Teach me about the Neo Geo. Why is it so expensive?

Teach me about the Neo Geo. Why is it so expensive?

because it's an arcade machine. home version had the same hardware

Because...reasons. I never understood this either, especially when it only seemed to play fighting games and side-scrolling shooters.

Four bright buttons and two joysticks

But the N64, dreamcast etc, are all more powerful. Hell, the dreamcast is also basically arcade hardware isn't it?

>that button layout
>that joystick dongle
are americans retarded?

it was originally expensive when it was new but now it is expensive because it is the endgame exotic toy for stupid game collectors with too much money

They came out when that hardware was more affordable, and thus N64s and Dreamcasts are more common than Neo-Geos

Resellers and the retro bubble. Simple really.

The Neo Geo lasted until 2004 though.

The NG was able to do perfect, or at least so near perfect that it's negligible what the differences are, as early as '91. Then since only rich people were able to afford the thing it became rare.

The button layout works well, and bat tops were common.
I'll shove a bat top up your ass if you mouth off like that again

The AES was arcade machine hardware boxed into a home console and sold like shit so on top of that it's rare

Neo Geo CD lasted till 2004

A fucking common Neo Geo was from 1991, where the NES and Genesis were the only thing people had in their homes, SNES was about to be announced.

It literally was the most powerful home console in 1991, it was orders of magnitude superior to Genesis and SNES.

Needless power because Nintendo was the absolute king of the market back then, a $500 (about $990 today I think) machine wouldn't make a dent in its monopoly.

It was expensive the day it launched.

Like the 3DO, like the Jaguar, like all "superior" consoles to the SNES and failed miserably.

Well that's why SNK got bankrupted.

SNK got down for many things, Neo Geo just being one of them, SNK valued art above anything, and spend much more in their productions with artists, promotional material, etc. than a company of their size should.

CD barely got any support.
Especially since they fucked up right out of the gate with the original CD drives being 1x speed so loading anything took literally minutes. Imagine playing KoF95 and having 5 minute load times between matches.
By the time they put out higher speed drives nobody cared as the PS1 and Saturn were out and everybody wanted that polygonal action instead.

NG CD games were also gimped as the console didn't have enough RAM to hold as much information at once as the cartridge version, so it suffered from missing animations and features. Most games had redbook audio though which was almost always leagues better than the original cartridge version's music.

My Dreamcast is my Neo Geo CD. It plays the original discs with almost no load times. There's an emulator for it.

>SNK valued art above anything
Unfortunately this also includes making games that aren't the exact same copy of their gazillion sequels.

KOF looked like shit compared to street fighter 2/3 but metal slug is top-tier quality

Not relevant to what I said.

>KOF looked like shit compared to street fighter 2
Fucking what? When KOF debuted in 94 Capcom had nothing to boast about in terms of sprite quality.

Capcom to run and make the CPS2 system to put up a fight.

Garou, Last Blade 1/2, Kof 99/00, & a few other games had comparable sprites to SF2 & SF3. It's impressive how much they really squeezed out of the system in retrospect.

Rare and had hardcore games on it. Plebs today couldn't even dream of quarter feeding their way through let alone 1CCing that shit.

The market today is exclusively fed by status-seeking tryhards who are easily scammed into paying for games that have No way of justifying their market value.

Reminder: neo-geo.com retards are the laughingstock of the gaming community. These are members who legit got tricked into buying fake AES carts for FORTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS A POP.

It's not worth getting sucked into such an autistic world. Emulators all the way.

>Why is it so expensive?

Hipsters and dank retro collectors want it for more nerd cred and so they can stroke their dick over owning something rare and expensive that they'll never use

To be fair they were very expensive at launch originally and were not very popular

>that they'll never use
If I had a NG cabinet I'd fucking play that shit every day when I got home from work. NG games are beast.

On this, it should be noted that KoF was never really one of SNK's big graphic powerhouses until XII/XIII. This could be chalked up to the sheer sizes of the rosters needing to have a uniform sprite look and having to update them all at the time would have broken their yearly release schedule. Art of Fighting, Metal Slug, Fatal Fury, hell any of their other fighters, all had far better graphical prowess on the Neo Geo, as seen here.

>neo-geo.com retards are the laughingstock of the gaming community.

That's reserved for neogaf. Neo-geo.com's problem is they're the Sup Forums of video game boards. Their paranoia is so high they ban you for selling a game for $50 more than it went for the previous year, even if that's the going price. If I were to ask $200 for an MVS cart of garou over there they would ban me. Also you ave to have been a member for years at this point for them not to auto ban you for being a newfag. Weird place, but they're not the worst.

Ha, that sounds like a bunch of faggots.

Don't get me wrong i love NG games like Metal Slug and Magician Lord, and I'd probably do the same if I had one. but I've noticed with some people who are "into" collecting or retro shit they just do it for the attention and validation and Neo Geo attracts them only because it was literally for rich people back in the 90s and is seen as like a high tier of collecting and shit

Was never mass produced, so it's ULTRA rare.

They're oldfags. They remind me of a well organized Sup Forums from 2007 or so. at the very least they're all tightnit. They're working directly with the people making the Neo Geo Flash cartridge as well as the pocket color flash cart. It's something I guess.

>Magician lord

I got so pissed I own the bad version. There's an arcade version & a home console version & it;s only of like 2 games on the system where the home version isn't arcade perfect. One's way easier than the other one.

>it was literally for rich people back in the 90s and is seen as like a high tier of collecting and shit

Still is. One of the people who posts on the NG forums is a literal millionaire I believe. I don't see why SNK doesn't make cartridges again, they would make thousands off the neo geo community alone.

>crtl+f memory = 0 results

The Neo Geo didn't have much in the way of onboard RAM. Simply put, the carts have a shit load of memory chips on it and the carts were always super expensive.

And yet they still couldn't take a panorama picture without artifcating the shit out of it.

>"THE NEOGEO IS SHIT GUYS I SWEAR!!!"
>The NeoGeo is from 1989
>There wasnt any 1:1 ports of Neogeo games on consoles till gen 7