Someone at nintendo actually though its a great design

>Someone at nintendo actually though its a great design

>and you don't

How are you even supposed to hold tat thing?

It didn't need the D Pad at all. Pretty much every N64 game exclusively used the Joystick and that was the only comfortable way to hold it.

You just have slice off the left 40% of the controller and it would be a good design, even if it doesn't conform to modern pad standards.

One of the few times were the third party controllers were superior.

you hold whichever 2 of the 3 prongs are most comfortable for the game you're playing

>Mad Catz is dead

It is

There are 3 grips, if we call them L for left, C for Center and R for Right.

LR - Classic SNES/Megadrive style, 6 button controller with shoulders and dpad.

CR - 3D mode, stick for movement, 6 action buttons and 2 trigger for 3D adventuring like Mario or Banjo.

LC - 3D mode B, Movement D-pad and stick for aiming the camera, provides 2 shoulders which isn't great in terms of buttons but they were still learning.

They didn't expect games to get complicated enough to need as many buttons as we expect now so quickly.

>3D becomes dominant
>Use middle prong
>2D becomes dominant
>Use left prong

Meanwhile in Sonyland they haphazardly tacked on some control sticks, and twenty years later they're still stuck with it.

Only if the game required the + pad or L which like 2 games actually did.

As long as you're not planning to use dpad. Ever

The N64 had only two games that ever used the D-pad for movement, and they're similarly the best games in terms of controller comfort. I'm playing a fuckton of N64 games again using my 360 controller, and it's crazy how most of them are trivialized when you give them a proper controller, playing Mario 64 for the first time since high school almost felt like cheating

It is.

You're just a child who doesn't understand these things that's all.

underage pls

It's not as wide as it looks, you can easily tap the d-pad with your thumb from either hand.

Kirby and the Crystal Shards used the D pad

>game uses d pad for movement

You could always get a Gamecube joystick

It's a good controller if you aren't mentally challenged.

Only real issue is the stick has poor durability, but when the sticks works it's fantastic. One of the most accurate sticks ever put onto a controller.

For me, SM64 is one of the few games I feel is actually far better with an N64 controller, because the movement is really designed with an octagonal gate in mind.

In the same way MMX feels like shit on modern controllers that have a perfect square layout for buttons instead of the SNES' slightly squashed diamond. So you're basically forced to switch to L1/R1 being dash.

>So you're basically forced to switch to L1/R1 being dash
I'd hardly call this a bad thing, because when I played MMZ for the very first time, I realized how superior shoulder buttons were for dashing, no matter what the controller was, and I always map R1 to dash whenever I replay the X games

A 3D controller for a 3D world.

>Someone at nintendo actually though its a great design

>tfw having a ring of plastic dust permanently around the analog stick base from spinning gay bowser so much