Was it really a failure?

Was it really a failure?

It didn't live up to very high expectations and had some serious faults.

It was still the best game that year though

>failure?
no
>good?
yes
>worst in the series?
yes

DS3 is the worst one

Why are Souls games never as good as the trailers...

Seriously look at fucking harvest valley in that pic.

nah

there is not a single game in the world that is as good as its trailer
>inb4 your favorite game

SotFS > 3 > 2 vanilla > 3 + DLC

no. it wasnt a failure. was it any good or fun to play? no

Yes. It was a fucking disappointment.

I played them all as they came out and it was kind of a let down
>Loved des
>Loved das
>2 was.....Long I guess, most of the bosses sucked
>Loved BB
>Loved das3

that's incredibly sad.

I throughly enjoy it for the most part. That being said i have a few complaints
>no ds fix like the first one to change the hud scale so its always taking up too much of the screen
>mouse buttons on pc have a delay so you need to use an external script and map the mouse buttons to the keyboard attack buttons
>durability was a fucking mess
>adaptability and iframes were a mess and never explained
>controller had serious dead zones, had to be fixed with a mod
>sometimes the transition between areas literally made 0 sense at all
>plot is sort of a rehash of the first until SOTFS came out

>Plot
SotFS > 1 > 3

>Worldbuilding
1 > SotFS > 3

>Gameplay
1 > 3 > SotFS

>Level Design
1 > SotFS > 3

DS3 has very little original content.

Souls vet here, this is my take on things as someone who has obsessively played the shit out of DeS and DaS1 since their respective launches on PS3.

Concepts:

>New Firelink Shrine (DaS3) == The Nexus (DeS)
The resemblance is fucking stunning if you've ever played DeS. Lord Thrones are in the exact same alignment that the archstones are, surrounding where you spawn in, with multiple levels of height within the area accessible by curved staircases.

>Lothric Castle (DaS3) == Boletaria Castle (DeS)
You start the game here, and the climax of the game is here (fighting twin princes/false king allant).

>Karla (DaS3) == Yuria the Witch (DeS)
Karla teaches forbidden hex magic/miracles/pyromancies that channel the power and rage of the abyss, Yuria the Witch teaches forbidden magic that channel the power and rage of demon souls.

> Stormruler (DaS3) == Storm Ruler (DeS)
Used to take down mighty foes with a legendary sword found in the corresponding boss arenas. Yhorm and the Storm King are basically the same type of "puzzle boss" until you find the sword.

Mechanics:

> FP (DaS3) == MP (DeS)
Literally the same exact shit.

> Rolling
Functions the same exact way as DeS, because med rolling was buffed so fucking hard that the difference between fast roling and med rolling is so small that staying right under the fat roll minimum is required for every build.

Case-in-point, DaS3 is super fucking stale for veterans who have been with the series since DeS in 2009/2010. It's literally because the game is around 50% recycled DaS content, 30% recycled DeS content, 10% recycled bloodborne content, and 10% original content.

A friend was telling me that some of the DS2 areas are actually just cut or unfinished zones from DeS. Would you know anything about that?

My favorite souls game, 600 hours on it. not even a pvp fag

>director himself sits on a couch and pitches the idea of areas as dark as Tomb of the Giants, necessitating the use of torches and magical light
>launch has none of that, cranks the brightness up to eleven and some areas have persistent lighting errors thanks to the piece of shit known as Autodesk Beast

>Dark Souls has red eye orbs that can be used indefinitely
>Dark Souls II has cracked eye orbs which are expended, forcing the player to farm to ever fucking invade

>soul memory branding characters with an expiration date
>monster extinction
>1 relevant covenant
>that horrible excuse for map continuity

Game sucked hard. Didn't even pay twice for SotFS, and quit the series after getting tricked by this game. That means no Bloodborne or Dark Souls III. Thank god it's over.

2 > 3 = 1

1: Was my favorite souls game but as DS2's grown on me it's no longer my favorite. DS3's fast paced combat has really killed DS1 for me: going from DS3 to DS1 almost feels unplayable because combat is glacial, you can only roll 4 directions, etc. Boss and enemy AI just feels dumb and easy to exploit, the "circle right and backstab" meme has never felt more correct. Not necessarily bad things, but the QoL improvements the series has built up in DS2/3 is starting to show.

2: I was really down on 2 when it was just DS2/1, but I've grown to love it and enjoy replaying it a lot more. You can get a ton of levels early on, and there's a decent weapon selection thanks to the split map, so it's really easy to say "I want to do this build" and have it all together after killing just two, maybe three bosses. The combat is faster than DS1 but still much slower than DS3; it feels more like a natural evolution of DS1's combat, which at this point feels very clunky and slow if you like DS2/3. One big con: It has some of the worst online/invasions, no red eye orb, and Soul Memory was a huge fucking mistake. That said, it also conversely has some of the best PvP of the series, so I'd say it's a wash.

3: The fast gameplay is nice and melee builds are a blast, but magic suffered to the point of non-viability until you're half way through the game. And It's so fucking linear to replay through, holy shit. The lack of optimization in a few areas like smoldering lake and early irithyll is a minor niggling feature but it's there for all but the most powerful computer builds. Also, while they basically tried to emulate bloodborne's speed in combat, they forgot the best part of the game: all the neat as fuck trick weapons. The DLC weapons finally make good use of fun weapon arts and move sets, but what a fucking waste that is since you can't even access the ringed city weapons until you're ready to fight the lord of cinder.

