Was the Wii U really that bad?

Was the Wii U really that bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WoWsJ-vQFKY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In terms of total library? Yeah it is sent great.

In terms of first party titles? It was good. It has at least 15-20 good to great games.

And it's insanely easily hacked which lets it be a Wii/WiiU/GameCube box so owning one is actually recommended

No, it wasn't. It was just really badly marketed. You can see it by the fact the Switch is pretty much the same thing with more portability and yet it sells. Why? Because of a better marketing campaign.
You can also tell the Wii U wasn't that bad by the fact all Switch owners keep begging for Wii U ports on the console. If the Wii U was really bad, nobody would play its games.

Personally, I love my Wii U. It allows me to play Wii and Wii U games (and soon many others like GC ones when I'll hack it). It was just really badly marketed.

They just forgot to market it.

It wasn't.
Best console of this rotten generation.

The Wii U had some good games, but I think it was the way it was marketed and presented that really killed it.
Nintendo tried to play off the Wii's success, but that ship had already sailed.
They should've not marketed towards children so much, it's almost like they're fisher price now. Kids nowadays are playing shooters, Nintendo didn't need to be so kiddie. Amiibos are humiliating, I can't imagine owning them

It had good games, but the console itself was just completely unappealing to anyone that wasn't a diehard Nintendo fan that buys Ninty products regardless.

Good games alone can't sell a console, the hardware itself needs to be appealing to the masses as well. This is why the Switch so far has actually been successful, because it's a neat and versatile device that's actually marketable. In Wii U's case, it just wasn't worth designing everything around the bulky and wonky gamepad.

I guess it's worht noting some devs must've been unconfortable with the idea of developing console games but with 2 screens in mind. You can see some good attempts to use it, even in multiplats like Batman, but all in all the use of the gamepad ended up being kinda ignored by most games

Yes.

The pace those games got released was painfully and seeing Zelda and Xenoblade get delayed year after year was insulting.
The games were good, but you had to wait way too long for the next good game to come out and there were no 3rd party games to fill up in between.

It still pains me to see BotW dropping the invetory/map on the second screen. It worked so damn well in WWHD. Fucking Switch, man.

I don't exactly blame them for it, but yeah, it's a real shame

/thread

And really, to be around for almost 5 years and to only have the games in OP's pic is pretty fuckin' sad, and even most of those are debatable.

Eh. I never fell for the second screen meme. I'd rather have a standard, comfortable controller than a stupid tablet. I've gone on the spiel before, but a second screen really only gives the illusion of convenience. You're still shifting your focus to look at something else, and with the complexity of the BotW menus and equipment system, you'd be flipping through pages of shit for such a long time you may as well just be paused. Also, I find that having to physically look away from the TV is FAR more disorienting and breaks the flow more than just having to push a fucking button and have a menu pop up. Especially with how quick it is to cycle through weapons in BotW as it is. I have no idea how the meme got started that having a second screen in your lap is better than just having a good interface in the first place.

Seriously, the logic behind having a second screen is like if your car didn't have an odemeter, so you tow a second car behind you at all times that DOES have one to check your mileage. Stupid. I think the only games I've ever truly seen benefit from the dual screen setup are gimmicky shit, and stuff like Castlevania on the DS, where you were constantly cross-referencing your map, so it made sense. Oh, and Henry Hatsworth.

But seriously. That's what mini-maps are for, anyway. Although everyone likes to say that using a mini-map in BotW makes you a pleb, so wouldn't using an entire map on the second screen make you a turbo-pleb?

I can't say I feel the same. It has never been bothersome to me looking at two different screens, with the glaring exception of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, that one was actually confusing.
I didn't knew it was a meme but I personally never found the second screen unconfortable, epsecially when it comes to maps or invetory management. I actually found it useful.

But well, it's just me.

Best Nintendo console since the SNES.

I bet Switch will be even better.

