Cute character with a memorable and unique design

>cute character with a memorable and unique design
>interesting setting
>humorous writing
>mostly doesn't take it's self too seriously
>addictive gameplay
>great characters

Why didn't this series take off like Sonic or Crash? More people know Kirby than Ratchet, and he was one of the main faces of the 6th gen golden age.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c2485MmEBwI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Why didn't this series take off like Sonic or Crash
>Ignoring that there are more Ratchet & Clank games than Crash games, and more highly rated R&C games than Sonic games.

Why did it get many games if it didn't take off?

>More people know Kirby
Thanks to Smash, not Kirby games, which sell about as much as Ratchet clank, ie 2 million.

What? It took off. It had a fuckton of games.

If anything, I'm glad they slowed down on the series. It was hitting the point of oversaturation.

First game came out in 2002 and the series already has 8 games.
Also there is the movie, but im not sure if thats been canceled

the movie happened I heard it was bad though

The movie came out last year and bombed. Spectacularly.

>there are more Ratchet & Clank games than Crash games
false

>R&C
13 games

>Crash
18 games

Damn, I missed that completely

It's had several games and a movie.

What more do you want idiot?

as a fan of the games the movie was great but if i wasnt invested it wouldve been pretty mediocre

Huh, how about that. I was thinking of mainline entries but you're still correct.

As a huge R&C fan, the movie was meh, comparable to the lesser Dreamworks movies.

The series already peaked, tbqh.

Twice.

>not up your arsenal

I enjoyed the plot of the Future games.

The series has sold 30+ million units as of now, I think it took off damn well considering it's an exclusive series.

>size matters i the best selling R&C game

heh

Slow as hell opening and too much kiddy shit held it back.

>those Clank time puzzles
>the extra ones

Goddamn, that shit was amazing.

The first R&C game with good Clank sections. I was honestly shocked when I first played the demo.

Going Command and Up Your Arsenal are the two best games in the series.

I'm not sure how many more applicable sexual euphemisms are available.

I'm sure Insomniac can pull out another one at least.

It's not immediately cute like other series, a lot of the character designs are a bit offputting until you look further into them.
Also the focus on a poor story instead of planets in games like A Crack in time. The time puzzles were great but the rest of clank's levels were steaming shit

Sonic had an template for original character autism and was the face of SEGA.
Crash was the face of the original Playstation and his game was a must buy at the time
Kirby has a more iconic and simplistic charm.

Ratchet and Clank Deep Penetration?

>pull out

Didn't they stop doing that?

Only in the latest PS4 game.

The gameplay isn't all that good. It turned into a boring and mediocre shooter.

>Into the Nexus

Not really. Even the last game before the reboot can be seen as one.

Going commando is one of the only games I've ever played where the minigame segments were the highlights of the experience for me. I fucking loved the space fights and racing minigames and it's the only RC game with puzzle gadgets that aren't fucking annoying. I just plain don't replay RC3 because I hate the hacker puzzles are fucking miserable.

>I just plain don't replay RC3 because I hate the hacker puzzles are fucking miserable.
I've been saying this for years.

I liked how they were completely skippable in NG+. I didn't particularly mind the Clank segments in the previous games, but CiT's Clank segments would have sucked to do more than once.

Those puzzles are still amazing though, they're really damn complex but intuitive.

It's worse than that. Insomniac Games came out as Virtue Signaling SJWs:

youtube.com/watch?v=c2485MmEBwI

They've done non-innuendo titles before like Deadlocked and Secret Agent Clank.

Ratchet and Clank: Jewels of the Family

Oh here we fucking go with this shit

>A company that makes games about an alien cat and his robot friend make a video about US immigration policy
what

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the hacker was garbage
>tfw when you get through each slow-ass layer and they keep throwing more at you
The two puzzle items from GC at least had the decency to be over quickly or provide a decent little thinking challenge

Playstation was never really popular with the people who love cartoony animal characters, it was always "mature games for mature gamers" faggots so of course it isn't super popular
Hell if Insomniac mentions them on Twitter, all the fucking comments are normie faggots screaming WHURS MUH SPIDERMAN?

