Morrowind vs Gothic 2

Which one of these is the king of all open world RPGs?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OeSL66olUi4
nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/67038/?
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=636014226
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Skygrim obviously.

Gothic isn't even open world

yes it is dumbass

Gothic 2 by all means

Love me some Skyrim with the girlfriend!

Pic related, Skyrim is just so badass!

But what about its lore?
youtube.com/watch?v=OeSL66olUi4

The only thing morrowind does better than Gothic 2 is the lore and amount of skills

Everything else is trash compared to Gothic 2

Skyrim with the wife is actually pretty great with the co-op mod; nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/67038/?

Couple nights ago we went through Blackreach together. Was fun.

Gothic II is the best RPG ever made.

take your trash somewhere else

I've been looking into that series honestly.

Do I need to start with Gothic 1 or is it relatively self contained?

fpbp

Morrowind hands down not even a contest

you should start with 1 because 2 is too hard for new players, 1 is easier, and there's shit ton of references to the 1st game in 2.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=636014226

Gothic 2

>hand-crafted open world with content everywhere and hidden stuff behind every rock
>better and more complex side quests
>more challenging combat
>Animated NPCs with daily routines
>Fully voiced
>Better character progression
>Better music
>Better world design
>More comfy
>More immersion
>Funny and memorable NPCs
>Memorable main character

Morrowind

>character customization
>more variety of builds
>better main story
>unique lore
>more freedom

>trash explicitly in the op

I love Gothic 1 a lot, probably more than Gothic 2 since it was my first game of the series (this seems to happen a lot with RPG series).

Gothic 1 lacks a lot of features, has less fleshed out controls and is generally a harder game to get in to these days compared to Gothic 2.

If you're really not sure, go with Gothic 2 first desu.

Spend 5 mins reading a how to play guide or video, there is no tutorial in either of the games and the controls aren't exactly intuitive.

I started with 2 but God damn it is kicking my fucking arse. Apparently getting it without the expnasion pack makes it easier? Although I'm not sure how.

>open world
>static player character
gross nigga

> I'm not sure how.

because in NoTR the LP cost for training skills increases with the skill

it's not "hard", because all you have to do is min max and focus on on one build, and save all the ingredients used to make potions that add permanent bonuses

As soon as the cost of training let's say STR is 15 LP per 5 STR it's no longer worth training and instead you use potions, ancient tablets, shrines and other ways to increase your stats

Also train your 1h/2h fighting skill to a new rank asap, it makes combat easier

NOTR made the game MUCH harder as players complained original Gothic 2 was too easy.

You are given some bonus stuff early in the game to help like the wolf knife but it's still several times harder - especially the dragons.

Yeah I know about all that, I didn't realise that was a new addition in NoTR.

My problem is that everything one shots me. For example, I'm trying to get into the mercenaries as a dex character, I have to knock out someone like bullco or sentenza who I do no damage to and they one shot me if i miss a block.

I may try turning the expac off to see if that changes anything. I'm playing with potion hotkeys aswell

I might try turning off NOTR if possible.
Although the hardest part of the game was finding the German mods to make it work

what weapon are u using? and what's your skill in that weapon

senteza and bullco are the same in base game and in NoTR

Not sure what to tell you, just keep trying or come back later when you're stronger.

I'm experienced at the combat so I could easily fuck them up at lvl 1 with a heavy branch, but you just have to git gud

Also
>potion hotkeys
come on

You play both.

>>potion hotkeys
I know! But at least I'm trying mate.

I'm using the 20 dex 40 damage sword with fighter level one handed and leather armour.

I don't think I'm terrible at combat, It's just that one fuck up and they insta kill me.

My previous playthrough I just cheesed everything with a two hander and Q/E spam which stunlocked everything before they could close in on me which seemed to work better

>As soon as the cost of training let's say STR is 15 LP per 5 STR it's no longer worth training and instead you use potions, ancient tablets, shrines and other ways to increase your stats
Actually the optimal moment to use all the perma bonuses is when the LP cost is 4:1. 3:1 is still a good deal and you wouldn't have anything to do with your LPs afterwards if you used the perma bonuses so early.

This should usually happen right before Act 4 (going back to the Valley of Mines to kill dragons).

>it's not "hard", because all you have to do is min max and focus on on one build
Or you can min-max like a maniac and actually make a viable hybrid, pic related.

the key is to block both his swings with one block, and knowing when to backstep

here's me fighting him at lvl 1 with a heavy branch, I killed him but I couldn't post the whole webm because it would be too long

In this webm if you notice the first swing that he does - he raises his sword up and behind his head, that's when you should hit him, and backstep or block

Basically you have to feel when he will swing at you, it comes naturally the more you play, I've finished the game more than 5 times

Morrowind, but Gothic 1 and 2 are both better than any other Elder Scrolls game or RPG in general.

Hey that makes sense, i didn't think to try and learn his moves. I'm gonna retry it.

>My previous playthrough I just cheesed everything with a two hander and Q/E spam which stunlocked everything before they could close in on me
1-handed weapons are objectively better precisely because they are MUCH faster (including backsteps, important) and can spam MUCH better.

All 2-handed weapons have are slightly more damage and range, but both are negligible compared to how much faster 1-handers are.

The whole trick to Gothic combat is timing and understanding the enemy patterns.

NPCs with novice AI (no 2-hit combos, use charge attacks) are very easy to defeat either by circling around them as they charge or simply blocking/attacking/blocking. See the webm, look how I'm basically doing circles around those 2 guys waiting for a window to attack.

Circling also works on orcs and animals, pretty much on anything that charges at you.

NPCs with master AI (does 2-hit combos occasionally, do not charge) are trickier. The safest strategy is to backstep when they do a 2-hit combo, run up to them before their animation ends, attack, backstep to safety, repeat.

Against animals, cricling and backstepping are generally enough. There are some exceptions but you will figure it out.

>increase difficulty
>by gimping yourself
No.

Gothic 3

Also general advice for blocking:

If you manage to block two swings with just one block, you should be good to hit the enemy and then backstap or block again immediately

If you only block one of the enemy swing (if you only hear that block sound once) then do not hit and expose yourself and just back off immediately

Yeah that's correct.

Blocking two hits in a row is tricky though, definetly not something to rely on.

Another advice, ranged weapons are actually quite usable at close range against charging enemies, as long as your damage is high enough to kill them in few shots (which should be the case with ranged, since they always crit).

This is especially useful at lower levels where you can't hit a damn at any distance, or very latein the game where you can easily kill an orc in melee range that way.