Fixes for the Sequel

Fixes for the next game in the franchise now that BOTW has completely changed up the Zelda formula

>10-15 main dungeons. All with their own thematics, songs, tones, pacing, unique mechanics and boggle the mind while also rewarding the player with items or upgrades.

>20-30 shrines, make them the length of 4 shrines and make the reward a heart container or stamina vessel

>World should be 0.5 - 0.7x smaller. Less walking time between places, less enemy camps.

>Bring back the hookshot/grappling hook and merge them for high speed grappling fun. Make the world more vertical in design and more interesting to traverse. BOTW nailed the "whats over there" factor, now just make actually travelling fun.

>Weapons shouldn't break. Breaking served no purpose since different weapons had more purposes than "kill" and you were given new weapons anyways, throwing any factor of "survival mechanics" out of the window. It encourages the user to try out new weapons and give weapons more value when you get them from a chest.

>Cut the amiibo locking shit out.

>Atmospheric Overworld music instead of silence with occasional piano. Music plays and loops in shrines/dungeons/towns so your "it gets old quick" argument holds no water.

>An actual interesting plot and a villain who actually interacts with you than a last-second encounter. Make the final battle actually feel climactic than what we got in BOTW.

Other urls found in this thread:

saltnightmare.blogspot.com.au/
youtube.com/watch?v=ajoRRW64hr4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How about using the gamepad's screen for inventory management? Seems like a no brainer.

user I...

>10-15 main dungeons. All with their own thematics, songs, tones, pacing, unique mechanics and boggle the mind while also rewarding the player with items or upgrades.
At that point it's just a fucking slog. Why not ~6 truly fucking excellent dungeons? 15? Fuck off.
>20-30 shrines, make them the length of 4 shrines and make the reward a heart container or stamina vessel
15 dungeons AND 30 shrines? The fuck is the point?
>>World should be 0.5 - 0.7x smaller. Less walking time between places, less enemy camps.
This is the worst idea you've had so far, because the large world and enemy camps are great. In fact, there should be more.
>>Bring back the hookshot/grappling hook and merge them for high speed grappling fun. Make the world more vertical in design and more interesting to traverse. BOTW nailed the "whats over there" factor, now just make actually travelling fun.
I can pay this as a late-game reward.

>>Weapons shouldn't break. Breaking served no purpose since different weapons had more purposes than "kill" and you were given new weapons anyways, throwing any factor of "survival mechanics" out of the window. It encourages the user to try out new weapons and give weapons more value when you get them from a chest.
Nah. The way to fix the durability system is to give you weapons that never break but aren't as interesting or powerful as dungeon rewards. Master Sword shouldn't break, but isn't always as effective as a +10 flame greatsword that does.
>>Cut the amiibo locking shit out.
It's shit that likely wouldn't have been in the game otherwise. You really think they'd give you Wind Waker shit normally?
>>Atmospheric Overworld music instead of silence with occasional piano. Music plays and loops in shrines/dungeons/towns so your "it gets old quick" argument holds no water.
I don't think you know what atmospheric means. The shrine music is already annoying as shit and incidental piano is more atmospheric.
>>An actual interesting plot and a villain who actually interacts with you than a last-second encounter. Make the final battle actually feel climactic than what we got in BOTW.
If anything the final battle WAS cinematic. It was easy as shit and only served as a climactic resolution to the story.

Congrats on making a decent but flawed game worse in practically every way you fucking mongoloid.

>BOTW nailed the "whats over there" factor
Yeah, what exciting adventures await beyond this brown low-res texture rock wall I've been climbing for ten minutes!

Could it be a lizalfos camp? Could it be a shrine? Could it be a lone grassland fox? A few horses? I can hardly wait.

>he hasn't found the labyrinths
>he hasn't found the secret dungeons
>he hasn't found the leviathans
>he hasn't found the other towns
>he hasn't found the dragon nests
>he hasn't found the lord of the mountain
sad

>gamepad

The Wii U is dead, user

If you niggas dont fuck off with your thematic dungeons. Its shit for gameplay. Shrines make for a much better game.

No. We are past the Zelda formula.

Time for new shit

>fuck off with your thematic dungeons. Its shit for gameplay
Hyrule Castle was a thematic dungeon.

It's the best dungeon in the game

It's also the only traditional dungeon in the game.

Botw marks the new standard for future Zeldas. Open world works well, weapon degradation is a great mechanic. Hope to see a botw2 in the future.

So botw is best game in series but is TP the best zelda game?