>there's a cheat to make the hacker puzzles HARDER
>but no way way to skip them

They didn't make Secret Agent Clank

Yes a series with over 8 games, a movie, and 30 million in sales isn't popular.

Think before you post nonsense.

>Crash
>Spyro
>Ratchet
>Jak

You are stupid.

Ratchet's not a Disney mascot. He's not even passable for a Pixar one. You need both.

Also not "cool" enough for kids these days. Liking a Disney ripoff like Sonic was okay in the 90s. Now you're called a faggot by your CoD playing friends.

That's why platformers stand no chance in today's market. Shocked Insomniac still bothers making them, if they even plan to make another game.

Where did Clank get a wiimote?

>they will never drop Zurkon

I liked Zurkon for about 3 games but they even had to stuff him into the fucking reboot. Just bring back shit like the agents of chaos or whatever.

>Just bring back shit like the agents of chaos or whatever.

they did

Only if they drop the Groovtion too.

Do something new you fucks.

A Crack in Time then.

Deadlocked was pretty trash, the first PS3 one was severely lacking too.

Shit, seriously? I don't have a PS4 yet so I haven't played it. That's nice.

I'm still mad about the father figure in the reboot/movie. I miss ratchet, the self made lombax. he had way more charm on his own, rather than as an apprentice to John Goodman.

>Deadlocked was pretty trash
shut your whore mouth

can you finally emulate rachet and clank games yet

my ps2 is dead and id love to play uya and commando again

I had my fun with it but it felt lonely without Clank. I don't even remember the two robots' names.

Chardee and Macdennis

If you're a competent enough person who doesn't mind messing with a few settings in an emulator then yeah, the latest PCSX2 dev builds have some decent mipmapping in HW support as of late and although it isn't 100% accurate it'll get the job done.

yeah but there not the cool upgraded ones that fly and have guns like up your arsenal

*they're

This: Strictly speaking, Sonic and the like were all not only popular, but used as mascots for their respective systems.

Also, you have to consider the shift in when they were used vs now. Now anything cartoony is generally unliked by the edgy as fuck kids these days. It has to be realistic and gritty in order to even interest them.

the first game is literally the best in the series. it's all gone downhill since, with the emphasizing of shooting over platforming and the retarded upgrade systems

No strafing

Deadlocked is a bondage term and secret agent clank abbreviates to SAC.
Sure, they're weak, but they're there.
I'm just sad they didn't get to call crack in time clock blockers.

Dude that's part of the reason why the series is still alive right now

>People arguing in every R&C thread over GC, UYA and ACiT
Can't we agree that all three (and to a lesser extend the rest of the series) are pure kino? I replay each of them every few years.

Who gives a shit, they've probably always had the same ideals and they're doing a video now for the brownie points.

You'll never get people to agree. Maybe I'm just a weirdo because I played pretty much the entire series in one long binge my first time but I couldn't find a title I disliked. I had good, solid fun with all of them.

Deadlocks is the one of the few games that is genuinely more fun with friends, but not solely because it's with friends.

Every part that the robots do for you? They're not there to help you in co-op, figure out how to do it yourselves.

It is by far the longest-running PlayStation franchise.

What do you mean it didn't take off?

2 is the best, it's still about the same amount of platforming as 1 and level design was same core principles (2-3 paths on each planet with either compulsory or optional objectives that usually looped round to eachother, but it also had combat that was far more intuitive and fun.

I don't care what anyone says: the ship flying levels in GC were great, easily the best flying in the series.

SEGA heavily promoted Sonic as their mascot
Sony heavily promoted Crash as their mascot until the ip got sold off which is when people stopped caring about Crash

>6th gen golden age.

i swear you guys throw the term "golden age" into everything now

>dude lombaxs are a big deal lmao
The writer they hired for the PS3 era onwards is trash, why do they not fire him?

people actually pay attention to the stories in these games?

