Reminder that voice actors need to be payed more money than developers for the hour or so of work they put into a video...

Reminder that voice actors need to be payed more money than developers for the hour or so of work they put into a video game.

thevocalrange.com/2017/03/17/video-game-voice-actors-strike-still-going/

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20170415222837/http://thevocalrange.com/2017/03/17/video-game-voice-actors-strike-still-going/
youtu.be/b27iLcoPHTg?t=2m11s
polygon.com/2016/12/1/13814948/nolan-north-performance-matters-voice-actor-strike
youtube.com/watch?v=1kQ_r4QmgWI
youtube.com/watch?v=Bz_3WHxwFNs
youtube.com/watch?v=8VvS5MLnG0Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

is this meme still going?

>voice acting
>mattering

>payed

The "blog tries to generate page views" meme?
Yea
web.archive.org/web/20170415222837/http://thevocalrange.com/2017/03/17/video-game-voice-actors-strike-still-going/

Gumi and Rin are cute!!

Three shekles have been deposited into your Origin account

This shit is STILL going on? I thought that ended like 3 years ago. What the literal fuck is going on with humanity? I actually understand why people want to nuke the entire planet.

Negotiations broke down 3 years ago, leading to a strike.

>Nolan North wins award at one of the biggest industry events
>Calls them all out

youtu.be/b27iLcoPHTg?t=2m11s

What a great guy.

My mom unironically thinks the same thing. Why do these greedy retards not even realize that the people who MAKE the games don't get paid royalties?

I hope every video game starts using no-name actors and pays them peanuts, or has no English audio at all. Nothing but fucking cancer.

What do they generally make per game? Who is the highest paid?

the same faggot posts this shit every time

nobody cares about a bunch of divas who are so utterly deluded into thinking they're movie stars.

I should definitely become a voice actor. How do I start?

Related, why does Fallout NV only have like 12 voice actors? The rest of the game is great, but I'm not a fan of hearing the same burly negro or not-cass like 12 times trying to get in and out of Camp McCarran

Steve Blum makes about $800 a session.

$800 for about 4 hours, then there's the all different projects such as cartoons.

Wrong. He was trying to also bring awareness to developers so people like you would stop thinking its an us or them thing.

polygon.com/2016/12/1/13814948/nolan-north-performance-matters-voice-actor-strike

*leans into mic*
WRONG

>Why do these greedy retards not even realize that the people who MAKE the games don't get paid royalties?

Because they're too cucked to ask for any

it doesn't matter because voicework contributes very little to video games. nobody plays a video game specifically because someone is in it. these people are so massively egotistical they think they actually sell call of duty games because of their voice work not because its fun to shoot your friends or play through the 90 minute campaign. and here's the kicker: they want residuals for it.

Even worse, the character that is Veronica exists

after playing mass effect the quality of voice acting sure went fucking down.

id wager they spent most of va budget on wayne newton

>implying actor unions are not the ultimate jews who cockblock new actors from getting in the industry if they refuse to play ball
get fucked (((user)))

Base union rate is I think $840 a session for video games. A session can last up to 4 hours.

fun fact: Obsidian didn't get any bonus pay for that games because of one metacritic score. But hey, big companies like Bethesda deserve that money more, right?

Studios should go the route of From Software and just hire English playwrights to do the voice acting instead of these entitled cunts that do the same 5 or 6 basic voices in every piece of media they appear.

yeah its not liek they're hasnt been an influx of new talent over the last decade. Literally every character has been Troy Baker, no exceptions.

Voice actors absolutely deserve more anyone against this is a contrarian faggot just trying to be edgy.

Especially when the line between voice actor and mocap actor become blurred more and more

t. steve blum

t. david hayter

i more often than not have sounds turned off entirely, music included.

t. pajeet

samefag

Naw dude, it's 1 actor doing 12 voices

Yeah, music composers are also a bit too entitled for me. They should have their pay slashed, if anything.

Also I skip cut scene so animators should all kill themselves while we're at it.

>voice actors unonise and start a strike for better pay and working environment
>hurr durr what about the developers?!
why won't the devs unonise and start a strike to stop the practice of crunch time? can someone explain?

>nobody even noticed they were still striking

is it wrong to go to your job, do your job, get paid, and then go home?

videogames will continue without these hacks.

That has nothing to do with it. Should a construction crew get royalties for every person that moves into an apartment they built?

Damn that's a pretty retarded way of thinking. I just don't give a shit and think they're whiny.

t. tara strong

>payed

Because video games is the easiest thing to get hired in.
>begin strike
>get fired
>your position is refilled in microseconds

Whats really funny about all of this is that the major voice actors who actually do good work avoid the guild.

