You have to create a game mechanic that involves erasing time

You have to create a game mechanic that involves erasing time.

How do you pull it off?

Other urls found in this thread:

malware.wikia.com/wiki/Lose/Lose
youtube.com/watch?v=Jm2D7ohWos0&
youtube.com/watch?v=AjIoIBap8IE
achrongame.com/site/
youtube.com/watch?v=VYXhX8TyDVw
armorgames.com/play/586/light-people-on-fire
youtube.com/watch?v=GTQrlDzqUCA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It just works.

You'd basically have to copy Memento and do it completely backwards. You can't make the audience forget something they've already seen

give the player an eraser

woah

>press L1 to rewind time

>die
>restart from checkpoint

Make it so the player can rewind time, even on death, but each time he does something is erased from the gameworld. Enemies and obstacles at first, making the game easier, but overdo it and objects, enviroment, narrative and objectives necessary to complete the game get lost, making it necessary for the player to start the game all over again. Only a perfect run without the use of the rewind mechanic results in the true ending, though other endings and branching paths are available if you use it sparingly.
Easter egg: If you spam the reverse time button, you erase the entire game world around you, then the protagonist, then the entire game from your hard drive

Shadow of Memories with better graffix

This is fucking genius. Let's open that Game Maker Studio, motherfucker!

>erasing time.
How the fuck does that even make sense? I haven't read nor seen Jojo, but what possible explanation can they have to make any sense of this concept?

See

Your character has the ability to erase the past. Since its the past and you're in the present, you see no change. I just map it in the controls to a button that does nothing in the game.

give the player a future sight ability which shows enemy movement/attacks. Use the time erase by allowing the player to move while everyone is performing the foreseen actions and have the enemies be oblivious to the player's movements during erased time. also give it a decently long cooldown time like 5 real-time minutes to prevent spamming.

Does it have to be a gameplay-related or story-related?
>Classic FF-style JRPG
>You play through the game as a party of three characters
>Throughout the story and gameplay there's occasionally awkward moments where characters behave strangely, or do things that are more OOC.
>Only when you beat the final boss is the truth revealed that the 4th character made a Nier-style wish and got completely erased from existence, causing time to warp and bend to fit the loss of said character

This

I don't know time is hard and stuff

Is this a jojo reference?
I'm being serious, all I know about the stupid anime is there is a character called "king crimson" and fucking with time is a thing

So the Monado on steroids?

>what possible explanation can they have to make any sense of this concept?
There is none.

No.

Its hard to pull of a KC mechanic, too simple and it will become just a time stop/rewind/invulnerability feature, too complex and it'll become an autistic video editing menu simulator

I'd say make a not-prince-of-persia rewind that only affects yourself while everything else remains unchanged

Complex stand power are already completely bullshit in the manga, there's no way you could simulate them properly on a game

The timeline of some sequence goes A-B-C-D, lets say each letter means something happened, then C gets removed, so the timeline is still A-B-D but C never happened
As of "why", just overpowered powers

That sounds good in theory but its porbably a mess in reality

pretty much
That's how King Crimson actually works

Like Chrono Trigger where you change the bad stuff in your past or actually removing chunks of time?

Buy an Xbox one, your screen will be perfectly still all the time.

you start the game by only seeing the ending, the ending not being what you want, from there you go back to points in the game and erase choices you made.

>then C gets removed, so the timeline is still A-B-D but C never happened
But how does D happen if the prior event never did? Thats like picking up a ball, throwing it in the air, then it lands. If I remove the throwing it in the air, then it shouldn't be possible for it to land on the ground, and if its just on the ground afterwards, I didn't 'erase' time because it still happened.

It's literally impossible to make most stands work properly in a video game because you would basically need to code reality itself to reach a decent level of interactivity.

Not yet
>game where you get to rewind time, and keep events that happened during the reversed times

now it is

Would definitely play this

>it's an idea-guy thread
kys, you have no idea about game design

The game has no save mechanic. If you die/fail, you start from scratch. Hows that for erasing time?

There's an image that explains it like editing a movie. You have each instant of time like a movie frame. Imagine firing a bullet through a person's body and into the wall behind them. Each of those would happen on some instant, or "frame" of film. Now what if you edited out the frames of film that involved the bullet going through the body? You'd have a movie showing the gun firing the bullet, and it appearing in the wall, but at no point did it pass through the body, because that part of the "movie" got edited out.

>, but at no point did it pass through the body
But it did in order to get to the other side! In that case we would just cut to a dead body on the ground without ever seeing the bullet go through it.

