Do you think "netflix for video games" would work?

Do you think "netflix for video games" would work?
Where you pay a monthly subscription and get all games on the service instead of buying them individually

That's already a thing

Publishers would NEVER agree to that. Even with VOD (Vidya On Demand) you will always have to buy or rent them individually.

Already a thing. Look up "cloud gaming."

This has been around for ages. Hell, even Sony offers a service like that.

They have had gamefly for over a decade now and it's what you are describing.

Streaming games that can be over 30GB is a lot more taxing than streaming movies that never go about 5GB

That's not how streaming works.

>That's not how it works

Yes it is.

It's called PSnow and its garbage.

Streaming games is not the same thing. There's bad inputlag and you can't use mods/custom settings

Well yeah, I guess I'm asking do you think it will ever be successful?

Renting an individual movie costs like 3 bucks, do you really think vidya publishers would be willing to distribute their products for such a price?

It would either have to be stupendously expensive or have an absolute minuscule library

Either way it wouldn't ever be good

Dude. Just no.

Gamefly probably still exists.

Movie are 10% of the price of a video game so if netflix is 10 dollar, it should cost around 100$ /month.

It would still worth it for me

How am I wrong then?

Netflix is a streaming service. How is that not the same thing?

It would only be viable on Consoles in certain countries, and in a way Valve is already doing it.

You take a free weekend, expand it over three months or whatever it takes for them to cycle movies and thats basically Netflix for games. The issue is that no publisher would do it, as they'd be losing money on potential sales, even with the 2 hour refund policy.

>subscription service that allows you to rent games
Hitler tried to prevent this level of jewery.

Streaming is streaming. Nothing is really stored on the target device with gaming. What's maintained is a bitstream of video that's only buffered for a few seconds. How is it you think that Sony offers games on PC without emulation? The games run in real time on the PS4 hardware serverside. All the PC gets is an interactive live stream video.

Obviously because "bad inputlag and you can't use mods/custom settings" doesn't apply to movies retard

This is actually already a thing in the States.

How can you use mods or custom settings for streamed movies? You're not very bright. You seem underage to be honest.

That's exactly what PlayStation Now is and its success is questionable at best.

If it was like paying for a month's access to everything on Steam, as in you download the games and shit, but once the month is over you lose access to it
If free weekends etc are a thing I don't see how it couldn't be done, the question would then be how it would ever be profitable for the devs and publishers to license their games to such a service
It's not like Netflix usually has any particularly new releases afaik, it's older media that isn't running in the theaters and/or has been out on bluray for a while

>How can you use mods or custom settings for streamed movies?
That was the entire point retard

Gamefly dumbass

I could see a subscription based downloading service working for libraries of past consoles. I would pay $10 a month for a fully working PS2 library on my PC

I think people interact and consume game media in too different a way to films for it to be viable currently.
A film can be watched in one sitting, and only the longest TV series take more than a month to watch if you're committing to it, games are often 100+, even ones with narrative focus.
If I was halfway through some sprawling RPG and then it got removed from the service I would be pissed.
Likewise I think game players have been conditioned from games to want to horde and collect things, and so they tend to prefer to own their games, this is why you see people with retardedly bloated Steam libraries or keep the boxes to their games even though they could consolidate all those discs to a protective binder or something.

Likewise latency is a huge issue with games and if its not perfect some games would just feel awful.

remember when Netflix was steam for movies?

I'm paying 10 dollars a month for 3 months for gamefly. I'll stop subscribing after that. I've played last guardian, Mass effect and Nier automata. I've gotten my moneys worth. I'm not sure why more people don't do it. Like I would never replay any of those games.

it was a bit shit

As long as it's done like the new Xbox thing where you download them instead of streaming. Streaming games has never worked and will never work.

Game streaming technology is garbage and downloading the whole game has issues like HDD space, how it is removed at the end of the rental period, people having shitty internet connections and so on. Plus whatever service you bought would have a depressingly limited catalog because of licencing, exclusivity and so on.