Will TF2 ever make another big comeback?

Will TF2 ever make another big comeback?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m4-ihxoO8ag
wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/c/c1/Heavy_thanks04.wav?t=20131024062155
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i dont think so. meme shit like paladins can crank out 100k tournaments and tf2 has community ran stuff only after 10 years

If Valve figures out how to make competitive work and be fun for all, possibly.

Probably never and Valve would actually like it that way.

TF2 was an innovative and influential game that's had a big impact on the industry, but its time is long over. All of its good ideas have been repeatedly copied. At this point "Team Fortress clone" is practically a genre in itself now. TF2 is also starting to show its age really badly these days, with the bad user interfaces, glitchy spaghetti code, conflicting design choices, and inconsistent direction. There are so many abandoned features.

If Valve made a Team Fortress 3 I could see it being insanely successful, though.

TF2 was one of the greatest joys and then greatest disappointments of my entire life.

Nope.
The people who made it great are all gone, and the people who could fix it have more profitable things to do than update a 10 year old game.

This. I'm all for MP games extending their life with updates but ten years is defs way past the cut off point for me.

tf2 videos are trending on youtube
I never got too into the game, but I like to play 2fort for a couple of hours every week
tf3 when

truly no greater truth exists.

with only

At this point I'm not convinced there even are people.
It could just be pic related.

Dude the game is coming back

The matchmaking fixed the issues of shitty servers and most of the games I've been in have been balanced and friendly and social, people aren't absolute retards and it's fun like it used to be.

PUT CTF_WELL AND CTF_SAWMILL BACK INTO CASUAL ROTATION!!!

THOSE 2 ARE THE BEST CTF MAPS IN THE GAME WHY REMOVE THEM????

IS IT A LITTLE TOO COMPLEX FOR THE BRAINLESS SLUGS THAT MAKE UP THE MAJORITY OF THE TF2 PLAYERBASE?!?!

God damn, the state of tf2 pisses me off so much.
I got into it really late (around 2011) and I had a ton of fun with it for 3 or 4 years.

But valve have gone and fucked it up even more than they had by the time I started playing it.
The average player age has decreased from 14 to 11, and there are even more gay furries playing it now.
Not to mention how they keep fucking up with their weapon "balances".

why cant people accept when a game is over
everyone acts like all games are supposed to be immortal and remain relevant for eternity and if they dont the devs fucked something up
its a decade old
let it go

because there is nothing to fill it's niche.
Overwatch is an extremely shallow game by comparison, and is much more reliant on abilities than skill like tf2.

>everyone acts like all games are supposed to be immortal and remain relevant for eternity
because people are fucking retards.

There is still no game like it.

Nothing has its cartoony art style(and incase someone says overwatch, thats more realistic colourful that cartoony)

Nothing has its gameplay feel(rocket jumping, air straifing)

Nothing has multiple ways to play

Not in one package at least.

There is still nothing like this game yet.

TF2 fans are gonna become the next arena shooter fans, sticking to this game for years(even then some quake/unreal fans probably play tf2 just for that similar feeling)

move onto other games
the class-based online FPS was already past its prime when TF2 came out

To you perhaps.

But clearly not to others.

It'd be a lot easier for me to let it go if Valve could do the same

>HEY HERE'S A SOCCER GAME. WE SAW THAT OTHER SOCCER GAME WITH THE CARS AND REALIZED THIS IS WHAT OUR PLAYERBASE WANTS
>HEY HERE'S THIS SUPERHERO MODE OR SOME SHIT WITH FUCKNIG GRAPPLING HOOKS, AIN'T THIS FUN?
>HEY HERE'S SOME PISS EASY MISSIONS TO GET FUCKING PAINT ON YOUR WEAPON

I'm still playing tf2 for the exact reason that I don't want to move on.

I still to this day play games like q3a and ut2004 because I really enjoy the classic style of twich shooters. There hasn't really been a recent game that replaced those games, and so I continue playing them.

Same deal with tf2. There isn't a game that has adequately replaced it, so I will continue playing it.
You can't just tell me that genre of games isn't popular anymore so I'm not allowed to like it.

the only servers alive are the 24/7 on 1 single map or RP servers with bronies so nope unless they make a sequel.

