NIOH

How the fuck do I git gud at this game? I can't even get the first boss to 50% hp, why does he have so much hp?
I only get 4 health elixirs which is too low. The boss and Onis can kill me in 1-2 hits.
The game was fun as fuck but then they had to ruin it by introducing the bullshit Onis.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Find more of the little green dudes.
Practice.
Keep your gear up to date.
All else fails grind until you're overleveled.

>Find more of the little green dudes.
Why?

>Keep your gear up to date.
How?

Set a password and I'll play with you

I can't remember if it's for level or the entire area, but finding more/all of them increases the amount of Elixer you naturally carry. So instead of having 4 when you die and come back you can get up to 8, I think before putting points in whatever to carry more.

>how
kill shit, check item drop stats vs what you have and like and if you like the new shit more use it.

Also for the boss, it might be a good idea to double suicide if your guardian spirit isn't at full, when you pick it up in the boat. If you DO need to do that, kill stuff until it's back to full and use the devil trigger thing at a good moment in the fight, whatever that could be for you.

Git gud
Drain his stamina and use living weapon to ass fuck him, use elements and status effects

Evade his attacks and hit him until he dies.

One thing about this game is the bosses always have that one move that makes the fight into a slog. The first oni boss is the spinning ball thing. Once he winds that up, just back away as fast as possible cause the hitboxes are broken as shit

Outside of that, just dodge in low stance and then retaliate with two or three strikes until it dies. Don't get greedy

Sprint to dodge attacks rather than using the actual dodge. Sprinting is the best way to dodge all of his attacks as they have large hitboxes. Don't try to do more than 3 hits unless you stun him. DON'T USE THE SPIRIT WEAPON UNTIL YOU'VE STUNNED HIM TO MAXIMIZE DAMAGE.

Believe it or not, but the first two bosses and that tiger boss are the toughest bosses in the whole game but only when you fight them the first time. William's growth vs that of the fodder and bosses is heavily tilted in William's favor. Nioh is like Morrowind in the sense that YOU WILL BECOME OVERPOWERED THE DEEPER YOU GET INTO THE GAME. Once you beat the Muneshige sidequest and unlock the second region you'll see for yourself how the game's difficulty drops like a rock. That's the point where you'll become overpowered. It's not NG or even Souls hard unless we're talking about 1v2 optional boss fights.

I got up to batbitch, got my shit pushed in harder than I ever did in any Soulsborne game and haven't been back since. I just stopped finding it fun after she would just destroy me about 10 seconds into the fight.

Are you talking about the second boss?

>the first two bosses
Second boss is the paralysis lady, right?

She's not that hard as long as you have the paralysis needles on shortcut and a paralysis charm. Also being decent with a bow is nice cause you can shoot her down when she goes up

I still died in a single combo to her first time cause I got paralysed, but she wasn't as hard as the oni or fucking Nue

Block

The start of the dodge in Nioh has no iframes so you'll just get combo'd over and over if you try to roll away like you would do in a Souls game

Once you replace your instinct to dodge with blocking, the game becomes much, much more manageable

omfg I find the game fun, but the bosses can be so hard that it's just plain boring to fight, I feel like they have way too much health.

Get the paralysis resist stuff from the ninjas skills and the attack down onmyo magic and then it's a long fight of waiting her out and chiseling her down
After her Nue is the only thing that comes remotely close to tough

Playing this game like Souls is the only thing that made it hard for awhile. Once I got over that idea the rest of the game was ez pz. Learn your combo/skills and master the ki pulse and you're good to go. Also don't try to dodge out of combos you'll get ass raped.

They have a lot of health because they're designed around being exploited. Every build should have some access to ninjutsu and onmyo magic, and you can destroy them by stacking buffs, debuffs, and using LW simultaneously.

