What was wrong with the gamecube controller?

What was wrong with the gamecube controller?

Shit d pad and second analog stick. That's about it. Aside from CLACK CLACK CLACK

nothing

Needs a select button and a second Z button. Replace the d-pad with the one used in the Wii U Pro Controller.
That's about it.

It's amazing for games it's designed for but the lack of a second z button, lack of a select button, and subpar dpad prevent it from being useful for emulation.

>that fucking tilted 8-way gate on the left thumbstick

It wasn't a Sony controller or a Sega controller so fan boys raged.

You have to actively hold it in position, whereas the SNES and N64 controllers were designed to rest passively in your hands.

shoulder buttons are god awfully stiff. Sticks are too
dpad is useless for anything besides menu selecting
c-stick is a little too far away
could be more ergonomic. Apparently it's design is terrible for your thumbs

D-pad.

It could have been bigger.

But, then again I do have giant gorilla hands and thought that the duke was the pinnacle of comfort.

The analog on the L/R buttons wasn't very responsive, and you could hear the buttons sliding against the housing even on a new controller.

no select button/secondary start button

no button mirroring the z button, just blank space. No real reason not to have one there.

Was a little bit smaller than it should have been.

Nothing

You can't click in the joysticks
The C stick is a nub and makes FPS feel odd
One Z button
Dpad is a tad too small

Other than that it's great and objectively has the best button layout.

idk maybe because the snes and nes controllers were fuckin flat you tard.

Literally nothing, still one of my favorite controllers to this day.

Here's the real question: What the actual fuck was Nintendo thinking when they made the N64 controller?

Seriously though, play any N64 game on an emulator with a PS4/Xbox 360 controller, or literally any controller that you can set up on a PC. It feels 100x more natural and fluid.

Needs more buttons for better third party support

it's extremely helpful for getting precise angles when you need to. I wish they kept the notches in later consoles. Having completely smooth circular edges makes it hard to hit those weird angles

I seems like a no-brainer to have kept the notches in. I wonder what their design rationale was to not include them in the future? Maybe cheaper to manufacture without notches?

Agreed
They kept it with Wii peripherals and I'm not sure how their controllers are now.

Awful pad, L and R buttons are a pain to use.

I like to press in the shoulder buttons REALLY hard when I'm mad

Wildly different stick quality. Most controllers shield drop angles are completely different

Most comfy controller IMO

Bad for shooters because of the difference in analog stick size.

playing REmake was a pain in the ass with the GC controller. Using the analog stick wasn't ideal, and the d-pad was tiny as fuck and awkward to reach. I also think Metroid Prime would've been better with the PS2 controller.

Not a bad controller though, just sucked for certain games.

I understand this need

No second Z/shoulder button
Typical shithouse Nintendo Dpad that everyone jerks off over for some fucking reason
C stick is tiny
No Select button or equivalent
Awkward face button layout

Comfortable to hold and good build quality otherwise, just a shame about the above aspects.

Played ALTTP with the D-pad the whole way through. I really liked it.