How do I get good at fighting games?

How do I get good at fighting games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lEIAy7kAeWE
shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/learn-how-to-play-fighting-games-with-our-free-beginners-guide-ebook/
youtube.com/watch?v=iAJKhxKIsmk
youtu.be/r75Lz1Drp8g
youtube.com/watch?v=LfEVcZ3anG0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Stop playing SFV for starters.

Get Fightcade
Get Super Turbo
Learn fundamentals

>Telling people to play ST

its a cool game, but ST is pretty fucking stupid

>Touch of Death combos
>nigh unwinnable matchups
>random damage
>random stun
>throw damage
>the existence of O.Sagat/Boxer/Claw

there is plenty of shit wrong with ST

Hang out at arcades with black kids and mexicans

There's always someone who's going to tell you your game is shit, so play whatever the fuck you like.

But SFV is good

What are fighting game fundamentals

>learn how to block high/low attacks
>find out what cross-ups are
>learn to block cross-ups
>learn how to anti air jump attacks
>learn how to SPECIAL CANCEL
>learn what are unsafe moves
>don't do unsafe moves
>learn how to what moves are punishable
>learn how to punish unsafe moves
>learn how to SPECIAL CANCEL
etc....

Yeah, there is. But learning ST will carry over in almost every fighter.

Dont listen to this retardo Find a weekly in your area and start going. They'll be overjoyed to have new blood, so they'll show you everything they know without carving your asshole out until you're ready, just like if you were sparring with a friend. As you gradually improve, they'll turn up the heat.

Something you won't learn in Unga Fighter V

just keep playing and have fun, also bring friends over if you have any this year

he means spacing your attacks and using "footsies" by utilizing the range and hitbox of your attacks appropriately

while maintaining ground control and not being susceptible to jump-in attacks by always being ready to anti-air your opponent at a moments notice

100 Hadokens
100 Shoryukens
100 Tatsus

50 Ranked Matches

Every day

Abusing 50/50s. This only goes for SFV.

If anyone actually wants to learn SF that isn't on Fightcade or SF2, then go for USFIV.

This: youtube.com/watch?v=lEIAy7kAeWE

user thats just 8 seconds

how am i gonna get good with 8 seconds of video

>throws fireball to bait jump
>punishes jump with DP
>DP causes knockdown
>goes for a meaty Cross-up on wake-up
>Blocks DP
>punishes with sweep
>walk up jab for a tick-throw

> play smash
We all know it's the best fighter game lads cmon'

Most of everything you'll learn on your own is from watching replays of your matches. See what you did wrong or when you got hit, make a note of it, and see what you can do about it in the training room.

With this knowledge set goals on what you wanna accomplish with your matches. Don't worry about winning as so much as seeing if your stuff works.

And when you play against others locally, don't ask on what you can do to improve, but HOW your opponent keeps beating you.

Good luck, user.

It's the most important 8 seconds of fighting games you could ever study.

Here's what it's meant to go with: shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/learn-how-to-play-fighting-games-with-our-free-beginners-guide-ebook/

This guy gets it. That 9 second clip shows the most common and vital types of scenarios on how to get an advantage over an opponent.

The only thing it doesn't cover would be footsies.

Things that apply to all fighting games.
Footsies
Punishing
Reacting
Reading
Baiting

I think the holy triangle of fighting game skills are: Fundamentals, Execution, and Knowledge.

Execution being self explanatory and Knowledge being understanding of the specific game's mechanics and matchups.

>ultra
>footsies
Oh man I'm really enjoying eating one fireball into 40% with an oki setup
Or getting knocked down once into a Fucked up option select nightmare

Step 1: Pick a better game
USF4
KI:G
TEKKEN 3/5
MK9
SF3
BB:CSE
Any of the GG
If you don't have fun with none of the above fighting games aren't for you.
First step to getting better is honestly enjoying the game

Why is Street Fighter V so bad, all the pro's are playing it

Its getting by largely cause of name alone. Compared to other fighters it just feels like Capcom isn't giving their all because they dont feel the need to (or simply can't). Doesn't help that the current meta seems to reward mix up characters more than the others.

Because it's where the money is at, no other reason.
Low skill ceiling in a genre based entirely on comparing two players' skill 1v1 is fucking retarded.

If that is true, wouldn't tournaments and especially players just stick to SF4 or something

It's really not that bad, and most of the people shitting on it don't even play fighting games. Or if they do they play through arcade mode a few times.

Public views of a fighter is rather important in getting people to play it hence the bad word of mouth that damaged SFV sales. So since Capcom has officially stopped supporting 4 and went to 5, everyone followed cause now it FEELS like no-one plays 4, whether that's true or not. As for the pros, well they gotta keep being sponsored and payed I suppose.