It's not exactly that
You have, by default, an Elixir carrying capacity of 8, that can be increased to 11 through the Medicine Man skill in the Ninjutsu tree

Now, each time you die, 4 elixirs are restored for free, while the rest are taken out from your reserves. What Kodamas do is give you increasingly more elixirs per amount found (I unfortunately don't remember the exact number per +1 extra elixir), but when you have all the Kodama in a region you get the 8 elixirs for free within that region's missions

It comes quite in handy

I don't know how far I am (I just unlocked the third region), but I'm enjoying this game immensely.

You guys are giving the bosses way too much thinking. Just learn their movements and attack accordingly.

Anyone else hyped for DLC early may? That big sword looks nice, glad they added another big weapon I loved using the axe.

I think the problem isn't the health, it's that every single boss has that one move that makes the fight a chore instead of fun

The first boss has that ball spin with fucked up hitboxes that grinds the fight to a halt, Nue has the lightning strikes, etc

Things get a bit easier later, I recommend investing 10 points into Onmyo later on when you unlock the second lesson, it'l teach you Sloth and that breaks the game

Man, I heard the enemy variety in this game was shit, but I'm really getting tired of fighting the same dudes with pointy sticks and onis all the time.
That and them reusing stages all the time for side missions makes the game so samey. I'm only on the 4th level, but I'm seriously considering never fucking with the side missions from now on.

What weapon are you using, OP?
Are you switching stances?

I quit doing side missions after the fourth region or so. I'm not gonna give the devs any shit due to their budget but man I got tired of seeing the same level I painstakingly explored again in a side mission for some blacksmith/amrita fodder gear.

I quit after not being able to damage the giant blob Yokai.

The game is considerably easier if you farm the revenants for purple gear. You can easily get warrior of the west because it is what everybody wears, or at least when I played.

>How?
Revenants tend to be the easy way to get good-decent gear

Wait, blocking is better than dodging?
I have been exclusively dodging because I assumed it's better.
Also, does the game have parrying mechanic? I vaguely remember the beta had it but the full game doesn't mention anything about it..

>You guys are giving the bosses way too much thinking
It's probably Team Ninja that didn't think too much about the bosses

Take Nue for example. He roars and brings down four lightning bolts that two-shot you. They also create that yokai field, because why not. Also, his roar is already over before the fourth bolt hits, so he's free to attack, so if you get hit after his roar, you'll most likely get hit by the bolt too. If the next attack he uses also brings down a bolt, you'll get hit by two and die.

Every boss has "that one attack" that fucks fights over and it's just unfun to play sometimes

that ball one had me fucking mad, the amount of times I'd thought I dodge just to be hit by the slight fucking hitbox at the end, fuck my life dude, the bat bitch was the worst fight for me and nue was fucking shit as well, I hope the next boss is more fun.

do you mean the tutorial boss or the first boss once you get to Japan?

One of the better lessons I've learned is that blocking is VERY viable. It might not seem like it if you are coming from soulsborne background, but give it a try.

Blocking is really only better than dodging if you've been hit by the first part of a combo and are about to be stunlocked IMO. And there are skills to parry but you have to invest points into them.

>Wait, blocking is better than dodging?
Dodging is better than blocking, but if you are already getting hit, blocking is better

Souls style: you take one hit, mash roll to get away before you take a second one

Nioh style: you take one hit, mash roll to get away before the second, the start doesn't have iframes, you get hit. Therefore, if you get hit once, block and wait for an opening to dash away and heal

next boss is way easier, boss after that broken if you use a certain item you should find before getting to it.

Parrying is a skill that needs to be unlocked

He fought Onis, he is talking about Chainball Wrecker.

OP, here are my tips for you.
1. Farm graveyard summons, they'll not only give you purple gear/weapons but ochoko cups as well.
2. Use ochoko cups to summon a co-op partner, makes the game immensely easier. Granted, I'd only recommend doing this in levels where you're struggling, because it really can trivialize the game if you get a very high level summon.

