Why was this allowed?

Why was this allowed?

Other urls found in this thread:

metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nier-automata
business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/post-arcade/nier-automata-review-creative-daring-ambitious-oh-and-also-a-big-fat-mess?__lsa=b92b-9e88
nintendolife.com/news/2017/05/masahiro_sakurai_compares_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_and_horizon_zero_dawn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Good games get good scores.

Because Horizon was a bland 3rd person Far Cry 3.
The thing that really made BotW stand out from other open world titles is its aesthetics and pretty great physics engine.

Horizon is shit. Glad I returned that fucking bullshit.

Haven't played Zelda though

because women is protagonists who do violent things, or even any kind of things besides being dumb are unrealistic and stupid. Women suck, get over it.

/thread

Generic the open world game vs inventive open world game.

It's a better game lol

As cool as fighting robot dinosaurs is, it's just a skin on a Far Cry game

One of those games is fun and brings something new to the table. The other is Horizon.

Horizon was okay, best part is that it doesn't really overstay it's welcome.

Botw was also pretty mediocre, but I forced myself to stick it out because it's a Zelda game. It just goes on long after you get bored of it.

ZELDA IS THAT MUCH BETTER THAN HORIKEK

Horizon isn't great, but it amazes me that anyone thinks Botw is an amazing game. Even if it's better than Horizon, that's a low bar.

I don't think I can take you seriously, because I played Horizon. And that game is pure boring.

I couldn't care less about Zelda games though. Nintendo are literally only getting by through muh nostalgia.
I'll probably pirate BotW on CEMU sometime.

I still play Zelda after the postgame. Its definitely not the universal appeal the 10/10 critics imply but its a solid game in itself. I still wander the overworld of Hyrule just to explore for the sake of it. Its really nice and well crafted.

What does BOTW bring to the table other than a bland, uninspired, empty, open world with boring, shallow combat and mind numbing "puzzles" designed for 4 yr olds? Even Skyrim had a more interesting world to explore.

I cannot fathom how ANYONE could think BOTW is a great game, let alone a 10/10 perfect game. It doesn't even have a fucking fishing mechanic lmfao.

pic unrelated

its zelda so it automatically gets a perfect score and goty

>explore

Exploring to find what exactly? Koroks? The world is fucking boring as hell. As is the rest of the game.

>Sup Forums never talks about either BOTW or Horizon ZD anymore

Why did anyone think either of these games were GOTY material?

Shut the fuck up RIGHT NOW

>it amazes me that anyone thinks Botw is an amazing game
It amazes me that anyone could think otherwise. I don't even like Zelda games but even I can appreciate the amount of detail put into that game. Not to mention its pretty amazing how a game that allows for so many things has so little bugs happening.

I mean, I think the fucking "weapons breaking" systems is absolute ass personally, but even that mechanic is well polished for what it is. It's pretty hard to objectively critique relative to other open-world titles.

There literally a "comfy Zelda thread" every day

It did literally nothing better than Skyrim, which came out 6 years ago. Open world is a fucking meme. You've experienced everything BOTW has to offer after about 15 hours of play. After that it's a chore to play.

Also, anyone who thinks a game devoid of a good storyline can be "amazing" is a fucking moron.

Persona 5, Nier and Nioh were better games than both of these tbqh

>Gaymes need compelling story-line to be good
Wrong, faggot.

>It doesn't even have a fucking fishing mechanic lmfao.
It doesn't even need one, you can throw a bomb into the water, blow it up, and get a bunch of grilled fish without needing to pull out a gay-ass rod.

And if you want raw fish, you jump into the water and catch those fish with your bare hands like a fucking man, or just cryonis under them if you're lazy and don't want to swim after them.

If you couldn't figure out any of these things, you shouldn't be complaining about "puzzles designed for 4 year olds."

I've played for 104h, beat the final boss at around 80h and have just been exploring since. Yesterday I found a whole new village by the beach that i had no idea existed with new side-quests and stuff. I'm sure there more I've yet to see, I'm looking forward to the DLC thing that tracks all your paths.

