Devil May Cry

which was better, 1 or 3?

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/devilmaycry3/mods/1/?
youtube.com/watch?v=IriJsAfAY8w
youtu.be/j91mP3UtaBQ
youtu.be/e6FGOrchNxo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

DMC3SE is the greatest action game of all time. The undisputed GOAT.

a sensible guy

3 is better mechanically but 1 is better in almost every other way. Vergil is really the only actual good boss from 3, 3 heavily went for a "quantity over quality" on bosses.

Problem with the DMC fanbase on here is you have a LOT of people who started on different games, so that game will always be the best to them no matter what. I'd wager the people who actually started Devil May Cry with the first game back in '01 is extremely low on this board.

It's not hard to be the greatest action game when all the competition have trash dial-a-combo gameplay like Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden.

this desu

I'm tired of hyperbolic 1fags claiming every other game in the series was shit only because of 1's atmosphere as if it replaces good level design when questionable shit like those underwater sections exist. 3's atmosphere wasn't great, but it conveys what it means to and gets the job done.

I bought the HD collection, started with 1. It has its charm and merits but greatly disagree with you on bosses. every boss in 3 that isn't geryon is fun to fight, whereas in 1 I only really enjoyed the Angelo fights. It's got a great ost and atmosphere though and probably my favorite dante design, even if he was a little wooden

ninja gayden is much more complex than bayonetta

I legitimately played all the games in order, I did prefer 3 over 1 as in my opinion it was a great improvement in the flow of combat, story and level design. Plus it was more cohesive and had a really good build up to the final boss.
>The credits as well GOAT

also 1 is really unforgiving but that might just come from me not liking redoing large portions when you die in a game

Geryon was better than the centipede by a mile. I actually really liked Geryon at first because the first part of the battle is fairly fun with RG on, it felt like a proper 1 on 1 duel. Shame about the second part of the battle. Or subsequent playthroughs for that matter.

Other than those 2, I don't know what the fag was talking about, all other boss battles are great. Well, except Arkham, but he gets more shit than he deserves, imo, his boss battle drags on but is not necessarily boring.

This
But it doesn't make 1 a "lesser" game, it's really great too
If we could get something in the middle of both we would be in the presence of the best action game of all time

>better bosses
>lol fight these 4 guys repeated and then the final boss who doesn't even play like the rest of the game

Yes and? All three Vergil fights are the only great fights out of DMC3. Please don't defend absolute dogshit like Arkham, Arkham was like the worst parts of Nightmare rolled into one boss and multiplied. I also liked that it made bosses feel more personal to Dante, they weren't just a "enemy of the week" style boss where Dante fights them once, gets stronger, then moves on to the next boss.

3, anyone who says 1 is a retarded nostalgiafag or INSANE kamiyafag

none of the bosses in 1 were as fun to fight as cerberus, a&r, nevan, or beowulf

arkham sucks I agree

>Yes and? All three Vergil fights are the only great fights out of DMC3.
wow great argument fagtron, you sure convinced me with those hot opinions

Explain.

arkham is fine
geryon centipede and leviathan heart are all shit
The rest are all ok to great

4 is the best one user

you get punished for button mashing a lot more easily, combos rely more on knowing the situation and reacting than witch timing and pulverizing the enemy, and it's an overall harder game

4 has the best combat but is not the best game
3 with style switcher mod has better combat to if you take it into account but it makes the game alot easier since the enemies in 3 arent balanced around having all styles like the enemies in 4 are

>leviathan heart

Forgot about the bottom tier of boss battles of ALL time. What the FUCK where they thinking? The entire leviathan mission was a mistake.

4 had good gameplay, but there was nothing fun to use it on apart from credo and dante. also dante was more fun than nero and got gimped on his side of the story. 4 is only good for the SE bloody palace so you can fight things as long as you want with 5 different characters

Agreed.