>the slight fucking hitbox at the end

>dodge the two swings
>go in to hit him
>THE BALL FALLING DOWN AFTER THE SWINGS IS STILL A HITBOX

Such an unfun fight

I'm really hyped for the odachi too, but I'm more concerned about the new enemies. I hope it's more than just one type

I'd also like if you could get another weapon type near the half/end of the DLC, would be a neat surprise. But worst case scenario, at least we have a new weapon, so I'll still be satisfied

>parrying mechanic
Yes but you need to unlock it in the skill tree

Summon help.

Don't buy into tryhard faggotry. There's an online function for a reason.

Onis ruined this game.

I don't want to be forced into constantly ki-pulsing just to get rid of some dumb mist bullshit that actively hinders your stamina which is fundamental to the game's combat. It feels cheap, not challenging.

I beat the first few stages and then just quit.

Yeah I was kind of surprised when the news of the DLC only addressed one extra yokai considering one of the biggest complaints is enemy variety.

>2kats
>1kat
>another bigger 1kat

not very hyped

you're right, I wasn't thinking about that

You guys are definitely what is wrong about the Soulsborne fanbase: you want bosses to be the playable's character mirror matches instead of just being, you know, bosses.

>"Oh no! the boss has an unfair attack! how dares he!"

If you have any gear with oni attack damage reduction, use it. +attack damage vs oni will be helpful as well. Slot those amrita stones to a shortcut and use them to recover your living weapon mid fight. Once you get his stamina down or break his horn, activate living weapon and go nuts on him for a while.

Paralysis defense helps a ton, stack a lot of it so the effect never lands in the first place. Keep some needles on shortcut as a backup. Oni damage/defense bonuses also apply. Using ranged weapons / any throwing item while she is in the air fucks up her stamina hard, so make sure to take advantage of that.

You need to unlock parries, but the only one worth picking up is Haze II. Water Shadow is fucking worthless.

Well I never played 1kat or 2kat so a bigger 1kat is new enough. I'm kind of equating it to a greatsword too and I always like big sword in games.

i fucking love nioh
if they make a sequel its gonna b really good

My only gripe with Nioh is how easy it is for you to die

One mistake and you are already dead. In Souls, at least pumping a bit of VIT helps to turn oneshots into twoshots, in Nioh it feels like the enemies grow to always kill you as fast as possible

Enemy variety also doesn't help. I hate fighting those red oni with swords, somehow I get clipped by those mad swings and more often than not that's enough to kill me after two hits

The lightning bolts are not that bad, you can dodge them by simply moving in a straight line. I agree it's a pain in the ass until you learn to deal with it, but it's not so bad

It's basically the "Have you learned to purify yet?" fight

>Onis ruined this game.
Sounds like you're really low level. Oni die in a couple hits once you get exp. So just like any game with a level system made since the dawn of time, if you're having trouble fighting a monster then get some levels and try again.

Also the plural of oni is oni.

What build did you run? I used axe with heavy armor and I could face tank tons of shit even from bosses.

I don't mind minimal tracking, but it looks and feels awful when some of the bosses track so much that their moves clip into their own models in order to hit you.

Spear with medium armor (though I changed to light armor because it didn't really matter in the end)

Just high stance katana, when you break their horn it brings them to their knees and you can wreck them

So is the game worth getting if I enjoyed the beta?
What exactly is the season pass going to add?

I found armor actually does matter alot in Nioh especially near end game. From what I could tell heavier armor not only gave more defense but had more perks geared towards being tanky. I didn't mess around alot with ng+ but my Willy definitely wasn't squishy.

Biggest problems with Nioh are

1. Enemy Variety. Seriously, the red oni get super boring to fight after a while, to the point where you end up dying because you stopped paying attention. They get remixed with elemental power later on and get a single new move

2. Everything takes fucking ages to kill while you die in a hit or two. That is true for almost every encounter in the game and even if play offensively, you always need four to five combos to kill anything bigger than random soldiers while everything is capable ot 100-0 you

I'll give you the first one but you mustve been running some really shitty gear to take ages to kill anything.

>Also the plural of oni is oni.