I'd like to see the next game take a "Majora's Mask" approach, in that it should re-use the engine and assets, but drastically change the plot, gameplay, and tone.

I would be fine with only having a few dungeons, maybe even keeping the 5 true dungeons of BOTW, but make them much, much more in depth and intricate.

I'd love to spend 10-20 hours per dungeon, rather than the 10-20 minutes for the divine beasts.

It may be a stretch, and I know some people would cringe, but I'd like the idea of having selectable companions. By no means should they be mandatory, but if so desired, it might be neat to have an accomplice. Some rooms might be easier with two people, while others might require more thought as you have to get two individuals with different powers through.

It would also be nice to have multiple save files and the ability to select difficulties off the bat rather than having them locked behind DLC.

Hyrule castle is shit for gameplay. At best its a labyrinth only serves as a gate to the fight with ganon.

Secret things in hard to reach places. Significant things like temples with unique aesthetics, not plants or fish or something.

This sounds like a fun game, can't wait to play it once they finish it in 2025

While those things are better than the downtime of running and climbing endlessly they aren't really anything to write home about. The glowy elk-horse is a great example: I rode him for a bit before jumping off, taking a picture and leaving. I do admit I felt a mild pang of excitement looking down upon the pond with the blupee convention but unsurprisingly, there was nothing else to it. Just glowy animals standing around.

I'm not sure what you mean by secret dungeons and dragon nests though, but they probably aren't a redeeming factor since Nintendo surely wouldn't hide away the best part of the game. Are there even dungeons in this game? Are you talking about those shrines that appear after completing some mundane quest?

>>World should be 0.5 - 0.7x smaller. Less walking time between places, less enemy camps.
Agree with less walking time, half-agree with less enemy camps. I would more prefer a greater variety of setups for enemy camps than cutting the numbers down.

-15 main dungeons. All with their own thematics, songs, tones, pacing, unique mechanics and boggle the mind while also rewarding the player with items or upgrades.
>requesting more dungeons than have existed in any single previous Zelda game, full stop
If you're expecting each of these main dungeons to be 30-40 minutes, then it's a bit more reasonable of a request, but you have to keep in mind just how much time has to go into the rest of the game if they're going for open world.

>>Bring back the hookshot/grappling hook and merge them for high speed grappling fun. Make the world more vertical in design and more interesting to traverse. BOTW nailed the "whats over there" factor, now just make actually travelling fun.
Not a bad way to switch up the ways players get around to make the game feel different. In a pre-botw world, I would've called this idea unrealistic, but we now have a game where link snowboards on shields, so I figure the sky's the limit with fast, fun movement.

>gamepad

What's that?

>there's nothing interesting to find!
>t-t-those things probably aren't that interesting anyway, not that i've found them

>Its shit for gameplay

The fuck does that mean you autistic sperg?

-15 main dungeons. All with their own thematics, songs, tones, pacing, unique mechanics and boggle the mind while also rewarding the player with items or upgrades.
10-15 you stupid nigga?
also no in dungeon item will be work in the over world without meaning that some parts you will get cucked out till you get said exact Item

-30 shrines, make them the length of 4 shrines and make the reward a heart container or stamina vessel
can work

so people can shitpost the living shit out of it for being smaller?? nope

will break the climb X stamina ratio or become a mandatory item

>>Weapons shouldn't break. Breaking served no purpose since different weapons had more purposes than "kill" and you were given new weapons anyways, throwing any factor of "survival mechanics" out of the window. It encourages the user to try out new weapons and give weapons more value when you get them from a chest.
GIT GUD

>>Cut the amiibo locking shit out.
cosmetic shit, nothing of value lost

>>Atmospheric Overworld music instead of silence with occasional piano. Music plays and loops in shrines/dungeons/towns so your "it gets old quick" argument holds no water.
I like the sounds of the nature, thank you very much. if you want "atmospheric overworld" music, play your ipod

>>An actual interesting plot and a villain who actually interacts with you than a last-second encounter. Make the final battle actually feel climactic than what we got in BOTW.
Zelda never been about the plot is always hero saves world (and likely a girl).. except Majoras Mask

>10-20 hours per dungeon

That will never ever happen. Why would you even want that?

The real issue with Dungeons is how much Overworld space they will occupy.

BotW seeamless world work on the basis that everything was pre-loaded.

for standard zelda dungeons to exist. they will have to be massive fortress or giant caves as the internal size of the dungeon and its lay out must be reflected in the out side same way Divine Beast and Hyrule Castle.

previous Zelda Dungeons just had a look alike out side exterior and the interior were the size they fucking wanted.

