I want to play the Metal Gear series, but I don't know where to start...

I want to play the Metal Gear series, but I don't know where to start. Should I go in chronological order or in some other order? Should I use an emulator? If so, what is the best emulator? Help!

release order

What did he mean by this?

whatever the heck you do, DO NOT PLAY TWIN SNAKES. Play the original PS1 MGS 1

Release order. The story makes more sense that way.

MGS1 touches on the MSX games thoroughly enough that it isn't mandatory to play them, but I think they're worth playing anyway. MG2 in particular is one of the best games in the series in my opinion.

There's also Ghost Babel which isn't canon but is excellent.

Release order, no joke.
If I remember correctly, Substance and Subsistence are good versions for 2 and 3.
AVOID TWIN SNAKES, they add features that make it much easier and the plot is stupid.

MGS1>MGS2>MGS3

and stop playing

release order

make sure you play the first 2 Metal Gear games

can i get big boss rank if i play on easy?

Nope.

Someone really needs to update these now that MGSV is out.

fuck i suck at these games

Git gud.

Release order as everyone's been saying. It can be hard to go backwards through the games because the controls start out as deliberately clunky (you need to deliberately focus for a few actions, even something like running and gunning requires holding down two buttons in early games because shooting isn't something you're meant to do nilly-willy) and get 'better' as the series goes on.

Reminder that literally why bother playing if you skip MG1 and MG2. Also MGSV is not canon.

Play them in alphabetical order.

gonna go against what everyone else is saying here and suggest playing v first, then if you like that go play the other ones after

it's stupid to expect people to play a 20 year old game before playing the newest one

:^)

If you're on PC, just skip straight to Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. GZ has a readable backstory that brings you up to speed.

This desu desu

>GZ has a readable backstory that brings you up to speed

Wow man what a great idea. Why even play any of the games! Just read the tvtropes article on it!

Done.

Why is it so hard for people to do this? Why do they all have to fucking ask the same question again and again instead of following this simple rule.

>mfw someone says they haven't played all the games but they watched a playthrough on youtube
it happens a lot with MGS. bonus points if these people also say MG1 and 2 should be remade to be like MGSV or some shit.

None of the others are playable on PC, emulators notwithstanding.

If I don't have a Ps3 what's the best way to play these otherwise? Is the 360 HD version any good? If not, should I emulate or play the actual thing because I do have a PS2

it's not 1998 anymore

Most video game series in general should be played in release order. Mainly due to gameplay evolution.

Either release order or reverse release order, depends if youre the type of person who can't adjust to the limits of the game or not

Best way to play without buying\playing too many consoles would be MGS collection, MGS4, MGSV all on PS3, and also get MGS1 on PS store. If you have a good enough PC you can just emulate everything though.

Also MGS1 for ps1 is different than Twin Snakes, I like one better than the other but they are both worth playing.

>forcing yourself to play older less enjoyable games first instead of just playing the good ones
for what purpose

MGS4 is PS3 exclusive. MGS1 is on PSN, You can buy a used PS3 for dirt cheap at Gamestop.

ok im mad

What you are doing is equivalent to telling someone to watch The Hobbit and skip LOTR because it's old.

Why?

>tfw Metal Gear 1 is still amazing

play it

ignore this idiot, you should stop playing after mgs2

is this some kind of master bait or do you really not know that the hobbit takes place before LOTR

MGSV takes place before MGS1 too, retard. That's exactly why I made that comparison.

TPP>GZ>PW>3>2>1>4

your comparison is retarded because all of those movie suck and also playing an old game is different than watching an old movie

>All this debate over playing release order
>Just for a story that becomes shit after MGS4
>Meanwhile, other franchises don't have this problem.
>Even Kojima thinks MGS1-2 should be skipped by reading the comics instead

Just play MGS1 and MGS3.

MGS2 if you want.

But if you still must, MGS4 and the MG games.

Then ignore the franchise. The threads are non-stop autistic screeching about loving or hating the MGSV game.

Only true answer.

GZ > TPP

Hey.
Why doesn't Kojima use the Fox Engine for Death Stranding?
Do the engine rights belong to Konami?

>Watching The Hobbit

Thought MGS fans were suppose to have a decent taste in movies.

thats the point. The Hobbit sucks and is new. MGSV sucks and is new. They both followed trilogies which were considered modern classics. durrhurrrrrrrrrrrrr

>Do the engine rights belong to Konami?
Yep.

lotr movies also suck
telling someone to play mgs1 in 2017 is like telling someone to watch a 1920s silent movie

4 and 5 were great fuck off.

That sucks.
The engine has more technical feats than HZD.
HZD looks great, but it doesn't have much physics.

> not playing release order

>lotr movies also suck

opinion discarded, redditor. Go back to the hole you came from.

STOP.
I KNOW WHY HIS FACE IS WHITE NOW.
D E L E T T H I S

>not liking shitty normie movies means you're a redditor

It showed why his face was in the trailers before the game was even released. Are you less than 2 years old?

> watching the trailers and spoiling yourself

>lotr
>normie

You're trying too hard to fit in

No, user.
I won't scatter my post to the heartless sea...

What's wrong with playing the games in chronological order?

The series is really self-referential and by playing them out of release order you're going to be missing out on a ton. Also tone-whiplash.

the movies are pure normie tier you moron
i bet you never even read the books

Why did you mirror that image?

