Did anyone actually ever figure out how this shit works or did everyone just quicksave before every lock and spam...

did anyone actually ever figure out how this shit works or did everyone just quicksave before every lock and spam attempts until they got lucky?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7yul6Ae0lIs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what?
it's pretty easy dude, there is nothing to figure out

This is advanced bait.

Click the button when the top of the pin reaches the ceiling. It's not hard at all.

I still feel retarded to this day for not being able to understand how that shit works

i miss this system, the fallout 3 lockpicking that they've had in every game since is so fucking lame.

It's hard for millennials.

Your funny bud

If I recall you had to wait until it went in softly

After your like third lock if you havenĀ“t figured it out, then you are kind of retarded

i figured it out the first time i saw it?

I understood how it worked and could do it, but still fucked up alot.

I figured this shit out, and I was 11.

you have to set the pins in the right order, and to set each pin you have to tap it, then click at the right time. if the pins all fall back out you did it in the wrong order. my eight your old little sister figured that out in five minutes and here you are posting about it on Sup Forums at age 24.

She's so fucking hot. Who is this bitch?

>right order
Nope.

There's a sound that's a "tell" when you can set it.

fuck you for liking oblivions nonsensical lockpicking minigame. fallout 3s lockpicking is 6 gorrilion times better than shitty gay satanic oblivion lockpicking.

As a kid I never got it at all. Good thing there was unlock spells in the game.

There's no specific sound. It's when it touches the ceiling of the chamber.

The higher your skill was, the more often the pin would ascend slowly, making it easier to time.

>there are retards on this earth who didn't understand the lockpicking minigame

>nonsensical
You are retarded.

You time it to click the button when the top pin is clear of the latch

it went randomly at different speeds but never the same one, so you'd tap it until it went fast, then the next one would be slower and you'd do it then. it was easy to figure out, but still fuck upable

>these retards are the reason they resorted to the FO3 and Skyrim lock picking instead and will continue to do so

>you have to set the pins in the right order
Literally not true at all.

> if the pins all fall back out you did it in the wrong order.
If you mess up a pin the pins fall, and the number that fall is based on your security skill. If you have master security, none fall. If you have novice security, they all fall.

You know absolutely nothing about what you're talking about but you're acting like you know everything.

>There's no specific sound.
There is, actually, a different sound for when you can set it for certain.

You can get master /very hard locks on the highest difficulty straight out of the prison this way on the first try with no lockpicks broken.

then you have garbo taste, oblivion's locpicking trumps fallout/skyrim system any day

I knew a guy who didn't understand how hacking in F3 / NV worked

Honestly the lockpicking minigame was so tedious I just collected as many lockpicks as I could and spammed autoattempt.

There is a specific sound. And it doesn't work everytime it touches the ceiling. If you try to set a tumbler when the sound cue doesn't trigger, you'll break the pick.

>nonsensical
It makes perfect sense, you retard.

Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

There is 100% a sound, you can set the pin at any time with quick enough reactions, but a slow delayed descent is signified with a double click sounds instead of a single click where its much easier to set the pin.

who cares the skeleton key is one of the first things to get every playthrough

I wish vidyagames had more rhythm-based minigames.

Oblivion Lockpicking
>actually skillbased
>timing required
>as long as you're good enough you can open most doors

Fallout 3 and onwards lockpicking
>Tied to a skill level
>same tedious shit over and over
>never offers any kind of challenge

Wow, I didn't know about the sound at all.

Oh man, I didn't know this was you laugh, you lose post.

Once you hear it you won't ever unhear it and the lockpicking becomes quick and easy.

huh, you guys must not have played oblivion in a while. if you had, you'd remember that the lockpicking is actually 80% luck-based.

nigga oblivions system was 1000000x more skill tied than the later system, what the fuck are you on about

That's not a good thing, retard. Lockpicking ability should be related to character skill, not player skill.

Also I don't know what the fuck you're talking about since Skyrim's lockpicking minigame is about as "hard" as Oblivion's.

