Why do so many bosses in this game have multiple phases...

Why do so many bosses in this game have multiple phases? Seems like either lazy boss design or a lack of confidence in making challenging bosses. Some of them are good, yes, but some are awful. It seems they want to focus more on combat in this game and it isn't working.

>boss have fiery power up
How many times?

Multiple phases requires more work than one moveset for the whole boss fight. How is it lazy?

Lack of confidence indeed, it was okay the first three times, but making every boss a dragon ball character is simply bullshit

>oh look i'm dead
>lmao it's a prank bro i'm stronger
>i also brought my friends haha

the whole game is like that

>people liked the double boss fight against O&S
>Datk Souls 2 ends up full of multi boss fights
>people liked the two phase fight against Ludwig in Bloodborne
>Dark Souls 3 ends up full of two phase boss fights

It's more work crafting a boss that is worth its weight in one phase than to tack on a second phase for the purpose of difficulty. It's a lazy way of making the boss fight hard, and that is also disappointing because the multiple phases are there just to appease the 1337 hardcore crowd who think the game is about difficulty.

You faggots will spin anything as much as possible to make this game look bad.

Multuple phases was a fantastic feature and one of the reasons why the ds3 has some of the best boss fights

why would you want a boss fight to repeat the same pattern over and over

what are you a witcher 3 fan haha

Most souls bosses have more than one phase, they just don't have a cutscene between them so retards don't notice. Bosses have gotten more aggressive and used new attacks after getting to low health since DeS.

I agree that a fight like Friede is incredibly frustrating.

I think the way to do it is more like Nameless King, where the first phase is completely different, and also very non-bullshit from the second phase.

Feels better, and because the first phase doesn't have bullshit elements (if you think this you are bad), it's easier to get back to that second phase and learn his moves. Same shit with Ludwig in Bloodborne.

Essentially, fights with multiple bosses in a phase that isn't the last, often leads to bullshit moments.

au contraire, my handicapped fellow, the last phase is the true phase on most bosses, they add an easier first phase so you're not overwhelmed as soon as you start fighting the boss, and can start to get used to the fight, and then, later on, the fight reaches its climax as the boss powers up, though some fights just completely change (like Nameless King), they make sense in context

if you want an example of a 2 phase boss done poorly, it's Ornstein and Smough

>first phase is just bait Ornstein away from Smough, then destroy him
>second phase Smough alone is easy as fuck
>alternatively, go out of your way to kill Smough first, bait Ornstein then move onto Smough repeatedly, will take forever because Ornstein will likely charge at you
>lonely Ornstein is just as much of a shitter as lonely Smough
or you can just ruin the fight by casting a couple spells, getting inside the fog wall and then casting greater heavy improved soul destruction and destroying Ornstein in 3 seconds (though again, the fight isn't that good anyways)

And by bullshit moments i mean moments that are very rng. Example, in the Friede fight, you might dodge Ariandel sideways, and then immediatly get hit by the frost shit on the ground from Friede. Fuck that shit.

All that wall of text just to show how retarded you are.

Die from cancer contrarian son of a whore. DaS3 bosses are great.

BB > DAS3 > DAS > DAS2 > DES

I wouldn't consider that a phase. I'm referring to emptying the bosses health bar and then having to continue the fight.
So you think it is easier to make a boss that is fair and challenging with only one phase than to make a multi-phased boss?

Let me guess, you're one of those bandwagoners who think Souls is about difficulty and combat, right?

>final boss is a really great mix of multiple different fighting styles that really requires you to adapt on the fly
>lol lets just make them fight Gwyn again after

Literally why

multiple phases so that the boss has an unprecedented emotional expression, You fucking retarded.

if you're not trying to attack at a specific point in time, it is very much possible to dodge both of them without any issues, the problems arise when you try to beat them while they're up and about, and you should only start attacking when you see Ariandel start an attack that you know you don't have to worry, or he's too far away (and even then, control your camera so you can see him because he might start doing his stepping smashes, in that case, stop attacking when he's close enough and dodge)

your mother

>easier
well, I'd define it as easier, yes
>less effort because the boss won't change movesets
>less effort because the boss won't change visually
>less effort because you don't have to set up triggers to make him go phase 2
>less effort because you don't have to decide how he's going to transition (absolutely nothing? le aoe explosion meme? will I give him extra life to compensate for staying in place for a long time before transforming? or will it be instant transformation?)
I think there's no room for debate, it requires less effort to make the boss with only 1 phase

It's about making a boss that is challenging and fair. If that is the goal it is certainly easier to just tack a new boss onto the old one and call it one boss than to make a boss that is challenging and fair with one health bar.

>le so angry that I'm suddenly stronger after fighting.
Fucking japs.

All the emotion on Gael's fight was lost when he turned into Guts, so multiple phases don't always make that facet better.

Bosses where the health bar regenerates have low hp for each phase.

The only boss where a later phase moveset is totally unrelated to the previous is an optional challenge boss.

