Games that aged like milk

How do you tell if a game aged well? Is that when the game is good on release but its mechanics become outdated soon after due to finding much better solutions and handling? I didn't play Witcher 1 around its release, played only in 2015, and it felt atrocious. Pretty much only managed to respect the plot and the soundtrack, the rest was gobshite. But, from what I understand, it was considered good when it was released?

On the other hand, a game I still go back to and replay every single year is Devil May Cry. Older and somehow manages to hook me much more than the first Witcher. The gameplay is robust, moves are snappy and it's overall very satisfying. And, after all these years, I find it to still be a better action game than many others released after it.

Opinions?

Depends on how much nostalgia you have for a game, and how complex the gameplay is.

Something like Quake still holds up decently because pointing and shooting is still pretty much the same these days. But something like Warcraft 1 is pretty atrocious if you have no nostalgia for it.

Video games don't age. Witcher 1 is clunky because it was made by a slav company who had literally no experience in making games.

How much does nostalgia actually play into this though? Wouldn't it just make you biased? For example, I feel like Fallout 1 aged well while Planescape Torment didn't. I have played neither until 1 or 2 years ago.

>Witcher 1
>'aged like milk'
>Implying it wasn't technologically and mechanically aged on day one
Look, I know you wanted to use that buzzword, but really dude.

Witcher 1 was clunky as hell when it came out. CDPR released a patch that fixed little things some time after release, but it's always been a mess technically.

>Video games don't age
Standards change with time. Some games, I think, are good to the point where they define mechanics that stand the test of time and survive years after their implementation. Others get left behind. Maybe it's just that the standards for control responsiveness became stricter with time. Maybe it's just limited technology (like some old games having very limited inventories due to memory constraints) or being very early games in a certain genre and still needing to experiment with new formulas.

but witcher 1 is exactly the same as it was the day it came out
it's outdated engine and silly combat system never bothered me because that's not something groundbreaking in an RPG title

Planescape Torment aged much worse than Baldur's Gate imo.

I was considering replaying through KotoR 1&2. Anyone played em recently, they still hold up ok?

Witcher 1 was aged when it was released but it is considered good because it still has some of the best writing in gaming. Vizima Confidential shits on any of quests in the series and games in general.

Well, yeah, I just wanted to use the term, really. And Witcher 1 just happened to be the first thing to pop in my mind at the time. Like I said though, I didn't play it when it was released. And 2006-2010 was an odd time for me since I pretty much only played older games for that time, and had zero experience with open world RPGs. So my notions of what was good and wasn't at the time are pretty shit.

KotoR 1 and 2 are actually on my backlog. Already have them ready to install, it's just a matter of actually playing whenever I feel like it. Kind of reluctant, though, since the last SW game I played was Jedi Academy which, sure, was pretty fun (and by different devs), but it was extremely awkward to play and felt very floaty. Didn't manage to play more than 30min of Jedi Outcast. Maybe I'm being unfair because yeah, different devs. But man. Just can't bring myself to it.

>Games that aged like literal milk

There, fixed that for you.

Ocarina of Time
Half-Life 2

Are the big ones that don't hold up today.

What's the matter with HL2?

Glorified tech demo with kindergarten level physics puzzles (later perfected by Portal) and a bit of story waxed on.

this, witcher 1 didn't even look good at the time it came out (some of the scenery looked beautiful but other than that...)

nice low settings screenshot

Invisible walls

Also how can i ever play another video game after breath of the wilds openess?

>But, from what I understand, it was considered good when it was released?

depends who you ask, rpgcodex and classic rpg fans loved it, then witcher 2 came out and the series gained popularity, now it's a shit series because it sells good.

Witcher 1 is still the best game released in the past decade

>Also how can i ever play another video game after breath of the wilds openess?
Is botw the only open world game you've played? jesus

Considering it ran on the nwn engine, it looks great

answer is simple: nier automata
it fucking destroys any open world meme easily

HL2 has great gunplay you fucking faggot.

To perfect your bait you should have said FEAR though.