Let's discuss something like gentleman Sup Forums. I've been thinking about this for a long time

Let's discuss something like gentleman Sup Forums. I've been thinking about this for a long time.
How do you feel about Doom being 'scary'? By that I mean how Doom 64 and Doom 3 approached it like a full horror game.
While Doom always had spooky elements I always felt it was closer to Army of Darkness or a Slayer album than what you could call a scary game. The minute e1m1 starts playing and when you see Doomguy's grin when picking up a new gun always just seemed like it wasn't mean to be that scary. I always just felt like Doom meant for you to feel badass and not scared.The new game also went for that over the top action direction as well.
Doom 64 was undoubtedly a good game but was the full-on horror atmosphere appropriate? And meanwhile when Doom 3 went for a full horror game direction people fuckin hated it. What's your view Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw
youtube.com/watch?v=hzPpWInAiOg
youtube.com/watch?v=j05hzwQf8pA
youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw
youtube.com/watch?v=bYVX6b9svuE
youtube.com/watch?v=rLvSD5HuIcE
youtube.com/watch?v=57_RgGwBV7Y
youtube.com/watch?v=jB_RvCHIYZE
youtube.com/watch?v=figiPE6WGAM
youtube.com/watch?v=1IE1NmyrbWA
youtube.com/watch?v=rBbIil2HPSU
youtu.be/YUU7_BthBWM?t=1347
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It really isn't.

64 was outsourced and 3 was them trying to show off idtech and ape the more popular corridor shooters of the time.

I like them all.

The fucking microsecond e1m1 hits your ears and enters you fucking bloodstream is meant to inspire you to blast the shit out of demons, everything you need to know about Doom is in that song. You are not a scared survivor trying to survive, you are diving head first into the fray with just a pistol and your fucking fists.
MotherFUCKER.

At best you get alarmed by the horde of demons that you literally just got yourself head-to-head into, or when you open a door and there's 15 imps waiting for you, but other times the game can be unsettling, like when you're playing through House of Pain, having a good time, and then you get to the room where it's full of horribly tortured people and mangled corpses at the other side of the window.

Doom II is more scary because first time playing you probably won't see a wall full of enemies suddenly open up in front of you while you have 25% health

believe or not, OG Doom did scare people back in the days. Hell, even Wolf3D spooked the shit out of players. The 3D view was brand new, truly NEXT GEN, and created immersion like no tomorrow, so even those pixelated 256-color cartoon nazis could scare players in the 90-degree mazes. Doom took this few steps further with dark or flashing light spaces, monster closets, and fucking hell's fields made out of guts and skulls. Yes, Evil Dead and all that jazz were big sources of inspiration, but so was Aliens. There was this fancy balance of tension and badass action, but unlike nuDuum kids seem to think, just about every encounter in originals was dozed with a feeling of some despair and doom. That's to say, you could be a fancy badass if you mastered the game, but you weren't rushing towards demon packs.

What comes to D64.... I did dig the more atmospheric feel and style quite a bit. It did make me feel uneasy quite often, and I do prefer its dark and disturbing style way more than the literal cantseeshitcaptain Doom3.

Which one?
Doom
youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw
DooT
youtube.com/watch?v=hzPpWInAiOg
DOOM
youtube.com/watch?v=j05hzwQf8pA

The base game for doom is mediocre, and if not for the huge mod scene, it wouldn't be played today.

You are completely wrong.
That's all I have to say.

Doom or DooT
Definitely not that abomination DOOm (2016)

Original. Always, every day, all day long.

The way I see it, it's maybe scary for a first playthrough but once you get used to all the enemies and know how they work, it's not scary unless you find yourself low on HP.

Although I have to admit, being faced with a Cyberdemon or Spider Mastermind in any scenario is at least stressful (even in a map like The Crusher, it's not much of a threat but just knowing it's there kind of weighs on my mind until it's gone). Just knowing how durable they are combined with how fast they can fuck you up if they get the chance to. I guess it's not much different than the feeling of facing any sort of high-class enemy in a video game, though. Not sure if that'd count as "scary".

There are obviously tense moments but nothing I'd consider 'spooky' or scary in a horror sense like Doom 3 attempted.

That part was horrifying. Scariest in any game.

Seeing Doom 16 attempt at melodies instead of random nonsensical loud noise is jarring as fuck

dude, spoiler that shit

I personally love the aesthetic of Doom 64, and unlike Doom 3 it actually backed up the creepy atmosphere with gameplay that kept you on your toes instead of "woooo deemon jumps out of closet who could have predicted such tragedy xD".

Yeah, it tries to play like old heavy metal.
youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw

The one that isn't all toilet sounds

they only time I felt a little spooked with doom was when playing brutal doom. one of the later levels has you walking through this long narrow corridor with walls made of flesh, eyes, organs, etc. and the entire time there is a voice screaming in pain saying stuff like "dear god please help me dont leave me like this god where are you?! it hurts so much" and the voice whimpers and cries. I was playing at night and it freaked me out. I felt pity but also motivation to end his suffering by shooting whatever had caused so much anguish

The thing about how most 'scary' games tend to be is that they leave you feeling helpless. Take a flashlight, it runs out of batteries maybe, avoid monster, you want a gun fuck you.
Doom's not really all that much of a scary game, at least not in that way. Not most of the time, at least.