Yeah. But, if you shoot a gun and kill someone, erasing time would leave the gun pristine but the person still dead.

That's the game- like a mix of ghost trick and that first level of Fahrenheit. Erase time just enough to cover your tracks but not so much they aren't murdered.

>Yeah. But, if you shoot a gun and kill someone, erasing time would leave the gun pristine
That doesn't make any sense! If they are dead then that means you shot the gun, it wouldn't be pristine. They can't die by a gunshot if it never happened!

50 first dates type game play where you have to make note of what happens throughout the day (maybe some kind of video recording in game mechanic) that pieces together a little bit of the day each day that passes, so eventually after time you get to piece together what happened to you and who you are and what your life has been up to this point.

Blizzard already beat you to it.

>if its just on the ground afterwards, I didn't 'erase' time because it still happened.
That's how it is
But for example if while the ball was traveling trough the air (during C) it hit a fly and killed it
That would not have happened after the time was removed, and the ball was on D

It's called "removing time" but its easier to understand as "efects of actions get removed but those actions continue like they happened"

>But it did in order to get to the other side!
Originally, but you edited that part out now. We cut to the bullet suddenly being in the wall, but since we got rid of the part where the bullet went through the body he/she is unharmed. Like the part of Pulp Fiction, the bullets just appear in the wall beind them.

>use core game mechanic
>game deletes itself

I'm a BIG fan of Joe Joe's Adventures, having watched all four anime season already and all.
But, can somebody please explain the BITES THE DUST magic power? I don't think I completely got it.

>It's called "removing time" but its easier to understand as "efects of actions get removed but those actions continue like they happened"
So it only doesn't make sense because the mistakenly named it. I can buy that, was it some translation thing?

>but since we got rid of the part where the bullet went through the body he/she is unharmed.
I've already explained how that doesn't work.

It's happened before.
malware.wikia.com/wiki/Lose/Lose

It's actually pretty easy, all youso simple a fucking kid could understand.

THAT'S THE POINT YOU SIMPLETON, THINK ABOUT IT LIKE THIS.
>BULLET WOULD GO FROM A TO B TO C
>KINGU CRIMSON~~~
>INSTEAD IT GOES TO A AND TELEPORTS TO C, SKIPPING OVER B
PEOPLE NEED TO STOP OVERCOMPLICATING KING CRIMSON, IT'S BASICALLY TELEPORTING THINGS TO WHERE THEY WILL BE AFTER 10 SECONDS.

mfw watching the part 5 trailer

it's a stupidly impractical time loop

it's more a conceptual, loose view of time

just roll with the inconsistencies

Zero Escape 4 (or Zero Time Dilemma) shenanigans?

"Removing time" sounds cooler

fpbp

youtube.com/watch?v=Jm2D7ohWos0&

>erasing time

All videogames do that :^)

Dating sim in which you have a time machine, you use trial and error to find out what the girls like and become their perfect man.

Alright I'm done arguing with you, especially since you are not grasping the simple argument I'm laying out for you.

Will do. Should I get into Jojo? My only exposure was that old arcade game. Is it actually good?

Bite the Dust sets time back by one (1) hour if one of two conditions are met.
>Kira's identity is revealed through ANY means (writing, talking, Heaven's Door)
>Kira's "target" (Hayato) is attacked
At which point time is set back by one hour. Major events will happen at the same time every time loop regardless of any change (lightning strike, tea set breaking, Rohan's death, etc).

So Steins;Gate?

just make the game lag/stutter whenever time is "erased"

Never played it. But yes, if it has that mechanic.

Back yooka laylee on kickstarter. Erases the time you spent earning the money you put into it

>Fripp actually acknowledged that dumb meme

I'll never understand that old man

>Alright I'm done arguing with you, especially since you are not grasping the simple argument I'm laying out for you.
I'm user #3 idiot. I literally laid it out in the simplest terms for you, and told you not to think about it as time, but rather as teleportation.
>Bullet takes 10 seconds to travel from A to B
>King Crimson activates
>Bullet teleports from A to B, skipping everything in between

fpbp

the what now

Sorry, all anons look the same to me.

I assume he's taking about Jar Jar's Bonkers Walkabout.

Someone help me out here

Many years ago I remember seeing an RTS that was in development. The whole gimmick of the RTS was that it logged everything like any RTS that records for replays, but the whole gimmick that set this RTS apart was the ability for players to roll back the game to a prior point in events. I don't remember what specifically but there were certainly limitations or limited uses on the ability.