>Bosses where the health bar regenerates have low hp for each phase.
And?

and what bosses do you think are unfair? this is too vague to discuss without a good example to be discussed

I wouldn't call it totally unrelated, the lightning cues in phase 1 give ou a good idea of how phase 2 will work

I don't find any emotion in Souls bosses except for the visuals and music at the fight itself, since all I have before fighting them is some vague mention about their name and maybe 1 or 2 things they did

Nope, but I am intelligent enough to comprehend that boss fights is one of the most important aspects of Souls games. Die from cancer DeS/DaS2 nostalgia faggot. Get cancer and die.

Fuck Sulyvhan with a rusty tire iron

>and what bosses do you think are unfair?
Did you even read my post? When did I mention bosses being unfair?
Bosses are important, fights not so much.

everytime I see a post like this
I imagine someone using shitty weapons having problems beating a boss because they take forever to kill them

like Dark Souls 1 being difficult meme never working for me because I used the Black Knight Sword, which fucking destroys everything with it's crazy DPS, great range on moves, easy to upgrade to +5, great even without any str/dex investment

>Did you even read my post? When did I mention bosses being unfair?
>it's about making bosses challenging and fair
well, if you think they're all fair, why are you even bring this stuff up?

>multiple phases
>lazy boss design
No it's just a different angle of boss design. It requires just as much work, if not more.

got it right. Multiple phases gives bosses more character and also makes the experience more adventurous. I actually love the boss designs in Dark Souls 3 for this reason.

What is the purpose of bosses? To fight them. Get cancer DeS/DaS2 cucks, you are mad that BB/DAS3/DAS have the best bosses. DeS and DaS2 bosses never make it in top 20s, let alone top 10s hahaha.

The truth is people are too used to cheesing with poise and hugging the crotch of large bosses.

From improved boss fights a ton from DaS1 and 2 and they start to whine.

Dark Souls 3 has the best feeling combat and the best bosses in the series. I don't know where all these fucking contrarians came from trying to shit on this game, but I wish they would take their shit taste somewhere else. Anybody who hates multiple phases hates video games in general.

that's the opposite of lazy design

>multiple phases
>lazy design
What a fucking retard holy shit

So me saying that it is more difficult to make a challenging and fair boss than to make a challenging, fair multiple phase boss somehow means I think all the bosses are unfair? I think you have an axe to grind and you're putting words in my mouth based off that.
That's not their purpose at all. What top 10? Who is the authority on this?

>I keep dying to the boss on the second phase
>Boss is bad this is lazy design

>a souls thread that hasn't devolved into retarded "tier posting"
Screencap this one, it's rare

>I imagine someone using shitty weapons having problems beating a boss because they take forever to kill them
+8 Heavy Greatsword. Never made a str build in a souls game before and decided to try this when I got the GOTY version. Every other boss has been a piece of piss apart from Abyss Watchers.

DaSIII uses the BB strategy of rolling through attacks, actually. They didn't improve them at all from DaS1 or DeS. They just highlighted how simple and limited the combat is. They forgot that combat was not a focal point of the series.

>They forgot that combat was not a focal point of the series.
They forgot that with Dark Souls 2, I think they remembered during Bloodborne's development.

This is why nu-Souls fanbois can't take criticism. Every critique is responded to by saying a variation of the "got gud" meme. Why can't you accept that nu-Souls (DaSII and DaSIII) is poorly crafted and less realised than original Souls (DeS and DaS)?

I don't mind the multiple phase bosses, but they could spread them out more.

They forgot it with DaSIII, too. But Bloodborne is more akin to the original Souls, yes. They should have never made the numbered games.

>nu-
Stopped reading right there

I didn't know DaS3 had a missing archstone and everything past O&S.

Not that guy but while Dark Souls 3 may miss the point at times, it doesn't deserve to be placed on the same level as 2. Why people do this I'll never know.

3's environments, enemy designs, armor designs and boss designs are so much better than 2's it's not even funny. 2 is a seriously ugly turd by comparison. 3 at least had that going for it. The two handed / powerstancing element was also more fun in 3.

Even with the other games being handicapped by that they're still miles better than nu-Souls.

>two handed / powerstancing element was also more fun in 3
But it's not in DaS3.

>flashy and over the top
>the previous assets from the other games are slapped in together with everything even the monsters
ye sure buddy

>the purpose of bosses is not to fight them

DIE FROM CANCER SON OF A WHORE.

So what is Dark Souls III?
A discount Bloodborne or a discount Dark Souls I?

>STR
I recommend you try the twin winged knight axes, make them Heavy, fucking great damage and speed with the dual wielding L1, only problem being if you absolutely need a shield all the time, and fighting enemies with shields because the L1 bounces right off (but I think there are still ways around that like R2ing)

I'm suggesting them because eventually you'll get to bosses where you can't have a slow weapon or you're fucked

Die a painful death contrarian son of a whore, retarded nostalgia cuck.

BB > DAS3 > DAS >>>>>>> DAS2 > DES

Both.

Both.
DS2 is better than 3 and an improvement over 1.
Bloodborne is the best Souls game.

But none of those things, except maybe environment, is really that important to the games. But the reason they're together is because they set out for the same goal, to make an action game focused on challenging combat.

