XIV thread

Now that the dust has settled (no more content updates until Heavenstorm Reborn), what is your opinion on Heavensward as a whole?
Did you like it? Was it better than ARR? Did you enjoy the new stuff, like PotD? Favorite music? Which patch was the best? Post dem opinions.

Don't forget to preorder Shillblood, baby!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3cKy5Qk0QMM
youtube.com/watch?v=aTGhDklTOL0
youtube.com/watch?v=EaF2l3o6QMU
youtube.com/watch?v=25WOf5s-SU0
youtube.com/watch?v=wLCWCPyxByg
na.finalfantasyxiv.com/stormblood/contents/#raids
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If I get the Zeta title, can I buy replicas of ALL 2.X relics, or only the ones that I've obtained before?

Only the ones you have obtained before, obviously. Gotta grind these books, son.

Heavensward had way better story, music, and characters, glamours, etc.

ARR had better raid content

youtube.com/watch?v=3cKy5Qk0QMM

wish this track was used more
youtube.com/watch?v=aTGhDklTOL0

I truly don't understand why we can't get more than four bosses each raid tier. Coil was just the singular difficulty other than savage second coil; but Alexander had a story component so that it could be experienced by more of the player base. By this token wouldn't it be a good idea to divert more development resources to this content to keep both the casual and hardcore happy?

>Did you like it? Was it better than ARR?
Overall I liked it, they fixed tons of annoying things from 2.X (like the "all over the place" main story, beast tribe quests, cool new characters and less scion shit, the new jobs are great, etc). ARR's Bahamut was more cool than Alex, though. Answers still is the best theme.

>Did you enjoy the new stuff, like PotD?
PotD was great idea, it gives something for both new and veteran players to do, and is something a high level player can do with his friends that started playing XIV recently.
Diadem was a mistake. If I wanted to do fates I would do it on the open areas instead of some silly instance.
Verminion was a bigger mistake, and I'm sure 4.0's next minigame will be too.
Squadrons and custom deliveries feels very incomplete and pointless. You basically work on something for weeks, just to become another blue scrip farm. I guess we will see more stuff about it on 4.0.
Never did Aquapolis because I wasn't playing when the most of the playerbase was interested in it.
Alex had a stupid story but very cool fights.
Void adventures had a shitty start but I liked Weeping City and Dun Scaith (Yafaemi sets are great).

>Favorite music?
youtube.com/watch?v=EaF2l3o6QMU
youtube.com/watch?v=25WOf5s-SU0
youtube.com/watch?v=wLCWCPyxByg

>Which patch was the best?
3.3, it was the actual ending of Heavensward. 3.4 and 3.5 are basically Stormblood's prologue.

MSQs too short. Then again, ARR's filled with fillers. Here's hoping 4.x will be longer than 2.x, but as condensed as 3.x.

dropped in 3.3, Alexander had so few good fights till then, i got burnout, played a shitton of hours during ARR tho.

Maybe i will come back a month before the expansion.

I'm scared, can they even match with HW OST, because Jesus, that theme, specially the ones you hear during nidhoggs 2nd and 3rd phase which are different versions of the theme you hear since you first cross the bridge to ishgard

I hated Alexander as a whole and the 24 man wasn't nearly as charming as Crystal Tower.

The story was great and the 5 mans were about par.

All in all it was decent.

I hope SB does something to shake things up because they can't go another year or two on more of the same.

Has yoshi-p talked about current class changes yet?

There was a thing going around with a bunch of hearsay including Enochian being made a passive buff but nothing confirmed.

there was an interview where he talked about paladin changes

YoshiP said that Ala Mhigo will be a whole new thing, but I don't have high expectations about it. Maybe he is planning to bring back hamlet defense system from 1.X.

Random bits on various interviews and the korean live letter, like rampart and shadowskin becoming a single cross-role skill.
He will "officially" talk about it on May's live letter.

Last MSQ i finished was Louisoix's Finest Student. Subscription ended at this point but I'll probably pick it back up for stormblood.

What the fuck is wrong with the Aether data center's DF?

>get into Baelsar's wall
>wipe multiple times on the second boss because retards don't stay still for the motion mechanic
>think maybe all three of them are new
>check their character info
>all multiple 60s
>see they have descriptions written
>M/E/RP "eyes filled with void"
>succubi
>realize they're from Balmung
>just drop the party and reque

First time I run an expert without my static, and this is what I find. Is this indicative of all Aether's DF groups, or did I just get the short end of the stick?

