m.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw
youtube.com/watch?v=ul8j9I90ueM
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The game wasn't shit, git gud.

I still have no idea why Sup Forums praises this mess of a game

The game was easy as fuck
0/10 apply yourself

IMO Nioh had some great combat mechanics but was bogged down by a lack of enemy/level variety.It's a shame, really. I still haven't finished it and haven't played in a few weeks.

Still think it's a good game overall but it could've been much better.

You guys really don't know the meaning of shit.

What did you not like about the game?

>it's yet another identical thread by the same shitposter every day
epic op

OP is a faggot

Undertale
Katawa Shoujou
Any Bioware game
Witcher games
Any weeb game (not japanese, just weeb)

BEFORE THIS THREAD GET ARCHIVED WHEN IS NEXT DLC COMING?

The combat was very slow and clunky. The AI was also braindead to where backpeddling and smacking them around took care of enemies 9 times out of 10. The world was all around boring and uninspired. The weapons and armor that enemies drop are basically all the same with the exception of slightly better stats so you constantly have to equip the newest weapon in your inventory just for a few extra points. Other than that basically what
said. It's not complete shit, but it's definitely not on par with something like Bloodborne and Dark souls which it was clearly trying to emulate as far as combat goes.

I knew this game was gonna be bad as soon as I finished the demo.

I'm over the dark souls style. A friend of mine was so excited to play, now it collects dust.

Ask yourself, does your Nioh collect dust?

It wasn't shit but it was nothing amazing.

Better than this though

>the combat was slow and clunky
>in arguably one of the most smooth and unrestrictive games to ever exist
>cites souls games as an example of good combat
oh so you've just never played Nioh and instead just like to shitpost, that's a wrap folks

/thread

No since I got a refund as soon as I beat it. Thank god Bestbuy isn't like Gamestop.
0/10, apply yourself
I actually enjoyed Nier. At least the gameplay wasn't complete monotony and was actually fun despite how simple it was.

I actually really liked the demo, spent like 8 hours fucking around in the september one.

I kinda regret it though, it felt like i got over the learning curve before having the game, and the "new" feeling it could've had was lost.
I guess it's partly my fault but the enemy variety in the game was lacking either way.

Gonna go back and finish it sometime soon, maybe some time away will make it feel fresh.

No, you apply yourself you dumb fuck. In what possible fucking way is Nioh slow and clunky other than your own user error? If you can't comprehend the controls and skills that's entirely your own fault.

>Nioh
>Slow and boring as fuck
Pick both.

How'd you manage to spend 8 hours on a demo. God damn, I haven't been able to do shit like that since childhood.

I mean, I really liked Nioh. I also really liked the Soulsbourne games.

Going from Nioh to DS3 DLC felt like I was playing underwater. Nioh is just so fluid in comparison.

>implying souls combat isn't slow and clunky
>NiOh which derives from gaiden and onimisha somehow has slow and clunky combat

Did we play the same game? NiOh's combat shits on Soulsborne and is objectively more complex.

Yes, yes it does. Really wish I would have played the demo before buying.

to be fair, it was a long ass demo. The first two main areas of the game, the twilight versions of them, and a few other side missions.

It was surprising how much they put in there.

Jesus christ it's not NiOh, it's Nioh.

It's a fucking word, you don't need to capitalize each syllable.

Why so mad PCKEK?

It felt like I was playing a watered down dynasty warriors. Like the OLD dynasty Warriors. Or even Drakengard. I seriously don't see how you guys think the combat is fast paced.

I thought the writing in Nier was flaming garbage. I also don't like the genre switching, distracts from fleshing out the core mechanics deeper.

see

I feel that. The characters are pretty tropey and the game is clearly targeting a weeb/anime fan demographic. I can definitely see why it isn't for everyone.

Do you feel like Dark Souls is fast paced, in comparison?

I'm not saying Nioh is the fastest game to ever exist, but it's a hell of a lot faster than Dark Souls.