Meanwhile all of the same voice using assholes are attempting to get royalties off of 3 days of recording.

>our throats hurt and we cough up blood from shouting, gib me money
>So what if its unfair to programmers/art designers and everyone else, we are the voice talent we make the game

>39 posts/ 21 ip's
>most of them are negative towards the strike
sure is a lot of paid publisher shills in here.

You posted a screencap from a thread almost a year old

What are you trying to prove?

They are retarded. I read a lot of them have a "do it for the passion bro" mentality, look up a reddit post by a LOL team member, it was fucking retarded and said how people should work in the company for passion instead of money. Its really on them if they get fucked and replaced by cheaper third world coders.

>Because video games is the easiest thing to get hired in.
LOL. you must be retarded.

And that's what happens when your profession isn't organized at all and you make super companies like EA billions of dollars.

That is not a good thing.

>Whats really funny about all of this is that the major voice actors who actually do good work avoid the guild.

[CITATION NEEDED]

Also voice actors arent saying they are more important or better than devs. They're just the first to ask for better.

Fucking La Parka's the best.

>nobody plays a video game specifically because someone is in it.
Yeah thats probably gonna change as mocap becomes more popular and easier to use. I kind of do it already, i follow directors and buy tehir games. Not the same as actors but i could see people buying a game because a certain actor is in it.

First off, thats a poor analogy.

Second, it absolutely has everything to do with it. Actors have a union and the means to demand better. Developers dont and are too scared to try. Thats it.

Troy Baker and Nolan north are not part of the actors guild

>First to ask for better
Thats not even close to the truth, they are basically asking for unrealistic goals that cut heavily into a budget. The only people who have that kind of negotiating power are known voice actors and real actors.

This entire strike is just for the voice actors guild to get favorable treatment in the industry versus people who dont want to join the stupid guild.

>la parka is still wrestling in mexico
how is that possible

>>Whats really funny about all of this is that the major voice actors who actually do good work avoid the guild.
>[CITATION NEEDED]

see: every videogame that has come out since they started striking.
the quality has not changed (though you could argue it's probably gone up since these hacks willingly opted out of the "talent" pool).

Your career can't die if you're already a skeleton.

>be born with a good voice, fitting for actual voicework/getting paid
>getting paid not so bad, although you did nothing but being born with it (stfu about training, u got it or u dont)
>getting somewhat fame depending on who and what you are lending the voice
>still being assmad about it, demand moar monehhy!!1

what the actual fuck. fuck them.

>Troy Baker and Nolan north are not part of the actors guild

Uhhh, no. They are. You are factually wrong. If you are in union projects, you HAVE to be in the union. This is very easy to look up on their web sites and their credits.

You have zero idea how the industry works.

>they are basically asking for unrealistic goals that cut heavily into a budget.

Everything they're asking for would be a bonus post sales. It would not affect the budget or take money out of the pocket of devs.

>there's a possiblity shitty voice acting won't be in video games in the future

>see: every videogame that has come out since they started striking.

First off the strike is not indsutry wide, only with 11 big publishers. Nintendo, for example, is not affected, so saying something like Breath of the Wild got around the strike just show how retarded you are. Union actors can still find work, just not with games NOW being made by EA, Activision, etc

Second, in case you didn't know, video games take a long time to develop. Many games being released now we're still being made before the strike even happened.

Actually research things before you criticize them, kid.

I don't have any interest in sex with an old mexican man but I'll take your word for it.

whoever the shill is you're doing a very bad job in trying to get the general public to give a shit about voice acting.

>record hours of dialog for the main charatcer a game
>the producer cuts your dialog and only 22 minutes of your voice make it into the game
youtube.com/watch?v=1kQ_r4QmgWI

>the general public
>Sup Forums

All the good voices are striking meaning we get literally who Anime voices

How come there are so many recognizeable voice (and I mean that in a bad way) these days?

If you pull three games off the shelf in three different genres, you'll find at least two of the same voice actors in major roles across both.

Yet if you look back to like, 2002, there's a much larger spread of voices.

These talentless fucks don't deserve to get paid at all. You could find better amateur talent on youtube.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bz_3WHxwFNs

>If you pull three games off the shelf in three different genres, you'll find at least two of the same voice actors in major roles across both.
>Yet if you look back to like, 2002, there's a much larger spread of voices.

I would like to see you give examples.

