What happened to this fanbase?

What happened to this fanbase?

The last DaS thread I was in was the most sour, pitiful one I've ever seen on Sup Forums.

We're talking 60% of the posts are people rating the series with meaningless metrics or talking about which is the worst. Dozens of posts using the most rancid tone to shit all over X.

The rest is just sour, sour dudes yelling at everything, from Vaati to ENB. Lore theories are ignored or shitposted.

No jokes, just absolute, hollowing spite. Not even rage, honestly.

So why did my favorite cult fanbase turn into this. Where the fuck is the joy for the series? The way I see so many of you act, it's like you just despise Souls. Did the people who like the series fuck off to /dsg/ and reddit? It's pretty fucking sad to see how these threads have gone from play to war.

Are you new? nu/v/ has always hated on every single game

It's simple.

Dark Souls was a flawed masterpiece after the equally flawed DeS.

After both games became internationally recognised/successful the community could only see the series being perfected.

Then we were given DS2 and 3 which were terrible.

PCfags
Extremist DS2 haters
Extremist DS2 apologists
DS1 and DeS are shit, take off nostalgia goggles
DS3 is the worst
BB is the easiest therefore the worst
Miyazaki is a hack, the writing makes no sense

You'll only find "Decent" discussion of the franchise on Sup Forums once in a blue moon where people just reminisce how much fun the series was but 98% of the time it's just shitflinging. It's just that modern Sup Forums has to operate on 50 layers of irony for some reason.

Yea, I have to say my patience for this has worn thin.

After several solid weeks of DS threads devolving into
>DS3 is worst
>DS1 is worst
>DS2 is worst
>BB is worst
>Here is my shitpost and the 20 replies with it

I'm just kinda done now and I miss the chill threads when shitposting wasn't the norm and people weren't just focused on "X is shit"

>Where the fuck is the joy for the series?
Why should anyone have joy for the series when the developer clearly doesn't?
They just released the last piece of content for the last souls game, the final goodbye, and it's again a letdown from every perspective.

Granted, is right, this is what's expected nowadays aside from the very few threads were people actually talk about a game they like. Even with the amount of hate DS2 gets, I still remember the threads during its release week and how nonsensical fun people were having discovering shit.

It's actually been around 1-3 years since this has been really going on.

At least it was better than AoA

>Did the people who like the series fuck off to /dsg/ and reddit?
anyone who wants to have a real discussion about a game they're interested in will always go to /vg/. Sup Forums is just a shitpost field for vidya.

Yea I remember playing DS2 with Sup Forums and everyone getting jumped by the ambushes.

Also of course the pvp when people were running Havelyn squads on poor little reds.

It's a shame that the most I've seen for the last year is just solid rage about everything in the franchise.

casuals figured out that the game isnt difficult at all but want to keep the myth of the "hardest game ever OMG" alive so they can feel elite and skilled.

it's a good series what the fuck else is there to talk about after all these years
DaS is the best in the series

Release Week invasions and PVP was actually pretty fun before the infamous meta started taking over. I had fun dual wielding a broadsword and rapier for a good amount of time bellfagging.

The fanbase went hollow.

bellfagging was glorious, it was honestly the most fun I had in pvp was stopping shitters from ringing the midget alarm.

>What happened to this fanbase?

PC "Gamerz"

Remember how good DeS generals were back before the Sup Forums /vg/ split? All of the great OC and lore speculation. It continued well into DaS as well but the PC port and more specifically PREPARE TO DIE EDITION is when discussion and fanbases turned to shit

The dark sign eats away at everyone until they lose their souls and become hollow and eventually, lose their mind

the player is no exception

Also, the fact that DaSII and DaSIII heavily retread some of the same content made opinions heavily divided. I love the series but I think what they should've done was kept making "spiritual successors" instead of having direct sequels.

DS2 came out and splintered the community.

>It's like Zelda, but removing all gameplay except for combat
>the combat is just shitty leftovers from Monster Hunter
>might as well take out the catchy music and coherent plots both series had too

What was there to like in the first place?

>DeS comics
>DeS pvp lul-builds
>DeS chill and play

It's a shame that this sort of attitude is highly unlikely to ever return to the series.

Even if you get a spiritual successor, it'll probably carry all the fucking baggage of this fanbase.

every multiplayer game/mode is always the most enjoyable early after release, before people go tryhard optimization. The existence of wikis nowadays accelerates the downfall of multiplayer enjoyment greatly. Things like dark wood grain ring, snaking in mario kart or even certain decktypes in hearthstone, while undeniably powerful, will become so popular that they drown out any other way of playing the game because they simply outperform them and at that point the variety in combat that multiplayer promised will vanish and human enemies will simply become another form of NPC.

