Just saw this was on sale. Is it any good? What are the good/bad points? Can you play it without DLC?

Just saw this was on sale. Is it any good? What are the good/bad points? Can you play it without DLC?

>Is it any good?
It will be in two more years. Maybe.

How come?

It's developed by Paradox.

I mean what, specifically, is wrong with it?

Is the gameplay just not good? Is it buggy? What?

Too shallow for an X4 game.
Will be fine with 3-4 more addons.

It's fucking bare bones dogshit with THE most bullshit broken AI and RNG I've ever seen in a game.

I'm a casual when it comes to strategy games, but I really like it.

It just got a big update to the base game and a new expansion, but I haven't played enough with the new content to comment on it.

you have to hate yourself to play it

I rate it 10/10

>Can you play it without DLC?
i wouldnt

you have to remember its more of a simulator then a grand strategy game, Youre not playing to win but to see what happens in your galaxy and to your race

>Play on Easy
>None of the AI civilizations are strong enough to stand a chance against the galaxy threatening events and you will get your dick stomped in the endgame without them acting as a buffer.
>Play on Hard
>Get shit on by your neighbors

I love it. Combat micromanaging needs a lot of work though. You pretty much just build a diverse fleet that emphasizes the current best ship size and outfit them with a lot of whatever is overpowered in the current build.

The most fun I had was losing my homeworld early on when my influence bubble poked the borders of an overwhelmingly powerful fallen empire that was of the type that absolutely does not allow transgression on its borders, becoming a disgraced civilization, trying to avoid being enslaved or vassalized by my emboldened neighbors while I struggled to find habitable worlds and maintain my borders. Man it was just the best feeling coming back from all that, forging an alliance with some more friendly civilizaitons, vassalizing our enemies, bringing them to bare against the fallen empire, fighting a war of attrition where we could reverse engineer their tech and eventually turn the tide, take back my fucking homeworld, and all in time to fend off the fucking Tyranids ripoff invading our galaxy.

user, I asked this exact question a couple months ago. And while I don't regret buying this game, you should know it's really unfinished and needs a LOT of improvements.

The warfare is GARBAGE. It uses a "Warscore" system that heavily favors the A.I and forces you into long drawn out conflicts no matter how powerful you are. And unless your enemy only has a couple of planets, you won't be able to take over their empire in a single war.

The time system is shit. Every in-game day is about one second, unless the game lags and stays on the same day for like a minute without you noticing. Even worse is wen you pause the game and forget to unpause it or vice versa! This dumbass "real time" system makes building take for fucking ever, and makes combat infuriating because your ships will take days to cross a single solar system, leaving your enemy plenty of time to wreck your mining and science stations.

Another shitty thing about combat is that you can't control what your ships attack. As soon as they're near an enemy they engage it, regardless of how important it is or what you originally sent them after. And combat is entirely automated. So the only strategy is to send a bigger and stronger blob of ships at the enemy's blob of ships and hope you don't lose too many units.

There's a limit on the number of planets you can directly control without getting a resource limit. It's five. You can only directly control five planets before the game starts punishing you. Once you get more than five planets you have to start placing them in sectors so the A.I can manage them. Guess what, the A.I is absolute shit at managing your planets. Your people will be unemployed for years and optimal buildings will often go unbuilt. Plus since you can only control five planets, you'll always some difficulty building up your fleet since you won't be able to immediately jump to all your shipyards.

>X4 strategy game
>real time
holy shit what

use snare stations

read

Expanding your empire requires "influence" this weird magic currency that accumulates really slowly and is really hard to get. You use influence to build outposts that expand your border, colonize planets, invade primitive worlds (For some dumbass reason.) And various other things. Why the devs added another currency when they could've just staed with everything costing energy and minerals I will never understand, but the worst part about influence is that a lot of things require monthly expenditures of it, and that will drain your influence before you know till your at the point when you only get 1 influence a moth for the entire game.

Boosting your science output seems worthless since RESEARCH COSTS GO UP AS YOU EXPAND YOUR EMPIRE. For some fucking reason it takes a the dominate power in the galaxy longer to research railguns than it would a tiny empire with a handful of planets.

I could go on but I'll end with this. The game gets really boring once you have a bigger military and more resources than all our neighbors. You can essentially win the game without even conquering the entire galaxy, and I highly recommend that since, as I said, the warfare is complete shit.