As long as TF2, CSGO and Dota continue to pump money, Valve will never let go of those games to make something new.

most of their money comes from Steam
lets hope people stop buying games soon

STOP LIKING WHATS NOT POPULAR ANYMORE

are you telling me to stop liking this site?

poor balancing and the updates to fix shit were too spaced out

fuck the demoknight I was pissed af about it ever since it came out and was broken af, and I told everyone unless VALVe changes their attitudes towards balance (not balancing shit as long as faggots still spout "git gud") that the game will die a drawn out, painful death. I was right

next update is make or break
prolly break

because their plan is force their remaining playerbase who mostly plays 24 man ctf to start playing the game like the pros

the people who have been doing this for a decade and still have not figured out how to break 10k at most events

its like hearing that the anti-trump group the democrats got to fight trump are people from the hillary campaign

which happened

dear god why

Nope, only four people actually work on the game.

Having four people trying to get a ten year old game to the competitive scene and rebalancing all those years of updates and completely rework them is stupid. Valve could always just get more people to work on it to better test changes and effectively churn out more content, but why would they?

16 people
4 of which are programmers

maybe

>The matchmaking fixed the issues of shitty servers
Lying is a sin user.

>why cant people accept when a game is over

Because it didn't have to be over. People still play much older games than TF2 because they're great games. Graphics will age but gameplay can be timeless. TF2 was great once but Valve decided item shop sales were more important and fucked it up and haven't unfucked it. Of course people are gonna be upset.

THIRD
MOST
PLAYED
GAME
ON
STEAM
FUCK OFF ALREADY

With Overwatch existing, I highly doubt it.

But good games are immortal, I bet you have less than 10 years playing VG, if you had at least twice you would know there's nothing wrong with firing up a good old game.

The update removed the players like me to choose maps they want to play which killed the fucking game and the fucking metal prices too.

I'll get a comeback when the modders made the update are lynched and people can choose maps again.

TF2 has approximately the same average players it has had since steamcharts started recording data in 2012. I have over 1000 hours and I feel like there's still a ton I have to learn in this game.

what the fuck are you talking about dude, you can and always have been able to choose maps

you can pick your map

you just have to not be retarded

Media is a product of the times
Some things age better than others but most things will be irrelevant within a decade or two

Not him but they got rid of some maps though, like for instance what said.

Actually, the first week of Meet Your Match you weren't able to pick a specific map but the gamemode. You could pick Koth_Nuclues, you had to pick you wanted to play KoTH and HOPE you got Nucleus.

And if that wasn't bad enough you were forced to pick at least three gamemodes so there was a chance the game wouldn't even let you play KoTH at all.

Meet your Match wasn't just the worst TF2 update but I'd go as far and say it's probably one of the absolute worst updates any game had, at least in initial launch.

I have 3400 hours

Boy you have a long ride ahead of ya.

Yeah they removed them from casual matchmaking.

I mean they are still in the files of course and can be played fine but still what the fuck.

No.

I stopped playing for about a month after the MYM update. The game was practically unplayable

TF2 came out in October 2007 right?
I'm really god damn hopeful right now but I'm at least expecting another major update like Gun Mettle or Love & War.
I just want TF2 to be relevant again and if we don't get anything for it's 10 year anniversary then it is officially dead.

BONUS DUCKS
the only golden thing about the game is the comic. probably some community servers with 2009 fetish too.

I just want the comic to be finished for the 10th year anniversary. It would be the perfect time to answer a big mystery, such as the Administrator's motives.

all they had to do was steal some ideas from Riot, like actually caring about the fucking game and having updates often come on Valve

Am I the only one that misses loadout?

>create tc_hydro to fight the tendency of players to do things like play de_dust2/cs_office 24/7
>hydro is probably the most hated official map in the game

not while overwatch exists.

At least Hydro looks good.

>ctf_well
>ctf_sawmill
>ctf foundry
>just gone
I'll never forgive them. I still have old screenshots of me and some engineer buddies building nests on top of the buildings in ctf_foundry beta. fuck valve

It's comfy.
Overwatch is too colorful and chaotic.

They simply do not have the mannpower to do anything really good anymore, frankly it's amazing what they've managed the last few years knowing how insanely tiny the group working on it is.

I want to play a fun casual game with a fun casual atheistic and tone
Not a competitive game with a competitive atheistic and tone

Meet your Match was the worst update in TF2's history

> graphics will age

TF2 won't look out of date for another five years, the base game still looks insanely good. The visuals were lightning in a bottle.

If Overwatch was pushing COD-on-console or even daily CS:GO playerbase numbers they would publishing that shit constantly instead of hiding behind unique player milestones.

The fact is, is that TF2 did more damage to itself than Overwatch or any other TF2 "killer" ever accomplished.

Which is true of pretty much every "X-killer." The only one you could really make a case for is COD4 showing up and pretty much sending Halo the way of revival swing.