You have been posting this copypasta for almost a year now. DaS2fags are so autistic.

>stop liking what i don't like
Who is autistic user?

No it was a good game that just didn't fit in with the others because Miyazaki was busy making Bloodborne.

can't quite put my finger on it, but despite ds3 having more """polish""" than ds2, I had more fun with the latter.
isn't to say ds3 is bad, though.

Damn, that is some fine taste you have there, user.

I think the DS2 DLCs were a lot better than the stuff DS3 gave us, especially the first one in the sunken city.

Also fuck Mirdir as a Pyromancer.

It's because 3 is influenced by BB, which features a very different setting and combat system which does not mesh as well with dark souls.

I'd say for me personally it was the level design. Everything seemed the same

It was disappointing in the sense that they built up a massive lore and could've ending it by concluding said lore, which they couldve done easily, which would've allowed it to die both famously and great. Unfortunately it didn't. In its final dlc it just added shit upon shit for no reason other than that the creators are hacks at what they do and in being hacks disregarded everything to give us hp-tank bosses, useless extra lore, useless extra enemies, time gates (angels and spectral archers), and throwbacks that nobody wanted.

Honestly I liked the game before the final dlc but with the dlc I give it an honest 6/10.

>stop disliking what I like
It's clearly you

And another thing, Ashes of Ariandel was a better dlc than Ringed City. Hands down. Atmosphere, enemies, setting, and bosses were hands down 1000x better than shit heap Ringed City. Genuinely a waste of $15 compared to Ashes of Ariandel.

are those your top games

>especially the first one in the sunken city.
Shulva had the best level design, but the worst enemy design. I'd say Frozen Eleum Loyce was the best

Not true, Ringed City at least had 1 decent boss (1.5 counting Demon Prince second phase), Ashes was shut all round. Friede was a cancerous multiphase anime fight that represents all the faults of DaS3's design in one giant shitty boss.

Midir was alright, and the second phase of Demon Prince was decent. All the other DLC bosses were garbage.

Here's (you)

The DLC were definitely disappointing ways to end the series in my opinion. First DLC lacked content and the second DLC lacked any story or anything interesting.

Lets look at it's positives:
Less DaS pandering than DS3.
Got an ACTUAL PC port.

That's about it.

>Bait
SotFS > 1 > 3

>Baitbuilding
1 > SotFS > 3

>Baitplay
1 > 3 > SotFS

>Bait Design
1 > SotFS > 3

Frieda was a great fight. If you're going to call her fight shit and Midir's 'alright' then I doubt you even played the game. Midir is the literal definition of artificial difficulty, bulked up with loads of health just to make his fight feel all the more epic EXCEPT there's nothing epic about him except that exponential health. Midir was the literal cancer of the dlc.

Magic is fucked

Gameplay is anime like in bloodborne

Lots of rehashed assets, both from bloodborne and DaS

I had fun playing it, so it isn't a failure.

Let's not forget also that they added in two miracles, two great miracle abilities, but locked them behind 1 pvp boss battle thatll force you to use them in a gank fight you'll probably lose

The bow is great however, I do like the bow.

>gameplay
I would say 3>1>sotfs

but everything else is fine.

I'm talking about DaS 3 by the way

>mash mash mash mash mash mash

why does this makes me so angry?

No, Friede was a Bloodborne boss that stumbled into the wrong game. She's sanic fast and jumps around, so Magic is pretty much useless against her, she has hyper aggressive multi move combos that are not restricted by Stamina like Players are, the first and second phases are completely irrelevant and only serve to pad out time until the third.

If you want fast and aggressive bosses in a Souls game, then more bosses should be like Champion Gundyr
>He's quick and aggressive, and also combos you, but he has a stamina gauge which can be depleted
>No fucking cutscenes mid fight
>His moveset makes sense given his size and looks
>He punishes you for trying to circle him with shoulder checks and kicks rather than all his moves hitting everything both in front of and behind him and leaping to the opposite side of the room constantly

>ROLLING AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SOUND
>GOT PLACES TO GO GOTTA FOLLOW MY -URRGH-

>ss r1 spam
I take anime over this any day.

DS3 is the one that makes me so sad, it could have been so good, but the rolls ruin everything.

yeah

If by failure you mean the best Dark souls game.
Then yes.

Can someone explain the lore of the Souls series?

og dragons exist in darkness. dumb niggers discover fire and the age of flame starts. dumb niggers kill dragons. flame starts to go out. now new dumb niggers have to reignite the flame or let it die. i miss the dragons

>Link the fire and burn yourself as fuel, or don't
>Piece together the puzzle of the First Flame by uncovering all the things left behind by Vendrick, who was attempting to end the cycle and the sacrifices by re-creating the conditions that caused the First Flame to come into being
>lol remember DaS1 guys?

>you mean the best Dark souls game.
Holy shit, just end yourself.

so why am i beef jerky for 2 games and suddenly an ashy nigga?

Bloodborne had better pvp than Dark Souls III

Since they added the Ringed City in 3 It now also has added
>lol remember DaS2 guys?

because asians wrote the story

Mario Kart 8 and Wolfenstein TNO were better.