>"Well polished" weapon breaking mechanic
>Doesn't realize it's a gimic to add playing time to an already wasteful empty world

So what you are saying is swords that break in 5 swings are a good thing? For all the bullshit you Zelda fans expect me to swallow including "muh realism," you sure don't understand a fucking thing about durability.

>P5
generic high school drama weebshit faggotry
>Nier Tomato
PS2 gameplay with tumbl-tier story, dull as fuck combat and mindless grinding
>Nioh
Great combat, but shit everything else.

Nintendo Switch and the Wii U barely gets any game, so people better buy that single good release per year.

Why was THIS allowed?

Anything. Not koroks, I'm not a completionist.

Take in views, try to find new towns, maybe bump into a shrine. Get lost in the hills. Stuff like that.

>boring as hell

Maybe its just not for you. I like it, it feels very organic to me.

Zelda threads are common still. HZD was too generic sans the redhead main character.

Did I say I couldn't figure out how to get fish? I said there was no fishing mechanic.

And my point was that a 10/10 game would mean absolute perfection, and the absence of something as basic as a fishing minigame instantly voids a perfect score. 10/10 is impossible to achieve. There will ALWAYS be something that could be added, in hindsight, to make the game better/more immersive/smoother/more fun/etc.

tl;dr you're a mongoloid

What makes Zelda better than any other open world meme game?

>people taking the 10/10 score this literally

Jesus

A mini-game every time you need to acquire a basic material isn't a mechanic, it's a chore.

New IP vs Well liked and established IP. Also having played both Horizon feels oddly generic. I think it's down to the camera and the movement systems being too much like RotTR. Too much of that in general. BotW though feels like a Zelda game thats gotten massively expanded. The world has tonnes pf little details anf interactions with the world feel less robotic. The fact that the facial animations were existant unlike horizons. What the fuck happened to that studio? They did good work on Heavenly Sword.

It really depends on the game. A lot of focus seems to be on survival. Being able to have infinite weapons kinda kills that feeling.

I fought against a Lynel the other day and all my shit broke when it had almost no health left. I saw a fucking twig on the ground, picked it up and killed the Lynel with it.

I've played no other game where a weapon that is absolute shit relative to every other weapon in the game can still be useful so late in the game. Not to mention the tension you feel when all your shit is gone. You go from hero to zero.

I'm not sure if I want it to return in upcoming games, but I can definitely appreciate the idea. It does generate some really cool moments.

In every aspect except art style, Skyrim excels. Idk why ppl think Zelda is a good game. Not that Skyrim is either.

>Skyrim better artstyle than Botw

>point was that a 10/10 game would mean absolute perfection
Literally no reviewer considers 10/10 to be "perfect" user. That only your perception on the score. You should read what a score implies before spouting "hur dur it's not perfect".

And completing 100+ mini shrines, finding koroks, and grabbing a new weapon every 2 seconds isn't a chore? The entire structure of the game boils down to entering a new area, finding a tower, completing mini shrines, then doing the main quest bullshit, repeat 20 times. The whole game is a chore after you've finished the first couple map squares.

>reading comprehension
>existing at all

I said Skyrim excels in everything but art style.

One pandered to weebs
The other pandered to SJWs and vapid normie women

Only one of these demographics actually plays games.

Sounds like you needed to find better weapons.

Not if it feels compelling, which it did to me. It's mot like you have to do them all. If you happen to see something , do it, if not , it doesn't really matter.

You know what feels like a chore though? Climbing a tower and getting a checklist of 500 things to do marked on your screen.

At least in BotW the world is designed to intrigue you to go to certain areas by having smoke going up through the trees or various interesting looking landmarks. All other open world games just marks all that shit for you without even attempting to make the locations interesting.

That was my major problem with The Witcher 3. As soon as you purchased the map or whatever (I forget how the mechanic worked) it would place like 50 ?'s on your map. It completely killed any real exploration.