4 only has style switch but it came at a high price. I still preffer 3 overall

nah I liked being in leviathan, reminded me of the last section of dmc1. the heart wasn't particularly interesting but I didn't hate fighting it

my biggest issue is how it fucking eats any orbs you get and drains your DT
You can just jump cancel on the 2 organs and knock them out in a few seconds but after doing 1 or 2 rounds of >dodge laser>enemies spawn>let laser kill enemy>attack organs>attack hearts it gets really fucking old

nexusmods.com/devilmaycry3/mods/1/?
just incase you didnt know

DMC1's bosses aside from Nelo are fairly gimmicky
DMC3's top bosses like Beowulf, A&R, Cerberus, Nevan and Vergil allow for more free and tight fight, especially on DMD

holy fuck I googled it
I actually forgot this existed, that's how bad it is

Honestly I think only the boss was really bad,

My biggest gripe with the leviathan are the fucking acid pools. Lazy way to cheap you out of an SSS rank.

The level has the best atmosphere in the game
The boss sucks ass though. The only good thing that come out of it is that you can loop it with Vergil's Judgement Cut which looks fucking cool
youtube.com/watch?v=IriJsAfAY8w

Oh yeah. It did have those. Fuck that shit.

But I still think the leviathan level was fine overall. It just needed a better boss fight at the end.

That would be Ninja Gaiden Black
DMC3 is more influential for the genre though

It's not that bad
But yeah, it's probably the worst boss of the game

DMC is an action game, DMC3 is a combo simulator where enemies don't even fight back and have too much health.

What a tired baseless argument.

>what is DMD

>where enemies don't even fight back and have too much health.
End this meme
youtu.be/j91mP3UtaBQ

>where enemies don't even fight back

DMC1
>Better pacing
>Better level design
>Better art direction
>Better OST
>Better enemies
>Better style

DMC3
>Better story
>Better combat mechanics
>Vergil lifts the entire game up.

I don't really have a favorite, I started with DMC3 but DMC1 still holds a special place in my heart. I think DMC3 does some things better than almost any other game in existence, but DMC1 is a more cohesive and well-rounded experience. DMC3's highs beats DMC1, but DMC3 also has its fair share of lows.

Baseless? I've played both games, the most popular DMC videos are ones in which enemies are literally juggled for about 10 seconds straight in Mission 2.

Yeah, that's a great defense, a mode DMC1 also has and one that sucks in DMC3, it's great that DMC3 only gets hard 4 difficulties in and all, but it'd be nice if the mode wasn't an actual chore to play.

Defend Sloths on DMD. Defend Dullahans on DMD. Defend Bloodgoyles on DMD. Defend that fucking Enemy DT mechanic.

Only fun part of DMC3 DMD is the bosses.

The most popular monhun videos are ones where the monster dies in 3 minutes without landing a hit. That will never be experienced by 99% of the population that plays the game and is not a representation of how the game plays.

Same thing here. Most people on Sup Forums would eat shit trying to play through on even hard mode and would certainly disagree that "the enemies don't fight back".

>ninja gaiden
>dial-a-combo

I understand that witch time makes bayonetta pretty much garbage but what the fuck?

>Defend that fucking Enemy DT mechanic.
git gud retard.

>wasn't a chore to play
DTE exists
Nevan exists
Cerberus exists
Kalina Ann exists
Use your fucking arsenal for AOE or and enemy health to prevent DT. Juggling in combo vides are done when it's allowed to i.e far away enemies/high launched like Beowulf's charged uppercut

That just means they have to kill enemies even slower then, I'm no pro, but I beat DMD and I think I'd havel ost my mind if I didn't at least learn Killer Bee jump cancelling

Beat the game on DMD twice, it's a cinch compared to Master Ninja Mode of NG2.

>Sloth room, Sloths are guaranteed to get DT
>4x health
>easy as fuck

Fun mechanic, hope you guys like fighting Chess Pieces. :^)

Maybe if it were actually finished it would be.

>DTE exists

Yeah, because the actual DT, unlike in DMC1 and 4, is a load of shit.

I love Nevan, Cerberus is fun but extremely weak/

>prevent DT

You would have to mentally keep track of spawns the entire fight to do that and I'm pretty sure that won't guarantee you completely avoid it either in some cases.