You have different moves when you switch to two handed. It's not quite like powerstancing but it felt like an evolution from that. Powerstancing was convoluted and most players didn't even know it existed because its presence in the game was next to nothing.

All of the games reuse assets, there's no point in making brand new ones in all occasions. Doesn't mean the environments weren't still well crafted and a thousand times more detailed and interesting than 2's.

Discount BB with armour and shields and poor level design. Nothing much in common with DaS1 fundamentally.

>designs aren't important to the games
They are the #1 importance. It's the plebs who think the games are about combat primarily. The people who got hyped for Demon's Souls before it came out were interested in the world and setting and how it presented things to the player.

>DS2 is better than
None of them. Ugly and boring world design with only a few cool areas makes it inferior to the rest of them.

You said armour, enemy, and boss designs, not designs otherwise. Environment design is important, yes,but enemy, armour, and boss design is not high priority.

Thanks, will try that once I finish work. No shield shouldn't be an issue though I will miss the grass crest stamina regen.

t. didn't play Demon's at launch

Not as much as DS3 did though.

>Seems like either lazy boss design or a lack of confidence in making challenging bosses
Seems like you need to git gud. Different phases in bosses are fucking awesome.

All those designs constitute "world design," you can't differentiate like that.

You differentiated them in the first place.

The enviroments in DS3 are actually alot more boring and generic.Just because it was made in a more recent engine doesnt make the areas more unique.The game is pretty and vibrant which makes it boring.

it still works on your back though, but I'm not sure if it stacks with cloranthy ring

by the way, there's a cloranthy ring +3 near the end of the ringed city dlc iirc

>le got gud meme
>le combat is important

How is combat not important in a souls game? You sound violently retarded. This thread is like a tornado of diarrhea.

I placed them in equal value.

Yeah it still works on your back, I was just worried about equip load

das3 is not as bad as you people try to make it seem like and i have to say this is the freshest of stupid criticisms

Because Japan has a fetish for final forms.

It's literally DS2 contratians teaming up with DS1 nostalgiafreinds after people have started to realize that 2 was garbage and 1 had pretty poor boss design compared to 3/BB

If the game was about combat it wouldn't have such bare bones and awful combat. Nu-Souls focuses on combat, that's why they're poor. They tried to turn a game that wasn't about combat into a game about combat.

that's on you balancing str and... vit? whatever the stat is, as well as balancing your armor versus having a shield equipped alongside your weapons

just remember to never leave an armor slot empty

But you differentiated them.

Do you have brain problems, user?

t. Nostalgia cuck. Ludwig bossfight alone is worth more than the entire game of DeS. Get cancer cuck.

BB=1=3>DeS>2

>be OP
>heard souls games are challenging
>surely a pro gamer like me won't have a single issue
>buy latest game because who cares
>find out bosses have multiple phases, giving them a diverse movesed through the encounter
>get my ass kicked every time because I can't adapt to the new moveset
>co whine on Sup Forums but not really whining, I just insult it pretending it's a bad and lazy game design rather than admitting that multiple phases are forcing me to learn how to counter the boss more than once per battle

It's to avoid becoming a retard like this that I browse Sup Forums only when I take a shit to have a laugh, otherwise I actually play games, improve my skill and have fun.

I meant differentation in their value, idiot.

So the game is good due to your nostalgia and not objective reasons that can withstand the test of time?

Normally I don't mind multi phase fights, but Friede was overkill

I actually liked this. If a boss was challenging to begin with, and you expect a second phase, it really motivates you. It also saves a bit of excitement. Learn attack patterns to beat their ass, then they switch gears which forces you to switch your approach.

>>fuck. This boss is destroying my shit and i havent even gotten to the second phase; I better step it up.

>>yes i finally did it. Oh shit, now none of my tactics are working so Ive gotta try a different approach.

Would you rather the traditional approach of working out their weakness and doing it three times to kill them?

Don't forget DeS nostalgia cucks, they ate subhumans.

I found it fine, because by the time you're supposed to fight her the bosses have like no health if you build yourself correctly. That's always been a problem in the souls games. Bosses do not have enough health.

But you said they have equal value.

You didn't play it at launch, just fucking admit it. Otherwise you wouldn't hold it in disdain like that.

t. nu-Souls kid who doesn't understand why DeS and DaS are good

Then what the fuck were they ever about if not the combat?

because you need to think about how you use your estus.

You're dumb as fuck son, how is designing a multiple phase fight less work than just doubling the health of the boss?

Everything you've stated in your analysis is the opposite of what one should rationally conclude & I feel sorry for you because you are either 13 or your IQ is subnormal.

And yes, dark souls is about combat, retard. Action RPG and all that.

When have you ever had to do one thing three times?

Trolls don't work when only you come across as the retard with no reading comprehension skills.

Having multiple phases is a lot more fun than the boss staying the exact same throughout the fight. It also makes estus management more important, because you know there is going to be a harder second phase, meaning that you have to play well and conserve estus in the first phase.

>I placed them in equal value.
That's what you said. Now you say
>I meant differentation in their value, idiot.
So which is it?