Don't get all weeb on me, you know what I mean.

And I guess you're right about me being low level, but honestly the fact that there's a leveling system in the first place bugs me. I didn't like it in Dark Souls and I don't like it here, but at least Dark Souls didn't have anything as commonly intrusive as Yokai Realms.

Nue is the lightning tiger that I mentioned. Nothing will get harder than Nue, the vampire lady, and the Oni.

Nue and the mandatory Muneshige boss fight are on the same level, yet that Muneshige fight is the easiest thing ever. Just goes to show that the game is very forgiving and knows when to dial back the difficulty.

>end second island
>farm the fire oni spear dude for all of his gear until I get purple everything from him
>literally the best gear available at this point
>go fight stuff
>still takes ages to kill anything

Big ass dudes with a fuckton of HP went down a bit faster because of the increased burn damage, but fights against regular yokai and normal soldiers were still a slog

>Also the plural of oni is oni.
That reminds me of how the plural of Jesus is Jesi
English is pretty weird at times

>muneshige fight
>finally a cool 1v1 fight
>real muneshige invites me to a duel
>oh boy it's more 1v1 goodness
>he doesn't flinch with anything you throw at him
>keeps throwing his dog at me
>iaijutsu strike makes him leap through half the stage to hit me
>everything kills you in one or two combos
>takes fucking ages to down him

This game keeps disappointing me

>What weapon are you using, OP?
Mostly katana and sometimes axe.

>Are you switching stances?
I use the down stance for the sword and the up stance for the axe. I rarely change the stance. Why?

So, any time you level up a weapon, while its attack power increases, its secondary properties become worse.
Is that right?

the first boss once you get to Japan

It'll only be worse until you regain familiarity with the weapon.

Is it really that bad?
I main 1kat, but I didn't really try it because taking the L1+Triangle slot is awful due to how good Ki Pulse is, whereas Haze only replaces that sheath-sword two hit attack

I heard Water Shadow was "better" in the sense that it's a slash, thus having a bigger hitbox and a bigger chance of hitting two people with the riposte

Aaaah. Thanks.

Only a bit over a week!

>complaining about ki pulsing
literally easy as fuck to do and 9/10 times you can just ignore the portals and move

just iframe and then its EZ

>be shit at Souls games
>beat almost all the bosses in Nioh on my first attempt except the first few

Does heavy armour/axe just trivialize the game or something?

>that feel when haven't touched Nioh since I first finished the story

Ki-pulsing was tough for me at first but I eventually got accustomed to it. I just don't see why it was necessary in the first place.

Obviously the intention was to set the monsters apart mechanically, but I think they could have done that without trying to rob you of such a basic, integral mechanic. It feels kind of lazy.

No the game is just pretty easy. I was honestly a little disappointed when I fought Nue. People were going on and on about how hard he was and the alpha and then I just beat him first try, honestly I don't think he has ever killed me. The game is still fun as fuck though and some boss fights are really fun, the combat is 50 times better than Souls and as such you have more options to fuck enemies. Sometimes it feels like they didn't properly balance enemies against the massive moveset/arsenal William has. I feel like there are too few enemies that can use all the skills you can like fiend Ryu or something.

The game is big on switching stances a lot to adapt to your enemies and situations, for example, you might want to switch to high stance with the katana to punish an enemy's strong attack or adopt a hit and run style with enemies you don't want to be too close to for too much time, like a Crow Tengu

Likewise, you might also want to switch to lower stance to inflict debuffs with elemental weapons to weaken an enemy

Or keep a medium stance to block better or parry or simply mantaining a more balanced style

A big part of the beauty of the game's combat system lies in its use of the Stances
It really gives it a lot, but you're starting out, so there's no need to worry about using everything now
Just go with what you feel comfortable using and try later, when you feel more confident, to mix it up

Although if you're using katanas Iai might become somewhat prevalent

The game was adjusted to be easier since the alpha.

