Diablo

I never really got into Diablo, I only played 2 for a bit and can't even remember much from the story.
If I'm not mistaken, the cast from the first game got corrupted with the Warrior becoming the Dark Wanderer or whatever.

What's better about Diablo 2 than Diablo 3?
Did D3 rape the lore in some way?
What's the current state of D3? People say that RoS/patches fixed a lot of stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vjwuqtJfxXo
youtube.com/watch?v=uqGvN5zTBTw
youtu.be/YFAPw_F3jyg
youtube.com/watch?v=O9wnu4FQO1A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>did D3 rape the lore in some way
Yes, Metzen ruined it all with his shitty saturday morning cartoon tier writing.

Diablo 3 is more arcadey. You just run around and blow shit up and every character class starts the same because you don't get skill points to distribute, you unlock skills at certain levels.
That being said, I enjoy playing Diablo 3 for longer periods of time because I can turn my brain off and just fuck around.

Don't bother with Diablo 3. It's pure garbage, and this is coming from a former Blizztard. It really is nothing like D2.

Cain dies to some stupid butterfly shit.
Diablo is a girl.

The best part of me getting the original D3 collector's edition is that it came with copy of D2 as well. I ended up playing that more than D3.

D3 is way too influenced by WoW and Jay Wilson's awful decision making.

Path of Exile is the way to go, not even trolling.

There's not really much they can do with it from here. The Nephalem are going to awaken more and more as the years without the Worldstone pass. One of them was able to kill even The Prime Evil. An army would lay waste to both the High Heavens and the Burning Hells.

>What's better about Diablo 2 than Diablo 3?
literally everything
>Did D3 rape the lore in some way?
yes
>What's the current state of D3? People say that RoS/patches fixed a lot of stuff.
those people have shit taste

>Did D3 rape the lore in some way?
Diablo 1 and 2 were made by Blizzard North, a company that Blizzard bought, both games have a great atmosphere and darker themes. Diablo 3 was made by Blizzard, looks cartoony and bright and the story is for retards.

D3's story/lore is fanfic tier, the graphics are cartoony trash form wow, game play is mindless.
D2 had well written dark minimalistic storytelling. Graphics are dated but good for the time. Gameplay was so good it been copied for years in countless knock offs.

I'm curious about the what they messed up or what was fixed with addon. People make it sound like RoS changed the whole game.
I think they shouldn't have included the auctionhouse in the game but instead added it later to the game.
PoE has a marketplace too but people don't really mind it. Which gives people who bought more tabs a bit of economic advantage but then again the game is F2P.

>Diablo is a girl
Isn't just the vessel that used in the third game a girl?

>looks cartoony
I think you mean stuff like pic related. Guess this is where the WoW-influence shows.
Judging from screenshots it doesn't look that cartoony/bright but compared to D1/D2, the difference is clear.
I heard that there some retcons. Also isn't there a lot of corruption in D1/D2 anyways? If it's true that he has a boner for that kind of thing, how did he mess up?

Diablo 3 story is like a staturday morning cartoon.
>enemy bosses project themselves in front of you to talk
>they constantly shit talk
>reveal their plans
>marks on your map
>then ask how you found it
>you will never defeat me
>gets defeated
Its painful... very painful.
Its a biblical fuck up.

>Judging from screenshots it doesn't look that cartoony/bright but compared to D1/D2, the difference is clear.

Path of Exile looks more Diablo than Diablo 3:

youtu.be/vjwuqtJfxXo

>Isn't just the vessel that used in the third game a girl?
The one he used in Diablo 1 was a kid, and Diablo was the giant red monster we love.

D3 is a fine game. I played it quite a bit on release and bought the expansion. Worth the money easily. The problem is D3, much like SC2, has a fucking HORRIBLE story. Diablo was an awful, cartoon villian this time around and it makes it really hard to take the game seriously.

D2 LoD is a far more engaging experience. Also, the itemization is FAR more meaningful. You can shit on D2 for a number of reasons, but at the end of the day it's a game that came out 12+ years ago and can beat out most of its [current year] competitors.

D1 and D2: Legitimate grimdark that's not edgy for the sake of edgy, you can feel the gothic atmosphere drown you.

D3: Saturday Morning Cartoon

It looks like a demon but I see your point.

Really? I mean in D2 you're just following the Wanderer but it's more like "We heard he went to this place, so let's go there and find more clues" or stuff like that. But if it as you say, then it is a fuck up. Doesn't even sound like a good Saturday morning cartoon.