The comics were the best, hell I think someone made an Imgur album with nearly all of them.

Spiritual successors would've been the best for the fanbase but they probably wouldn't have been as successful for Fromsoft.

Everyone was eager to see a sequel to DaS's gameplay and tone. It's hard to fault Fromsoft for what they did.

Yea. Sometimes I like a meta, but in a lot of cases, I have to say it just isn't what is healthy to a game. Metagaming brings a pretty deep sort of cancer to a series.

The most positive remark I've seen reflecting the series was made this week though.

>DeS is elder god tier
>DaS is god tier
>DaS 2 is good tier
>BB is cosmos tier
>DaS 3 is a greatest hits album and a farewell tour

I do have some qualms about DeS being the best because I mostly judge my experiences with boss fights and DeS didn't have all that many standout performances. Same goes for DS2 in that regard but DS2 gave me Sinh, Raime, Alonne, and Ivory King.

It'd be neat if someone had the link, I recall seeing a lot of them in the early DaS threads when people were talking about how evil Sen's Fortress was.

IMO lost sinner was most fun in 2 and pontiff in 3. 1 has both artorias and O&S and my mind changes from playthrough to playthrough which I love more.

At first it was only DeS and DaS where although there was contention as to which was better, people still thought they were fun.

Then the sequels come out, now take the DeS "i was here first" mentality and amplify it.

It isnt about "hey this game is pretty fun" anymore, now its "My favorite is the best in the series and everything else is dogshit!"

das2fags are the biggest cancer of the series
there aren't many but they patrol this site 24/7 ready to shitpost in any and every das thread

Hearing both the haters and apologists are the most annoying thing ever. It's bad, we get it, it's not the worst thing to ever be made.

upboat xD

Having played every game in this series I just don't understand that viewpoint.

I pretty much return to all of them at some point since each of them has pros and cons and a different sense of what they want to accomplish.

the bad bosses in demon souls are the worst bossfights in the series. Dragon god, armor spider, fools idol, adjudicator, all fucking boring as shit and badly designed. But the good ones, like false king, astraea and tower knight had a kind of atmosphere that i havent seen replicated in any of the other games. Maybe Sif. But the way the entire swamp area leads up to a duel with garl will always be my favorite aspect about demons souls.

Every reply to this thread is exactly what the OP was talking about.

except there is nothing wrong with das2 you contrarian cuck

There's plenty of things done wrong in DS2, and I used to defend it against the immense hateboner people have against it before I realize I wasn't going to stop them. The game had its snafus during development and shit went south. Some areas are poorly designed and it has the most amount of boring boss fights. ADP should have never been required for optimal i-frames either. DS2 easily has the most amount of weak points but it also has a nice handful of bosses that make it worth playing.
Armor Spider wasn't that bad but Leechmonger and Dirty Colossus were so fucking forgettable.

You're honestly best off just playing the games and ignoring everything to do with the community. They killed my love of the series and it'll do the same to you if you stay too long.

>but Leechmonger and Dirty Colossus were so fucking forgettable.
i honestly didn't mind it that much, especially on my first playthrough because the areas leading to them were bloody murder.

Its the nature of Sup Forums and Sup Forums.
They hate shit on everything even if they haven't played it.
ME Andromeda took a ton of shit and still does without most of us even ever playing it.

Because DS and the series as a whole is popular and loved by many all these people come out to shit on it because that's what Sup Forums does.

>"It's funny until they come for you and your favorite thing"

This is what it is and will always be.

I love the series but I won't talk about it on Sup Forums

dark souls fans are cancerous brainlets, you included

Not OP butt here's nothing else quite like this series so I'll never be able to bring myself to hate it, I just tend to avoid most threads here.
Yeah, Valley of Defilement and every swamp level in the series is kind of tedious.
>ME:A
But it really is a fucking laughing stock shit of an excuse of a triple A game. I played it and it's taken way too many steps back from the original trilogy.

>I love the series but I won't talk about it on Sup Forums
this is some post-ironic autism

or just learn to ignore shitposts.

You can have meaningful discussions about stuff on Sup Forums if you don't just jump on every comment like

If you think of it as a trilogy, DeS, DaS, and BB, it's fine.

You should've switched to Nioh worshipping, regardless.

What more is there to say about it?
Its all been talked about to death so at this point its all just shitposts replied to shitposts.

I know my opinion of the game and I don't need a stranger's validation.

What's wrong with that?

there's one of those insufferable das2cucks right now

A bit grating to ignore shitposts when it's 90% of threads. Hell, it looks like it might just start.

Its not just DaS. The entire site has pretty much gone down the shitter.

you know, there is a thing called "sharing opinions".