Aww man fucking Hydro
>playing that attack only mode where one side is defending until the time limit
>final point goes into OVERTIME
>last man alive as Snoipah, enemy final set up as engie watching out from final point with a sentry from that demountable at the top of the pit
>engie runs into cover the moment he sees me
>shoot the sentry and watch his worldmodel lean forward to repair it
>do it again and pop him in the head as he goes to repair again

>Have to queue up for multiple maps in order to not be in matchmaking queue for more than a hour
I just want to play a game of Yukon
Fuck matchmaking

Something like 50k players average. It doesn't need to make a comeback, at least not for years.

Change classlimits in competitive to 1.

FIXED

I think the game is still fun, and it's a testament to how a good game can survive even the most retarded corporate decisions, like the thoughts that went into matchmaking, or the balance. A lesser game would've been buried under less issues.

if the game dies, then I get the joy of knowing that it lasted a long time. If it doesn't, more hats for me. I can't lose here.

Fat chance. If anything I expect them to fuck it up even MORE with patches if it does. There's no stopping the Valve rape train once they get their best 13-year-olds on the balance team.

MyM was the worst update since f2p. The game was still playable up until then but its just shit now.

>baww the game is unplayable now
You can literally just start up and join a game. It's not fucking broken or dead or anything. Just play the game goddamn

>friend bitches about how shit TF2 is nowadays
>proceeds to play dumb shit like Overwatch and Dota 2 all day

>24/7 2fort/mario_kart_v2
>32 players
>instant respawn

It's far from dead nigger.

You get a match super quickly even on school nights.

You must not have played during its first few years. The game is a joke nowadays.

Given Valve's work philosophy, and how you can practically count the amount of people who are still working on TF2 with one hand. No.

>tfw still play daily
Overwatch is the closest thing to it and it's fucking trash

I've been playing since 2009

>queue for matchmaking
>guy named imnothacking getting instant headshots as sniper
>other team refuses to kick him
>leave
>queue for matchmaking
>the entire server is in a conga line and won't fight
>leave
>queue for matchmaking
>nobody is in the server
>nobody gets put into the server
>leave

b-but muh 2solly is the meta

>>the entire server is in a conga line and won't fight
>not kicking their asses and harassing them until they play or leave

>shoot once
>get unanimously votekicked
good plan

I wonder why Valve gave a single fuck about comp TF2; if ten years didnt make comp stand out nothing will.

Problem is not the game balance (at least not the main problem) but more the fact that comp is another beast from outside the realm which only people who want to play the formats are those how main classes.

Also with all the scummy shit Valve is been doing with modders (making them work on updates why not playing a single dime for items they go in) and mapmakers not getting good amounts of cash, the game just hit a roadblock.

But after all those problems, I have a deep love for TF2 and to this day I think it was the best game ever made when they hit the Engineer update-Mannconomy; after that it went to the ground

Yeah, the same year hats were introduced.

>Not reporting them all for griefing

I know they can't make a TF3 given their small team, but it's honestly what should have happened.
Games can have long lives, no complaints there. But after a certain point TF2 became a very different game, and should have used that excuse to just actually become a new game.

never post my daughter ever again

will l4d2?

no, but l4d3 is probably their next game coming out.

>I wonder why Valve gave a single fuck about comp TF2
they wanted to see if they could squeeze out some more cash before they let it go

still, greatest fps ever made? yep

Find community servers, personally I enjoy Deathmatch style ctf_2fort on NoHeros server. You can still win the game but normally it's drawn out for 6 hours. Skial can be bad but you have to know what server are good.

>Skial "24/7 teamstacking" servers

With the death of community servers I was waiting for shit server like skial and ego to get fuck.

They are still alive?

Yeah, strong as ever normally they're packed.

I think the most valuable thing about the game is the humor. There aren't too many games that are actually funny. If they just decided to end the game and make comics instead I would be ok with that.

>2fort
Haven't touched the game in years and reading the name of that map is a blast from the fucking past. Wow.

>ctf_foundry

No that grapple hook nonsense is no fun

>move random crits to melee
>force class limits in comp
>remove the chat bind command
Did I fix the game?

I have to agree.

I think one of the main problems with TF2 clones is how they try to be funny but they go full fish malk or they make them real bland and void.

TF2 is a good setting for funny stories. That is why End of the Line is so boring while Meet the Medic and Meet the Spy are both serious but very funny thanks to the balance

Fuckin Hydro lol

Obligatory Jerma video

youtube.com/watch?v=m4-ihxoO8ag

Are there other removed voice lines?

This used to play when heavy exited the teleporter.
wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/c/c1/Heavy_thanks04.wav?t=20131024062155

It absolutely still has the potential to, yeah

VALVE has to care, though. The quality of updates and the sparkle in their eye that used to be there has very predictably been on the downswing for the last 4 years.