More depth, too, as far as your options. In Dark Souls, you're more or less stuck with the small moveset of your weapon (obviously you can equip other weapons, but they don't have much in the way of different abilities, they're very straightforward). In Nioh, you've got a good deal more freedom, and there's a lot more to each weapon type.

Using the spear to jump high in the air and then doing a plunging attack, sweeping them to knock them to the ground so you can do a ground stab, catching people with the kusarigama and pulling them close to follow up.

It also just feels a hell of a lot smoother. There's not as much recovery on animations, leaving you feeling as though you have more control.

Why even bother discussing the game when you couldn't understand it? What do you seek to gain by posting these threads every day?

Depends which souls game you're talking about. DeS, DaS 1 and 2 all felt a bit slower than Nioh for the most part.(which isn't a bad thing)
BB definitely felt faster, and maybe even DaS3, since it tried to be a hybrid between Souls and BB, which didn't work imo.

It's not the combat speed that really counts, it's what the game does with it.

>play the game exclusively in midstance using no skills and playing as passively as possible doing dodgeR1dodgeR1dodgeR1 like a souls game
>wonder why the game doesn't feel fluid or good to play
It's hard to tell what's satire here sometimes.

Honestly, no. Dark Souls isn't fast paced, but I feel the souls franchise managed to execute combat very well despite being clunky. My main reasoning for this is that the game rewards you for precision. Countering, parrying, and attacking at precise moments to achieve the best possible outcome. However in my playthrough of Nioh I found that merely backpeddling, kiting the enemy, and smashing the attack button sufficed as a consistent strategy in the game. I realize I could have gone about this differently, but when the game only offers the same tedious soldier type enemy that get monotonous after the 100th encounter I begin to grow bored. Maybe it's just me, but I preferred the souls combat over this game.

Not him but darksouls can be pretty fast paced. It's not lightning quick but having to precisely dodge and counter bosses and sometimes multiple enemies can make for fast paced combat.

I think BB is a bit slower than Nioh, but honestly they're very close in speed. It might be worth noting that, combat-wise, BB was definitely my favourite of the souls series.

I can agree it's what the game does with it, so let's look at what DS does with it.

You've essentially got two attacks, three if you count a weapon art. There's not really any variance; you can use the same longsword 100 times, and you will always have the exact same moveset.

Instead of depth there, they go for 20 different versions of the same weapon, in which there are 2 moves that are changed, generally.

In Nioh, you can customize your attacks, so heavy attack after a light attack does something different, or different combinations of buttons do something different, if you so choose.

There's a lot more to learn with each weapon in Nioh; the combat is more complex when you compare it to a game that's more about waiting for an opening.

It's not that Nioh doesn't have waiting for an opening at all, but it provides more options for creating openings than Souls games.

To be fair, Dark Souls can be easily beaten with the exact same strategy. Backpedal, smack, repeat. Pull the next enemy, etc.

If you ignore the depth in a game, of course it'll seem more shallow.

I started off just trying to be safe like that, but when I unlocked a bunch of skills for the weapons and started playing around, I found it a lot more fun.

Right, but Nioh has that too. And when we're comparing like that, it kinda comes down to the startup and recovery of animations; Dark Souls has really long animations, in comparison to Nioh, leaving it feeling clunkier, and slower. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's undoubtedly a lot slower than Nioh, which gives you a lot of mobility options (like in BB, with the lock on dash or unlocked roll, as one example).

>At least the gameplay wasn't complete monotony
Yes it was.

> one of the most innovative and landmark games of this decade
DELETE THIS! Reeeeeeeeee!

I know this is a meme thread but how the fuck do I beat this asshole and his hurtboxes 2x as big as his model?

How is Automata innovative? I passed it up based on the demo which I found really dull mechanically and thematically, with the only the appeal being the fapbait protag.

