Videogame water graphics thread. Please post your favorite video game water

Videogame water graphics thread. Please post your favorite video game water.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zXNZwfRwGGs
youtube.com/watch?v=c6AsDUXbqZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=yc4BDAlnzyY
youtube.com/watch?v=8CcbG_6Mz3k
youtube.com/watch?v=jU1hueB_Frs
youtube.com/watch?v=pEX13W-IuLA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

muh grabficssss

Please don't be negative this thread is for water graphics only.

You just posted it man. Theres no debate here.

Arkham Knight has great water

Mario Sunshine still has the best and that was on the fucking GC. I always look the style of Wind Waker's sea too though.

>having shit-tier specs
>year of our lord and savior 2017

this.

Legend of Dragoon had the best water of all time.

OF ALL TIME

you can't convince me otherwise

came in here for this

This. The water effect makes this place very comfy. The magic fort under the water was cool too.

AC4 has the best water because unlike most games there are a variety of shallows and you can go underwater.

This one without a doubt.

And then you have the wide open sea with storms and water sprouts.

gtx1080?

Yes.

Man I absolutely LOVED this game as a kid. I got it on a hacked PSP as well but I lost the charger, and it froze during the fight with Dart's father

Crysis 3 had the best water caustics and reaction to bullets that I've ever seen.
For underwater crysis 1... holy shit. It's the only time I've seem chromatic aberration and not wanted to throw up.

Witcher 3 before those Polish kurwars sold out and downgraded it for consoles.

>all that aliasing even at 4k
That probably looks awful in motion.

To clarify I played it on PSX before the PSP

inb4 underage

Holy fuck that lighting.
Also i knew that Crysis 3 had one of the best physic.
It's one of the few games where i noticed "volumetric" smoke.
No wonder why most of PC rigs still struggle with this game in 2017.

Watch_Dogs has some weak looking water

>For underwater crysis 1... holy shit. It's the only time I've seem chromatic aberration and not wanted to throw up.
Yeah they did a good job with the CA for underwater. The lens effects from dirt was good too in that game.

It actually looks better in motion because I used TXAA. But, of course, in still pictures it looks like shit. Even in-game, if I stand still and look at the distance, all manner of jaggies stab my eyes.

Damned shame that the game doesn't support SMAA and the FXAA looks and runs worse than the TXAA option.

Dayyum

Crysis 3 is actually notorious for faking itself to be more demanding than it actually is. Maldo found that the game constantly fully renders a body of water underneath the levels of the game which has physics and tesselation applied to them, despite being invisible and utterly useless.

Sucks you didn't play Crysis 1 when it came out, the volumetric particles were mind blowing back then.

Is it DX12? You can force SMAA through reshade if it isn't. But yeah they just have too many mini waves going on there.

>miiverse is dead
>no more water guy
NINTENDOOOOOOOOOOOO

>Is it DX12?
I don't think so. It's idtech shit so I don't think it supports DX12 currently. That said, I did try to force SMAA before but it came out horribly. Didn't look any different and the game stuttered even more than usual. Pity.

I did play crysis 1 but i don't remember the smoke being volumetric (i don't even know if it's called like that, ie the smoke isn't 2d and is physically affected by the object, explosion, etc.).

I wish games could get boat wakes right, it's usually a pathetic little splash effect behind the boat with no physical effect on the water.

This 2002 wakeboarding game is the only one I know that got it right youtube.com/watch?v=zXNZwfRwGGs

why do you pozzed faggots only play cuck shit?

wildlands has better water

and the best gunplay and graphics of all time

I literally came to see this image alone

It's a custom engine based on idtech5. The real shame is that they didn't (couldn't?) use the idtech6.

>Miiverse dead

Wait, what? Is it?

It's not on NX so it might as well be

Might have been a case of couldn't since I'm sure they started work on D2 a long time ago, probably before id came out with idtech 6 enough to be used for Doom.

Can someone explain to me which is the effect that causes the light to bounce on the walls? Is it just SSR or is it the real time GI?

It's good but it's a little overzealous in some darker parts of the game. Other, much brighter sections, look beyond beautiful. It's one of those games which blurs the lines between concept art and screenshots.
I thought that was crysis 2?
Every little bit of technology in that game was just... like how the fuck do most games a decade later not have everything that game did?
>watching the rolling ocean current above you
>watching the godrays break the surface of the water
>gently bobbing up and down to the current and tidal pressure
>the water running down your visor when you get out of the water
>diving down and feeling the cold crushing pressure as fuck as the water becomes darker and darker

What? Why? Miiverse was great. Fucking Nintendo I can't understand them

nice water physics

It is. I didn't play 2 or 3 but Crysis 1's plants and all of the particles were effected by displaced air caused by explosions. Even the snowflakes were.