Also, if you do buy the game, you're gonna be looking through the wiki and advice threads alot because this game does a piss poor job at explaining what a lot of things do.

How do you mean?

>Another shitty thing about combat is that you can't control what your ships attack. As soon as they're near an enemy they engage it, regardless of how important it is or what you originally sent them after. And combat is entirely automated. So the only strategy is to send a bigger and stronger blob of ships at the enemy's blob of ships and hope you don't lose too many units.
dropped

Are the player mods enough to make up for some of the DLC? I'm really only looking at the game because it's 40% off right now... not sure I'm willing to fork over another $40-50 for all the shit they added with the DLC.

Interesting. Is there no Medium difficulty?

Poor combat and tactics is a pretty big negative for me. I'd really love to find a game that resembles something like Total War Medieval 2 where you've got all the fun long-game elements with diplomacy and alliances and legacies and stuff, but where the combat has some actual tactics and stuff to it.

>Boosting your science output seems worthless since RESEARCH COSTS GO UP AS YOU EXPAND YOUR EMPIRE. For some fucking reason it takes a the dominate power in the galaxy longer to research railguns than it would a tiny empire with a handful of planets.

The game has plenty of flaws and is pretty shallow, but that's just full retard on your part. I always have the biggest and most technologically advanced empire by actually increasing my research output.

>The warfare is GARBAGE.
Truth. Not even mods can save it.

>The time system is shit. Every in-game day is about one second, unless the game lags and stays on the same day for like a minute without you noticing. Even worse is wen you pause the game and forget to unpause it or vice versa! This dumbass "real time" system makes building take for fucking ever, and makes combat infuriating because your ships will take days to cross a single solar system, leaving your enemy plenty of time to wreck your mining and science stations.
Or you could pay attention to the game you're playing and not leave it on pause. Also just hit the increase speed button.

>So the only strategy is to send a bigger and stronger blob of ships at the enemy's blob of ships and hope you don't lose too many units.
No you just stick a general with good abilities on the fleet and retrofit your fleet at the starport to have overpowered as fuck layouts and have your grossly underpowered blob annihilate the enemy blob of a much higher combat rating. Micromanagement is desperately needed for a fun factor though.

>Once you get more than five planets you have to start placing them in sectors so the A.I can manage them. Guess what, the A.I is absolute shit at managing your planets.
Yeah that is really fucking shitty but it kind of sounds like you didn't notice the button that lets them replace old structures since they always just build a bunch of shitty farms. Also make sure your sectors have leaders assigned that make fucking sense with what you want out of them. And always tax the shit out of them and feed them resources directly. But don't actually forget to feed them resources or nothing gets built.

Sup Forums Can I run stellaris with a Geforce GTX 765Mm card when all other specification meet the recommended?

>Micromanagement is desperately needed for a fun factor though
Interesting definition of "fun".

Probably? It doesn't take a lot to run it from gfx perspective. Only needs good cpu.

I just downloaded the newest DLC, I'm trying it tonight. The game is fun, people bitching above need to learn how to RTS it's a dying skill

There's a lot of customization, you can design your own empire and the latest free update fixed alot of problems with economy and empire building in my eyes.

It's cool making a hive mind fungus people that enslave all xenos

Can i make humans and go on a crusade to purge all mutants and xenos?

You can do anything

Yeah, moving your fucking ships to different targets and distances manually is a lot more fun than tossing them at each other in globs and letting space god sort them out. The fuck did you think I meant?

For love?

Should i get this or sins of a solar empire?

You can literally enslave species and specifically make them in pleasure slaves, so yes.

Neither.

Are you more interested in combat, or the civilization/empire building and management.

Biggest empire on the map but it's still taking 100+ months research the endgame tech.

For anyone who has the new DLC. What are the Ascension paths like?

Is turning my entire species into robots or psychic energy beings worth it?

Little of both would be nice, what are the strong points of each game?

Why did you link your post to me?

I wouldn't say it is a strong point of the game, but if you want a more typical space RTS with some 4X elements Sins of a Solar Empire is the way to go. Stellaris is a Paradox grand strategy game in space, the combat is for the most part out of your control.

Sorry forgot to delete the link.

it's master of orion but not as good

Salt the slugs
Spacewar now

whats the ultimate space game or general strategy that isn't to complex to get into?

last game i played hardcore was Shogun 2

cheers

Does Master of Orion have good combat?