There is a free login campaign going on right now, you can log in to complete the 3.5 MSQ and then wait for 4.0.

So I just looked at high level boss fights in yt.
How the fuck do scholars and summoners keep their pet alive with all those mechanics?

What are the odds of us getting grade 6 materia in SB? I'm sitting on 50ish potsherds and I'm trying to decide if I should just sell all of the as Savage Aims

Sweet thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out and maybe do some grinding for gear in the process

heavensward introduced grade 5 so chances of grade 6 in SB are pretty high unless they rework how materia works too.

Yeah, I guess I'll just sell them since it's pretty much given that the prices will just keep dropping

>tfw queueing in
>People say hello
>I greet them in French
>Have had a few people spazz the fuck out and/or drop group over it

Heavensward killed my interest in the game.

I'm not entirely sure why, aside from the 5-month initial delay after launch content has been fairly constant - Alex was fun, the story and characters were better written, everything became more streamlined, and so forth... But the game also somehow became soulless and the ARR "magic" wore off and they never seemed to recapture it.

If I had to pin it on any one thing, I guess it's that despite being a themepark MMO there's a surprising lack of fun things to do. The game sorely needs more simplistic, addictive elements and a stronger emphasis on community building (Free Companies essentially have no point for existing) - otherwise it's all just a slow grind for levels and gear with a carrot-on-a-string structure to keep us subscribed.

Aether's DF isn't that bad all the time (ERPers don't use DF that often), but unfortunately shit like that isn't exactly rare either. Then again, I only play on Aether so I don't know if shit like this is common in other datacenters.

Pretty high, but apparently they are planning to tweak the secondary stats for the 4.0 battle system changes, so I'm not sure if materias are going to be affected too.

They put them in spots the dps won't stand for mechanics, and where the tank won't let the boss cleave it. Pets also have aoe damage reduction and SMNs and SCHs have a cheap pet heal they can spam

you got insanely bad luck there, generally it's not so bad. worst case you usually get one shithead that's annoying as all hell but you can just blacklist them at least

>The game sorely needs more simplistic, addictive elements
like what, elaborate.
faggots keep asking for content but never give any ideas. being vague in your feedback is what gets you lords of verminion, diadem, and other crap.

How is BLM in the game?
They're high damage, zero mobility but end game dungeons and raids have lots of mechanics. How do they deal damage?

They have shield abilities to help absorb damage. Otherwise, you have to learn to slidecast so you can avoid damage while still getting your spells out. It basically means abusing the server tics and spell animations so you can move at the tail end of your cast bar and still have the spell go off.

>tfw fall asleep every time I dungeon

Other games I can grind hell even runescape is more engaging than games like this and WoW. I will never get how you people do it. It's the older generation too. I don't know what you see in it.

>everyone joking about using minions in battles and shit
>verminion happens

How good Stormblood will be solely depends on the OST.

Good BLMs fish for procs like Thundercloud and Firestarter to get ready for movement. Aetherial Manipulation helps them get in position without losing too much in casts.

Their damage overall is on par with MNK assuming neither of them have their respective buffs, but obviously its much harder to do so as BLM just because of mechanics. They're the least reliable and most fluctuating from run to run. One run they get thunderclouds right before time stop in a12s and get another one during the stun, sharpcast can only help you so much. Overall though, a properly played BLM is extremely fun though. Although SMN outshines BLM on fflogs, it's almost entirely due to aoe overkill. In terms of effectiveness, BLM/SMN are roughly the same.

Loved story despite it being generic(muh evil rich people and religion), traveling parts and Ishgard quests generally felt great, with final steps of faith being great ending
But scions(aside of boy) and alliance leaders were cancer that almost ruined expack for me

So, what can we expect?
na.finalfantasyxiv.com/stormblood/contents/#raids

HALF-ASSED SWIMMING

so whats a good server to go to if you're tired of balmung?

>Nophica doujin pops on sad panda
>heard that it is shitty but decided to open it anyway
>futa lizard MC
>Kan-E-Senna turns into Nophica
>suddenly flying hands and dicks everywhere
>generic futa on female action with bad angles
>flying dicks decides to start an orgy with them
>more lizard shit in the end
Not even doujins are safe from the horrors of Balmung.

