in BOTW before any guides existed

Its good, great even but no

I never quite understood why people thought getting 120 shines was such a big deal. We used to 100% Sunshine for fun in our sleep when we were younger.

It's not /that/ challenging to get the coins.

Now, if you wanna talk getting all the exits in Super Mario World? We may find some common ground there.

No, it has the worst levels of any 3D Mario by a sizable margin.

Why lie?

*shrug*

Don't know what to tell you. Sunshine was never that challenging except for the auto-physics in the pachinko level.

I think a lot of it has to do with the next generation of people that played Sunshine after its initial release. They're generally lower skill and lack the same perspective on design that a lot of older gamers have.

Only right answer in this thread.

You forgot the lily pad on the poison river. Fuck that shit. I also always sucked at the rollercoaster balloon popping level.

You're forgetting another one.

Oh fuck that. Sunshine has some seriously rage inducing shit.

I think every mainline Mario game is at least good.

Like if I had to rate them

Amazing
Galaxy 2
Mario World
Mario 3
Odyssey will probably be amazing
Great
3D World
Galaxy
Mario 2

Good
Sunshine
Mario

It's more than you can say for a platformer like Sonic which is inconsistently mediocre or bad. At least with Mario you'll get a solid platformer.

youtube.com/watch?v=ucK9bqmgnJA

That's not that bad, and I prefer it to blue cois because you actually know where you're meant to be going

I assume this is that pancake guy?

Mario Galaxy series is super overrated. Not only are the controls inherently bad, but the level design is super linear and basic. Compared to all the technical moves you could pull of in 64, the Galaxy series has basically zero options. What makes 3D platformers interesting is how many ways you can achieve the goal of a level and the Galaxy games fail at this. Mario 64 will continue to be never surpassed in the 3D platformer genre because Nintendo focus on aspects that don't help the game feel or level design, instead the focus on flashy nonsense like the Galaxy series. One can only hope Odyssey will return the 3D Mario games to their former glory.

Huh... yeah, I agree.

Minus ten points for

>game feel

t. 64toddler

rosalina with a big fat donkey cock would be fun to play with and spoil her

I have a hard time understanding why people say Super Mario 64 is so "open". You pick a star when you enter the level and it gives you an objective. Yeah advanced players can use alternative methods/glitches to get the stars but generally there's one main solution just like in the Galaxy games.

S U N
H
I
N
E

The openness of Mario 64 is derived from the freedom of its controls and the central hub world as a method of accessing levels.

Literally people just want a big place to explore and have fun with between going to actual levels. Because that's where a lot of the magic came from back in the day when this game came out.

It was there to explore, so we did. The best stories came from the stuff that happened in between levels. A lot of developers don't understand this and try to shuttle you from level to level. Even Nintendo does it.

We can have as much fun, if not more fun by wandering and doing our own thing. But too many developers feel the need to show us where to go and force us to go there.

Maybe I wanna dick around with those trees by the waterfall for a while... I bet I could get up there if I did it right. And bam, you've got an hour of emergent gameplay.

I was recently replaying sunshine and while I did have fun it's just too much of the same missions such as

>collect red coins
>collect blue coins
>beat petey piranha
>beat him again
>beat blooper
>beat him again
>beat him again in another level
>catch shadow mario
>find secret
>remember those secret levels? now get the red coins!

I had to stop playing after all there was to do was collect blue coins. I wish they made it so you can keep track of the blue coins you already have.

3D Land shits on it, 3D World simply obliterates it out of this Universe.

Yes.
Galaxy 2>3D World>64>Galaxy>3D Land>Sunshine

Odissey has a good chance of surpassing all of them though.

3D Land was a lot of fun, but 3D World pushed it all a bit too far. Their control scheme combined with the Wii U's analog sticks (height and gates) left a lot to be desired.

Why yes, I really am that autistic.

Open endedness is overrated. Give me solid level design any day over non linear gameplay.

Both great games though, clearly trying to do different things, both successful.

Agreed. It's the only 3D Mario game where I just called it quits around 80 or so stars. Sunshine didn't provide enough reward in exchange for the frustration and effort.

So while we are on the topic of controls, what do you guys think about this? Someone is making a mod of Super Mario 64 DS, and in the process he is modifying the controls to be exactly like the original. He's releasing the control patch separately, so you can use it for the Super Mario 64 DS to fix the controls. Once he completes it, this could be the definitive way to play 64. I'm really excited for this personally.

youtube.com/watch?v=5FPsGKXNdvQ

You're conflating different things.

Mario 64's core gameplay was entirely linear with a mission selector at the start of each zone. But the hub world gave you a place to get away from that if you wanted. And if you didn't want to, you just go to the next level and are neither stronger or weaker for it.

This version is okay; however, they tweaked Mario's turning radius and it made the game significantly easier. In Mario 64, Mario will actually turn, rather than snap 180 degrees when you pull the stick back.

To be fair, Galaxy 1's hub did have some neat secrets, it just wasn't quite as big as 64 or Sunshine.

That game is superior to the original in every possible way. Except for its controls.
A patch like that would definitely put the debate to an end.
>Dem minigames

Also inb4 that assholes that spergs about artstyle changes pops up.

Your point is well-taken, I agree.

>when you pull the stick back.

The problems with the DS version pretty much begin and end with the fact that there was no stick on the DS.

Which is why Galaxy 2's linearity felt like a step back to me even thought it had some GOAT level design.

The level design in 2 was far better than the first one, I couldn't care less about the hubs in either game.

Absolutely.

When they moved onto Mario 3D Land the issues became worse than ever. The whole 12-point movement system was implemented because of the circular gates around the thumbstick.

This was exacerbated when Land became World and the thumbstick became a proper analog stick with height. All of their movement calculations fucked right up leaving you with a unreliable Mario to control.

Really takes the wind out of that game's sails. It was passable in Land due to the specific dimensions of the 3DS. Didn't translate to the Wii U.

Agreed. Some very good level design on display in that game. I don't fault it for that.

The controls were the biggest gripe I had. And admittedly it's a pretty minor gripe in the grand scheme of things. I still love the games.

dat music tho
youtube.com/watch?v=ZCNn8_Cnl-0

Game was okay. Luigi kind of breaks the game, but otherwise it's a lot of fun. The minigames alone is almost worth getting the game.

Galaxy 1 has possibly my all-time favorite game soundtrack. It's just gorgeous.

Why is he doing that? Why not make a Star Road 2? Who cares about playing Star Road again with DS graphics?

Galaxy 1 had the better soundtrack but Starship Mario is better.
youtube.com/watch?v=nCwsi679CoU

No. Galaxy fans are so retarded they had to release a tutorial DVD despite the game being one long tutorial as is.

Nobody got all the blue coins easily without a guide. You'd have to scour the shit out of every single level during every single shrine.

Both are so goddamn good. I love listening to this stuff in the spring.

I don't really want a HUB in Odyssey and I don't think we're getting one anyway since the top hate seems to just fly you to the different areas.

I like just picking a level and getting right into the action other than having to walk back and forth to get to the gameplay.

Starship Mario was shit, especially compared to the Observatory, there was very little to explore, and even new additions were revealed rather than hidden by that purple sack of lard