I only have Xenoblade X, #FE, and Splatoon (which I never played, removed it to clear room for XCX). What else should I play?

I want to play Bayonetta but I heard it's a pain in the ass without a pro controller? And would I like BOTW if I like JRPGs? I don't mind that its not the superior version or anything.

I used the pro-hud not to remove the minimap, it's all the rest that was annoying/unecessary. Plus having a map on the second screen would mean you only look at it when you want to, while the regular minimap is always lurking in the corner of the screen

I guess i fell for the second screen meme. It's not just for menu navigation, it can be implemented interestingly in various ways
>In Splatoon you can jump or use super weapons with a simple tap on the map
>In Rayman Legends you have an entire character dedicated to touch screen functions
>In Batman the pad turns basically in his computer that detects radio signals (you can't listen to them if you lower the pad's volume), guides the batarang or shows the enemy's profiles while the characters are talking about them
>Horror games add tension by relegating functions on the second screen like ZombiU and Project Zero

Is it a gimmick? You could probably call it that. But it's satisfying imo, and the pad sits comfortable in your hands in general anyway

I personally love the gamepad, but I think StarFox Zero is at least a 7.5/10 so there's a very real chance I have brain damage

Enjoying a game despite it's falws isn't that much of a biggie. Call me a faggot but i'll trust you more than the shitposters calling it the worst game ever 24/7. Shitposters for some reason really like clinging on it and Color Splash as the proof the Wii U was worthless

Fair enough. To me, it just seems to be a bother. Why look down at your lap when you could just hit a button and have the menu come to you? Equipping stuff was easier in Wind Waker because of how it worked, but in BotW, I find it easier to equip with the D-Pad/control stick combo, and I don't have to shift my focus to my lap to do it.

>the pad sits comfortable in your hands in general anyway
Meh. I find I'm alone in this, because people are always saying "it's wider, so it's comfortable", but width doesn't contribute to ergonomics at all. I have long fingers and lack of proper grips on the Wii U pad is annoying. I found the pro controller much nicer to hold, and the Switch Pro is even nicer than that.

I never played Zero, and I wanted to, but by the time it finally came out, my hype levels concerning anything on the Wii U were pretty fuckin' dead. However it does seem to actually utilize the second screen to do something that wouldn't be possible with just one, so there is that.

>but I think StarFox Zero is at least a 7.5/10 so there's a very real chance I have brain damage
You are not alone. The BIGGEST flaw of the game is the fact it doesn't give us an option for alternative control methods (hell, wiimote pointer controles would have been ace).
And yet, it is still a solid game, which finally brings back the 64 formula after those shitstains that were Adventure and Command.

So maybe we are in two having brain damage.

Most of those games aren't even exclusives. So yes, the Wii U was fucking trash and only the faggots who bought one will defend it just for buyer's remorse reasons.

Wii U pad is super comfortable for normal mature man' hands.
Dualshock is a fuckin joke, feels like plastic toy for 10-year old.

This user here
Those two games alone made the purchase worth it to me, but then again I'm not poor enough to regret any decision I make.

I mean, most of GC, N64, SNES and NES games nowadays aren't exclusives anymore either. Following your reasoning, they are all trash.

>And would I like BOTW if I like JRPGs?
That's a bit hard to tell. It isn't a jrpg or a rpg in general. But it is an adventure game with some tropes similar to jrpgs. I do like jrpgs but also BotW. But that's just me.

>Wii U pad is super comfortable for normal mature man' hands.
No. If you have long enough fingers, there's not nearly enough of a grip and you have to cradle most of the weight of the tablet with your fingertips. It's not explicitly uncomfortable, but it's not nearly as nice as being able to properly rest a controller in your palms and wrap your fingers around the grips like with the pro controllers.
>Dualshock is a fuckin joke
...okay. Nobody even mentioned the dualshock. Do Nintenbros really have this much of a persecution complex?

Not him but I think he was simply drawing a comparison with one of the alternatives when it comes to controllers.

