What did he mean by this

What did he mean by this

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vZjOYca7lMM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

devs can get more from a console than a PC with similar specs thanks to it being easier to optimize for one platform

of course if you have a more powerful PC you'll be getting more anyways

The PCbros on this board deny this is a thing at all which is what pisses me off. Look at Kameo on 360 and then GTA V on 360. Tell me optimization isn't legit when they get the hang of it. But no. They deny it endlessly because they know almost no dev gives a flying fuck about optimizing their games on PC at this point.

The most autistic part about PC.ucks here is that they all act like they have high end machines hat can easily do the 4K 120FPS they keep creaming themselves about but all they really have is a toaster hence why they are on Sup Forums most of the time.

>PCbros
You can just say pc cuck and get around the filter
Also /vint/ showed us that all those pc cucks are hues that couldnt afford a decent graphics card let alone a console anyway and just cling to what the upper end of pcs can do out of some ass backwards monkey pride

This pretty much.

Carmack rarely says anything particularly controversial since he's such a weirdly cold and clinical guy, so it's bizarre to see uninformed people online get upset at some of his claims.

>3 years later and still posting this

that's dedication user

>weirdly cold and clinical guy,
Is it, dare I say, autism

I think there's a passage from Masters of Doom that goes into the time he was arrested as a kid for stealing a bunch of computers. The psychologist who interviewed him said that he was a cross between an autistic and a genuine sociopath, and I can kind of see how he was like that when he was younger.

I really need to read Masters of Doom

>le 8 year difference
definitely has nothing to do with advancements in game development in general at all

He means that it's easier to program for one set of hardware than for numerous. He also means that mobile parts are inherently fucked.

it's just john being john again.

It's a good read

>mmm, i'm losing control of my extremities
No shit it's autism.

Pretty much this.

Consoles, no matter how shit their hardware is (and it is shit) all have the exact same hardware. Optimize for one machine and you optimize for them all.

PCs are far harder to optimize for since there are a nearly infinite combinations of CPUs, OS's and GPUs.

In about half of the PS360 lifespan, PC components got around 4x as powerful.
The wording is also off. A console CAN deliver twice the performance of a same-spec PC as a best case scenario. A best case scenario that never actually happens, because optimizing is difficult.

It's true, yet Sup Forums shitters always compare Console hardware to it's PC equivalent

Developers can optimize for a single standardized console a lot faster and easier compared to the myriad configurations the PC can pose which leads to having to do a lot of optimization work.

This thinking is why Japanese games ported to PC usually have completely fucky and often-times stupid problems. Japanese devs do quick and dirty shit they KNOW works for the console they made that game for. Like, with Dark Souls, it never entered FROMsoft's minds that their mind "well PCs could run this game at 60 FPS and that completely breaks out Durability system where weapon degradation was tied to framerate because "LOL WHY NOT IT WAS QUICK AND DIRTY WAY TO IMPLEMENT DURABILITY!"

I have a very high end laptop and desktop and I only play rust.

>Console hardware to it's PC equivalent
No they don't, they compare console hardware to PC hardware that is much more powerful that also costs much more

it's not even optimization always but just knowing what hardware you are guaranteed to have and being able to take advantage of its features
i've written tons of software for work that takes advantage of specific hardware quirks

I see it all the time "x computer part can't do 4k" so "x console equivilant" can't either

>Kameo
Unlocked FPS, often hovered around 40-50

>GTA V
Sub-30 at almost all times, struggled to maintain 25 FPS.
Optimization really gets my gears turning.

>Consolefags still trying to convince everyone that their poverty boxes have that secret sauce when 95% of console games run like trash

He meant
>I am a hack, please disregard everything I say. Excuse me as I suck dick for VR money.

KAMEO WAS AN XBOX GAME, YOU FUCKING RETARD

youtube.com/watch?v=vZjOYca7lMM

I don't think this is true for mobile anymore. Android devices are very diverse in hardware and they essentially run a full OS. At this point you could say a console runs a more stripped down OS than mobile phones, plus they're actually identical.

>Listening to a guy who sold his ass to kikebook

And look at a 750Ti running TW3 the same as the PS4.

It's not true though, console optimisation is as efficient as PC optimisation of they focused on a specific setup. The difference is they don't, they try to optimise for every machine and their grandmother's toaster.

>it's not true
>proceeds to explain how it's true

He's right, consoles are optimized.

But what is sad is PC optimized games COULD deliver more than what we have now.

IIRC it was something along the lines of
>If you weren't caught, would you have done it again?
>Yeah
Awkward pause
>But I WAS caught.

I really have to read that book. mmmm

>Optimization

Knowing the specific hardware configuration will make compilers produce somewhat more efficient programs, and it gives some room for hand-optimization. Realistically, though, there isn't 2x performance up for grabs.

If you look at it in terms of utilization, it's possible. Only with a known configuration can you write a program that is guaranteed to max out the CPU, GPU, bus etc. If any of these varied, as they do on PC, any one could become a bottleneck. This is the only explanation I can think of for his 2x figure, and it's a strange goal to write software for.

Not the guy you replied to, but I had to read it for a class assignment and take multiple quizzes on it. I've never been interested in Doom, but the book is remarkable and kept me hooked. I couldn't stop reading it, I took it everywhere with me. yes, even the shitter

BATTLE AXE
BATTLE AXE

This. Shit is annoying how many PC cucks refuse to admit there are flaws in their platform and non stop shitposts how they are the greatest. They would be far more tolerable if they didn't circlejerk each other in their echochamber all the time. The only single thing PC can agree on is that they hate consoles. Everything else is just a different form of autistic console wars. GPU, CPU, etc.

>projecting

What he's really saying is
>user, what the fuck are you doing with your life? You're shitposting on a board that is about discussing children's toys. Grow the fuck up.

What is the difference between PC and console if they're the exact same specs?

The form factor?

Why does a 750 Ti run TW3 better than PS4 though?