Go old school. Empire at War

>Only +200 research

I think I found your problem. gotta make one or two of your sectors research monkeys as well.

Stellaris, probably. It is even easier to get into than Crusader Kings II

yeah

turn based

wtf

Absolutely disgusting. I bet Sins of a Solar Empire blows this piece of shit game out of the water

Did they ever fix it so that when you uplift a low tech species to be your vassal that you can properly integrate them into your empire?

So the consensus I'm getting from this thread is that vanilla Stellaris is kind of meh.

Can't afford all that DLC, are there any good mods that make solid improvements to the game?

It's boring and shallow. All species play the same.
You can play without DLC, for now, but eventually thr base game will have so many features locked behind DLC it'll feel like a freemium phone game

Fucking pirate it nigger. Don't be an idiot

Should I get company of heroes or supreme commander?
Love me some rts but also really bad at them, need some action, not muh politics.

Will I regret it? I'm a casual with strategy games and the only paradox game I've properly played is HOI4 which I really enjoyed.

It's fucking garbage, like all Paradox games.

>is it any good
It has an interesting early game but a really long and boring midgame. I've never reached the endgame since I always got bored.
>dlc
It's a paradox game so it will have lots of jewish dlcs and things that really should have been in the base game. It hasn't been out too long so there's isn't that much yet.
However because it's a paradox game you can easily pirate the dlc and just buy the base version.

tl;dr
no
buy the game and pirate the dlc if you want

Paradox does not release games. They release performance art pieces that bemoan the modern state of videogames and overpriced DLC.

Pfft, did you like, not realize you could get research points from structures and tried to take over research based celestial objects?

So what are some other games that let me create my own civilization and conquer the galaxy?

Is Galactic Civilizations 3 any good?

sins of a solar empire is a real time 4X game.

stellaris is a real time crusader kings

HAHAHAHAHAHA-no

>.
>There's a limit on the number of planets you can directly control without getting a resource limit. It's five

fuck dude when i play master of orion or master of magic i ususally manually cotrol everything until i have ~24 cities / plaanets / etc.

There are. It's still kind of shit but it's solidly improved shit.

Any you'd recommend?

does patch itself without buying dlcs allows you to ascend into robots?

It's more of a zoom out sort of thing. You manage five planets before you have to move on to managing sectors. One reason he seems to have a problem with sectors is that he doesn't know how to manage them properly. Here's the problem, the game doesn't fucking explain how to manage them properly and it IS a really obtuse shitty system for managing them. But ultimately it doesn't feel much different from how you start the game, developing nodes in systems as resource generators while you funnel resources to your main locus of development and manufacturing.

No. You have to buy the DLC.

Such as?

Honestly the whole "can't micro you units" thing doesn't bother me, If a games going for macro control fine, the president can't tell every troop what to do after all.

That being said, God I wish the AI was better, Or even better yet make the AI better with general EXP lvls controlling it.

Like make my fucking big ass battle ships that fire artillery MOVE AWAY when engaging, not get closer.

aw shrug

Any AI mods by chance?

If the sector thing seems bad to you, you can always get the mod that "removes" it (it makes it so you can always control more planets than the galaxy has in it) Other than that no. Most of the mods are just cosmetics, new races, and combat fixes.

There's a few Mods the modify fleet behavior to varying success but good AI is hard to do right so I do believe it needs the developers attention before it will be done 100% right.

That said you can't use mods in iron man mode, which is the only mode you can get achievements on. Probably way even basic achievements are hilariously low % in this game.

>which is the only mode you can get achievements on
Yeah, I don't give a shit about achievements so that's not a problem.

TFW We will never know who or what was chasing the Vasari

how much RP potential are we talking about here? cause that's the only reason i even slogged through crusader kings 2. and now i'm 600 hours into it.

yeah you will, this game is for people who like these kind of games already but no one else makes them. Its not for you

Pretty decent, especially in the early playthroughs where all the events/anomalies you come across will be fresh.

They are very different games. Get both.

There are more options nowadays to increase it. One of the new perks is +5 systems, there's also a couple from tech and ideology/government. Very late game there's a repeatable tech that increases your core systems.
It used to be worse, with planets instead. You can prioritize planets with multiple systems, and now also build habitats, which are 12 tile planets.

Sins all the way