I miss when this game had a more serious tone

I miss when this game had a more serious tone.

there aren't any fucking serious tones in tf2

1999?

It was never serious, but I understand what you mean.

just install vanilla mods that remove cosmetics
oh hey thanks for reminding me to filter you on this computer too

It was never serious, just reserved. And I miss that a lot.

Well look at the Mann vs Machine trailer and the music from it for example. That's pretty serious. The music is intense and makes the robots seem very imposing.

I know TF2 has always had a lot of humor, but it used to be well-executed and serious and funny at the same time. The characters are funny but not in a foolish or randumb way.

That's the distinction I made by saying it was more reserved.

I miss the days where hats meant nothing to new weapons and I had like 40 camera beards in my inventory that I considered garbage.

As a person who never witnessed it from the very beginning, but still had to pay for it, could somebody explain to me just how cosmetics supposedly ruined the game? I keep seeing that argument pop up and it makes no sense to me. Even the earlier days when there weren't any cosmetics had equal amounts of shitters and higher-skilled players.

Sure, it's more of a noticeable difference now, but I don't think that can be blamed on people wearing a silly hat.

I actually don't care about cosmetics. That wasn't what I meant at all.

Where the fuck is my ctf_well valve?

They include garbage like turbine into the official rotation but remove the first official map added after release which itself is the best ctf map?

I know. I'm just asking about the people who blame cosmetics for the game's current state.

It changed the focus of the game from a shooting game to a speculaation and trading game with a shooting minigame.

it was fun for a bit, idling and selling hats for cash, but definitely killed the core community

I disagree. After manconomy 2010 I remember some people being obsessed but then trade servers appeared then they fucked off to those servers leaving community servers the same they always been from 2011-2013.

F2P didn't change much except inflating the numbers of traders in my opinion.

it's a fucking multiplayer game. even when tf2 was vanilla it spawned numerous stupid videos.

i've played since beta and the cosmetics haven't ruined shit. i mean the base game still exists on console, you can still walk around and see the dev commentary maps and enjoy the 'serious tone'.

cosmetics are the reason tf2 had support for so long. they are the reason tf2 is still one of the best multiplayer shooters out there. people who disagree are too underage to remember when post-launch support was nearly non-existent for multiplayer games. if you want to see what multiplayer gaming was like back then look at the lifespan of current battlefield games. people drop them the minute the new one comes out and move on,

>Shadow remove ctf_sawmill in MyM
It's a low-burning hate. Neon Annihilator pyros on defense and being able to put low-visibility sentries in RED 'courtyard' was a blast.

>CTF
What a fucking dreadful gamemode, it needs a serious rework and is only enabling why newer players always play so randomly

Fuck you are right.

I forgot how fun sawmill ctf was.

Funny they remove the 2 good ctf maps. Probably too "complex" for retardos.

God this pisses me off.

Thats why I liked ctf_well.

It's not as easy to camp the other team in that map unlike 2fort, turbine or double cross.

And the room with the intel is also too big to be shutdown by 1 sentry.

TC_HYDRO REWORK WITH KOTH-STYLE CONTROL POINTS WHEN????

My only issue is when the game went free 2 play. Seems the people playing knew what they were doing to the point where I would call it a hive mind. Even with cosmetics, the steam market was not that prevalent yet. But once things went free 2 play everything turned into a focus on trading and all the good servers seems to have died off. I reinstalled and played for an hour a month ago and the community servers were 90% idling and just finding a full 32 player player game was surprisingly difficult. Same shit has happened in CSGO where it use to have alot of 32 player servers but now its nothing but 5v5 match making or idling.

>if you want to see what multiplayer gaming was like back then look at the lifespan of current battlefield games. people drop them the minute the new one comes out and move on,

Battlefield games have changed more than TF2 has since cosmetics became its big thing, dummy. The last update that genuinely affected the game mechanics was the engineer update, and that was SEVEN YEARS ago.

Take off the Pcbro goggles. TF2 as a multiplayer game is dead. Right now it can best be described as an experimentation for Valve to see how far they can push micro-transactions and cosmetic craze. The old community has been dead for years now. It's nothing but a withered corpse for Valve and the last big server hosters to squeeze every cent out from its new mongrelized, Third World F2P retards.

>game loads and runs like ass now because they keep adding new things without properly maintaining the code or optimizing
>unusuals going near you will kill your framerate, even on a high-end rig
>can't properly play spy with all those different loadouts, because people are very recognisable
>there's always this one shitter spamming the chat to sell or buy shit instead of playing the game, ruining other people's fun
>toxic community hating on people that don't have expensive hats

There you go friend, 5 different reasons.

Only faggots, trannies and niggers care about "tone" in games. The gameplay is still good, fucking off yourself.

Oh its you again.
TF2 is alive and well no matter how mad that makes you.

>tfw retarded Soldier in expiration date

He was always crazy but that bucket/bread shit was too whacky for me, always thought of him as manic drill sergeant wanna be. Still liked the video, shame it was probably the last one.