>not pol.jpg

Thought I would chime in with this. I bought ds2 recently and Im enjoying it. 3 will be next to get. Also I still enjoy ds1. I agree with you man why do people chimp out over the series. At this stage I cant tell if its bait or not.

The games got very popular therefore attracting massive amounts of shitposting.

Ds2>Ds3>Ds1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bloodborne

Prove me wrong

Bloodborne gave me Chalice Dungeons so I could theoretically partake in endless autism to test out my weapons and get better blood gems so I can't agree with that.

2 was fantastic for everything but its combat, atmosphere and level design. They messed up the hitboxes, rolling, hit feedback, basically everything that made the combat feel rewarding in the past. It had a ton of QoL features that were great to see, and it had probably the best range of equipment to use in the series.

More people = more shitposters, idiots, etc.
If you want recent examples, look at Nier's threads.

combat was probably the best in the series. Better than DS1 and DS3 you could punish estus chug too WHAAAT? Crazy

I still can't fathom how people can think 3 is the worst.

It's absolutely mind boggling when 2 exists.

Only games better than it are BB and DS1.

>combat was probably the best in the series
>tying i-frames to a stat
Nothing will ever be able to defend that.

this faggot is defending facestabs and unpunishable estus chug. kek

>demons souls comes out
>not a big game, but some people really like it
>with bamco, dark souls is made
>also comes out on 360
>mainstream success. people dont even know about demons souls in comparison.
>comes out on pc. highest selling version. popular enough to reach meme status.
>it is at this point that it became cool to hate
>old fans and fans who despise pc gaming claim only people who cant play demons souls think dark souls is better
>that (thankfully now dead) meme of pc games "not feeling right" starts up
>pc masterrace memes going strong
>at least we still get quality games...right?
>cut to Spike TV game awards. a pathetic and firmly "dudebro" event.
>dark souls 2 is announced
>already something is off
>season pass announced
>pre-order bonuses announced
>RETAILER EXCLUSIVE PRE-ORDER ARMOR/WEAPON DLC ANNOUNCED (this was the most pathetic thing ive ever seen. ill never forgive bamco for this)

1/2

>game is coming out, very different from early builds
>of course, this includes graphics. downgrade discussion begins.
>people notice it feels extremely different. some things just dont make sense to have changed.
>game is now designed with shorter levels with more checkpoints. lots of gauntlets featuring crowds of enemies at once. healing items are cheap and infinite.
>people bring up Miyazaki wasnt in his previous role
>"B team confirmed"
>matthewmatosis is super hot here. his video is talked here for weeks.
>dark souls discourse took a darker turn here but maybe theyll bounce back with a......
>....PS4 exclusive
>this kills the fanbase. and Sup Forums in general for a long time. and even now it will still kill some threads
>PS4 has framerate issues. this doesn't help discussion.
>People enjoy the game when it comes out. this also doesn't help discussion, sadly.
>cut to dark souls 3. people apprehensive.
>cut to release. community is mixed. its now cool to like dark souls 2
>threads from pc gamers saying that this is the REAL game and their shitty one will be forgotten.
>console gamers say vice-versa
>more e-celebs throw their hat in the analysis ring, while older youtubers grasp at thinner straws as the years so by.

2/2

They're in the 5 stages of grief since this is the end of dark souls.

The best thread was on /vint/ when we had flags. Of course leafs would try to shitpost but the discussion was excellent from everyone else.

This happened with the release of the PC version of Dark Souls 1. This is when the series went mainstream and the retards started flocking in.

I also blame Miyazaki fanboys for their extreme hate of DaS2. Thinking that it's worse than its predecessor is acceptable, but many of them treated DaS2 as the worst game ever, the 2nd holocaust. This started huge divisions among the series, and also started the irrational miyazaki worship.

Seems almost like you need a game that is constantly changing before people have the time to figure out a meta

Your post is why this fanbase has gone to shit.

In every fucking souls thread, even those irrelevant with DaS2, you have an autist suddenly expressing his hate for DaS2, as if he's trying to virtue signal, and this always starts arguments.

>2nd holocaust
>implying there ever was the 1st

kek nice try Goldstein

MEA was just an easy target with the huge amount of bugs out of the gate. Sup Forums's default outlook is to hate a game.

DaS1 gave you the proper feeling of exploring a small world that existed as a world.
Sequels fucked that up.
The level design in both is obviously videogamey (Not even using this ironically or for shitposting at this point) and the world design fucks up for differing reasons.
In DaS2 the world design obviously transitions between levels due to the development being forced to use whatever they could.
In DaS3 the world design is basically a straight line with a bit of branching.

I still don't understand why Dark Souls III is the only game in the series to feature a boss on the box art instead of what is usually assumed to be the player character.