>Zelda's English voice

>Japanese Zelda sounds insane
>English Zelda sounds retarded

why

what is the reason

My understanding is the industry works in the following way.
>Big game project comes along
>Gotta hire a bunch of wage monkeys
>Big project complete
>YOU ARE ALL FIRED
There is constant braindrain in the industry so those who actually make the games are just happy to have a job. They aren't going to want to jeopardize their employment by creating ripples when their occupation doesn't have job security. I have also heard you can be immediately blackballed if you worked on one bad project even if you weren't a higher up in any sort of decision making position.

Japanese voice directors directing English speakers.

Same reason the original Resident Evil is fucked

>voice actors need to be payed more money than developers

And may they strike on, these are videogames, not movies.

Laura Bailey has been in Street Fighter as Chun-Li, the overmarketed villain cunt from Uncharted 5, Gears of War 4, all within a year.

Yuri Lowenthal in Fire Emblem Heroes as a fuckton of people, a fuckton of people in Mass Effect Andromeda, and as the lead in mighty number 9, which in itself reeks of stunt casting since either he works for dirt or that grassroots game that didn't need voice acting went for the top shelf.

In 2002, Grand Theft Auto Vice City had a bunch of stunt casts in the form of celebrities, but then you have Jedi Outcast, Warcraft III (which didn't even have many returning VAs for World of Warcraft), and Timesplitters 2 don't have a single VA between them, unless I didn't see an errant Steve Blum in Timesplitters 2.

it isn't just a matter of having a "good voice." they're actors and so they have to train to compete with other actors. i'm aware there are plenty of voice actors who sort of fell into the job, but that's true of all areas of entertainment.

they definitely don't contribute to a lot of games. it isn't like an animated show or movie where the voice acting is half the product. i prefer games that don't even have it except maybe for cut scenes. if there's voice acting with text i always finish reading while they're still speaking and skip to the next block of dialogue anyway

Why not just get the developers to do it themselves? Isn't that what they used to do decades ago? Or am I wrong and they always got real va's?

depends on the project.

Many people learn to voice act on their own out of necessity. Animators, for example.

I can't wait until computers can perfectly imitate a human voice so these faggots starve

I know Looking Glass devs would do voices for at least some of the characters in their games.

bait

Iam paying to play a videogame
not hear some faggot say a few lines I can read my self

Right after they make sex bots, am I right? MGTOW!

this is what happens when people buy shitty movie games, these divas think they're actual actors and it all goes to their heads. how much you wanna bet these people will start petitioning ampas for best actor/actress in a video game awards?

You mean like what's going to happen to literally every job in the next twenty years?

>shitty movie games

like?

I think you mean they BOTH need to be paid more.

>pay voice actors more than literal slave wage
>get garbage like Mass Effect: Andromeda
Really privatizes my neural police force.

Ryse, son of rome, Order 1886

They need to be paid more per hour because they get less hours so in order to make a decent wage they kinda get fucked over.

That said, less games need VA than they're putting it in.

Yeah, I hate when voice actors fuck up the facial animations and write shitty dialog.

>japs
>have to take a school for VA
>even after it only a small percent of them can sustain themselves from VA
>the rest have to take second job
>amerifats VAs
>some dirty bum from street, a friend of animator, some SJW equality
>jews and faggots
>still complaining

As always.

youtube.com/watch?v=8VvS5MLnG0Y

Pretty much the only english VA i would pay to. The rest are talentless hacks.

Your tax dollars at work

This shit happens so often it´s probably going to replace "paid" in few years.

I think he means the voice acting since it's pretty fucking bad.

The voice acting in Andromeda was the least of that game's many issues

I think Frognation does great work. they're the best English VAs I can think of.

Yeah, I'm real excited for VA's to unionize so we can get more SUCK-A-MUH-TOE and reprisal when a developer chooses to hire Stage Actors instead of their cuck writer's little sister who's best friends with the Union Boss.

I can't fucking imagine why VA's with enough talent to command actual pay aren't bending over the table for a bunch of failed youtuber's.

Is still bad.

Didn't they got all their demands except the royalties accepted like 3 months ago?

Reminder that your hourly wage is almost solely dependent on the market size. Getting a good voice actor is much, much, MUCH harder than getting a developer - they're worth a dime a dozen.

If your developer doesn't like the piss-poor wages and slave-like labor conditions, you can just fire him and hire a different one. They're literally begging to join your company, after all. Look at any university CS student; everybody just wants to make GAMES GAMES GAMES. They think it's the dream job.

But try hiring a good voice actor who won't make a mockery of your characters.