Fuck Ysale

au ra were a mistake

I missed out on Binding Coils, I want to fight monsters dammit. I hope they mix it up and it isn't just machine shit like Alex.

coil had a fair share of machines as well, you can bet omega will have at least 1 machine boss per tier

That was fine though since it had some variety

>travel to forests,deserts,space and something else
>once you defeat omega you unlock the "phantom village"
>players can roam around freely there

>stormblood will kill WoW during your lifetime

>what is your opinion on Heavensward as a whole?
It was best when your party was DRG-kun, Ice tits and Alphinope. I had friends help fly me around so I could unlock currents faster, so I avoided the tedium of travel. But the exp dumped on you plus good enough quality gear made it enjoyable to play through. Also loved the near constant story happening with the Knights and Ishgardian society.

Everything outside of that felt a bit weaker. Not to an unenjoyable degree, but still weaker. Wish the Warriors of Darkness got a bit more time and development. Never felt any danger about them outside of the Duty and noticing all that blood on WAR's axe.

Sure. Good example would be Chocobo Racing - instead of emulating the success of Mario Kart (or even Square's own CR PS1 game), we received something that was structured around a heavy investment of time and a needlessly convoluted breeding system that used RNG to artificially lengthen it. People don't play it because it just isn't fun.

Same with Triple Triad, which has a heavy grind attached for getting good cards.

>lords of verminion

People got hyped about this because they wanted Minion Pokemon, not a RTS-hybrid something with a tutorial so bloated most people haven't got past the first mission of. Having a minigame where we could battle minions 1v1, teach and exchange abilities, etc would have been great if it was designed with accessibility in mind.

I expect swimming and QTEs to plague at least a third of all SB instanced content

Oh god I forgot about QTEs. Do we really need QTEs in an mmo?

No.
>people still unironically die to A11's QTE

They've already said there won't be underwater combat so at worst you'll have some swimming sections in dungeons/story raids where you're simply moving through the environment.

I can see more QTEs happening though.

Is 14 a good MMO to jump into if I havent played one in years?

It's the best mmo out right now, but that honestly isn't saying much. There's a free trial if you want to give it a shot.

>MSQs too short
Per patch I'd say. I started playing around whatever patch introduced Sophia so I avoided a lot of waiting as I trudged through 2.0. But by the time I caught up with 3.4, I can see why so many members of the FC I was a part of at the time had so many offline 60's.

3.5 just happened, and I finished, and honestly could not believe it after coming off such a rush. 3.5b felt even worse.

>with a tutorial so bloated most people haven't got past the first mission
I was not expecting it to be so long and utterly boring. The music is fine for a first loop, then it just grates on your ears.

Gold Saucer just needs a mini game over haul because the only thing I see people actually do are the events and cactpot. I want those beast nails really bad, but I'm just not willing to invest time into not having fun.

yeah they hold your hand through the early levels. Its pretty slow at the start but increase in difficulty later on.

Depends. Did you enjoy old MMOs? Because if you did you'll hate FFXIV.

The game is very story driven. You will spend alot of time in cutscenes or doing things on your own, it won't generally be just a jump in and do whatever you want experience. Lots of things are gated behind the main story quest. The combat feels very slow until about level 50+. The graphics are nice. People are generally pretty friendly.

>people die to a big flashing "press x to not die" warning with a 4 second timer
please be joking

there's people that willingly stand in an aoe called "level 150 death" in world of darkness

usually everyone runs out of the aoe and leaves the sorry sod to die

I'd like QTEs more if instead of "press X to not die" it was "press X to gain a bonus" like immunity to the next mechanic or a small stacking vuln up on the boss

As a very casual MMORPG player, I've really appreciated that. Hell, you're almost to the end of ARR when you hit your first 8man.

>levelling roulette
>haukke manor
>tank is a marauder
>fem au ra
>still in the brand new gear from hall of novice
>almost never uses overpower
>uses flash about 5x more than he used overpower
>me and black mage constantly rip hate from him
>completely ignores all my autotranslate messages telling him how to play the game
>healer is slow as dicks with his everything so we die a lot
>50 minute run
how do these people even fucking breathe

>press x
I think the problem was it being press anything, as odd as that sounds. When I first saw it, I was expecting it to be something tied to my controller. But there was no clear direction and I can see that tripping people up. I just pressed anything because I figured "why not"

I'd have left 10 minutes in honestly.