>And completing 100+ mini shrines, finding koroks, and grabbing a new weapon every 2 seconds isn't a chore?
Puzzles are not chores, and if you find them boring to the point of being monotonous, then it's clearly time to take a break. If you find puzzles inherently boring in this game, then play Dark Souls instead. This clearly isn't the right genre for you. Finding the shrines isn't even your top priority in the game, and you should always have other goals or objectives in mind while looking for them. It's basic multi-tasking.
You're not meant to actively go out looking for koroks, you're supposed to encounter them on the way to wherever you're going, hence why you only need 140 or so seeds to fully upgrade your capacity but there are literally 900 of them in the game. More Koroks means a denser population of them, making them much easier to find.
Considering that the vast majority of monsters in the game carry weapons, and weapons take longer to break than Sup Forums likes to pretend they do, if you're running out of weapons and have to farm new ones every "2 seconds," you're playing really stupidly.

>The entire structure of the game boils down to entering a new area, finding an objective, completing mini areas, then doing the main quest bullshit, repeat 20 times
You'll find that most games in existence boil down to that. With certain terms slightly broadened.

in my opinion towers were one of the highlights of zelda, actually getting to the top just allowed me a better viewpoint and gave me places which i wanted to mark on the map myself and check out

D-d-d-d-destroyed.

I got one better.

You don't even understand what Nintendo just did, do you?

>It did literally nothing better than Skyrim, which came out 6 years ago.

Salty as fuckarino.

>And my point was that a 10/10 game would mean absolute perfection
So you're just retarded, I see.

The amount of freedom is unparallelled and the world building is unmatched. Now start mashing that keyboard and tell me how wrong I am.

You do know you can disable the landmarks on the map and discover and miss thing on your own, right?

I can't believe they're even making a Knack 2.. The first game was so shit, adding co-op will hardly make it better.

San Andreas was way better for that. The worldbuilding was about the usual for a zelda game.

Hands down the best part of the game in my opinion and I really want other games to continue like this.

Because paying reviewers is how the industry has been working since forever.

You know absolutely NOTHING about game design, do you?

paying reviewers sure helped for star fox zero and metroid other m

>Giving a fuck about Metacritic.
They let any faggot with a blog have their scores counted.

Look at Nier Automata:
metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nier-automata

One of the shit viewers gave it a 5/10, but if you read his review you will see that he didn't even fucking finish Route A. He played no more than 3-5 hours of the fucking game.

Here it is if you're interested.
business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/post-arcade/nier-automata-review-creative-daring-ambitious-oh-and-also-a-big-fat-mess?__lsa=b92b-9e88

Metacritic is irrelevant, and gaming scores are irrelevant too. Good reviews are ones that don't use an arbitrary number to determine a games worth.

I see they finally purged most of the retarded 0 spam.

Ever noticed how most 10/10 scores on Sony games are from publications and websites that are Playstation specific or named after Playstation, whereas Nintendo get them from everywhere?

>99% of User score is either a 10 or a 0.
Why not just have a like or dislike button at this point like Steam does?

Yes paid reviews is the only possible explanation, right?

It couldn't possibly be that the most revered and respected video game developer in the world - a company who regularly produce games which top GOAT lists - just made a good game. No chance of that.

It's a neat idea but it won't stick.

Most devs don't have that much time nor manpower. Creating the objectives takes long enough and adding interesting landmarks to every single one will take more than twice as long. While I appreciate what Zelda did, most devs are not going to want to design things that 'may or may not' be experienced by the player.

There's no way devs are going to put that much effort into their games if they are working on series that release on a yearly basis.

your scenario is just as likely as his scenario

Breath of the Wild is literally just a Ubisoft sandbox with a Zelda theme applied to it.

Finished it last night. I think it's honestly the best Zelda since Wind Waker and one of the first times I've had genuine fun with a game in a while. That said, those dungeons were fucking garbage. They should have cut the amount of Shrines to 100 and put some of those puzzles into actual dungeons, and maybe put in one extra. The design of the dungeons was also pretty weak (and ebin ganon 4 times in a row with different powers). Putting aside the fact that they took like 30 minutes top to complete, it felt like it was a really cool concept for one dungeon that they stretched out into 4. Some themed dungeons would have been nice, with the giant moving robot dungeon being one big one by itself.

