Which was the better trilogy and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zR9_cTzfvwk
youtube.com/watch?v=rM_pAI1LlIs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Resistance, no contest.

Both were utter dogshit

Killzone for the online

I have only played Killzone, but I would believe anyone who wanted to argue for Resistance. Having played that collection just a couple years ago, it's crazy how true "only Killzone 2 is good" really is. The K3 multiplayer was fun enough for a while, but populated exclusively by South Americans who knew all the exploits to keep your team pushed back to a single checkpoint.

Killzone Mercenary was a pretty good time though and probably better than the Resistance Vita game.

These games existed?

resistance has the better trilogy

although killzone mercenary, despite not being in the trilogy, is better than any game in either series

>GAME: TRILOGY
>Includes 3 full games!

It fucking says "TRILOGY" right there on the fucking cover, what the fuck, why even repeat yourself

I wish another game would try the "Warzone" mode Killzone had.

I remember Section 8 did something similar, with a bunch of varied objectives appearing on the map that were basically a bunch of game modes on one map at the same time.

Resistance. Both are forgettable generic garbage but resistance is at least made by insomniac and not some no-talent SJW Dutch faggots who put nazis in space because they're that uncreative and they still hold a grudge against nazis even though they we're objectively the good guys. Fuck guerrilla and their feminist piss, shit, and drivel. And fuck Kojima too he belongs with them being they're all no-talent hacks

Go the fuck outside, goddamn.

Killzone

>Bought the Resistance trilogy
>First game didn't age well at all but I could sort of appreciate what it was trying to do
>Second game was ass
>Third game was shaping up to be good but I was too burned out after the first two games to finish it

If Resistance 3 had some fucking ONLINE CO-OP it would've been great, better than Killzone. But that's not the case.

Got to make sure the dumb people understand. Not everyone knows what trilogy means.

>but populated exclusively by South Americans who knew all the exploits to keep your team pushed back to a single checkpoint.

Why the hell has this series been so freaking popular with hispanics? There is no other game I can think of that has this many hispanics playing it besides maybe Gears of War.

Uncharted 2 and 3's multiplayers ended up the same way. I think the free PS3 PSN attracted them.

The reason no other game wants to do a mode like that is pretty obvious. You need to balance your game well around such a mode. Then you also got to realize that most people out there aren't going to want to stay in an already lost match.

That was a flaw with the mode. You lose the match yet you still need to continue finishing it even if it was lost 30 minutes ago.

Resistance 1 has dated about as well a milk on a dashboard. 2 and 3 are still ok though.

The online for 2 was just all right. It was a common thing around that time to shoehorn in online to a game and like a lot of devs they didn't put everything they had into it and it hurt the game overall. if your game is primarily a single player shooter trying to sell it with a subpar multiplayer aspect it just going to it it against much bigger online shooters like cod and battlefield, they don't stand a chance.

it's was glaringly obvious with Bioshock 2's MP. most fo the time the Mp of these games isn't bad as well. it would just be cool to see the games have standalone SP titles and have the MP ones as spinoffs. Bioshock Online as a dedicated MP game would've been awesome.

>Mercenary
great taste, user

KZ for multiplayer, Resistance otherwise and was also more difficult and punishing then the average shooter at the time.

Killzone 2 had GOAT multiplayer, prove me wrong.

You are exactly right.

only played res1 and res2, res2 had a couple really cool weapons and the online was fun for a good while like mgo2
never played res3, worth it to try next time i'm at my relative's place?

Resistance 1 and 3 were good single players games. Killzone 2 was the only good one.

>never played res3, worth it to try next time i'm at my relative's place?
Yeah, one of the best FPS campaigns since Half Life 2

Agreed. Shadow fall sucks.

I like both trilogies.
but I think the Resistance trilogy is cooler
I like the Alt-History WWII era setting of the first 2 games, the Alien invasion with a slight twist, and I like how the series changes protags

Resistance, sadly.

Both were pretty interesting imo

Killzone: Game that has Psuedo political undertones and has quite a few parallel s to real world thing. Space nazis against isa dogs. Lore is surprisingly good and interesting, but game stories are mostly meh. Mercenaries and KZ2 are the best in the series.