Not if Capcom pumps loads of money into a mechanically simpler game, attracting practically anyone to play it by being considered a "pro" at the game is exponentially easier than any other fighting game.
I played SF5 against a few people at E3 and it just wasn't fun. There's no feeling of reward in casual or competetive play. Less complex than it's predecessor and fewer more homogenized characters means you can't even find a playstyle you identify with at the very least

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA

Want the real answer? Just fucking don't. Fighting games have small communities, you get shit money, and it's a 500 hour uphill slog through shit until you get even somewhat decent at the game, and then you STILL get BTFO by people who have been playing for way longer than you.

Fighting games are literally only good when you're playing with friends who have the exact same knowledge about the game as you. I played Third Strike for MONTHS at the arcade and none of that time spent there was as fun as me fucking around with MVC2 with some friends on my Dreamcast..

What did they even simplify

Lmao. "Don't do anything where you might be exposed to someone better than you" -you.

Time and practice and try and suppress your salt.
Salt will only hold you back and set you back. Also experiment with controllers find what works for you

In 4 everyone had a built in armor mechanic through focus attacks, which could also be cancelled into by using two gauges of ex meter, which you could then dash cancel out of (FADC/Focus Attack Dash Cancel). This was used to either extend combos or make a risky move/gambit safe
Additionally this mechanic could be used to punish or pressure fireball users by absorbing the attack and dashing through it, closing the distance. Additionally each character generally had their own playstyle that was either slightly different or vastly different from others, allowing most people to find a character they enjoyed.

In 5 however, this was removed. Every character got a v-skill/special command move that seemed interesting but other than a few characters (Ibuki mainly) doesn't have an applicable use other than negating fireballs. You can only do an FADC type maneuver once you've filled you v-skill gauge, which is almost exclusively once per round (they also reduced the ex gauge stocks from 4 to 3). This forces exciting combo cancel or safe string scenarios to once per round. The characters on release were also fucking abysmal, nobody really feels different, it's pretty much just pressure safely until you get a hit which you can't even capitalize fully on unless you have full v-skill (once per round again). This was exacerbated by the fact the only characters with different or interesting mechanics (FANG notably) are weak as utter shit, due to them practically removing chip damage.
Rashid is cool though

Seeing this reminds me that each fighter has these but places higher emphasis on certain one.

Wonder what games played now rely heavily on (such as Skulkgirls and your need of being proficient of resets). Maybe listing these will help newcomers choose whats right for them.

>completely dismissing a game and all of its mechanical depth after playing it at E3 once

Learn what moves serve which purpose
Learn your anti air timing
Learn your bread and butters
Learn how to pressure right
Learn your characters basic gameplan
Play a lot.

seems like really advanced stuff, and SFV seems to be going back to basic SF2/SF3 gameplay, it's not that bad especially for a beginner right?

>implying
They had a mini tournament with cabinets and a stage at E3 and I played for about 2-3 collective hours. This wasn't when the game was first revealed either, this was after it had been out and people already knew the general mechanics. I was able to do things I'd seen "pros" do with relative ease and felt no reward for my actions.
How long does it take you to decide if a fighting game is mechanically weaker than another?

more than three fucking hours for sure.
you're so full of shit and so are most Sup Forums posters pretending to know shit about fighting games.

By playing it.

Find a game you enjoy and play it, that's pretty much it. It helps to have a friend around your level.

If there's something you think you can improve you can always watch some matches and videos on youtube.

Too bad most fighters are dead or you need to go out of your way to find people to play them.

I guess but I just feel there's better/more fun fighting games that reward your personal gameplay or style better. Having simplified combos and mechanics just makes it feel like there's no ultimate skill goal to work towards, especially if one doesn't personally enjoy the game like I did and sfv

____(You)

Dont listen to that guy, he is full of shit and is absolutely clueless.
SFV is a good pick, big playerpool now with players from all sorts of skill level. Comes with a proper competitive scene too if you want to get into it.

Could also consider Tekken7 which will come out in two months. That will most likely stay alive for a long time too.

I wish i could be good at fighting games.

I went to a lot of Sup Forums threads and followed every advice, watched videos and matches and tried to improve my game for months but none of it helped, i even tried practicing the exactly same things and matchups for months in third strike but none of that actually helped.

Yesterday i got so butt-blasted for loosing to ridiculous and basic stuff that i deleted my fightcade folder and almost broke my controller.

I just really don't like seeing little to no result at all after so many months. Now i need to sell my collection of fighting games.

Not him, but being the best at your game within your group of friends also kinda sucks.

Its difficult to find and get in with people who are better than you that you can learn from, without abandoning your bros.

Fightcade is actually a terrible recommendation people like to throw around because most of the people playing there have been playing the same game for a decade and more.
You will not be able to get on their level anytime soon and there are next to no new players to spar with.