I played it for a bit but the desync was still there (rarely though), I lost interest after I got to the second act because games I've been waiting for released and since there is a lot of new content/acts coming, I'm waiting for that.
I also noticed that the tooltips are kinda garbage and it's better to look for gems/descriptions in the wiki instead. A friend of mine who is a huge PoE fan told me that it's a well-known "issue" but people don't mind that much because new players just follow a guide and players who know enough to make a character on their own or want to try new stuff, know about the game and mechanics anyways.

Dont forget that this Angel dude Turiel (or smthing) is a nigger.
So, we have Strong Independant Diablo woman and Holy Negro.
Thx progress.

>A friend of mine who is a huge PoE fan told me that it's a well-known "issue" but people don't mind that much because new players just follow a guide and players who know enough to make a character on their own or want to try new stuff, know about the game and mechanics anyways.

Probably because the game is generally easier if you dont count the very last endgame bosses. So more casual players can easily reach level 70 if they just follow a few basic rules on the system. Namely that health- and energy shield nodes are extremely important, and that if you're cooking your own home recipe build, try to keep it 1- or 2 color build. 3 color builds can be tough for newcomers.

Aside from that all the rules of Diablo 2 apply. If you did not cap resistances by the time you're in the hardest difficulty, you can only blame yourself when you die too quickly.

But yeah the game gets 10 acts soon so a lot of that advice might fly out the window, who knows.

>I heard that there some retcons. Also isn't there a lot of corruption in D1/D2 anyways? If it's true that he has a boner for that kind of thing, how did he mess up?

In many ways, really.

The nameless hero of D1 is suddenly one of the king's sons who, as it happens, knocked up Adria after slamming the soulstone into his head, which apparently passed on some of Diablo's essence into the baby. Deckard Cain raised her, but, despite his limitless knowledge of all kinds of shit, can't tell that she's infused with demon powers when she MAGICALLY BURNS SHIT IN SELF DEFENSE.

Act I: Cain's killed by a generic attack from a sub-par villain outside a cutscene. WoW's GARROSH had more effort put into his death by Green Jesus. Tyrael shows up, so does Leoric. The cow level is rainbow unicorns this time around.

Act II: The small child who you're pretty sure is lying to you... IS LYING TO YOU. Also, the spirit who you expect to try and kill you once you revive him tries to kill you after being revived.

Act III:
>You'll never hold the castle!
>You may have held the castle, but you'll never break my siege!
>You may have broken my siege, but you'll never reach me!
>You may have reached me, but you'll never defeat me!
>BLAR! I AM DEFEATED!
>...I wanted to go into the Black Soulstone anyway.

Act IV: See Act III, location changed to Heaven, where the Angels are getting their asses kicked on their own damn turf.

Act V: Where a crazy angel decides to become Death and, instead of annihilating the legions of Hell and end the Eternal Conflict, murders everyone on Sanctuary... and then you kill him.

Remember when the D1 Warrior was actually the elder son of the King?

Remember the post-credits scene where you banged Adria in her hut? Good times.

Remember when the entirety of D2 plus it's expansion took less than nine months time?

Must've just sprinted across the world, deserts and oceans be damned

>VILE
>BUTTERFLY
>MAGIC

I think it was this video that explains it well (my PoE buddy sent it to me)
youtube.com/watch?v=uqGvN5zTBTw
Maybe I'll give it a try later, is this an accurate estimate?
>Approximately July 2017: The Fall of Oriath full release

>a crazy angel decides to become Death
As in The Death/Grimreaper? If angels are so powerful, why did they get their ass kicked in their hometown? Also how did Hell assemble so many strong troops? Weren't the big guys always kinda sealed up and when they broke free, the player pretty much put them back in their place?

How much time passed in D1/D2 before the D3 retcons?
I thought you were a stranger in D1/D2, that sounds like a big retcon.
Didn't they plan to make the barbarian in D3 to be the same as the one in D2 but decided it would be too much effort?

>How much time passed in D1/D2 before the D3 retcons?
It's never said, really, but considering you're running all over the planet in D2, it would have to have taken longer than the nine months it would take for Adria to shit out a kid. Cain wouldn't have been around to raise the kid as he was globetrotting with the D2 party.