>game loads and runs like ass now because they keep adding new things without properly maintaining the code or optimizing
Hitting 240fps on TF2 is easy. Could it be better? Sure, but it's absolutely playable.
>unusuals going near you will kill your framerate, even on a high-end rig
Never had this happen. I have 8k hours in TF2.
>can't properly play spy with all those different loadouts, because people are very recognisable
Yeah nobody ever plays spy because of cosmetics
???
>there's always this one shitter spamming the chat to sell or buy shit instead of playing the game, ruining other people's fun
How does this ruin people fun? These people typically still play the game. You can votekick, you can mute.
>toxic community hating on people that don't have expensive hats
I've never seen this. Toxic is just a buzzword you're using to negatively describe something without being able to articulate yourself properly.

>"tf2 is dead!"
>still constantly hits the top 5 most played games on steam

Name Current Players Last 30 Days Peak Players Hours Played
1. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive 430,485 742,356 285,397,680
2. Dota 2 417,294 956,232 407,770,983
3. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS 64,784 87,550 15,805,854
4. Rocket League 51,628 74,330 25,382,717
5. Team Fortress 2 49,929 74,656 36,862,636

>TF2 is dead
>5th most popular game on largest pc distribution platform
??
Are you actually retarded?

I've played a lot of controlpoint on well and I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the better ctf maps, but to me its just the core gamemode needs to feel less dragged out.

Mainly how damn long the briefcase hangs about if you kill the guy who swiped it, it just stays there for a long time until the timer runs out and all someone on the enemy team has to do is rush it just to reset it. If you could pick it up and have the opportunity to move it back to safety yourself, it would be a good change that has more going for it than sitting on it waiting for the timer to finish.

FUCK YOU KEEP HYDRO JUST MAKE MORE MAPS WITH THE HYDRO A E S T H E T I C GODDAMMIT

So basically you've never played the game?

Not him but no hats mod i used as last resort boosted my FPS pretty hard.

And with last one you either got lucky or wear hats. I get fuckload of salt even as an engineer who is mostly an aimbot tower constructor that does everything by itself because i dare to shotgun\pistol someone for free damage. I enjoy it in a way, chat is usually dead silent making me think i play with bots sometimes but hat thing does exist.

How the fuck did people get hats anyway? I've been playing since 2008 or so and i had like 2 hat drops the whole time, did have long breaks but nowhere near my backpack being filled with cosmetics. Did they get lucky with mann co. crates or what? Hear hats can be expensive as fuck so doubt you can whale for that.

I can agree with it taking too long for the brief case to reset, especially since maps are small.

Id probably make it so that the timer doesnt go back to 1 min everytime its dropped but starts from the time it was at when it was last dropped until it gets reset.

He was probably on about the actual game, which is a shallow imitation of it's former self.

It can't be hard that hard to see that if they make lots of cash from hats, they'd start focusing on making hats rather than improving the game. Because Valve now makes obscene amounts of money from cosmetics, the development focus has shifted towards making sure that cash keeps flowing. Instead of hiring say, someone who can upgrade their netcode, they hire someone who can market the hats better.

The entire philosphy and direction of Valve has kind of switched from making games to maximizing profits through micro-transactions, and not just in TF2. Paid mods on Steam are an example of this. Rather than improving the terribly buggy Steam UI and netcode, they try and find more things they can take cuts from. THIS is the sole reason development for Half-Life 3 has completely stopped as well. People criticize TF2 heavily for this in part because the introduction of Mann-conomy was the catalyst for this change in Valve.

Ah yes, and MacDonalds is gourmet cuisine now because lots of people eat there, am I right? But hey, MacDonalds was always fast food.

Team Fortress 2 is more like if your favourite high quality neighborhood restaurant became a chain for shitty deep fried chicken that was really popular in China. Sure, lots of people eat it, but that's not really in the interest of the local people, is it?

I'm not mad, there's plenty of other good MP games to play. It's just a shame that this one that was oh so fun had to become this monstrosity, that's all.

>Ah yes, and MacDonalds is gourmet cuisine now because lots of people eat there, am I right? But hey, MacDonalds was always fast food.
Your argument was that it was dead you fucking cretin. The numbers clearly show it isn't.
You're actually fucking retarded. Fuck me. An actual retard on Sup Forums. How did you even get here?

I wasn't referring to userbase though, more to the fact that is no longer developed by Valve as a multiplayer game. I refer to its playerbase in the next sentence, don't I?

Dummy.

Not a bad idea actually, it would force a more aggressive and coordinated push because there would be less room for mistakes to be made in obtaining it. Or else risk going back to square one at the heart of the enemy base.

If you threw on a time limit on top of it that got refreshed with each cap, it would make the stakes higher and each advance have meaning instead of being more leisurely.

>decide to check out MvM, didn't play much back then
>2 engineers put their shit inside some house or something which doesn't hit a single robot
>actually understand english but whenever i mention sentry placement there's silence
Wouldn't even be so bad if they'd at least give combat classes a dispenser to use instead of having to race to ammo packs at 1 hp.

I really should've played more when it came out. It's pretty fun since i didn't play much but fuck i'll never beat those advanced missions at this rate.

As the old saying goes: get friends to play with. MvM is such an awful mess when it comes to pubs, you get the retards who don't know what the fuck is going, and you have the elitists where if you don't play by their exact meta they'll kick you.

Last I played a game with said elitists, I was Engineer and as we were getting ready someone asked our medic if he was an idiot because he had the stock medigun on over kritz and as he went to say that he'll switch to it, he was votekicked off by everyone. We didn't even start and had to wait another 6 minutes before someone who joined begrudgingly played medic.