also
>video game author

Todd Howard, of course!

Don't you mean auteur?

Besides memes I think at least:

Michel Ancel
Tim Schafer
Matt Bozon

Should be considered, yeah there are not many, but that may be because in the WW studios take the credits, as opposed to idea guys stealing all of it in Japan

Came into ask that as well.

If he means Auteur than:

Will Wright
Richard "Lord British" Garriot
Tim and Chris Stamper
American McGee

THIS

Avellone counts.

John Carmack
John Romero
Robert Woodhead
Andrew Greenberg
Richard Garriot
Jordan Mechner

And some infamous ones
Randy Pitchford
Tim Schafer
Peter Molyneux
Gaben
Jade from Jade's game

Molyneux

MDickie is one of the auteurist auteurs of all time.

>John Carmack

Carmack was only a programmer, user.
He only implemented the games and made a lot of fancy tech.

And, I also want to say that auteur theory is stupid.

Sid Meier

Todd Howard

>video game authors

Is this the birth of an epic new meme?

It's not stupid, but its blown out of proportion because of the amount of idiots who take film studies courses taught by people who have never even been on a film set. That's also where all this male gaze shit comes from. I even graduated in film and I can safely say film studies is 100% bullshit subject that is pretty much post-modern indoctrination.

Not really, people have been discussing videogame auteurs since the Sinclair at least, with folks like Jeff Minter.

>Hidetaka Miyazaki

With 3 the tard-nugget played everything way too safe. He tried to make the game appeal to casuls, but promised he spiced it up with "Skills" that are litterally the L2 attacks from DS2 with a fancy name. All while (in his almight benevolence) removing some of the best things about Dark Souls 2 like powerstance.

Regarding games created by one person is acceptable. Cult of personality glorification of art directors is not.

Molyneux is the epitome of auteurism in vidya although pretty pretentious
Suda and Kojima comes close but they still operate on traditional methods like making a fun game with a unique experience
Molyneux just does ideas and calls it a day which is a hit or miss thing but he tries unlike the indie fucks that wanna be like him

So, if you want to actually discuss then I'm willing to clarify and would love your opinion too.

The idea that one person can influence a final product is sound, it's obvious in fact. But auteur theory is based on trying to attach all creativity of a product to a single person, in this way films can be art in the way that people at the time discussed novels and music and poetry as art. That is, a reflection of a single creative will. (I think that's a questionable assumption about novels, and music, and poetry as well which are a confluence of many factors as well)

But it's a strong-armed attempt at having to rethink what art is. And in doing so it attempts to just downplay everyone but the director as some interchangable peon, when historically we have seen this to not be true. That there are many examples of directors who have a group of people they choose to work with who all contribute to the final product in significant ways.

Directors/Producer/Cinematographer/Screenwriter combos seem fairly common in Film. But in the end auteur theory feels like a simplifying assumption to me, they have to factor out as many factors as they can to make it fit into their argument of what is art.

Thoughts?

your gay

>List of Nip auteurs
>No Suda 51
>Lists Miyazaki

Miyazaki so far has done one amazing idea and has been milking it since
He needs to experiment more to consider him to be an auteur

Sho' nuff

Auteur theory reflects the era in which it was developed, when the "single creative will" was pretty popular part of that post-war optimism. Nowadays it's a marketing tool. Even back in the 1950s people were saying the exact thing you are, but again most professors are really dumb, especially when it comes to media studies. Film and games are both hugely collaborative mediums and I fully agree that Auteur theory is stupid way of ascribing transcendency to these creatives without justification, a reflection of our current culture where everything is either the greatest thing ever made or the absolute worst, so all creators must be the best or worst. It's also a very simple and easily taught idea because its just "hurr durr look at whats similar between these Hitchcock films". Auteurism just means similarity, in another context we can call it 'derivative'.

Do you have any particular feeling about what makes art? I have become just an extremist subjectivist at this point, but I still find it interesting to read other theory.

Like the guy above said, I am a fag, and thus I love reading theory.

>Japan is the only country that produces actual video games
fixed that for you

Defining art isn't important to me because its become shorthand for visual beauty, which is fairly boring and pedestrian definition. There's 'art' to be found in science and in math too if you want to look for it (Mandelbrot set, anyone?). I believe the quality of art is more important and I think that should be gauged the quality of discussion it generates. Art should "really make u think" but actually thinking is a pretty unpopular notion in the 21st century.

>authors

Neil Druckman, whose writing trounces all that weeb garbage.

Anthony Burch is a big name here.
Also Todd Howard

Patrice deselit. I don't fucking know how it's spelled

It's sad that this thread is mostly meme answers

you forgot father of pokemon.

satoshi tajiri.

The only right answer in this shitty thread.

Lord British

Games more than movies or books are a collaborative thing. Giving one person more credits is absolutely ridiculous for games.

who

Spector, Ancel

Idk any others I would consider acceptable thiugh