Im in the middle of an oblivion playthrough now and ur talkin shit m8

>tfw you will never again feel the tension of being on the final pin of a master lock while extremely low level
>pushing it up dozens of times, getting a feel for it, drying your hand so it won't slip
>holding your breath and waiting for it to fall down quickly because everyone knows it can't fall quickly twice in a row

and then you fail anyway

> Lockpicking ability should be related to character skill, not player skill.
what a shit opinion.

fo3/skyrim lockpicking is only hard because its an RNG crapshoot.

>Lockpicking ability should be related to character skill, not player skill.
This guy gets it. In an RPG, *everything* should be related to character skill, not player skill.

you can pick every lock in the game with 5 security

>not doing the pause trick
>not being able to open any lock within 10 seconds

wew

In later games, you can't even attempt to lockpick if your skill level wasn't high enough. In Oblivion, you can attempt Master locks despite being a pleb lockpicker and you can still succeed if you're lucky enough. What the fuck are YOU on about?

>Oblivion
>Can pick any lock in the game at level 1 but harder locks are a bit harder.

>Later games
>Literally cannot even try to pick locks unless you have the right amount of skill

>he thinks Oblivion is the system more dependent on skill level

If you mean it's tied to player skill, then yes, but it's not tied to the actualy "lockpick skill" in the game.

NV hacking is fucking ass, I swear to god, I had NO problem hacking very hard computers on F3, but on NV even the easy ones are hard as fuck for no reason...

>skyrim atmosphere better than oblivion
>morrowind melee combat better than anything
>skyrim magic better than oblivion
>skyrim levelling better than anything
>morrowind weapon/armor design worth a shit
>skyrim weapon/armor design worse than morrowind/oblivion
>morrowind modding better than oblivion/skyrim

Its like the focus group was specifically picked for having shit taste

whoever made this is missing a chromosome

>oblivion
>best NPC design

kek

>oblivion is fun
>getting stunlocked and 3-hit by enemies your level is fun

>morrowind melee combat better than anything
Stab a rat square in the face and miss combat

>>morrowind melee combat better than anything
>not wanting RPGs to use dicerolls

Congratulations, you're a cancer on RPGs!

no that's not at all what i mean

please try to pick a lot with level 1 in security and then with level 100

it's so ridiculous it might as well just have an "impossible to lockpick" prompt like the shitty later games

I unironically think Morrowind's system is best. I had a ton of thief characters in Oblivion and I got so good at this minigame I never had to invest in lockpicking and was always fine with the exorbitant amount of picks you get in the tutorial dungeon for the rest of the playthrough. I liked how you were always free to try in Morrowind if you had good enough skill OR a good enough pick, and how precious every diceroll with the better picks was. I don't remember if Fallout 3 locks you out from trying the same way NV and 4 do but that sucks. That said I still think I like the minigame itself more.

>He doesn't know how to walk left
literally beats everything in the game.

There is a distinct pattern with the tumblers. If I remember right; the push done right after the 'fast' tumbler will always lock in.

this was a pretty satisfying minigame. if you had a controller its a lot easier because the controller rumbles when the sweetspot is correct.

>please try to pick a lot with level 1 in security and then with level 100
Dude, I literally do pick very hard locks with low skill level in oblivion. You just need to get a feel for how the minigame works.

i love oblivion but holy fuck the nostalgia googles in this thread

that lockpick system was utter garbage, there's a good reason the fallout system became so popular

Two Worlds 2 had the best lock picking and there's a mod for Oblivion that adds it into the game.

It's fucking magic.

Picking literally any lock in the game is so easy it's trivial. You mess up maybe one pin in a thousand unless you're a literal retard.

Yeah, it's supposed to be considerably harder when you're shit at it. But it's still better that you can attempt it versus the game locking you out of it entirely. Of course, in Oblivion, lockpicking Master locks is worthless anyway since the loot inside it is scaled to your level. Still, having the option there and being rewarded with a shitload of lockpicking experience if you're able to lockpick it is better than being locked out arbitrarily.