Surely if you played them chronologically you'd be getting the references just in a different way, right? And 4 would tie it up beautifully with the references now that I think about it.

>from the HD pack
>Missing the Skateboard minigame, vampire hunter minigame and snake vs ape

Literally anyone with an interest in fantasy read those books while they were in grade school. You're not special.

If LOTR is too NORMIE for you then by logic so would ANY MGS game. It's especially strange since you're defending MGSV which is a triple A title with tons of corporate meddling geared towards normies. I have a feeling maybe you're 18 or younger and werent really aware of how important those movies were when they came out.

How invested are you in playing through?

The rote answer to this is "release order" (Peace Walker is between 4 and ground zeroes), but its also just as acceptable to play either main character's story line individually or do the whole thing chronologically depending on what you're interested in.

Solid Snake's games (1, 2, and 4) are more Sci-fi while Big Boss's games (3, PW, GZ, and 5) are a lot grittier and he's a more badass character.

Just as a personal recommendation (Cuz I've argued about this a lot), you might try the solid snake games, THEN the Big boss games (i.e. Release order with 3 and 4 switched)
I recommend this because 2's ending gives these huge teases that aren't really paid off until 4 (blue balls), but if you play 4 first, you get an artificial tease of meeting a "new" character as an old person, then going back as big boss and meeting them when they're young. Also, 4's ending will have you thinking, "I NEED to play as Big Boss NOW".

I offer that last bit kinda like the "Machete" viewing order for Star Wars. I think it works.

The story is structured in a way that's most natural if experienced in release order. Peace Walker casually mentions both Big Boss's split from Zero (a plot point introduced in MGS4) and Les Enfants Terribles, a plot point established in MGS1. The significance of Outer Heaven at PW's end (or even Naked Snake's title of "Big Boss" as its given in MGS3) also stem from what we see in prior games. These are just two examples. The Philosophers and The Patriots are another.

Chronological order kind of shits on a lot of narrative tension.

MG1
MG2 (both included in mgs3 subsistence & HD)
MGS1 (psx original not the remake)
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4
Rising (optional action spin-off)
MGS:PW
MGSV:GZ
MGSV:TPP
everything else is a retarded meme opinion from people who like to overcomplicate something that is extremely simple

You don't know what a meme is.
The only meme here is that you have to play the games in the nonsensical release order (note how people mindlessly repeat that idea).

nice meme

acting obtuse to hide salt is also a meme.

Dude

MGS
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4

Throw peace walker and ghost boo boo in the fucking trash where it belongs.

Here we go:

>Metal Gear 2
>Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel for Gameboy
>MGS2
>MGS3
>Peace walker
>MGS4

You can stop after that

>cut PW and TPP
>Keep 4
What's it like having THE worst taste?

Start with MGS1 because it's babby's first MGS game, then play them in release order. I'd recommend playing the MSX games too, especially MG2. They come with the Subsistence version of MGS3 (which is included in the HD/Legacy collection on 360/PS3).

>Ghost Babel
>trash
That's some garbage taste.

4 has it's problems sure, but it has more charm then pw and phantom pain combined

No one has ever played Ghost Babel

"Ghost boo boo" means "Phantom pain"
Dude probably has no idea another MG game has "Ghost" in the title.

>"Ghost boo boo" means "Phantom pain"
Fuck I didn't even realize.

Ghost Babel has a better story than MGS1, doesn't look like shit and never has issues with controls.

Fight me if you disagree.

Start with acid then go mgr followed by acid 2. Next up is peace walker then mgs2. Then you want to go mgs 4 followed by mgs1 then mgs3. Don't bother with anything else.

Switch 4 and 2, then I think it would be truly engineered for maximum confusion.

Start With MGS 3 then MGS Portable Ops, then MGS Peace Walker, then go on to MGS V, then the Metal Gear 1 and 2 games (can skip these if you want, not much happens) Then go to MGS 1, MGS 2, MGS 4, and then Metal Gear Rising if you want pretty much all of the story.

MGS1-3 is the main core of the series. Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 on the MSX are also worth a go, especially since they are included with MGS3. MGS4 is basically a 10 hour long movie but it has its moments. Portable Ops, Peace Walker and Phantom Pain are when the series stopped being stealth games and became shitty base-building simulators. Feel free to give those a miss if you have better games to play.

If you have a PS3 then your best bet is to get the Legacy Collection, it includes MGS1-4, MG1, MG2 and PW. If you have a Xbox 360 then emulate MGS1 and get the HD Collection (MGS2, MGS3, MG1 and MG2) and you could probably watch the movie version of MGS4 on Youtube to get practically the same experience. If you don't have either console then you're welcome to try emulating MGS2 and MGS3, although I've personally never been able to get a PS2 emulator to work properly.

That's the chronological order, I should add. I'd recommend playing them like this after release order.

how do I play the MGS series in machete order?

CLASSIC TRILOGY
mg1, mg2, then mgs

POPULAR TRILOGY
mgs, mgs2, mgs3

RAIDEN LOVERS
mgs2, mgs4, mgr

BIG BOSS BROS
mgs3, pw, mgsv

3DPD
mg1, mg2, ghost babel

WHAT ARE YOU DOING
nes mg, snake's revenge, twin snakes