I have a friend who claims randomly generated levels can be as god as hand crafted ones

I have a friend who claims randomly generated levels can be as god as hand crafted ones.
He is also a huge rouge like and dorf fortress nerd.

Do you agree?

>can be
Obviously they can, they are randomly generated. You can get literally anything. That doesn't mean they will be better most of the time.

If its a 40+ hour game chances of all of the maps being realy good is low.

>40+ hour game
Grindy garbage is going to be shit every time.

your friend is retarded, tell him to kill himself

Depends on the game.
A typical roguelike is based around having multiple playthroughs, so having a limited amount of set levels would be a detriment to gameplay eventually as you learned all the levels, and would take away part of the challenge of exploring and investigating which is a key part of roguelikes.

>I have a friend who is a retard

gtret thred opp
kys

Can? Sure. Likely? No.

It depends on the game. Randomly generated maps works well in some genres, like roguelikes, and not others. If you had a platformer where levels were randomly generated, you'd either get garbage maps or you'd get samey boring shit where the game just rearranges the same setpieces over and over.

Obviously not,static maps/levels are handmade,generated stuff is created 99% of the time by poorly programmed scripts.

Depends on the game
Generally, no

Depends on who is hand crafting your maps.
We all know "See that mountain? You can climb it" doesn't make a map inherently better than a computer generated map

what's that sauce senpai

XCOM: EW's handcrafted maps are way better than XCOM 2's random generated ones. But 2's got a good system that's easily moddable that does add for a lot of variety and makes good for replayability. You play enough EW and you'll eventually know where the alien pods are and such.
If you don't plan on replaying it then handcrafted maps win hands down.

This

Depends on the game.

Shoehorning them into Bloodborne for example in the form of chalice dungeons was a mistake.

It's almost unanimously agreed upon that the chalice dungeons were boring and repetitive compared to the main game.

It's absolutely impossible. The best generator will always lose against a normal level designer.

Post moar colossi.

No. Practically speaking, as human beings we are very quick to notice patterns and it will not take more than a few levels to notice the similarities between the different randomly generated maps and the severe limitations they have compared to the uniqueness of a series of hand crafted levels will be obvious.

Play a Persona game if you want to prove him wrong

Sourrrce

Please.

there are cases where this works wonderfully

Terraria, Minecraft, and every sandboxing game make this works, partially, it feels kinda raw and unpolished

Diablo 2, Path of Exile and other ARPGs this works at some extend, just enough to stay out of stagnation. these kind of game use a more hybrid way of room combination and random generated placement

Dungeon Crawl Stonesoup
now this game is one that takes things further
the the random algorithms and pre-designed room combination of rooms in this game is the best way construct random levels, you will never play the same room twice it's incredible

other than that, you need to place this kind of mechanic, in games with high replay value, otherwise it's more likely that you will fuck up

Hand-crafted levels can obviously have more intricate designs and more hidden stuff in them, but randomly generated levels can be endless source of fun.

So your friend is both right and wrong.

>He is also a huge rouge like and dorf fortress nerd.
Yeah obviously it work with these genres but not all.

There is such a thing as just outright long games that have no grinding in them.

Not gonna lie, I'd have bought the game if it had featured a monster girl instead of a fucking oversized dog.

Who would have expected that? That's just the main reason to buy every anime game.

The game was not bad but the sub 20 FPS most of the time on the regular ps4 killed it for me.
I am gonna wait till PS pro becomes cheaper or till it gets a PS5 remaster.