That's something Romero commented on in that one hour or so video where he plays through Doom with some journo guy. It was supposed to be partially scary. In its time, it was scary. Specifically, he's talking about it when they're playing that part in Toxin Refinery where you pick up a keycard and lights go out.

Not really. The original had some creepy segments when the lights would flicker, but in general horror+the adrenaline of a shooter=thrilling more than scary

Idc what you all say, whenever a door slams shut on me and I see an archvile, I shit my pants.

Doom 64 is the perfect blend if action and horror, best experience while doing pistol starts for all levels.

Probably helps that Sign of Evil is a pretty atmospheric track: youtube.com/watch?v=bYVX6b9svuE

Yeah I can understand that, but I really wouldn't say the overarching atmosphere of the game was to be scary, it seems like to me 64 and D3 just took it way too far and made it the whole theme of the game. I'm not even knocking 64 in that regard because in my opinion it was a sufficiently creepy game.

I remember not being able to play the game when I was a kid because it scared me so much. I just memorized the secret doors and level layout and helped my mother who played Episode 1 in Ultra Violence everyday.

Wrong version though

youtube.com/watch?v=rLvSD5HuIcE

My favorite is the SNES version, even though they removed the corpses in the pillars

youtube.com/watch?v=57_RgGwBV7Y

My friend is legit scared by Doom, I don't know how long it's been since he played it but he just won't play Zandronum with me

In H DOOM my dick was scared and confused at the same time. i wanted to fap but it was like a frightening fap.

But they're just typical monster girls - anime girls with differently coloured skin and maybe some horns. Now a truly monstrous H-Doom, perhaps with male demons, also, that would be truly scarousing.

I was scared shitless as a kid but not by DOOM it was from Super Noah's ark 3D which was using DOOMs game engine/code by game company wisdom tree. wisdom tree came out for a few years and shit out some bible game turds on the genesis and SuperNES and then went back to the depths that it came from.

I played DOOM legit for the first time last summer. There are parts where you get surprised or shocked but id hardly call it fear. I still like those parts.

If you like fun and video games but can't enjoy DOOM then you just dont like fun and video games.

>not the 3DO version
youtube.com/watch?v=jB_RvCHIYZE

I've never played DOOM ever and i know it's available in pretty much everything. Where should i play it?

Oh man, can't wait to play the version of Doom that runs worse than the SNES version.

Goddamn that music though, I don't think id even expected them to go the extra mile and redo the entire soundtrack.

Someone post the infographic stat

On the PC, dummy.

Get ZDoom and knock yourself out

I appreciate 64's attempt at a more horror-focused atmosphere. While Doom as a series will also be about kick ass music to slay demons to to me, I'm open to more variety; if it's done well, that is, since Doom 3 failed at everything 64 did right: Doom gameplay + a terrifying atmosphere.

youtube.com/watch?v=figiPE6WGAM
youtube.com/watch?v=1IE1NmyrbWA

Here's the developer talking about it. She had like ten weeks to make a port and the contractor was a complete idiot who had no idea how games worked. Somehow, he made the best thing about the port, too, as he recorded the music with his band.
youtube.com/watch?v=rBbIil2HPSU

Oh wow, I actually have it

>Super Noah's ark 3D which was using DOOMs game engine/code
No, it wasn't. Just Wolfenstein 3D's engine.

PC you dummy fuck.
And don't get some shitty, censored re-re-release like the one that comes with the equally shitty Doom3 BFG Edition. Just look up the original Doom Collection (1, 2, Final) somewhere, and use their .WAD files on some modern-ish source port to get 'em running on modern PCs smoothly, with bit more options as a bonus.

I'd recommend the ChocolateDoom port for very vanilla-like experience, no bells nor whistles. Alternatively check out ZDoom (no, not GZDoom, though it's related to it), but prepare to go through some options to make it perfect.

Right
Although i want to know what's the difference between all this OG Doom versions, is vanilla doom not good enough or something?

Isn't ZDoom no longer updated?

>is vanilla doom not good enough or something?
Do you want to play it through dosbox on a 4:3 resolution for ants and much less options?

I knew the story but I didn't know about the video

Fucking cool

Now I need the SNES Doom guy to come on camera and talk about how he pulled that shit off because out of all the console ports, SNES Doom still baffles me by how impressive it is

vanilla Doom IS good, and that's what people ARE advising you to play.

However, we are talking about early 1990s MS DOS game. Running those on modern 32 / 64-bit GUI Windows systems is quite literally impossible.

This is where the SOURCE-PORTS come from. Think them as ""emulators"", that take the game's code and files, and make them work on new machines, often giving options and minor enhancements while at it.
The alternative option would be using DosBox, but you know how that is... dont you?