It also needed more exposition for the champions. It's a little hard to get any feels for them when all you get is 1-2 cutscenes featuring them and maybe a handful of text before you get into the divine beast. The only character that really felt developed at all was Zelda since she was in most of the damn memories. Hyrule Castle and Ganon's first form were really fucking cool though. If the dungeons were better I feel like this game could have rivaled OoT/Majora for me.

Not really, you just have to be inventive with the tools you already have - see the example of smoke coming from the woods.

You don't need to create new assets everytime you wanna make a location interesting, just use the ones you have.

t. didn't play the game

Don't you have some 0 reviews to post on metacritic?

desu guys the best thing about exploring in botw is running around some area and then hearing kass playing his accordion, always got excited by it

10 Nintendo points have been deposited in your accounts.

>A company with a track record of producing great games make another great game.
>A company risks their entire reputation to dupe consumers by systematically paying hundreds of reviewers across the world and everyone of one those reviewers agrees and nobody blows the whistle that they were offered a bride.

You are fucking delusional. Bet you think 9/11 was an inside job.

Your delusional for dismissing paid reviews this hard.
Jesus Christ where the fuck have you been the past 5 years.

Even Sakurai admits that Horizon is a good game. He even says it's less tiresome than BotW.

nintendolife.com/news/2017/05/masahiro_sakurai_compares_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_and_horizon_zero_dawn

If Masahiro Sakurai can admit that Horizon is a good game, why can't the rest of Sup Forums?

Inshallah brother, we will show the Nintendo infidels the power of Horizon™ Zero Dawn.

Not him but AAA developers/western devs don't do passion projects or incentivise. They do checklists. That is why HZD, as succesful commercially as it was, is forgotten.

They don't improvise or try to think outside the box or put much love into new themes.

"MECHA DINOSAURS! EVERYONE LOVES THEM!"

is as far as they go. They do it, great detail but that's it. Flash with no substance. It takes a lot more effort due to both the work ethic and mindset behind western devs.

Agreed. Especially about the dungeons.

To be honest I didn't really mind the dungeons being short. The first divine beast I entered I though was really cool and I loved the "gimmick" of moving the entire thing while being inside. It really made me excited to see what the other 3 would do.

Then I realized, after beating a second beast, that they were all going to have the exact same "gimmic" and that all would have a slight variation of the same boss.

Dungeons and bosses are definitely my biggest gripes about BotW.

Yeah. How could 9/11 be an inside job if the planes came from the outside?

You're taking that quote out of context. He says the puzzles are tiresome but then immediately says in the same line "But that is what everyone loves about Zelda as puzzles are the challenge" or some form of that.

Why is THIS allowed?

And they get caught and exposed.

I guess Nintendo must have been paying all those reviewers and journalists since the 80's, right? Stop the paranoia.

BOTW wasn't some massive innovation either. It was innovative for the franchise and is a good game, but it is by no means brings anything new to the table in the industry as a whole.

Nintendo takes risks on franchises they don't give a fuck about and save the funds to pay off reviewers for their bigger and more successful ones. Not surprising.

But you're comparing a multiplat that has been on 5 different platforms since 2013 to a game that has been on 2 platforms for 2 months.

Yes because all those perfect scores when the game is nothing worthy of such a score comes out of thin air.

>It's pretty hard to objectively critique relative to other open-world titles.
how about the absolute garbage level/puzzle design and the worst VA that's ever been in a video game?

>someone actually took time out of their life to make this image

BOTW is on PC too.

>Arguing about Sales - which has no connection to Quality.

I guess, by your mentality, McDonalds must be the finest restaurant in the world.

>Comparing two similar games with similar launch dates to eachother

That's not really a bad thing though?

Maybe because GTA is 4 years old on 5 platforms with being a console bundle pack-in.

You mean, it got all those perfect scores because... people played it?

That is potentially the most meaningless graph I've seen all day.

Which other open world game offers the same level of puzzles variety or quality?

i agree with the voice acting though, that was shit and can definitely be improved.