What you shouldve done though was ask good players to tell you what you were doing wrong. Preferably in a game that actually does have some lower skilled people to play with too, like most modern fighters.

Just mash random buttons, works 95% of the time

I think a good approach is to go full tryhard on the release of a new title. While everyone is figuring it out, get in their on day 1 - make it your main (or only) game, and get balls deep into the community and read a dickload.

Also wakeup super for keks.

figure out how many different styles there are in the game you pick, then learn how to use them all. eventually you will find one you are best at then just master that one with practice

Fightcade has far more and far worse players than you think depending on game, and if everyone here actually went on then they could play and learn with each other very easily. At the end of the day it's free, easy to set up and has countless available games with far better netcode as well as being much easier to ask questions in.

Wakeup super is legit as fuck, and yeah starting with a game when its new is best.

Everybody is shit and new, even veterans dont have a perfect grasp on the matchups and mechanics. Its also the time where most casuals play before they inevitably drop the game.
Its a super environment for learning.

Late adopting also becomes an issue with modern fighters because they patch in characters every few months. Every new character means that you gotta learn a new matchup. Thats fine if you already know the base cast, but when you join a few years later and have to learn 40-50 dudes its too much.

you forgot asians too
the holy triad isn't complete without asians
forget white people though white people can't into fightan games

I don't disagree with what you said but most of the things you said are not an option in my region.

No one plays anything besides Street Fighter and KOF around here and literally every game that ain't these 2 are dead, i know because i have a bunch of fighting games that i acquired since last gen and i haven't found many people from my region, that ones that i do find only play it for a little while and drop it completely within a month.

Fightcade is the only place to find a match at all times and most people there, at least from my region, don't help at all.

Finding people in my skill level is incredibly rare, most of the time, they go there, get shitted on and leave, i even tried helping a dude to learn how to parry for a while one and i never saw him again.

SF and KoF arent bad picks anyways.
I mean, thats what everybody plays on fightcade anyways, SF and KoF.

If you DO want to ride the Fightcade wave joining some discords would probably a better idea than relying on the randoms that sit in FC lobbies. Those tend to be dicks.

Could always play people way better than you until you improve. I usually improve more in sets where I lose 9/10 games than ones where I win most of them.

MvCI will probably be a pretty good game once released no?

MvC3 is really quite simple to learn, but has a fairly high skill ceiling.

I think it should be nice for a casual to get into and maybe even make their first real fighter.
(Read: Im hoping its good and i can maybe make it my first step into not playing exclusively offline)

>tfw the only fighting game I enjoyed is literally in the grave

wtf even is this?

You don't

Wait what?

When did Capcom add Dio as a DLC character for SFV???

Nobody knows how good or MvCI will be, we know next to nothing about it.
It will most likely be active though, which is a plus.

You could also check out local scenes and see what games they're playing.
All currently active fighters (SF, MK, GG, BB, KI, KoF) are often on sale. Many of them go as low as 15$/€.

Talos was the ezmodo of that game, to be fair. And I played him.

Vortexes with 1 button specials are the easiest shit in the universe.

What a stupidly worded sentence.

Rising Thunder, bought out and dissolved by Riot Games
You kidding? Talos took actual work to learn, everyone else has fucking auto combos

You poor your heart & souls into them.

And after you lose enough times you'll be forced to watch your losses and assess WHY you lost.

Get your ass beat by a guy who knows what they're doing.

Try to predict what they're going to do, why they're going to do it, and try to react instinctively rather than through a thought process. Shit takes ages, but you can do it. Probably

>Talos took actual work to learn

>FREE FULL COMBO armored normal
>one button SPD and huge hitbox antiair grab
>really easy to do ambiguous resets
>even limited airdash capability

combos are the least of it

>SF and KoF arent bad picks anyways.
When i said that, i meant compared to most recent games, i have shit like MK Xl, skullgirls, gg xrd but people don't give a damn about them around here.

I also don't like SNK games personally so i avoid them like a plague.

I joined some discords in my region but they only shitpost all day.

>randoms that sit in FC lobbies. Those tend to be dicks.
Yeah, they surely are, yesterday some people had to mute a guy that couldn't stop spamming the chat.

The point was that i wasn't improving, user. I was literally getting destroyed by a remmy doing the exactly same thing over and over again for months, so since nothing i was doing worked and couldn't adapt i got angry and deleted everything. Even if i actually learned how it just shows that i take way too long to learn to deal with simple stuff let alone the more advanced stuff in game. It is way too much work for too little progress for me.

Some people don't know how to learn. You should take a step back and learn how to learn instead of just mindlessly doing shit and waiting for improvement.

this

This.

Sounds like you were repeating the same process expecting different results.

It sounds stupid but its true.
Optimally you'd want someone to guide you through stuff sharing some learning experiences.

Properly approaching learning stuff is actually not easy.