Why not GZDoom? It works perfectly fine and is still being updated.

ZDoom has been discontinued, there's GZDoom and QZDoom, now. There are plans to combine them, so you can have both software renderer and OpenGL in one source port.

What do you guys think of Brutal Doom 64?
I didn't even know it existed. In fact I never was able to finish regular Brutal Doom because at the end of Doom 2 where you're fighting in the city the Revenants glitched and became invincible.

>Why not GZDoom?
You need to spend like quarter hour in the Options menus to make it look and play anything like vanilla (disable the godawful filters, enable scaling font, disable jumping / crouching / vertical aiming, default map colors...).

Yes, it's the go-to choice for big, modern mods, because it ditches so many old engine limitations. But for vanilla DooM experience? It's far from optimal choice.

tl;dr: just because some options are old and "not continued" does not make them obsolete.

I hated the whole idea when it was revealed ages ago, and I still ain't a fan of the idea. The whole "Brutal" meme in general is quite annoying, and clearly one reason for D44M's downfall.

>closer to Army of Darkness or a Slayer album
You got it.

read Masters of Doom

I have DOOM 2016 for PC Downloaded it last week and got all the DLC1-5. and i have a GTX 1080TI being shipped to me right now and i'll get it tommorow.. that's if my dad isn't there and figures out i ordered a GPU and then gets angry and cucks me for playing video games.

To clarify, ZDOOM or GZDOOM or Zandronum are all different ways to emulate the original, vanilla Doom on PC. Any of them will work with the original DOOM/DOOM II "wads," which are the file type that stores the original games.

If you do a little reading you will figure out how to set everything up fairly easily.

Spectres still spook me from time to time

Here's the part I was talking about the Toxin Refinery blue key trap: youtu.be/YUU7_BthBWM?t=1347

>disable jumping / crouching / vertical aiming
Isn't that off by default? It was for me at least.

I've never played a pc game this old m8, hell i only got my toaster barely a couple years ago.
I guess i'll do a coin flip to decide between chocolate or zdoom them.

download the wads from the vr general and play than in prboom+
a lot of other sourceports have extra features than can mess with vanilla like freelook and jumping

It's more suspenseful and ominous than traditionally scary.
Monsters can pose a threat at any time, especially in more abstract levels. Resources are limited and layouts can be pretty complex.
It helps balance out the more chaotic points of the game and it ultimately came as a consequence of the gameplay design.

Doom 64 exaggerated this well with its darker, more complex levels and ambient music.

Doom 3 was more deliberate horror, monsters would be set up to jump out at you quickly and scare you.

Doom 4 threw the tension out of the window and focused on the power fantasy side.
The basic zombies were there just to be killed; meanwhile a classic zombieman can pick off your health from a mile away if you stay still

Is fear simply anderenaline? What diffentiates jump scares from monster closets?

just do chocolate first time mate

freelook barely matters, it doesn't break the game like jumping.

also you should download a launcher like zdl
and if you want turn on the secret notification thing in prboom+ under advanced hud settings

K then
Thanks kind anons, i'll see you all in hell

it matters because some enemies you're not meant to kill until you get to a certain point but can still attack you because they're out of your auto aim and way above you
freelook lets you kill them
also zdoom ports dont have infinitely tall enemies which nerfs cacos really hard

Central Processing is a fucking awful level.

I don't hate it as much because Episode 2 has even worse levels like Spawning Vats

Ironically the SNES version couldn't do the bigger levels so they cut them all out, which is why I like that port more than any person has the right to

>Be four years old when Doom releases.
>Never thought twice about any of the demons or all the violent hell imagery.
>Meanwhile Commander Keen enemies terrified the shit out of me.

Kid me was weird.

zdoom ports dont have infinitely tall enemies by default*
you can change that in comparability settings

Spectres in the dark used to be the scariest thing ever for me

wasn't for me.

Go Chocolate first, mate. It's as "vanilla" as you can get. Check the options and manual first though, things were VERY different in 1993.

remember to start with Ultra Violence, or bust.

I must be the only person who thinks that episode 2 was the best.
It wasn't as refined as e1 but I found the more abstract and less linear levels far more enjoyable, with areas that were totally optional and more threatening traps. I also liked the music more

I'll never forget the first time I played e2m6, creeping around the dark cramped wooden area with unseen doors opening to release lost souls, spectres and barons, or when fell for the fake exit and got shot to shit by a bunch of shotgun zombies.

Episode 3 had some dogshit level design though.

Even though I hate Episode 2 I love some of the levels, like Deimos Anomally, Refinery, but my favorite levels is Halls of the Damned. I actually like Episode 3 because it's more linear, other than Limbo and Unholy Cathedral, those are the only levels where you can get lost.

>mfw the enhanced vision goggles run out and you still didn't find the red card key and there's a hundred Pinkies after you and a bunch of walls open up and a bunch of Imps see you