So it's true? That your wondrous secret magical dragon lairs are just shrines?

Also, the labyrinths and Leviathans are right there on the fucking world map, with NPCs repeatedly pointing them out in case you've somehow missed them.

Most towns I've found have been really shitty. Even the town they made me create is boring, and the quest to create it is a terrible, terrible grind. Talking to NPCs was the richest experience in a somewhat poor game, so I feel as though I should've really enjoyed towns more but most of them contain absolutely nothing of interest.

>I'd love to spend 10-20 hours per dungeon, rather than the 10-20 minutes for the divine beasts.
not everyone has autism user. 10-20 dungeon will become stale and boring as fuck

Zelda is a puzzle game, now some shitty cave crawler where you kill enemies.

>So it's true? That your wondrous secret magical dragon lairs are just shrines?
No, neither the dragon nests nor secret dungeons that I mentioned are shrines.

You are a backpedaling spastic angry that I proved you wrong.

>Zelda is a puzzle game

What an idiot.

>is how much Overworld space they will occupy

None at all?

You do realise that even in a seamless world you can have interiors bigger than the exterior right?

I wrote a rather long set of suggestions in paragraphs here: saltnightmare.blogspot.com.au/
Yes it's a blog

So miyamoto and aonuma are idiots because its their word against yours.

truth

no you dont unless you pull a semi loading time like Shrines does

They're japanese game developers user, they don't know much english.

You're right

Then what are they? Why did Nintendo hide away such an important part of the game, the only fun part? Why can't I find anything when I google those secrets?

>b-but i had FUN riding the glowy horse! 99% of the game is everything but these special secret snippets i've listed, but because i had fun with the glowy horse they definitely redeem the game! who cares if 99% of gameplay is just climbing and running through identical forests and mountains? be more grateful for the glowy horse!
In what way exactly did you prove me wrong? What did I claim, and what did you disprove? I'm only angry that I wasted so much money on a really bland game.

reported :)

You have got to be retarded.
No other explanation.

>More dungeons
How about fuck off? Dungeons are almost never fun. They're the low points of most Zelda games.

I'd rather no dungeons than 10 dungeons

Kinda hard to mess up
>Zelda is all about puzzles
Why do you think you were pushing around blocks all this time. They finally got puzzles right with shrines.

Took me 20 hours for finishing the game with the true ending even with the master sword.

The rest of MMO generic side quests are garbage.

>The real issue with Dungeons is how much Overworld space they will occupy.
No, the real issue is that making dungeons takes a ton of work. Also items and whatnot.

But really when people suggest a new zelda should have 10-15 dungeons I have to question their grasp of basic game development processes.

t. shitty person with shitty opinion

>Why do you think you were pushing around blocks all this time

Certainly couldn't be because of puzzles user. If you see a spot a block could fit, and you see a block a few feet away, that can hardly be counted as a puzzle.

oh ok better to spam the page with incoherent babble

>no you dont

The fuck does that mean?

Learn to speak english faggot.

>semi loading time

You don't need that shit, retard. Look:

youtube.com/watch?v=ajoRRW64hr4

>that can hardly be counted as a puzzle
You now realize why dungeons are shit. Don't make me post the WW webm.

just fyi you are the winner

You think Imma give your shill site any views.

>>But really when people suggest a new zelda should have 10-15 dungeons I have to question their grasp of basic game development processes.
Skyrim managed to have what, 200 dungeons? why can't nintendo compete?

All of Skyrim dungeons were bad. Zelda dungeons are puzzle oriented.

>You now realize why dungeons are shit

Yeah dude, dungeons are shit because... moving blocks isn't a puzzle.

Lmao. Don't argue shit while on drugs.

>the real issue is that making dungeons takes a ton of work. Also items and whatnot.

120 Shrines all together likely involved more work and all the dungeons together in any other zelda game

also as I said in another post, the main issue with the traditional dungeons where the need of 1 item. if said I item is implemented 2 things happen

1) the item is locked and only useful within said dungeon

or

2) the item can be used for certain section in the overworld but it means to be become a soft game for a chest or exploration or what not

If you are too stupid to realize that moving blocks are the baby tier puzzles thats your own fault for being autistic.

Is it really that hard to spot a joke?

>Zelda dungeons are puzzle oriented.

>nearly 10k words worth of shit
My dude, I don't usually play the autism card, but it actually applies in this case. Why would you write such a long-winded manifesto on BotW's faults when likely nobody will see it other than you. I guess I looked at the site so there's 2 people, but that still doesn't merit the amount of time you spent writing all that shit.

