Doom II Mods

What are some good mods?
I'm downloading Brutal Doom, any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RElfXigIe4c
doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/
youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA
youtube.com/watch?v=kVrEFFdKVnw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

FUCK YEAH, I GOT IT WORKING

>Brutal Doom

Kill yourself

Anything but brutal doom. Brutal doom is for shitter babies who can't deal with actually challenging gameplay.

Complex Doom
Ultra-violence gets pretty fuckin nuts.

h-doom

>I'm downloading Brutal Doom

thanks for complex doom

Why the hate on Brutal Doom?

youtube.com/watch?v=RElfXigIe4c

DemonSteele

are you me OP?
I got some nostalgia for Doom last night and downloaded Brutal Doom today.

I heard Nightmare of the Sin is pretty good. its based in Castlevania.

best megawad ever?

Brutal doom basically kills any resemblance of balance the game had. It also brought a lot of shitters into the community bitching at every forum post of a mod about 'brootal doom support plz (:' Plus, the mod maker is a narcissistic asshole who basically credits himself for the revival of Doom modding, while stealing and taking from others work.

Why don't you go ask /vr/ all about Brutal Doom support :^)

>kills any resemblance of balance the game had
Doom is not even that hard.

> It also brought a lot of shitters into the community bitching at every forum post of a mod about 'brootal doom support plz (:' Plus, the mod maker is a narcissistic asshole who basically credits himself for the revival of Doom modding, while stealing and taking from others work.
all of this shit is literally unrelated to how the mod plays.

Fucking retards playing ~~le Hard Brutal Doom 2.0 with lca and thinking the are good mods.

Nufriends like to complain when anything offends their delicate hipster sensibilities. Brutal Doom is a fun mod you can play, or choose not to. It plays well with some level packs and not so well with others.

If you like having fun you might want to try Brutal Doom. Or you can just play regular Doom and have fun exploring the hundreds, if not thousands of great wads there are out there. A great place to start is the /vr/ sheet or here:
doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/

There's really no need to get upset, just have fun.

arcane dimensions

It's complex doom you fucking retard.

has any video game fanbase been more buttblasted than doom grognards are about brutal doom

>What is Youtube

Brutal Doom is fine as a starting point for Doom modding. Once you've had your fill of that try project brutality which is basically Brutal Doom but with way more shit like multiple tiers of enemies and multiple tiers of weapons (I think it has 3 different BFGs but I've only found one, theres like 16+ weapons, and all I've seen have different modes, alt fire, and/or dual-wielding)

You MUST try Demonsteele at some point, I'll leave it at that.

Doom 4 Doom is great too, it changes gameplay/weapons/enemies so its like Doom 2016, you also earn credits as you play through levels to upgrade your weapons/suit. Non-base tier enemies will occasionally drop items that let you turn into demons too.

I'd recommend Jenesis for a custom campaign with brutal doom. Have fun with the evil marines lol

>Sup Forums hates brutal doom
>Sup Forums loves nu-doom
Really activates the almonds

brutal doom is pretty balanced
at least it was in version 19, the author keeps needlessly fucking with everything

Huh, never knew that. Sorry about the retards. I guess ill uninstall, get Nuts or something.

that one mod where you have a shielded suit and lets you drain your shields to power super-punches. i like how fast paced the mod feels. your guy would be stupidly overpowered if the monsters weren't all given substantial boosts as well, but they are so it's all good

I never knew it got that bad. Thank god I wasn't around.

Project MSX

>I uninstall games because Sup Forums tells me they're bad
can you be any more of a cuck

Metroid fans and Other M.

there are hundreds of good doom wads that are definitely hard

Thanks. I feel you aren't on Sup Forums too much.

Project MSX got abandoned pretty early but at least most of the real functionality is there.

Meta Doom's been fun as fuck for me lately. GMOTA if you want something different.

Speaking of, Metroid Dreadnaught seems fun. Metroid Prime in Doom.

Backing Project Brutality, which aims to be Brutal Doom+, basically.

Brutal Doom itself is fine dude, its just theres so much shit surrounding it. Don't let Sup Forums stop you from playing it

that's it. thanks

You should still play it. Just don't let it be a trap that you try and run every .wad with. Not everything should be BD.

Holy shit, thanks man.

HERE YOU GO OP
The guide to doom
1: get chocolate doom
2:play through Doom 1 and 2
3: play through some classic wads
4: do whatever the fuck you want

Don't start with doom 2 and brutal doom, ever.

It;s called taking advice, and not arguing about everything. Nice buzzwords, by the way.

You should honestly lurk the /vr/ doom general for a bit.

I advise you to jump off a bridge
don't argue

Ummmmmm....
I've played the shareware doom?

I said arguing about everything, faggot, not anything.

Play through the whole game on at least hmp user, you won't regret it.

Remember when SMIV cried about Doom 4 stealing his muh brootul shit? Good times

There's also DoomRLArsenal. Play like DoomRL with a bunch of different craftable weapons. Match it up with DoomRPG for a persistent experience, homebase, magic, combat drugs you can overdose on, bunch of shit.

I'd keep playing it if I could get rid of the Hungry. fucking freak me the fuck out.