>I thought you were a stranger in D1/D2, that sounds like a big retcon.
They were. The heroes in D1 a random warrior from King Leorics armies that had returned home, a random Rogue sister tempted by treasure in the labyrinth, and a random Wizard tempted by lost knowledge in the labyrinth. D2 set the canon as the Warrior who had defeated Diablo and plunged the soulstone into his head to try and ultimately fail to trap him. The Rogue and the Wizard became the corrupted Blood Raven and Summoner in D2.
D3 retcons the Warrior as having been the previously unmentioned elder son of King Leoric instead. And that he banged Adria the witch soon after emerging victorious from the labyrinth.

Sounds stupid even for retcons standards

>blizzard
>writing
kek

>banging adria
I don't remember this
which diablo shows this?

It's a D3 retcon. D3 says that the D1 Warrior was actually Leoric's son and fucked Adria offscreen after beating Diablo.

holy fucking shit
thanks user
didn't know what the word retcon meant while reading other posts

Basically OP, Diablo 3 was meh, but it wasn't as grimdark, minimalist storytelling like the other one. Art was complete shit compared to the last two - like they took the artists from WoW and made them do the art for it. Granted it's great fun and it does some expansion, hell even game-play is better balanced but the artwork is atrociously out of place.

Still beating the fuck out of Diablo for the third time was a childhood dream come true.

>didn't know what the word retcon meant

You could've googled it retard. It's short for retroactive continuity revision.

>Granted it's great fun and it does some expansion, hell even game-play is better balanced
It's a good Gauntlet title, but it's a terrible addition to the Diablo series.

Yea but its not a huge problem within the game, given how stuff like ascendancy is like an extra powerup you previously did not have. A new player should fare reasonably well. Experienced ARPG player will reach endgame with little problems (but with few instadeaths given how some bosses can have nasty nukes), people new to Diablo-esque ARPGs in general should be able to beat the game on Normal somewhat comfortably and probably start running into major problems in Merciless difficulty.

If you want to try it out again, wait for the next expansion, it removes difficulties and adds 6 new acts, totaling 10:

youtu.be/YFAPw_F3jyg

So its straight story-progress all the way up to endgame and mapping system instead of playing the game 3 times in a row.

english is my 3rd language, so it's sometimes hard to know every word

I didn't think it was that important for the context, turns out it was
so calm down mother fucker

tbf it doesn't have sorceresses everywhere shooting orbs

also other classes are decent

you can check out path of diablo, it's a d2 mod aimed to combine d2 and PoE, ladder reset soon

>DIablo is a girl
a fucking sexy girl bitch and don't you forget it
youtube.com/watch?v=O9wnu4FQO1A

>diablo 1 traps diablo in a soulstone
>diablo 2 Catching wanderer who put soul stone in their head and smash it to bits
>diablo 3 lol diablo fucked bitches and can posses every child he made.

pffffffffffff

RIP Leah

Could some oldfags explain why Diablo 2 is so highly rated? I'm playing through it right now and I'm at the beginning of Act 3. While it's enjoyable, I'm finding the formula of "get to an area - walk around - kill 3 types of enemies for about 5000 times" quite tedious. Also, I have to mention that the soundtrack is extremely good, it's quickly become one of my favorites

Yeah I was kind of blown when I figured out that Kerrigan was an expy/based off his relationship with his coworker who he married shortly after Starcraft 2. He puts his personality into the games too much.

Too many strong female villans/leads with the same personality. I wouldn't want to work with him, he sounds like he has a hell of an ego.

More variety in builds and character creation with stats and skill points and the crafting with the cube was fun, also nostalgia.

I think many people overlook the fact that there's really no way to live up to the hype after so many years of being dormant/dead franchise and sudden revival. Not to mention a totally different market. People wanted to relive their glory days, but they made a new game for a new generation. Hard to please the old timers. I didn't enjoy Diablo 3 nearly as much as I did 2.

It was a trifecta of features people wanted in gaming at the time.

unscripted loot
trading
RPG
Solo or multiplayer
min maxing characters
solid graphics for the time
comfy soundtrack.
Low ping requirement in dial up era

It was just a blast to play with your friends.

It was also a hell of a lot bigger in scope than Diablo, which was fucking awesome. From single dungeon to hell to deserts, pyramids, jungles, actual hell.

It was a fucking blast to play also.

I tell you what though, if they ever make a diablo 3 styled remake of diablo 1 I might buy it.
Might.

I think part of the D1 soundtrack was remixed in D2.

>diablo 3 styled remake of diablo 1
>can play as any of the 3 classes, but the Warrior always shows up to kill Diablo if you pick Rogue or Sorcerer due to D3 lore