>but I beat DMD and I think I'd havel ost my mind if I didn't at least learn Killer Bee jump cancelling
managed to beat the game using the scrubbiest cheese tactic in the book
lmao
>thinks he knows the game
git gud shitter
youtu.be/e6FGOrchNxo

I don't understand this whole post
Your first sentence implies that DMD is hard and you could only beat it by cheesing but then on your second reply you say that it's easy as fuck

Yeah you can't avoid DT, but you can make sure they DT on low health or the more problematic ones (Lust is the highest priority) don't get to
Also lock-on display the health

3 by a fucking landslide.

There are things I like about 1 better. I do prefer the tone, I don't like how 3 jumps the shark into goofy anime territory. I like the level design, I like the flavour text, I like the B-movie House of the Dead tier acting.

But the combat - just straight down to not being remotely gun-based anymore to shit like movesets that matter, it just such a step up. And it's a fairly competent story, too, probably the most competent in the genre.

Which is weird. But nice. Anyway I like both but 3 is a lot better.

>managed to beat the game using the scrubbiest cheese tactic in the book

>posts a video of a player JCing enemies to death in the air where they can't fight back.

Okay, user. Thanks for proving my point.

>But the combat - just straight down to not being remotely gun-based anymore to shit like movesets that matter, it just such a step up.

Did you even play DMC1? It had one or two moves that 'didn't matter', and the Grenadegun was OP, but all weapons remained relevant throughout the game, DMC3 is the one with movesets that don't matter because it's a game about looking stylish and what looks the coolest isn't necessarily the move you always want to.

And DMC3 has a whole style that is based on guns dude.

Yep
DMC3 has the perfect amount of moves in an action game.
Not too much like Bayonetta where you just leave a whole bunch unaccounted for because you can't be fucked remembering the button combination for the 100+ different variations of a punch/kick moves.
And not too little like Dark Souls where it's less about having an intense fight and more about playing simon says.
With DMC3 you use 100% of Dante's moveset all equally.

You had the dumb shadow demons that were immune to everything but guns. And the fucking bird boss who shows up twice, and those barrier cockblockers who were most vulnerable when offscreen.

Actually styles I would like to rail against. People like styles, everyone likes them, whatever. Half of them are worthless and could just be incorporated into the base moveset. Swordmaster and Gunslinger at least, Trickster too, there's no reason they could just throw in like two more input styles and get those into the base.

I shouldn't have to choose between those and novelty styles like Quicksilver. It was dumb.

Bayonetta had Tekken levels of combo bloat.

Every single amalgamation of six moves - each of those being either punch, kick, or pause then punch or kick, for every weapon. That wasn't strictly necessary to put in the game.

Quicksilver and Doppelganger should have been something like "powers" rather than styles and changes the function of L1 (or R1+L1 if you want to keep the OG DT) instead of O
Gunslinger's charged shots were incorporated in 4. It moves should have been directional input with Square though like DMC4SE's Lady
Putting more directional inputs for normal moves can mess things up though, especially since the game's more about linking raw moves than dial-combo

There's nothing wrong with having choice in a game where the point is being stylish, there's a reason why DMC3 combo videos got very stale very quickly, there's only so many times I can watch air combo/ revolver juggles.

>dumb shadow demons

Jesus christ,. They only require you able to shoot and dodge their attacks at the same time...until you expose their core, and go ham with melee. They're worth 10 of any DMC3 enemy.

>That wasn't strictly necessary to put in the game.

This is so wrong I don't know where to begin, if you don't want to breakdance with rockets attached to your hands and feet, then don't but it doesn't hurt the game to be able to do this AND the normal combos you can do.

Bayonetta's combo is intuitive as hell, because once you understand they share similar movesets, you can practice straightaway with new ones trying out strings you learned on the Pistols.

Fuck off, no DMC-like (I admit DMC3 deserves to be considered most influential even if its not the first of its kind) action games are genuinely hard since you have way too much freedom. Ninja Gaiden is the only action series that makes you feel like the most flexible ninja of all time while actually being HARD through forcing the players to follow REALISTIC DISCIPLINE through sheer level design and hard smart enemies without being cheap.