I remember watching some gameplay footage and it was like 75% complete. It also looked cool as fuck in concept.

Did this ever get made?
Did I imagine it?

youtube.com/watch?v=AjIoIBap8IE
Here you go, user.
And yes, jojo is pretty good
start with part 1 though

Did you even bother to search 'time travel RTS'?
achrongame.com/site/

Machines (1999)

I bought a ticket to see King Crimson in June. There's $300+ bundle where you get to ask questions from the band. I should've got it just to ask him about it.

Yeah but I can't find anything about a trailer on google.

Remove the cause from cause and effect.

Basically King Crimson can make everything else in the universe stop existing for up to 10 seconds. Once those 10 seconds are up everything pops back into existence as if those 10 seconds passed normally, but they have no memory of them since they didn't actually happen. King Crimson also has 10 seconds of foresight, so he knows the best time to erase time. Because only King Crimson exists in erased time, he's immune to whatever was going to happen to him according to his foresight, but everyone else suffers the results of what would have happened in erased time. So if you were shot in the chest but that moment was erased, you'd go from standing up to lying on the ground with a bullet in your chest with no idea how it happened. If King Crimson was shot but it was erased, he'd be perfectly fine. Also if his foresight shows him hurting or killing someone, he can erase time and that person will still die because it was their fate, and he can only change his by erasing time.

Alright I trust you. Why would I start with anything other than the beginning though?

Also just to keep thread semi-relevant, this game is pretty cool with Time-Manipulation. I've heard Singularity is better, but I've never played it so I can't comment on that.
youtube.com/watch?v=VYXhX8TyDVw

Every main villain is a button on a DVR remote

>Why would I start with anything other than the beginning though?
A lot of people tend to skip parts 1 and 2

You have to create a game mechanic that involves making things really hot.

How do you pull it off?

King Crimson is a shit band, and just a knockoff Queen.

Seriously, the only good song they have is Epitaph.

Why?

Remake of this
armorgames.com/play/586/light-people-on-fire

Standard WRPG style game with a mechanic where you can take "snapshots" of certain areas or characters. Destroying the snapshot reverts everything back to the default state, all the way up to scripts and events, whether it be just the one character or the entire town/faction/even fucking world if you want. This means you can redo quests, rematch enemies, or just straight up kill a guy to see where the story goes from there then pop him back to life later on if you need him. The catch is that every time you do this The Council of Paradox Prevention gets increasingly more irritated and sends more and stronger hitmen after your head. God forbid you abuse this mechanic before you're strong enough to handle them.

ItCoCK > Red > Larks' Tongues in Aspic > Discipline > Lizard

>373066645
I won't even give you a (You)

Which era of Fripp is the most aesthetic?

80s aside from the tom jones look

This is (You), redditor.

the most simplified version i can give is that it acts as a complete opposite to gold experience requiem in that it removes the cause while leaving the effect of something

Does Sup Forums remember Braid?

I think that's a good place to start for this idea.

How do you make a video game mechanic that involves infinite torture?

Get fucked Diavolo

80s by far. Fripp always looked a little like a pedophile in the 60s and Bob Ross during the 70s, but it's the 80s where he looked his hottest and best dressed. He still dresses pretty well as an old guy though.

To be fair to Fripp, the '60s weird pedophile-ish look was intentional. Giles, Giles and Fripp, the band he was in at the time (which would later become King Crimson - Michael Giles was the drummer in the original lineup, an absolutely phenomenal percussionist that really drives the album and later inspired Neil Peart), was going for a very bizarre, Monty Python-esque sense of humor. Check it out, Fripp actually allowed it on Spotify. They actually recorded a prototype version of I Talk to the Wind (not included on pic related, their only album, though - check out The Brondesbury Tapes), which would later be the second track on ItCotCK, immediately following 21st Century Schizoid Man.

f__p

Sounds like Katana Zero

you shoot him with an infinite spin and watch him never be able to do anything again.

Only the results! In this world, only the results matter!

>80s by far
And how.
youtube.com/watch?v=GTQrlDzqUCA

>Why?
Because part 1 is kinda overall boring (for me until ep.4), both part 1 and 2 ( I find part 2 amazing) are pretty old (80s) so they will seem cliche/tired, just and they don't have the series main "power"/attraction: Stands.
Also, not that user.

>tfw nothing does cliches anymore so I genuinely didn't see anything coming.

nice, gave me a better idea: you can rewind at any point but the more you rewind the more corrupted the world becomes, which is also a way to make multiple storylines based on how corrupted the world is