What are some ludonarratively consistent games?

What are some ludonarratively consistent games?

Pic related

> ludonarratively

Explain this word to me

It means "can i fuck my companions bioware?"

It's a made-up bullshit term from a blog that gayme journalists started using because they thought it made them sound smart.

The Dead Space series is noted for having a consistent ludonarrative. Brett Makedonski of Destructoid states of the series "The gameplay aptly conveys the sense of sheer terror and loneliness that the narrative expertly strives to establish."

Where gameplay and narrative are one and the same, coherent and flawless.

Thanks
To answer your question, OP, play Frogger

ludo = game
narrative = story

It's when the gameplay elements of the game clash with it's narrative.

e.g. a story about a normal human being, yet the gameplay involves murdering hundreds of people

The Fade section of the game actually does perfectly convey what being in the Fade feels like for your characters (Your lost, have no idea where you are, have an insurmountable task in front of you. Which is cool and really well done IMO.

They also do the same thing with the Deep Roads (I swear you can feel how fucking stifling being under all that rock is while you're down there) but its not nearly as successful because the Deep Roads fucking suck to play. Whereas in The Fade I got to shapeshift into a rockem sockem robot and take advantage of the burning mans fire resistance to fireball myself and all the enemies around me.

Battle of Denerim is probably the only other mildly Ludo part of the game. And its mostly the tension/nerves you feel the night before the battle.

Don't mind me, just being the god tier origin and derailing the thread.

(Your lost, have no idea where you are, have an insurmountable task in front of you, you slowly lose sight of yourself as a person because you come to rely on the shapeshifted forms over your own abilities, and it feels like your stuck there forever even though you aren't there long at all.)

Got sidetracked and forgot to finish the parenthesis.

>Got sidetracked

wake up, mage

>Cisquisition
Dont touch me you filthy casual

Have 600 hours of the game and never once played either of the dwarf stories.

Seriously though, if you are the one who posted , you will like the content of Inquisition, you get to find out what exactly the fade and the veil are; and also titans, lyrium, dwarves, elven gods, A lot of the game's lore is established.

>Mfw I just keep making mages over and over again
I dont like being tied to Wynne and Morrigan for the game

I am the one who posted that, I also have 60 hours in Cisquisition because I have Origin Access and didn't have to pay individually for it.

Its straight up, full stop, a terrible video game. There's nothing Ludo about a bunch of shitty lore dumps ruining the mystery of the setting. Also my post literally says the gameplay needs to be good in conjunction with it (Why the ludo in the deep roads ends up shit tier) and the gameplay in all of Inq is shit. One DLC being alright can't save that massive, shitty main game

Elven gods and Solas (And by extension the lore continuing to take a massive shit on the Dalish by canonizing them being wrong about literally fucking all of there lore) is about the only cool dynamic they've added but they ruin it by overexplaining the fade/the veil.

The best writing in Inq was subverting my expectations with their black companions (Dorian owns slaves, Vivienne is a house slave but for mages) and Blackwall's companion quest.

Morrigan I can stand but Wynne is an insufferable cunt

GOD TIER
>Alistair, Leliana, Morrigan, Merrill, Varric, Dorian, Solas
HIGH TIER
>Sten, Blackwall, Cassandra, Cole, Loghain(would be god tier but demoted for being available only in last quest)
MID TIER
>Shale, Zevran, Bethany, Isabela, Vivienne
LOW TIER
>Oghren, Wynne
SHIT TIER
>Aveline, Carver, Dog, Fenris, Sebastian, Sera
LORE RAPE TIER
>Anders, Iron Bull

I like both characters (Confirmed for never using Wynne btw) but I've played this game a fuckload and always having 1/4 of your party locked in by 2 people gets old.

That's really interesting, because I felt the opposite way - I loved the explanation for the Fade and Veil, and the recurring theme of how narrative is understood differently through time (elven gods never even existed, they were just the most powerful, who's to say andraste, the maker, the archdemons aren't similar. Nobody anywhere except for Solas is even close to any semblance of truth about history but the world still keeps turning). Also lyrium is an organism or at the least the still-living blood of the world shapers, I loved that, and the elves and spirits were once the same beings.

To each their own I guess.

Btw isn't Dorian supposed to be close to Italian, not black, being Tevinter? Pretty sure we got hit over the head with Roman Empire parallels constantly about Tevinter

If Dorian is an intensely tanned man and not black then I'm the Queen of England.

>Not splitting up repeat companions into there different game versions
>Dragging down Awakening Oghren and Anders and Inquisition Varric with their lesser versions (Origins, 2, and 2 again.)

Gaider said Dorian was designed to have a Middle Eastern look. He doesn't look black at all.

No one in Inq looks like people. I figured Bioware giving him white features was more due to lack of ability/budget then by their actual choosing.

He's still a diversity hire who owns slaves, not quite as good as it would have been if he were black.

For me, Elder Scroll games.

>the lore continuing to take a massive shit on the Dalish by canonizing them being wrong about literally fucking all of there lore

I loved that. They completely subverted the trope of the wise barbarian. The Dalish are these proud, arrogant people, who talk of how they ruled the world and how amazing their ancestors were. Having their perceived wisdom be a bunch of platitudes spewed without reflection by a bunch of tribals who have no concept of what made their predecessors great felt perfect to me. It makes them more tragic, they stuck in this belief of being the bearers of knowledge while being completely ignorant, their pride preventing them from developing and building leave their own mark.

This But, this term is often used with "ludonarrative dissonance" that means when a game narrative clash with the gameplay, like when according to the story you're a hero who respects life but in the game you can kill enemies by dozens

Yeah the ludo's narrative felt real consistent when a guy asked me to enter my credit card details

pls reply to me

They got bought by EA mid development. We should be thankful that Levi Dryden in the fucking camp is extent of their influence