>Kirito Tia joins the party.

>tfw 3 people go manticore in edda fight
Why do I always get the retards?

>"press X to gain a bonus" like immunity to the next mechanic
I would love to see all PRESS SKIP BUTTON OR DISBAND parties in PF.

I need a reason to log on and actually do something with my sub.

Anyone on Chaos wanna do something?

>almost never uses overpower
I bet they didn't even try to stun the maids either.

>doing potd
>wonders why he gets retards

They only die if people don't run out.

heavensward had a great story (for final fantasy standards) and i'm eager to see what comes next
ravana a best

>floor right before boss
>they use Succubus

The reason they start slow I feel was to ease the player into endgame rotations but god knows that 95% of the people in this game don't even know that.

>noticing all that blood on WAR's axe.
If i remember right it's what the 2.0 relic axe looks like at one point. Bravura atma I believe.

Half the time it's some retard trying to beat his personal record of 0.0001 seconds left on the timer. The rest, it's someone who's genuinely clueless.

>be NIN/DRG
>get marked/bound for level 100/150 death
>use shukuchi / backflip to drop myself over a large group of people
>get half the raid killed
absolutely amazing feel
wonder if it works with BLM's Aetherial manipulation

The sudden jump in actually having to be decent at your job is pretty jarring really. There should have been more idiot checks early on.

>tfw the grind for the week has tired me out and I just wanna hang out in XIV threads and shitpost

>not liking triple triad
wot

i'll give you verminion though
chocobo racing sounds about the same as it was in ff7 so i was never really interested in it to begin with
gold saucer could really use some new attractions

Neat detail. But still. Wouldn't their party's ilevel be too low for Ravana? Aside from being undersized, they're wearing lv 50 job gear.

I know I'm looking to deep in it, but fun to think about.

>50 minute run
how does that even happen? i've never had a dungeon go over 30 minutes
just the thought of it scares me

Glamour, son.

I hate sprouts.
Always pulling and killing the shit I need.
Always going in fights they obviously can't win.
Always doing that one FATE you need and finishing it before you get there.
Always running around like chickens on every goddamn enemy.

>MSQs too short

Yeah no, fuck off, im a few months into the game and im 60, but still not up to current patch because tgere are SO MANY GODDAMN EXPOSITION QUESTS

From scratch, going through the entirety of the story is fucking torture

Why

Is

It

So

Fucking

Long

Goddamn

>There should have been more idiot checks early on.
This is what solo duties should be for. If you're a tank, then have the duty guaranteed to fail if you don't keep up aggro, and party member ai alters depending on your role. I don't know if this is too ambitious for the game, but it would be a small bump in challenge while still being clear and casual friendly.

probably wearing i350 accessories or glamour

Unless you're actually past HW thordan, fuck off. Everything after is pretty straight forward to the point.

I got a 45 min run on leveling roulette once (Library), and without a single wipe. The two DPS are new, using shit gear and probably fucking up their rotations and dots too.

I hate crowns more, at least sprouts are "supposed" to be bad.

Aether is where all the ballers and english speaking elites are at

But its also where all the faggots are located, at the same time, so its a mixed bag

Easy. Let me share with you one of my first experiences with the game.
>be low level GLA
>tam-tara deepcroft
>zone in, 2 newbies, 3 of us are sprouts
>healer leaves immediately
>the PGL and LNC stay in with me
>PGL and I cc cure to try and keep ourselves alive
>run out of my shit nq potions like one pull in
>run took over a fucking hour with nearly a dozen wipes
>healer connects just as we kill the last boss

Are you sure you aren't talking about mentors?

I am 19, but i find it enjoyable, maybe its just not for you

Honestly having played on both Primal and Aether a decent bit, I can say that Aether is generally much better for DF. But having said that, on Primal it would be rare to find a group that was so shitty I couldn't finish content, everything would just be consistently slow. On Aether when a group is bad, it is often bad enough to actually have to give up and requeue.

So mixed bag, but I prefer Aether. Balmung is exactly as bad as everyone says though.

Delving deep into the Alchemist quest lines.

Hey, we're heading into Frankenstein territory aren't we?

If you liked WoW to any degree, you may like this game better