>I was literally getting destroyed by a remmy doing the exactly same thing over and over again for months, so since nothing i was doing worked and couldn't adapt i got angry and deleted everything.

That sounds like a problem with you rather than the game, dog.

What is the best control for fighting games?
Arcade Stick or PS3 Controller?

>Abusing 50/50s. This only goes for SFV.
>learn SF on a game that's meter management and jabbing into Ultras

just press the buttons randomly, "pro" fightan faggots won't know how to react since you're not using official metagame autism combos.

Between those two? Definitely stick.

You forget about all about cool combos and hype moments you watch on the internet. You pick a character and learn solid fundamentals. Solid, boring but completely necessary fundamentals. Then you practice for days.

Depends on what kind of fighting game you're referring to. Each one is different.

>you can forget white people though

>butthurt nig detected

youtube.com/watch?v=iAJKhxKIsmk

White's out-match blacks every fucking time.

uh huh

So, seeing as this thread seems to have some decent people in atm.

Charge characters, I am HORRID using them, I don't understand their playstyle and I suck at their inputs, the latter can be fixed with practice.

But the playstyle - can you combo charge moves into the middle of combos? or do they need to be used at the beginning of a chain specifically due to the delayed input / time spent executing the move?

Say urien in sfv for example, if i hold down, then go up + kick, I get his knee charge thing, can you combo that in the middle of a string of attacks? Due to me being shit and having to hold the down for ages (or not understanding the timing), the time spent charging the attack is time I will get countered, right?

Fuck all play kof here, it is all just hipsters saying they don't play sf

should have had an option to use regular fighting game controls then it would be good...

No then everyone who did so would be at a disadvantage. You could spd with a button press or a motion plus press

The game was nothing special outside that gimmick. Basically a shittier sf4

>instead of just mindlessly doing shit and waiting for improvement.
Not sure on what you consider doing mindless stuff.
If it is pressing buttons or jumping all the time than no, i don't even like jumping most of time.
I Already searched and practiced footsies, learned the normals, watched videos to know about stuff that i had no idea it was even in the game. Most of problems come from situations or pressures that i can't deal with. Which was the case since 2 months ago.

>That sounds like a problem with you rather than the game, dog.
Never said it wasn't, quite sure i was talking about me this entire time since my first post.

Kof 2002 and 98 are the most played games in fightcade.

the newer ones are most likely dead. In my region it died because it is expensive as fuck as shit like SF5 is 3 times cheaper and available on pc.

Play KoF if you want to get good at fighting games. KoF 14 came out semi recently and is an amazing addition to the series

Here's part one of a good guide to the basics: youtu.be/r75Lz1Drp8g

KoF is so much more in depth compared to street fighter, getting good at KoF will get you good at most other fighting games

It's a special move so it can cancel off of normals just like all the others. You just have to have the charge and press up+kick when your normal hits. This applies to stuff like tackle, too. Just remember that downback counts as charging both down and back so you can stand up by holding back and still keep the back charge.

You can charge in the middle of combos.
Easiest charge combos are those out of crouching attacks.
If you hold downback to block you also charge down and back at the same time, so you have access to both moves.
Basically 100% of guiles specials are covered with that.

You can apply the same thing to combos.
I will use Guile as an example because he is the archetypical charge.
You can hold downback in front of a guy and then press crouching medium punch (while holding downback) and then flashkick. The flashkick charge is stored even though you pressed cr. medium punch.

You can do a jumpin with a hardkick, then do a crouching medium punch and then do a flashkick.
The trick here is to start holding downback while you're already in the air. The charge timer already starts then.

This kinda logic applies to all charge combos. You start charging either before or while other moves are currently out.
It requires practice until you get used to the timing, then it starts feeling really natural.

This isn't completely wrong, actually.
Except it only works on some good players who can't adapt under some circumstances. You might get a round on a pro player but they'll read your bullshit sooner than later and punish your randomness.
Still, your post reminded me of this:
youtube.com/watch?v=LfEVcZ3anG0

>The trick here is to start holding downback while you're already in the air. The charge timer already starts then.

This is probably the key thing i'm not getting, its strange learning to pre-input attacks before shit has been executed. Just need to practice and figure timings I guess.

Thanks.

getting good at kof will turn you into a jumpy mess

14 isn't goood though, it is the same few characters with good buttons fishing to do the same max mode combo they always do

Not even that great for new players being and aggressive game with lots of mechanics on top of the basics to learn and requires them to learn multiple characters. Can't even sayit has popular online, 14 was a bomb

>he actually believes this
>mfw he's this fucking retarded

Nigga,Street fighter stopped being good after SF3 games,after that it was all garbage.

>le parries are the best mechanic man

>before SF3 games
ftfy

USF4 is fun.

Even if only for its fucking huge roster, you can definitely find a character you enjoy.

>ywn get to see the divide in her ass