It also faked physics enabled water by emitting water-looking particles that were also volumetric.

>watching the godrays break the surface of the water
I love when games do that. At one point there was a mod for Oblivion that did it and it was beautiful.

youtube.com/watch?v=c6AsDUXbqZ0

I've tried doing research into the matter personally and I honestly have come to zero conclusions.
It might just be a well drawn and calculated texture for all I know.
It's definitely not GI because it has zero performance impact and looks great even on the lowest settings.
There nothing in the documentation either, it doesn't seem to be something the engine can do natively, it's a feature specific to crysis 3.

PUBG has some pretty good water

youtube.com/watch?v=yc4BDAlnzyY

Mgs4 has the best water. This video sucks but its the best I could find, anyone that's played in HD will know what I mean. And it sucks that there's only 2 places in the whole game with water and only 1 place where you can swim. Such a waste of top tier water tech.

It's just proper water caustics. Most games just have some fake underwater caustic but Crysis 3 does the job right.

It's an effect specifically applied to the water, not real-time GI by a long shot; the water itself emits its own light. F.E.A.R. also did it on a wayyy smaller scale. Can't get a video of it on short notice but the water and reflected light in F.E.A.R. reacted to getting shot like with Crysis.
It's just called Caustics.

>that fucking blowpipe
got so mad at how shitty it looks, made me drop the game

Anyone remember the water in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory? It blew my mind at the time

>Mountain Trail Riverside

Fuck, I don't even remember such an area anymore, let alone any area with a considerable body of water. I only recall the small pond outside the mansion in South America.

>when a game is themed around water and the water looks like shit

youtube.com/watch?v=8CcbG_6Mz3k

That's pretty damn autistic.

It's the place with frogs you can grope. That river was near a crop circle easter egg.

No idea why that user said anyone who played MGS4 would think the water was good tho. I bet 99% of people didn't pay ANY attention to the water in that game. I barely remember water either, I do remember the water his video shows though because down the river you can push a guard taking a piss in.

Everything else was hot garbage, but damn if the water didn't look good. Wish I could find a better picture.

There were barely any I'm not surprised you forget. It's so weird because you can tell a lot of work was put into it, theres only 1 small area with a muddy pond deep enough that you can swim, the camera goes first person and theres a crazy effect with bubbles and distortion on the camera I've never seen anything like it since. No videos of it online either I think I'm the only person who has an obsession with it

>tfw game came out before webms

I'm just highly autistic about water in games. I guess most people don't really care

Was AA f2p? It might be worth it to install just to make some comfy webms.

PUBG more or less just uses stock Unreal 4 Engine water, it's even got the same rendering issue as the engine's example water material where the screenspace reflections cut off at the side of the screen even though it's easy enough to fix and most games in the engine don't have the same problem.

I think it's more a matter of there barely being any water in the game. Like that tiny stream is something you run through in about one second so most people wouldn't even notice it.

Might've been imagining it, it's been over a decade. Could've sworn it had an effect on the caustics.

Empire total war

It amazed me when it first came out. I still love this game and campaign map size

Water in The Forest can be pretty dank.

Bad news - the game's pretty average.
Good news - the water looks really fuckin nice.

It is definitly water caustics, but the only PROPER way to do water caustics is using GI and raytraced lighting, which crysis 3 doesn't do. It's either a texture or a very VERY elaborate shader worthy of a doctorate-level thesis.

Arkham Knight has very nice water

Sunshine had comfy water

It is, thats not a bad idea.

crysis 3 has real time gi though.

But which game had the best rain?

youtube.com/watch?v=jU1hueB_Frs

it's not fantastic looking water or anything, but I love this game's sound design

Water on watch dogs 1 is amazing especially when it rains.

>that wall of wain where an awning is
fantastic

>up until the release of Battlefront, TFU 1 and 2 were both the best looking Star Wars games to date
>with an amazing physics engine
>but the gameplay was terrible

25 minutes remaining.

I don't think I have my character though so it will be a pain in the ass to get around. If I recall correctly I was a beta tester.

Have they fixed the performance?

Last I remember it ran like shit even on a 1080.

Homefront or Driveclub/The Crew

Runs worse than ACU on my 1070 so I'm going to say no.

Beta was better than release I swear

Fucking hell what computer did ubisoft have to run it at max?

thank you

Nvidia's patching made performance worse.

Are there any games with water like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=pEX13W-IuLA

MGSV

>PSX
It's the PS1, you fucking teenager. Piss off.

I always loved the aesthetic of Vice City.

I loved the water physics in that game, i wish more games did shit like this that could cause flooding etc.