Worst/best Shrines thread BOTW

the constellation shine has to be the worst one, right? what the most satisfying one to you?

The constellation shrine is absolutely brilliant. It's a great example of a puzzle designed to appear difficult but is actually stupid simple that a child would be able to solve it before an adult could because you overcomplicate it heavily. I honestly felt a great amount of shame after finding out it's so incredibly simple.

>complaining about the constellation shrine
How does it feel to have a double digit IQ?

i cant argue with you there, but with normal customs of previous shrines and puzzle solving in general, i think everyone was conditioned to think this was solvable by looking at the constellations like a grid and putting the balls where they where in a grid format.

just today I saw someone playing BOTW on the shrine with the same problem and someone chimed in to give them a hint on how to solve it, agreed with them that it was bs, and others agreed.

This is both dumbest shrine and cleverest shrine

Yup, that's exactly what I did at first. Felt dumb when I figured it out

i actually liked that one. the worst one for me was
the one where you had to guide the ball through a maze using motion control and have it land on a ramp

None of them were satisfying. Even when a puzzle was relatively creative, it was so short and easy it was over before enjoyment kicked in.

I wish they cut shrines in half and made them better

shit was easy son, just flip it around so its flat and roll it off...

I'm still trying to figure out this puzzle.

that's what i ended up doing, but you know that's how it wasn't mean to be played

The worst shrine is either of the twin mountain ones. They're not hard by any means but it was super fucking annoying having to hit that many load times just to take screenshots and "solve" a braindead puzzle.

i think the major test of strength shrines were satisfying. a somewhat challenging shrine in the beginning of the game(when you dont have that many good weapons and low hearts) and you get a really nice payoff of guardian weapons.

its easy.
Look to the stars for guidance. The constellations are the key

This one was stupid. Why use the wind when you can just jump down and stasis the ball right before it falls into place to raise the platform?

The glory of 99% of shrines is that they can all be beaten in different ways. You're only limited by your creativity.

Looked up a guide the second I saw the stars desu
Favorite one was the one where it dropped you into lava

The one where you had to launch a ball into a pit using stasis

That shit was next to impossible and broke my weapons as a bonus

>yfw

>assume i have to go outside and wait for night to look at the constellations in the sky
>neat.jpg
>actually spent wood + flint to make a camp to wait til night
>look up in the sky and realize the draw distance doesn't even go past my backyard
>spend an hour contemplating it and realize how stupid i am

RRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Dahee is my personal favorite.

Shrine names were so silly. What where they even based off of? Owa Daim, Oman Au, etc, just sound like a Japanese guy trying to say idioms and phrases like Oh Damn or Oh Man, Ow.

when there's 120 of them, they're just going to follow a pattern of combining different syllables.

Oh well then it's settled then

dumbass

>worst
Any that were just one proof-of-concept puzzle. Ones that upset me the most were Shatter the Heavens and the one with a bouncing block

>best
I guess the electricity ones since those feel like they progress through a theme. The cheese potential you get with thunder weapons/shock arrows is neat too

The constellation shrine was easy, what is everyone talking about?

Please gimme a tip about the constellation one without spoiling the answer.

Taloh NIG Shrine is my second favorite. nigga

Oman Au is obviously an anagram of Aonuma

Some of them are probably similarly named that way, but the rest are random I think.

count shapes

look at the STAR(S) for guidance.

STARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
not star

Oman Au (which is the first one you're directed to) is an anagram for Aonuma. Dunno if there are others like that.

>it's a fire shrine
>throw bombs everywhere

The constellation shrine was so trivial and retarded. By far one of the worst shrines, no interesting mechanics to work with, just a shitty puzzle even a 5 year old would find too easy to be satisfying.

I kinda feel that there were too many blessing shrines whre you just enter and that's it, I guess they were ruining out of ideas.

you should be embarrassed to tell a story like this

this one was fucking great

loved the feeling of relief i got while figuring it out after sperging about for 2 mins

Best Shrine was The Whole Picture.

Worst Shrine was the motion control maze.

And yet so many people here couldn't figure it out. In a way it's kind of brilliant. I just love the shrine for how simple it was. I felt like there were multiple shrines worse.

What's this?

speedruns

Actually that WAS an intended solution for those able to figure it out.

Later shrines dont allow you to just flip it, and will cover the bottom with spikes

call it like i see it

I was fine with those as long as the environmental puzzle/quest was interesting enough.

When it was just a "hmm how do you get here" or "a stone tablet tells you what to do" I felt gypped.

Sounds like everyone involved was just as dumb as you then, so congrats on that

You have a camera in-game dumbass

All Main Quest + All Side Quests + All Shrines + All Korok Seeds run when

This. That shrine took me like a minute. Man people couldn't figure out they could use a camera for the whole picture, they couldn't figure out the constellation puzzle. Is Sup Forums just filled with idiots?

>screenshots

shit dude, I just took a note

they are routing

i found the shrine before i got to the researchers to get the camera. i just used my memory. it was not hard at all though

I just looked up a guide
I still have no idea how you were suppose to do this
You can get up their before getting the camera

People who couldn't figure it out were just overthinking it. They thought it was going to be a more interesting puzzle than it actually was because they made the assumption it would be as good as other shrines.

You can see a similar thing happen with the first puzzle in Deadly Premonition where it's centered around chess pieces. Everyone has trouble with it because they think it's going to be a chess puzzle, in reality the puzzle is just "identify what a given chess piece looks like". It's a complete garbage puzzle that only trips people up because they expect something actually good, just like the constellations.

Oh yea that's true I forgot it was right by that first stable. Yea regardless like you said, it's not a hard shrine. Not sure why people had trouble with it.