Resistance: alternate history about aliens invading the world during ww2, causing armies to fight an op enemy and adopting their weapons. Nathan Hale is is bro tier. Cool Chimera types, and tracer weapon. Lore is pretty meh outside of games. R1/2 are probably the best in the series.

>Killzone Mercenary was a pretty good time though and probably better than the Resistance Vita game.
I can confirm this. Killzone Mercenary is miles better

Why are the enemies in these games so aesthetic?

Killzone Liberation > Killzone 2 > Killzone Mercenary > Killzone 1 > Killzone 3 >>> Killzone Shadowfall

>No game where Helghast tank division invades Vekta and we play as either ISA or Helghast armor division
>Can only see some of their unique tanks in the PSP game and sparingly in the first Killzone.
>No more Killzone games with the original composer guy they used to hire
I honestly think the Killzone 1 and Liberation soundtracks were the best, followed by 2.

Killzone 1 is shit, 2 is great, 3 is okay.

Resistance 1 is great, 2 is shit, 3 is good.

Mercenary > Liberation > 2 > Shadowfall > 1 >>>> 3

Killzone PSP game (liberation?) Was a very dope top down-esque shooter w a lot of variation. The resistance PSP game was just a regular shooter iirc.

Both series' peaked at 2

Col. Radec literally did nothing wrong. Prove me wrong. Protip: you can't

Liberation was the shit

What's with the 3 hate? I thought it played much better than KZ1 and less boring. Also

J E T P A C K S

Quake.

Being that he's a solid final boss in a FPS (what a novel fucking concept) with a great theme, that alone guarantees he did nothing wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=zR9_cTzfvwk

resistance

killzone 2 is the best game though

GAS THE VEKTANS

GALACTIC WAR NAOWW.

Resistance was more creative, so I'd say it's better. Killzone 2 had some great multi but the series felt so generic. The story felt like the first half of Quake 4.

killzone obviously

This. tfw got it free when sony got hacked .

This is the true answer

Hispanics love Playstation, it seems like Black Ops 3 is mostly Hispanics.

This. Killzone lore was kino, but the games felt like some generic call of duty campaign. The world was fleshed out and left tons of ideas. Resistance had meh story and world building tho.

This.

Resistance improved with every iteration.
Kill one was more or less the same game each time. R3 also is a great contender for best console exclusive fps.

All of these games were garbage except for Resistance 3 and that was because it felt almost like a weird fusion between Half-Life 2 and R&C weaponry.

>mfw people ITT actually putting Resistance above Killzone
Disgusting taste. The worst Killzone game is alright, while the worst Resistance game is hot trash that took two steps back and fell off a mountain. I loved Resistance 3 but Killzone trilogy is way more consistent.

>Sony shut down the dev team behind Mercenary after RIGS underperformed

Resistance 1 was mediocre as hell, so was Kill one. They're two games it's hard to believe got a sequel. Kill one 2 was a legit piece of shit where every element went from mediocre to terrible. I didn't even bother with Resistance 2 or Killzone 3.

Shadowfall looked ok, but with the track record that series has, fuck it.

Killzone still has its multiplayer servers, so that.

> Killzone 1
FPS with cool story and some good ideas, but terrible gameplay.
meh/10 at best

> Killzone Liberation
GOAT psp top-down shooter. Fun campaign and I had a ton of fun playing local multiplayer with people at school.
highly recommend/10

> Killzone 2
THE best military shooter of all time. Everything feels heavy and realistic, guns have so much impact and 10/10 sound design. Story was great, much deeper than the "hoo rah! Kill the Nazi's) it seems to be if you listen carefully and understand subtext. The ending was actually brilliant as well. In addition it had 10/10 multiplayer.
Must play/10

Killzone 3
Shit. Gameplay is alright. But look and tone of the game is completly fucked. Forget the gritty futuristic WW2 Asthetic We generic sci-fi now. Story is also fucked beyond repair and failed to follow up on anything 2's ending setup. Multiplayer was alright but way worse than 2's.
Avoid/10