Not so much the stories but the writing in general. There's so much based on this one fact that was just made up and everything's so low end PG space epic. There's no attempt at low brow comedy or making fun of dumb science fiction. Like when Skidd disabled a death field generator with a crow bar, that's comedy, there's nothing like that in the new games really.

>the green girl in the first game whose breasts you can make huge

>the remake version

I feel angry.

It came along too late in the Cute Mascot race. If it launched as a 2D game in 1989-94, then transition to the mentioned games later, it would be hailed as classic. It's like McDonalds, Burger King. Coca Cola, Pepsi, Mario, Street Fighter. In branding, if you don't launch early in the golden age*, you'll always be seen as an imitator.

Look at Sonic. Decades of shit games, but people still love Sonic more than R&C. It's sentimental legacy. And yes, it's sucks. But that's people.

*Yep.

dont correct me.

>14 games in 15 years along 3 console generations
>never take-off
Just imagine what would have happened if the franchise was succesful.

How does a series which has outlasted every Sony franchise possibly be considered as something that "never took off".

If anything Ratchet & Clank should be considered the mascot of Sony, not Crash, whose golden age was 4 games on one console before flaming out forever. R&C has lasted through 3 console generations.

See the asterisk in the top half, beside "golden age"? Then see the content of your post? I was agreeing with you, Mr. Austist.

>until the ip got sold off
Sony never owned Crash Bandicoot, Universal Interactive Studios was the owner of the ip, ND the developer and Sony the publisher of the games.

>tfw I was a Jak-fag when I was a kid
>never played any R&C game as a kid
>I used to shit talk about the games
>just got the trilogy on a sale
>they are way superior to any Jak game in every single way
I feel so ashamed of myself

PS4 PORT WHEN
I want to play it again but my PS3 is busted

Sorry :(

So are they actually going to continue the original series from where Into the Nexus left off, or is the movie tie-in game an actual reboot and all future games are sequels to it?

Does it count if there just guest starring? I mean there was a crash/Spyro crossover game, even if it was handheld only. Dame with R&C showing up in NOT-ssbb and Sony waggle-heroes.

I was under the impression the movie reboot was to just get Ratchet's personality and the general story in line with the rest of the games' tone. The first one was a bit more serious and Ratchet was brutal to Clank so they probably wanted to fix that.

Either way, didn't the reboot sell incredibly well? I remember Insomniac was pleased with it at least so here's hoping we get another game soon, seeing the new weapons, areas, characters, and glitches are great, not to mention the reboot looked stunning. As long as we get more of those "you can fly anywhere and there's collectible stuff" levels I'll be one happy camper.

I fucking hate that attitude about the first game, though. Wasn't the whole point of the game was turning Ratchet from a self-serving dick into an actual hero? Yeah, he seems nice enough in the beginning but he's never given any real motivation for anything until Qwark tries to kill them and he cares more about getting even than saving the galaxy. It's not until Ratchet sees Drek's handiwork that he puts things into perspective and decides to save others.

>The first one was a bit more serious and Ratchet was brutal to Clank so they probably wanted to fix that.
That's the best part of the original you asswipe, he isn't buddy buddy right away and there's a conflict. The remake was shit because it's just, "Want to be heroes? Yeah. Okay we're heroes now we're part of the big boy hero group look how cool we are."

>Either way, didn't the reboot sell incredibly well? I remember Insomniac was pleased with it at least so here's hoping we get another game soon

It did. Hopefully, it's a proper sequel. And hopefully, it comes out before the ps5 gets here. Unlikely, though. This gen sucks sometimes. There should be at least two Ratchet games buy now.

I never said it was a bad thing, it's Insomniac that wanted to fix that up, even Mike and Tony commented on how they felt like they made him too much of an asshole in 1. It was good that we had him grow into the hero he is today though, the reboot's Ratchet was awful, he screamed "I don't have an angry bone in my body" and him just being this incredibly happy-go-lucky Galactic Ranger felt way off.