>merely pretending

Straight off the bat we have this retarded shit here

>a story delivered in the manner of a movie or novel

There are no other fucking ways of delivering a story. Except maybe spoken word, but unless your videogame literally fucking spits out a living breathing human, it's just going to be a dude on screen which is the same shit as a movie.

Learn what a story is for fucks sake.

TP had 9. 10 isn't a stretch. 15, yeah, maybe too much. Even with proper resources, could OP come up with 15 creative ideas for dungeons without getting cliche or stale?
You are a full-on shit brain. I question whether you ever were a fan or even finished a Zelda game prior to BotW. Dungeons have been the iconic pillar of Zelda gameplay since the first game and the vast majority of the games since.

low hanging fruit since even you probably recognise that lttp, ocarina, awakening, and oracle have decent puzzle experiences, but even in the original the rooms all require you to think strategically about movement and sequence to clear it, so in a way it is a puzzle.

And I thought I had a fucking problem being overly verbose when writing. I don't know who you think your audience is, if there is one, but you really should tone that shit down.

>120 Shrines all together likely involved more work and all the dungeons together in any other zelda game
I disagree. In fact I think shrines were designed so they could be created easily to fill the game with content without using a ton of development resources.

I think the whole "artificially constructed by humans as trials for the hero" aesthetic was chosen so they'd be able to be constructed in some kind of drag-and-drop level editor without looking unnatural. Shrines could be constructed by designers with minimal help from artists or programmers.

Note that I'm just talking about shrine interiors. Certain shrines that integrated with the overworld would be higher-effort, like Eventide or the ruins.

why not read it. it doesn't hurt to compile your ideas. it was creative for me; i used it as a springboard to think about how i would make a game more fun. but hey just call me an autist that's cool.

>combat challenges and secret pathways are now puzzles
That's a very broad definition of puzzle you have there.

I'll take combat challenges over block pushing anyday.

Leave the shitty puzzles to the divine beasts and shrines, the dungeons should be about exploration and challenge not grade school level block based logic puzzles.

Am I missing something about the block "puzzles"? It's often pretty clear where the block will go but it's a huge pain in the ass to jam it in its slot using magnesis.

>Gamepad
haha

Dungeon interior looks is easy. sheer amount of rooms/ puzzle and shit to do BotW Shrines, again, amount more effort and planning that any other Zelda game all together

The combat challenges are good for loot but they're extremely formulaic and boring. I'm all for combat shrines but the fight is always the same.

>he bought a whole new console just to play one game
jokes on you

>Every combat challenge is a 1v1 battle arena
I'm done here, you're retarded.

Make the game fun.
Make the story engaging.
Give me a character to give a shit about.

There. Everything else is ignorable. Stop acting like BotW just needs balancing or slight fixes, the major aspects of design are fucked and have been since 1998. Fix it you talentless fucks.

I think you're angry at me for some reason

>owning a wii u
kek

>Make the story engaging.
>Give me a character to give a shit about.
Go play Witcher 3 if you want gay shit like that.

Fuck the story, the game would be better without one.

>planning
Shrine designs were intern-tier busywork. No planning went into 100 of these.

>shit punctuation
>not capitalization
Nice try.

>why not read it

For the same reason I don't read grass or watch paint dry. Because reading retarded shit seriously just makes you retarded.

He doesn't even to mention the previous fucking games in the series it's all "i found this fun, I prefer if they did that instead of this". That's not a fucking review. That's just wank. Any masturbatory kid can do that shit.

You are meant to fucking compare it to other games in a review. Otherwise it's useless shit that nobody cares about. Why should I care about some autist who wrote a blog and whether he likes autismally selected portions of any game?

>TP had 9. 10 isn't a stretch.
I'd call it the upper end of what's doable. But TP made some sacrifices to achieve that, mostly in towns and sidequests.

>Dungeon interior looks is easy.
In BotW, yes. In TP and SS? God no. It's like comparing the difficulty of building something with Lego to carving something from wood. And then painting it.

Maybe, but then there'd be nothing to distract you from how shit and outdated the combat is. I guess if you're into that you can just grin and bear it.

At least TW3 had some mystery about it. In retrospect yeah the story was shit, but at least it dangled the carrot. I can't recall why I even played BotW, I knew exactly what I was getting because I've played the same game 5 fucking times already.

every single Shrine Puzzle Room is more complex than almost any other puzzle room in old Zelda Dungeons (Water Temple was not complex, just highly annoying + that secret path in the main pillar

Where do you think you are?