Don't let the rest of the community shame you into thinking it's not worth playing. For one, they very often recommend mods that demolish balance. Guncaster (if I'm remembering its name correct) Russian Overkill, there's been tons of gun and gameplay wads that completely destroy balance as well as monster wads that do the same. They lash out at the mindless parts of the Brutal Doom community moreso than anyone who enjoys it whatsoever. See the aforementioned MAKE A BRUTAL DOOM COMPATIBLE VERSION type. Then you get the creators who sometimes troll about it. Sometimes it's even a legit joke.

You don't have to play vanilla Doom if you don't want to. Hell I find it boring nowadays.

You don't have to play Chocolate Doom but it's essentially Doom's engine with some limit-removing stuff for the later wads. I'd say this part is your call. A lot of the ones you use are going to need GZDoom to run. This guy is just offering you a chance to experience Doom pretty much as it was in 1994/5.

Some classic wads to try after Doom 1 and 2 are:
Hell Revealed 1 and 2, Alien Vendetta, Icarus, Scythe 1 and 2, Memento Mori 1 and 2, and Kama Sutra.

More recent stuff would be KDiZD/Knee Deep in ZDoom, Ancient Aliens, Jenesis, Going Down, and Deus Vult 1 and 2. Some of these are pretty hard.

Oh yeah, the Doomworld Community Map Chests tend to be fun romps with sometimes odd themes different from tech -> something else -> Hell.

Surprised no one's mentioned this:
Pirate Doom
Its got god tier level design and everything else is really great too

I'm going for Deus Vult first.

Good luck, definitely one of the harder ones on that list, especially playing on Ultra-Violence.

Jesus Christ, im in a hole in the wall, with a hundred imps outside.

Brutal Doom can be fun, it just isn't "Doom but better".
If you want "Doom but Better", check out Beautiful Doom, Cosmetic Doom, or most accurately, Smooth Doom. As long as the mapset doesn't change the weapons or the main monsters, it'll work with it.

Welcome to Slaughtermaps. Learn to make monsters fight each other and juke like a motherfucker. I didn't recommend Sunlust and it's a whole lot worse, difficulty-wise. It's generally recommended to take it no further than HMP unless you're a Doom god, it WILL break you down on UV otherwise.

It's a favorite repost but take some tips from:
youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA

Yeah, juking works extremely well, opening and closing the door while firing the chain gun got Me through.

go to /vr/'s doom thread and don't play brutal doom.

seriously don't.

Never have i clicked so hard, ate nachos and pop, and felt like a classic anime; in a long time.
Good mods can be measured in making you play it until your exhausted before you get bored for days. Good map set wads are the best.

It really boggles my mind.

I like Brutal Doom because of the splatter and SSG, but I hate the take downs.
That's why I loathe nu-doom, and the spawning demons, and the lock down rooms, and the shitty music.

For the actual mod I'd say it's had a fair deal of complications, whether it was gameplay or technical, and now it's bloated with all kinds of crap when numerous mods released in the past few years are arguably a lot more impressive technically and try new things, so as of now it's something of a technical dinosaur too which isn't surprising when Zandronum hasn't been updated in fucking ages. What I would like to mention is that a lot of the dislike does come from around the mod itself:

>BD developed its own fanbase that complains about how other mods and map sets aren't designed to be BD-compatible
>Other people glorifying it as Vanilla 2.0 THE WAY DOOM WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED
>SgtMark, the author, is prone to creating drama

So as you can see, a lot of people ended up getting tired of this bullshit. Brutal Doom 64 is evidence that the original was an absolute fluke and SgtMark hasn't really improved as a modder ever since. The original is yesterday's news, play Project Brutality or JDoom instead, they're good derivatives.

doomuc
cybie
wow

feature creep
shit coding
lead dev is a bit of cunt
horrifically annoying community

the mod itself isn't so bad though

>take downs
but they're completely optional in BD
like going through the whole game before realizing they even existed optional

best game ever

Not who you replied to, but even if I put my berserk fists into Smash Mode, I still get take downs every now and then. Possibly due to Mark's sloppy programming.

not him
i think there are settings where you can disable those

Check out this guy's channel.
youtube.com/watch?v=kVrEFFdKVnw
He explores some crazy and not so well known wads. I've probably downloaded more wads just from watching Icarus and going "ooh, that looks fun" than anything /vr/ has ever recommended.

It's been a while since I played original Brutal Doom, so I guess I'll give it a shot again. I'll probably wait for his next update though.

another one? when i played the 20b version it was fine with me, i was waiting for better 'fixed' gore
i havent looked into BD in a while too.

I do. I just wanted Sup Forums's opinion.

Wildweasel's mods were my favorote especially Diaz and the Stranger. Doom modding is kinda shit nowadays.

Any reason why you think that

the mods aren't as good and are overloaded with resource intensive effects and general bloat

A lot of them at least do offer some extra customization though, which is nice. But yeah, a lot of them still like to have more than ten weapons and it can be a bit much.

When did everyone get so fucking autistic over BD?

Bad Dragon is pretty autistic, user.

Brutal Doom on the other hand? You're pretty late, people got tired of the bullshit a couple of years ago.

All of these complaints are nothing about the gameplay or whether or not it's fun