Why would you do this?
Oblivion threads are healthy and get plenty of replies, the game is not at the point where you need to start a thread with baits to attract discussion like Morrowind.

im not saying it's impossibly, it's just tied to the character stat to a ridiculous degree, artificial difficulty basically

(You)

>Morrowind
>Best Dungeon Design

my fucking sides. Skyrims dungeons werent great but they sure as fuck were better than morrowind. take off your fucking rose tinted goggles

Everyone between the Ages of 18-35 is a Millennial. That's most the people on this website.

Stop shitposting.

I would quick save then mash the auto attempt button until it worked. If I ran out of lockpicks then I reload my quick save.

Here you go

If I want diceroll melee combat bullshit I'll play D&D or a turn-based RPG like Final Fantasy Tactics.

>wanting dice rolls in real time FPS combat

Who's the asshole now.

Dice rolls have no business being in any first person action combat game.

Dont be such a flaming autist, dice rolls are fine for turn based or top down crpgs, the morrowind combat is super immersion-breaking.

>comparing the worst morrowind dungeons and the 'best' skyrim dungeons

3/10

Almost dungeon in skyrim is a linear hallway with a secret exit at the end. You have to be bone-head retarded to think that's good design.

people born before the year 2000 are millenials? Uh, nope. Lrn2math

>im not saying it's impossibly, it's just tied to the character stat to a ridiculous degree, artificial difficulty basically
You have to be trolling right? No one can be this stupid.
How is a system where a level 1 can pick the hardest lock in the game with one pick "entirely tied to ingame skill"

click when it goes up slowly instead of when it goes up quickly and it will stay in place
when you get all of them, you win
if you fuck up, some or all of them will reset; fewer reset with higher lockpicking skill

>sucking at oblivion lockpicking

True plebe.

the melee combat is shit in every elder scrolls game. bethesda just cant figure out how to do it

This. After it falls down really fast, the next one is your chance to set it.

it is, that's a fact you stupid nigger

>melee combat
>morrowind
no

>git gud
>you now can open any chest difficulty at min level skill
I need to play Oblivion and actually focus on beating it, instead of just fucking around forever until I get bored

>first person action combat game.
Good thing Morrowind is a first person RPG and not a first person action game then.

>oblivion
>skillbased
It was retard-friendly and made the entire Security skill useless.
There's nothing wrong with making things skill-based, the problem is when they're so fucking easy like in Oblivion.

I loved the concept of Oblivion's lockpicking minigame, but it is so fucking easy that the Security skill might as well be removed from the game. Not to mention that the whole world is paused while you're doing it and your pick can't even break unless you commit to setting a pin, so a level 1 character with no skill whatsoever is still a master thief able to break into the most heavily guarded doors and chests with no chance of being caught so long as the player isn't retarded.

It's a shame, because the idea of a minigame that gets easier as your skill increases is the ideal implementation of this kind of skill in an action RPG. But the poor implementation of it basically stripped away the entire RPG aspect in a game that was already stripping away a bit too much RPG for my tastes.

To fix it, there only need to be two changes:
1. Make it real-time, so a patrolling guard, suspicious shopkeeper, or enemy in a dungeon can fuck you up if you're too slow.
2. Repeatedly tapping pins without attempting to set them has an increasingly high chance of breaking your pick.

This way a novice picker can still dick around trying to wait for the perfect tumbler speed, but they're taking a big risk by doing so. You can take all the time you want picking the chest at the end of a cleared dungeon, but at low skill you still might break your picks even if you're good at the minigame. The minigame will continue to get easier as your skill increases just like it does in vanilla Oblivion, lowering the risk of failure substantially. And for the retards who couldn't figure out how the minigame works, it's basically all the same to them since they still relied on the Security skill anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=7yul6Ae0lIs
Literally the only thing Two Worlds 2 did well.

That's not how generations work.

> Lrn2math
His definition is not the same as your definition, and nobody knows which one is actually correct.
Lrn2knwledg

it is but at least they're getting better

there's like 2 cool parts in the main quest, but besides that, you're not missing much.

>Everyone between the Ages of 18-35 is a Millennial
Maybe in USA and even then rural people are not really the same.

don't bother, it's garbage

I still don't know how it works, i just spam random words until it locks me out or i guess right. I pretty much skip hacking all together.

>Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years