>10 to 15 dungeons

You're insane if you think they'd ever make that many.

it's ok dude you don't have to read it.

>Weapons shouldn't break. Breaking served no purpose since different weapons had more purposes than "kill" and you were given new weapons anyways, throwing any factor of "survival mechanics" out of the window. It encourages the user to try out new weapons and give weapons more value when you get them from a chest.

Don't be dumb. Weapons breaking wasn't about "survival mechanics", you'd have a hunger bar if the game was about that. It was about encouraging you to use the cool shit you found rather than just sitting on it forever, while also allowing a duplicate reward/find to be meaningful.

But it WAS interesting. Could you say the same for the shrines?

>Could you say the same for the shrines?
If I stick and past sevral Shines together?? yes.

No shit.

I'm not angry at all. I'm just letting you know that your writing style seems overly wordy, to the point where it seems like you're trying to convince the reader how intelligent you are.

Here's a random sentence from your blog: Armour must viscerally be a skin shed and taken in the season, and if this makes the game tedious, for example because the player must travel somewhere to dress, then elixirs need to be more viable amendment, or the armour must be more readily retrievable, or unimportant.

This is an unnecessarily complex compound sentence. Like I said, I have the same problem. I draft legal documents frequently and learning to be concise is one of the skills I struggle with.

Sorry I haven't been following, not the OG user.

Yes, on average the Shrine puzzles seemed slightly better than your standard Zelda puzzle. Zelda puzzles have always been garbage. This is not a feat, especially when all you did was wait a decade late to add a physics engine.

BotW puzzles are shit among puzzles in video games. BotW is shit among Action, Adventure and Action-Adventure titles that have been released since Ocarina of Time. So unless you strictly keep yourself from playing anything else, how you can be impressed with any puzzle in this braindead walkabout is beyond me.

tl;dr Puzzle, no good

>10-15 dungeons
Jesus fuck no, 4 for the first half, 4 for the 2nd half
>20-30 shrines at 4x the length
No, this would be a slog. They should reduce the amount of shrines by half and adjust lengths so some are shorter and some are 4x as long
>World should be half to 75% smaller
Fuck no, it should be at most 1/4 as big, they have the assets to make large worlds now
>Bring back hookshot
Only if they find a unique mechanic for it that can be implemented seamlessly into the overworld, like exploring verticle caves/mineshafts
>Weapons shouldn't break
Not unless they make a totally revamped weapons system like Souls
>Cut amiibo out
No
>atmospheric overworld music
They should make whatever music style matches the goddamn tone
>An actually interesting plot
Yes I want a more interactive plot, no I don't want some generic recurring villain-bait.

Finding weapons (and consequently having them break like eggshells) would be rewarding if the combat was even remotely fun.

Meant to say the overworld should be at most 1/4 smaller, not 1/4 as big.

>10-15 main dungeons.
No, 6-8 is better.

>20-30 shrines
Later you complain about the world being empty, yet you want to remove content from it? Retard. Shrines should have a quantity that fits for the world size.

>World should be 0.5 - 0.7x smaller.
Problem isn't world being too big, but meaningful interactions being too scarce. Better solution is a world that is as big or larger but with more towns/quests/variety of enemies.

>Bring back the hookshot/grappling hook
Breaks exploration, and having a world full of nothing but canyons and cliffs is retarded. End game or secret late game reward is the only way to make it viable.

>Weapons shouldn't break.
Agreed.

>Cut the amiibo locking shit out.
Who cares, it's all sub-par weapons and armor that are just nostalgia bait. They serve no meaningful purpose to the gameplay, and are only there for people who want to feel nostalgic.

>Atmospheric Overworld music.
Most retarded thing you've suggested. The lack of music is far more atmospheric then having blaring overworld tunes all the time. The game is about exploring a vast wilderness, the sounds of nature being the most prominent thing fits perfectly.

>An actual interesting plot and a villain who actually interacts with you than a last-second encounter. Make the final battle actually feel climactic than what we got in BOTW.
Least stupid thing you've said, I guess you got it all out of your system by the end of your last point?

say it as you would. i'm not drafting legal documents here. i don't think it would be meaningful for me to defend the sentence to you. perhaps if i show you my law gpa or my beautiful face you'll retreat some.

This is absolutely horrible and you should feel bad.

Are you 13?

>saltnightmare.blogspot.com.au/

Holy shit dude, you should really keep this to yourself.