> Killzone Mercenary
So good. A fully fledged FPS on a handheld with near PS3 level graphics. Letting you pick your own Loadout for each mission was genius and let you play how you wanted and not how devs designed mission. Sniper all the time if you wanted, or use the pump action shotty that felt like pure sex despite not rumble and tinny vita sound. Story was pretty decent. Multiplayer was fun but I barely played it.
System seller/10

> Killzone Shadowfall
Shit shit shit. It's pretty, I'll give it that. But it barely feels like Killzone at all, classic weapons are gone, the old gritty look/feel is completly extinct. Story had potential but just felt dumb. Forcing you to always carry the basic rifle was so stupid, two weapon limits were bad enough, now it's a 1 gun choice for the player. Especially bad after Mercenary gave you an entire inventory to choose from each checkpoint.
Tarnished legacy/10

I'll do resistance next post

They should port it to PS4, it's the best Killzone game

Resistance 2 had GOAT 8 player online coop, way better than KZ2 multi-player.

resistance 3 is one of the greatest console fps of all time. killzone is fucking garbage.

Resistance 3 > Killzone 2 >> Killzone > Resistance >> Resistance 2 = Killzone 3

Resistance

But only because I consider the Chimera to be more interesting than space commies

why do people say mercenary is the best kz game?
What makes it so good?

Space Jin-roh's are more aesthetically pleasing, even if they are wasted potential.

For me:
KZR2
KZ3

While Resistance 2 had an identity crisis ultimately resulting in it alienating its core audience when it tried to embrace the CoD trend, I'd argue Resistance improved once it found it's audience again.

The third was a step in the correct direction which a tight narrative and fully realized identity, however the ironic thing being is that Resistance 2 may have been more successful if it had came out now and embraced current trends. With the trends of a character conquering harsh environments in an open world setting (BOTW, Horizon Zero Dawn, Far Cry, MGS V) I could've seen a Resistance 2 leaving a better feeling upon potential desired new audiences with its material. Because it's clearly Resistance 2 was cynical.

>we need resistance 4 on ps4 now

i think its kind of weird that they are the ones who are making the new spider man. i thought sucker punch would have been a better choice.

easily Resistance. the third one is the best game insomniac has ever made

Yeah, resistance fanboys were spamming 4chins with their bullshit back in the day, KZfags have also done their part at shitting this place up.

> Resistance: Fall of Man
Really, really good. Near perfect mix of classic and modern FPS tropes (only surpassed by Doom 2016). Non-regening health, fast base movement, no sprinting, no ADS, weapon wheel, good enemy varity. Shooting felt good and the huge variety of weapons all with alt-fires was great. Story was interesting but never really went anywhere, just kept introducing new mysteries, although I've been told there's a entire sub-plot going on in the background if you decode the morse code heard beeping on black ops soldier bodies. The tone and way story was told were nice though. Plus locking 4 of the coolest weapons in NG+ where no one ever got to use them was stupid.
Underatted masterpeice/10

> Resistance 2
Disapointment in a box 2008. Fall of Man succesfully avoided every shitty trope plaguing modern FPS (2 weapon limit, regenerating health, slow as molasses walking speed) and now insomniac seemed determined to make the most generic FPS of all time. All those things were here meaning instead of side strafing around switching weapons and mowing down hoards or chimera you now hid behind cover and took pot shots, then ducked back into safety to heal. Using whatever 2 guns the devs placed for you. Multiplayer however was goat.
Super meh/10

> Resistance Retribution
Awesome psp game. Managed to make a third person shooter work with one analogue stick. Fun little game and story was actually more interesting than 1 or 2.
Good/10

> Resistance 3
Return to form. All the classic stuff was back (except movement speed and lack of ADS, although Hipfire is accurate). Great campaign and a nice Petsonal story that kind of falls apart as the ending of the series. Would have worked much better as a spin-off.
Great/10

Killzone 2 is the best game, but Resistance is the better series having only one meh game while Killzone has 2 shit games and one horribly dated one.

I can't say much about Resistance, but from what I've heard the first two games were all right to bretty good, depending on who you ask.
What I know though is that Resistance found a good compromise between healthpacks and regenerating health. Still nothing I'd like to see in any game, but much better than anything with regenerating HP.