How is tying it to a dedicated stat any different than tying it to endurance as it was before?

What setting would you want From Soft's next soulslike game to be in?

I know many people say cyberpunk but personally I think that would not work so well at all. Melee fighting in today's world is silly enough, cyborgs going at each other with muh 1000 times folded katanas would be straight up anime trope bullshit and I don't want that in games with such importance on the delivery.

But with medieval and victorian settings done, what would it be, then? Ancient Rome?

Before it was tied to weight which you then had to balance between defense and dodging.

but dodging was always correct in every single circumstance

but the boss is the player characters

I want a Tenchu reboot.

what the fuck are you talking honestly just lurk some lore theards here those are the best thread on Sup Forums right now.

The discussion has devolved because people have run out of shit to talk about.
Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne are all great games, and the only ones that you really "need" to play. Dark Souls 2 is a major departure from the game feel of the rest, and is therefore either hated by people who love the rest, or loved by people who hate the rest.

Dark Souls 3 was clearly not the FROM team working at their best, which is obvious from the huge drop in quality from BB+TOS to DS3+AOA/TRC. BB was a project of passion, DS3 was a project of obligation.

All that's left is lore and meaningless arguments.

People getting bored. Most of Sup Forumsirgins have thousand hours in soulsborne games, so they dont feel exitment and joy of playing pretty much the same game again and again.So we left with platform wars and trolling.

>implying this board wasn't filled with actual idiots from the start

I'm more interested in what the source of the problems in the world would be for the next one than the theme of the setting. Each game takes place in a world in peril with each series having a different epic source of the problems. In DeS it was the old one. In DaS it is the abyss, or more accurately I guess the cause of panic is the flame itself fading. And in Bloodborne it is the old ones and their blood.

But what I am saying is it was still basically tied to a stat. If you increased your endurance you didn't have to balance between defense and dodging.

A post-apocalypse Japan would be kick-ass.

Posting more art of it I found.

fuck no

You should know better than to try to discuss video games on Sup Forums.

Try another website, you might be able to have a civil discussion without shitposting.

Been playing Bloodborne. I'm stuck at the Amelia fight, I scratch her HP bar so very slowly and it takes so fucking long to do anything, I just mash dodge until I get backed up against a wall and her hair obstructs my view (deepest gameplay mechanic).

Fucking Blood Starved Beast was easier and more frantic than this (which was the last boss I faced, where for some reason I was practically invincible under his arm because ??????). I'm using the Saw Spear as well, the Cane is utter dogshit and I'm leveling Dexterity as well.

I genuinely don't understand why people like this game, there was vidya like Ninja Gaiden Black which weren't boring and even more harder. Guess I just don't like Soulsborne, I've tried DaS2 and absolutely hated it, DaS3 seems pretty good and I was doing great at it, but I can't find the motivation to continue. How is Nioh? Is it similar to this shit or is it CUHRAYZEE?

I used to think the hair blocking your view was kinda bullshit too, but i guess it's basically a tradeoff for not being able to get hit by 90% of her moveset.

What level weapon do you have? +4 if you can for amelia is ideal, plus fire paper helps a lot.

If you're leveling dex exclusively you should stick with the cane. Saw Cleaver is a quality weapon

>I'm stuck at the Amelia fight
Pretend you're a boss character and rape her shins with your spear and don't give her any time to heal.

fuck no. no anime bullshit.

You can only have a decent discussion about old or niche games like VTMB in this shithole. Everything else is console wars and shitposting in general. This board needs to dissapear for a few months.

For one thing you guys are the only fan base to lump all these games together and refuse to speak about them on their own merit individually.

Bloodborne is not even a souls game. Can you imagine if everytime we had a Residemt evil thread, the banner image contained RE1, RE2, RE3 and Dino Crisis?

>fuck off fags how is dino crisis NOT a resident Evil game and furthermore, Dino Crisis is THE best Resident evil game.
>nu-uh, and it might not be made by Capcom but Silent Hill is now the BEST Resident evil game! So im going to bring it up everytime Resident Evil is mentioned!

Yeah there's a reason we call it "soulsborne" and not "souls" buddyboy

They're all made by the same dev with extremely similar game mechanics and are pretty clearly (des>das>bb) supposed to be spiritual successors

shit came out and splintered the community.

I'm level 30 I think, and I did do some of those gem things, around +4 or +5, can't remember. I don't even think I can get fire paper (unless I buy it?) but at that point, I'm just grinding and may as well just level up instead.

The cane just tickles her, regardless of which variation I use. The fight is so tedious I don't really even get into it, and then if I time my dodge a little off, I simply die or get chain comboed by her.