It was a PS4 exclusives and a souls clone what did you expect? People circle jerk souls games hard here.

you hit his hands, that calls him to fall over and then wail on his head (it always lands near the highest holy spot so you can basically have infinite living weapon)

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about Nioh to a T. I really enjoyed playing it, but man everything that wasn't the combat was kinda meh.

It's just nu-Tarofags.

They have never experienced a Taro game before so suddenly Automata is the greatest thing ever made and the cast isn't total dogshit.

Nioh is a solid 7.5/10. The combat is great, but the levels and loot system are dog shit.

Because of the ending.

pretty spot on. enemy placement was also pretty predictable.

I agree with this, and I just got back from playing both of them to compare. Despite souls being noticeably slower and more simple, the window for attacks and rolls feels much more strict, which creates that sensation that you're dancing with the enemy. Nioh didn't really have that.

>Because of the ending.

you mean the worst part of the game?

Those glowing circles refill your living weapon, so spam the shit out of it. Murder his foot or something and run up the ledges to pound on his head when he falls over. If you have a kurasama and reaper you can fuck half of his health off in one go, thanks to living weapon giving you unlimited Ki. You can also throw/shoot shit at him at any point for extra damage, but "killing" his hands or feet is what will bring him down for a huge opening.

If you examine every single drop the moment you pick it up, yeah, you are going to have a bad time. Finish the stage first and skim over your highest level/rarity gear. It's much more efficient and you won't hate it as much. It's not like you need the mid-stage upgrades past the first two levels anyway.

I don't think I agree with that. Souls games have very generous iframes compared to most action games.

I basically do exactly what you suggested with the loot, because I quickly got tired of checking this and that weapon. However, I also got tired of checking it after the level as well. In fact, I dread the parts between levels where I have to pour through tons of equipment to see if I have a marginally better piece. This is simply poor game design. It also means that you never really have to time to get used to a single weapon because you're going to find 5 replacements in the next 15 minutes. It also makes set bonuses a badly applied concept since soul matching your equipment become prohibitively expensive. Even in Diablo 2, whose loot system this game is based on, you generally got to use an individual weapon for a while before you found a replacement.

I guess I don't really know if it's because the timing is more strict. It may have more to do with the nature of the enemy's attack animations, but Dark Souls has this "dancing" feel when you fight enemies that I find quite pleasing. That makes Souls combat more fun for me personally, but I do acknowledge that Nioh has more depth and complexity to its combat.

>stunlocking enemy with light combo
>suddenly they become superman and stop flinching and hit me for 1/3 of my health
this is why i play extremely passive, any time i try to go for full on aggression the game just says no, even against human enemies

I still lmao when I remember how Sup Forums was btfo after this game was released. Everyone here was hyping it up as the GOTY. But after it released it turned out to be so shitty that Sup Forums decided it was better to outright forget about it rather than get embarrased when people shit on this shitty game. The only thread about this game after the release were either the pc petition thread or petition hate thread. Fucking lol

I spent my youth playing stuff like devil may cry and monhun so souls doesn't generally give me any sort of dancing feel, I just roll through attacks or away from them as the situation merits (not claiming I'm godly at the game, I still eat shit on the regular). I'm glad it does so for you though.

A good example of what I mean would be the fight with Gael, as I just completed it a few hours ago. His attacks come in these rhythmic swings. One, Two, Three, step. One, Two, step, etc... Felt like a waltz or something.

I haven't played that dlc yet so I can't comment. I kind of get what you're saying, but for both types of games I just memorize the attack patterns then hit them when they're done. Doesn't feel that different between nioh or DS. Though Nioh feels a bit more frantic to me.

I really like Nioh but there a wealth of retarded cheap shit.