I played Killzone 2 and really appreciated the aesthetic of it. It really much captured SciFi WW 2 atmosphere. However, the performance is garbage and the excuses made by the developers were even worse. The game still looks great but inputlag and movement smoothing are atrocious to this day. This doesn't feel like some military simulation where weapons have weight. It feels like sheit.

You were doing so well until you came to Killzone Shadowfall.

Shadowfall still absolutely feels like vintage Killzone, and I'd personally put it side by side with 2 as the best in the series. The gameplay is excellent and the story is fine (highly ironic considering you praised Killzone 2 for not being a boring 'hoo rah! Kill the Nazi's'). The multiplayer is Killzone 2-tier and the Intecept mode is an extremely fun addition. OST is phenomenal, and sums up nicely why I love the game so much;
youtube.com/watch?v=rM_pAI1LlIs

>better
Resistance has never been good. Its not even visually pleasing as KZ was. So it got even less.

>FPS games being console exclusives

> we need resistance 4 on ps4 now

I'm praying for a prequel set on mainland Europe pre-R1 dealing with Chimera pushing west.

Hopefully they look at the success of doom and see that "mix of old and new FPS ideas" worked well, and copy it. The fast movement, the health, the weapon wheel and alt-fires. Doom 2016 was basically a Resistance game with a different setting and character models. A game that played similar to that but with some vehicle sections and some huge army VS army sections would be incredible.

i liked all KZs but shadowfall is a 6 at best, extremely disapointing even going with low expectations.
The graphics are great but it just misses something KZ2 remains the best one to this day (havent played mercenary tho)

>Resistance has never been good

what a bad opinion

now that you mention it resistance 3 really does feel like doom2016, just a couple of notches down

Resistance really mindfucked me because when I first played the demo from the brown and grey aesthetic I assumed it was going to be a pop and shoot game and it seemed to play like dick. It wasn't until way the fuck later I somehow figured out it was a side strafing head shooting kind of game and fell in love with it.

Not really.

Fall of Man is much closer. Resistance 3 has slow movement speed and a sprint, all the guns have sights and reticule bloom. Basically it plays like a hybrid (no pun intended) of call of duty and older FPS's. You play like cod but with much more options to tackle any situation and all mistakes are permenant until you find a health pack.

Fall of Man has no sights and no reticule bloom, also no sprinting but default speed is enough to side strafe bullets. Especially in the bits with you alone vs a room full of chimera it feels like old Doom, you zoom around the room keeping your crosshair on enemy's unloading.

Resistance was way more fun to play, but looked like shit/lacked charisma, while Killzone had better graphics and visual design but played like a sluggish mess. They are both flawed series.

- Resistance 2 co-op was the best co-op mode i have ever played (and they ditched that in Resistance 3, what a brilliant fucking idea).

- Horizon is heaps and leagues better game than all of the Killzones combined, wich is a good sign for Guerilla.

Did R3 give Chimera AI again? They were about as good as console shooter AI gets in the first game and absolutely mindless in R2.

Havent played Resistance since Im not a fan of the 1950s ayylien aesthetic. I did play all the KZ games excluding liberation and right now I would rate them as:

KZ2=KZM >> KZ3 >>>>> KZ1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> KZShitfall

I have a Platinum in Resistance 2.

idk I've seen some on here say Helghast are generic looking. I always loved the look.

I'd rather play the worst Halo than the best Killzone/Resistance.

The aiming was so weird with the controller in that game. Could never get into it because of this reason.

Resistance 3 was decent and the original had its moments

Killzone was always boring as fuck and only sony bronies defended it since they desperately wanted a Halo tier exclusive

Oh god no way. 343 has ruined that franchise so badly. Killzone 2 is absolutely phenomenal and I don't really have much complaints on it.

I'd love to see a remaster in 60fps with all the multiplayer maps, the same custom games lobby they had for the original (aka not matchmaking shit) and an option to bypass the progression system and play with everything right out of the box.

Damn man. I loved killzone and it was some quality shit. The environments graphics and style were all nice.

But resistance had such a good campaign and the online multiplayer pvp and co-op is still some of the best gaming I have played.

Kinda wonder why they diddnt finish resistance off. Would look pretty nice on a ps4 pro. or PC.