It sure. Is better that half assed shit of dmc4

Das has more moves than dmc3 tho, its just split between over a hundred different weapons.

>Bayonetta's combo is intuitive as hell
That's because you can mash any combination of buttons with any timing and some sort of combo will fly out. It really made me disinterested in getting better at the game since practically any combo you do is workable.

Most of the time DaS's moves don't really matter outside of startup and stamina use except in MP

still requires more still than killer bee spamming shitter

Why does the repeated levels of Dante in DMC4 matter to DMC3 players if all they care about is combat? This was improved upon in DMC4 by a longshot, how anyone can say DMC4SE isn't better value for money than DMC3SE at this point I don't know

Well, it is easy, but it's definitely more fun and imaginative.

>"I'll just move the goalposts.............................................................................................................................................here :^)"

The only good place that really shows off the combat is Bloody Palace past the first 20 levels (basically no more Scarecrows) and going up there takes time

i would say they matter more than in dmc3, the little hitbox and timing differences are more important with das's combat design. In dmc3 I always went for whats cool looking ecen on harder levels (except with beowulf) but in das I always put more consideration into the movesets. Its a shame that the whole weapon upgrading system fucked that up and you were only left with a very few viable weapons instead of having a huge arsenal.

I dunno about everyone else. But I dislike DMC4 because most of it's levels are just rehashed. I can go back and play 1 or 3 from start to end. I gotta replay BP mode just to have a good time with DMC4's combat,

>4 has the best combat
>4 had good gameplay
My fucking sides. To get to the best gameplay part you have to suffer through half of a game. Fuck off.

I really liked the atmosphere and music of Devil May Cry 1. The enemies were intimidating and also a bit frightening. Also Dante had a great personality. Not too goofy but not too serious. Lastly, I remember the layout of the map perfectly. I honestly think the castle is as memorable in layout as the Mansion in Resident Evil 1.

Devil May Cry 3 has great combat. So many weapons to choose from and all equally viable. Great cutscenes. And Vergil was awesome. Plus the bosses were way better than the ones in the first Devil May Cry.

All in all I prefer the first, but I can see why people like 3 better.

You don't like Nero's gameplay?

>Plus the bosses were way better than the ones in the first Devil May Cry.

I think they were equal, but Nightmare is the greatest boss.

>Well, it is easy, but it's definitely more fun and imaginative.
I disagree. It was like Kamiya just said fuck it and made everything a combo. That's not really imaginative, it's actually kind of lazy. At least it's not as bad as 2 where everything just ends in a fucking wicked weave.

DMC3's moveset matters a lot more for bosses than normal enemies. Tackling Vergil without Rebellion is very different when you don't have Helm Breaker and Stinger to keep up with his teleports
Except when you have projectiles enemies then gap-closer (Reb/Beo/Trickster) or multi-hit parries are almost a must on DMD

Nightmare 3 on dmd fucked me up so much. I remember when I finally did it. Almost resorted to using items but I promised myself I wouldn't do it.

I fucking hate the bird boss. I was never good at fighting it so I just used the grenade launcher whenever I had to fight him and god a shitty score.

The first encounter on the ship on dmd difficulty is easy. Just bait him onto the back of the ship and then jump high onto one of the ship beams (no idea what they are called). You just DT and spam your pistols. I did this twice and it was enough to finish him off.

The second encounter is a different story though...

1 is the best

He's a great showcase of knowledge when you know how to fight him.

>understanding Charged PPKK combos on Ifrit were the strongest attacks to his core
>understanding that you can bait his Ice Beam by running to his front and after the IceBeam he always pops out a Core
>You can parry the Boomerang and side spear at him by simply jumping with Ifrit, if you bought Rolling Blaze
>Going into the Nightmare dimension resets his Core 'break' counter
>After this the dials make him stay solid longer

It's such a good fight.

>I just used the grenade launcher

It's a ranged fight, it's more a question of whether you can dodge his Lightning attacks while fighting him. DMC1 is not DMC3 it's okay to fight him this way.