>path to run back to a boss has a floor trap that stuns and kills you even if you block because it fucks your ki just long enough to attack you 3 times till death

>it's a you have to fight a raven tengu in a narrow mountain top where you can't help but fall off epiode.

shit like that is put in the game to annoy white men like me and I hate the Japs for it.

game is really fun though, complaints would be some uninteresting later levels and I'm kinda sick of it all by the end level, and fuck now I have to apparently fight 6 or 7 bosses in a row.[\spoiler]

This. Game was 2/10 but jumped to 7/10 route C. I had more fun on nioh than this game

m.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw

One thing for sure that I appreciate about Souls and was reminded of again when I played the ringed city is how absolutely stunning the environments and architecture are. Several times I found that I hadn't moved my character for 5 minutes because I was busy slowly panning the camera around to soak in every detail of the level. Nioh never did that for me and is one of the primary reasons I will never regard it as highly.

I'm a bit of a power games, so I just run through all of those beautiful areas barely registering them. I also speed read and skip boring looking paragraphs. I guess I'm just a pleb.

tried watching it but it was full of pretentious bullshit like the ending of MGS2 so I quit.

Plus he was listening to the Patriot AI, aka the same Ai that says this:
youtube.com/watch?v=ul8j9I90ueM

Shit, I go multiple stages before I notice my inventory is near its limit. Skim purples / greens for upgrades, mash green/purp/blue into materials and sell the rest.

Yeah, living of set drops is pretty harsh but that is why you can forge pretty much every set anyway. You get a couple good ones handed to you as freebies for completing the story, and the other recipes are all dropped by the enemy you'd be farming for the set drops anyway. It's really not that bad. Weapons of the same type are largely interchangeable and rather than soul matching to boost the level, you can soul match a good inheritable trait instead for way cheaper and generally more effective results. The blacksmith can do a lot of good, you just gotta make use of it.

Nioh is the most disappointing game I've ever played, but only really because I was hyped as fuck for it. The Alpha was fantastic, and even the neutered beta was good, then the game comes out and we realise that aside from the bosses we've basically already fought everything the game has to offer using every tactic. Then on top of that replayability is all but killed since as soon as you reach a new level you get gear that destroys everything in previous levels, and the unbalanced summoning just means you're wrecking everything in one hit as the host tries to keep up (before inevitably falling into water), so your only option is to keep level-specific weapons and sets of armour which is just retarded. Then as a cherry on top instead of tougher AI and shit for 'hard' mode (which they previously had in alpha builds, so wouldn't have been too hard to implement) they just fucking throw mobs around and double fights just making shit a chore. The core combat is fucking fantastic but they fucked up so much other stuff and I'm going to be assmad about it for a long time.

This

I called this nigger out the other day, so obvious that it's the same idiot every time

I dislike the gratuitous amount of filler Nioh has in the form of side missions. I hate not doing them because it feels like I'm skipping stuff, but the grindy, repetitive nature of these levels makes them incredibly boring. I would have rather they used the time spent creating a shit ton of bland levels on creating fewer, better polished levels. As it stands, I don't really have the interest to finish the game.

So I'm looking at what game to get on my PS4 after I'm done with P5. The shortlist right now is Yakuza 0, Nier and Nioh - I kind of want something that lets me push more buttons than an RPG if you get what I mean. Friends made me play DaS1 and a bit of DS2 which I didn't enjoy as much. People go on about how Souls combat focuses on precision, but I frankly prefer MonHun for that.
I know that Nioh plays faster and looser, do you guys think I would enjoy it? I'm interested because I'm also told it's a return to form of sorts for Team Ninja to the days of NG:B. Of the footage I've seen of it, a lot of people play really safe 1v1 and more or less perform the same strings at least to my untrained eye. Would you say there's a skill curve to how efficiently and creatively you can take fights? The only other downside to me is the loot system, but I can deal if the game is just a joy for your hands like an anime fighter or something.

Get Yakuza, then Nier

The combat in nioh is easy meme isn't true. It is easier than dark souls, but you're still gonna get your ass kicked if you don't level up/git gud. I find it quite similar to ninja gaiden.

issue is that in early stages combat is pretty meh, once you start getting more skills for your main 2 weapons though it starts to get a lot more fun and interesting