>I just don't see why it was necessary
In my opinion it is literally nothing but an upgrade to the Souls stamina formula. Being able to recover ki so quickly really adds to the flow of combat and allows you to do a bunch of sick shit and combo chains. If you want to play it like Souls and ignore it then you can but you are severely gimping yourself.

Honestly if you're playing in a way where you don't ki pulse all the time and are just treating it as a solution to yokai portals then you're playing the game wrong.

The Nue wasn't so much tricky in the alpha as he could just catch you by surprise with his lightning strikes, partially due to the fact that the wind-up time in the alpha was a ton quicker. It would also pretty much always one-shot you if you didn't have good lightning resistance.

Just one of the many things they toned down a ton from the demos because people (Particularly the Japanese audience) bitched and moaned so much about the difficulty.

To which extent, though? The most I've heard is the removal of the durability and add-ons to boss battles in Twilight Missions

>the combat is 50 times better than Souls
>tfw I fell so much for Nioh's combat that now I can't get into Bloodborne

Yeah that's what they get for listening to feedback. Apparently some people even asked that ki pulsing be removed even though it's a major component to the combat. It sucks that hardcore niche action games are few and far between now due to wanting a bunch of sales and modern day gamers just being pretty casual in general and not wanting to learn and adapt to mechanics.

There are less enemies, enemies have much shorter aggro ranges and give up chase much quicker. Removal of durability, the add-ons in twilight missions and some various attack changes like says

Most enemies did much more damage in the initial demos and were far, far more aggressive. The stone soldiers also weren't glass cannons in the alpha demo, they were actually bonafide minibosses.

>the wind-up time in the alpha was a ton quicker

It's literally the same.

I might have misphrased my post. I didn't mean to imply that ki-pulsing itself was unnecessary, I was talking more about the yokai portals specifically. To me they felt like a cheap way of adding challenge to the game, and I think ki-pulsing would have arguably been more effective and rewarding if it wasn't required at all.

>(Particularly the Japanese audience)
It still surprises me, if I'm being honest. I thought Japanese players had this reputation of being hardcore and pulling some insane stuff in games. Was it just a meme?

Just because a few Japanese guys do insane stuff doesn't mean everyone does.

It's not bad as much as it is outclassed in every way. Water Shadow is just one big slash and nothing else, but Haze is a back slash along with an extra grapple/final blow plus a fully charged Iai when you get the timing right.

Picked up the game a couple o' days ago. Is sacrificing a ton of defense worth it for A durability? I did some combos and the Ki usage barely changed, and I remember getting better armor from the twilight mission helped an extreme amount in the demo.

Japan's hardcore audience is still pretty remarkable (Like that Bloodborne challenge run guy or that chick who's the best DMC/Bayo player in the world), but modern Japan is more casual than ever. Just look at how the traditional console industry has been decimated by mobile in the past 7-8 years.

People need to get this idea out of their head that Japan is some kind of nerd paradise. It couldn't be further from the truth.

youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk

*A Agility, don't know why I said durability

Oh I see. I don't know they really didn't bother me so much, there are times though like Ogress where there are so many it's just a clusterfuck and it isn't ever clear how they expect you to deal with it. I think it was mainly just to boost the difficulty of oni as opposed to making them just "bigger guys".

Living weapon clears out youkai realms without needing to ki pulse

Oh, so if you make an enemy run out of Ki with Water Shadow you don't put him in that vulnerable state like with Haze? That's pretty bad. With Haze-Full Iai-FB-Iai you can destroy a lot of stuff

The alpha demo was a slog. It's this cancerous mindset that the Souls kiddies have: "it's hard so it must be good xDD". The only bad change from the alpha was the camera that they changed to be straight behind you instead of panning a little to the sides.

I see. Are the changes in enemy numbers and agressivity very noticeable?
Maybe they could add some of that stuff back in an extra difficulty mode

They are very noticeable. Enemies could chase you across the whole map if you tried to run away from them in the alpha. Now they dont give a fuck after a few feet.