Same as this guy: My fault for exploring the sandbox before jumping on the main story. It's a recurring problem I have with these types of games.

My main gripe is that the "puzzle" is walking back and forth. The load times take longer than anything else since you can fast travel (and load the game more).

Even though you could flip it upside down, the motion controls and the platform dont really sync up perfectly which fucks with it

If the puzzle stumped you then that seems like the puzzle worked as intended. You can blame the puzzle all you want but it's on you baby.

This game as a whole is a piece of shit.

I used the Switch's camera.

Didn't even considered using the Slate because I'm a dumbass.

Yea I forgot that it was so early on too so my bad for that. Regardless there's like 5 ball positions you have to remember per shrine. I really hope that's not something that tripped people up that badly.

>Shrine that requires you to stop and think for at least 2 minutes
>Bad
It was the only fucking reasonably good one, and it was still shit compared to everything in SH2, Witness, Talos, etc...

Half Life 2 physics were to disguise the ineptitude of the puzzle design. This game is master of nothing, it just does a lot of stuff in an incredibly mediocre fashion.

You're good.

I don't think it's that it tripped anyone up per se, not unless you managed to find one and not realize there was another nearby. The clue makes plenty of sense and felt obvious provided you knew there was something else outside of that shrine for you to look at.

I was more annoyed than anything. Tedious shit isn't difficulty or challenge, it's just tedious.

>the one where you have to tilt all three orbs into the holes simultaneously

Until you get bananas and learn to parry, then they become an exploit.

Also the combat is super unsatisfying, and not because of the durability either. This has applied to every 3D iteration since MM. I mean what the fuck are they so busy with that they can't overhaul the combat in two fuckin' decades? Marketing?

literally took me 4 seconds to do in bed

whats the solution, I played it in spanish and the text didn't make sense, I think something must have gotten lost in translation there.

It didn't stump me. I tried the blindingly obvious solution first and it turned out to be correct. It was trivial and stupid.

A puzzle stumping people doesn't make it a good puzzle. This puzzle is literally "notice that two shapes are similar". It only stumps people because they expect more.

>until you get bananas
what do bananas do, user?

>that stasis golfing one
>the optional challenge in that one

Hi

five iron sledgehammer swings and then one or two jabs from that spear that's right in front of the shrine

Looked that one up on youtube, fuck that kind of thing in a game with limited durability.

you need to use a sword

bad: all motion control shrines

i actually didnt have a problem with this golf shrine or the other gyroscope mini golf shrine. they were kinda fun desu

The only fun one is the big cagey one with no sides on half off the outer walls, because you can keep it mostly level, push the ball and then stasis-blast is across the gap instead of trying to flip the fucking thing.

Defying the obvious puzzle is never not satisfying.

The worst is the one where you have to follow the korok until it makes it to the shrine. Stupidly easy and just felt like a massive waste of time.

How is the constellation one bad? It's literally just "Count the amount of constellation".

My favorite shrine was "Blue Flame". It went on for a pretty long time and took the concept of fire and ran away with it.

The game had a handful of shrines where I felt like they had one puzzle IDEA but only one puzzle made from that idea itself. Take "Shatter the Heavens" where you need to use two bombs simultaneously to blow a hole in the ceiling. There's plenty more difficult versions of that puzzle that could have built upon and added but instead it's just "blow a hole in the ceiling, you won".

They're fun but they could definitely be improved.

Oh and shoutouts to the shrine where you climb a ladder forever only to hit a switch at a dead end that sends you plummeting into lava. Damn Sheikah are assholes.

But the korok was cute

Fun fact: If you don't manage to take out the wolf when it appears, you're technically close enough to the shrine to book it over and unlock it.

I'd completed the thing and went back to turn in the quest only to find I needed to actually get the seedman to the location, so I had to do it again.

my friend warned me about one where i would have to abuse the fact that the two different bombs are on separate cooldowns.

when i got to the shrine i ran over and picked up the laser and he got so pissed at me

I would call it a speedrun strat but they already figured out how to boost over the whole thing

Am I bad at stealth games if it took me like 5 tries?

I was stuck for a while there because I was convinced that the angles of the constellations were the key somehow.

That video's stupid but I can't help but wonder how the fuck they figured it out.

WHAT

DAMN IT

>link_crawling_through_a_forest_for_5_years.wmv

>the lost woods entrance
>after like half an hour figure out that they stop putting torches when the direction changes
>mfw

it was from messing around with how momentum works with trees, they just tried it on the lost woods.

Please explain, I only managed to reach the deku tree by trial and error.

>yfw that was half of AC3

>ppl who watch let's plays are dumb
Who knew!

you can watch the breeze of the sprites and dust in the air
I felt godly when I figured it out

I'm surprised more people didn't notice the bomb thing sooner. Maybe it's just because I was so hard up on using my weapons that I handled almost every moblin camp by hucking bombs at people and running away, or running away and dropping them behind me and blowing people up as they ran over the bomb.

I killed myself more than a couple of times being inside of the blast radius that way. I had no idea you could upgrade your inventory because I didn't follow the road like I was told and I'm one of the guys who made it to the twin shrines without having unlocked any of the extra abilities.

I love open world games but I'm so bad at them. Oh, and how the fuck are you supposed to find out the way through the Lost Woods? Just raw trial and error? If there was a trick to it I never noticed it.

These are boring as fuck, I sigh every time I enter a shrine and find out it's not a puzzle.

once you run out of lights to follow, you light a torch and follow the direction that the wind is blowing the embers of the torch

Not that user, but what I did was follow the direction of the wind in Lost Woods.