Nero's gameplay is pretty good too
Sure it's not Dante level but it has more depth than most typical action games

after playing dmc 3 I was fucking dissapointed in dmc1

the game was very short, like less than half the length of 3
had only 2 different movesets,
almost all enemies and bosses were very gimicky where you could only kill them in very specific way instead of going for crazy combos,
vast majority of the secret missions are bullshit autism simulators
the story was very weak compared to 3, dante hardly had any personality since he only talked like 3 times in the whole game

Yeah, the castle and enemy visuals were nice and atmospheric but let's be real, they are nowhere near on the same level

1 overall, but 3 stands on its own as a decent game

any kid who actually praises DMC4 or thinks it did anything but ruin the series, making it an accessible anime combo simulator for retarded bronies on steam should kill themselves

>any kid who actually praises DMC4 or thinks it did anything but ruin the series, making it an accessible anime combo simulator for retarded bronies on steam should kill themselves
So basically everyone that's played the game but you should kill themselves?

There were a few things I liked about DMC4. I liked how they let you switch between styles with Dante, which was way better than the system they had in 3. But I hated the addition of Nero. He felt like an OC character trying to emulate the coolness of Dante. However, this was my first devil may cry game too so I didn't even know that Nero was the son of Virgil. Hell, I didn't even know who Vergil was at the time. Also, Nero felt too easy somehow. His hand hand felt like easy mode for doing more damage too enemies you didn't want to learn how to combo for.

>almost all enemies and bosses were very gimicky where you could only kill them in very specific way instead of going for crazy combos,

crazy combos isn't the point of the game, it's not like Ninja Gaiden eitherwhere any enemy will die to the Dragon Sword/Flying Swallow/Izuna Drop, it's simply good design to have enemies require different strats, it makes it dynamic.

>vast majority of the secret missions are bullshit autism simulators

What the fuck does this even mean? The secret missions in DMC1 are way better than the ones in DMC3, the triple Shadow demon mission alone is better than any DMC3 secret mission.

>any kid who actually praises DMC4 or thinks it did anything but ruin the series, making it an accessible anime combo simulator

I bet you can't even use Dante to a fraction of fraction of his potential, let alone DMC3 Dante.

Dante has more ways to chesse fights.

>making it an accessible anime combo simulator for retarded bronies on steam

This is some next level ass mad

>it's simply good design to have enemies require different strats, it makes it dynamic.
It's not "simply good design" if some strategies are way less fun than others. Which is definitely the case with DMC1.

>it's simply good design to have enemies require different strats
it's not when they only require a very specific strat that you have to do over and over when you meet them. Something like fighting those shadow dogs is rather just tedious than fun.

Also a secret mission should be a farily challenging and creative objective that helps your progress in the game, not something you should rather ignore in your first playthough and only come back later to suffer for hours in completing them if you want to 100% the game. Most secret missions in dmc1 were unfairly hard and mostly because they intentionally worked againts the camera.

Well we have to agree to disagree there, I don't think there's any enemy in DMC1 that's actually shit to fight, whereas in DMC3, Chess Pieces, Soul Eaters, Dullahans, Sloths and Enigmas were all cancer to me.

Blasting away at Shadows, then parrying Sin Scissors and the Lizards, or just beating down Puppets with Ifrit will never get old for me.

People say DMC3 is stylish, which is true, but there's something satisfying about hitting a Sin Scissors weapon then one shotting it with the Shotguns. They really need to bring back the critical hit system from DMC1.

>Something like fighting those shadow dogs is rather just tedious than fun.

That's how I feel about DMC3 on DMD mode, Shadow Dogs will never take that long to kill and they have fun movesets.

>think of leviathan heart
>expect Top Breder
>Receive Top Breeder

His Vergil plays are so spot on. Pure sex.

DMC5 when?

E3 announcement hopefully. Itsuno did say he was announcing something this year.

I like it way more than the rest simply for it's gothic design and atmosphere and for best Dante design

Soon

I hope the next DMC we return to a memorable gothic place like DMC1