Only one good game was released in the first year which is why only the most loyal Nintendo fans bought it in that that time period. The poor sales meant low trust in the consoles future which lead to constant low sales even after more good titles got released. Poor marketing is bullshit, the Wii U was released november/december 2012, and had only two succesful games at launch, Nintendoland and Super Mario Bros U. Kart and Smash followed 2014 and therefore too late, Splatoon and Mario Maker 2015. The real system sellers came much too late, no amount of marketing could change that. Nintendo didn't repeat that mistake with the Switch though.

Yes it was bad.
Worst 3D Mario. Worst Paper Mario. Worst Star Fox. Worst Animal Crossing.
Hyrule Warriors is a shitty repetitive musou, no idea why people pretend its good.
You've got two HD remasters on there. Why do remasters count for Wii U but not PS4?
Pokken and NSMBU are just meh.

>It has at least 15-20 good to great games.
No, the only way you can get a number that high is if you count literal garbage games like Color Splash and Star Fox.

>Best Nintendo console since the SNES.
lolno

You probably do have brain damage. What do you even like about it? The boss fights are fucking crap and there's like 4 on-rails levels total. I'm pretty sure that's like 1 or 2 more on-rails levels than Assault had. "back to 64's formula" my ass.

>I mean, most of GC, N64, SNES and NES games nowadays aren't exclusives anymore either.
Those games got ported several years down the line, usually 10+. Wii U lost its exclusives in less than 2 years. Not a comparable situation

>However it does seem to actually utilize the second screen to do something that wouldn't be possible with just one
Its not a good thing though. It makes you split your attention between two screens, which is cancer.
Also the dual screen shit stalled development because guess what, running the game at 60 fps on two screens actually takes a toll on the hardware. Thats why the game is so short on content even though it got several delays.

You never said anything about the time span. You simply argued that games being not exclusives anymore meant trash.
And many GC, NES and SNES games got ports in less than 10 years by the way.

Assault was good though.

I wasn't the guy you replied to, just saying its not the same thing.
And it was usually at least 5 years. And they aren't online like MK8 so they don't kill the other game's community like MK8D did

I never cared for the Dualshock 1-3, but 4 is pretty cool. I do think the Switch Pro feels much nicer, though.

Go be wrong somewhere else.

Oh well, you are not the same guy.
Still, the point he made was very different from yours. And sorry to burst your bubble but, again, many GC, NES and SNES games stopped being exclusives in less than 5 years too.
What's next? You'll go down to two years?
If you put online into the game, I could argue that there are PS3or 360 games with online play that stopped being exclusives in less than 5 years as well.

64>SNES>Zero>Assault>>>>>>Adventures>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>shit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Command

>I could argue that there are PS3or 360 games with online play that stopped being exclusives in less than 5 years as well.
It was never okay when they did it (see: TLOU)
So why's it okay for Nintendo to do it?

It had great games, and I like my wii u a lot because of that, but I still think it was a shitty design. The 2nd screen was annoying and never added anything of value in my opinion.

Still 100% worth buying one for the rock solid exclusives. The OP picture proves that. I'm just glad Nintendo seems to be back in form. The Switch is everything the wii u should have been. I honestly believe the Switch will sell 3X as much as the wii u, if not more. That's just my realistic estimate.

>Full priced remasters because Nintendo is super evergreen and special
>Warriors game that is just as Warriors as any Warriors game A.K.A Press this 1 button to feel good about yourself
>The bait and switch that was Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei a.k.a Super Cyan Blue
> Not tired of NSMB games? Well, since the library in the first years of the WiiU is as interesting as a puddle and half as deep here's 2 in 1 year. Fatigue will be nowhere to be seen!
>Look at all these great WiiU exclusives that received critical acclaim and good sales (for the WiiU). Time to give them shitty handheld ports that lack key features that made them so good!
>Here's a shitty fucking Starfox while we're at it.

It was a great console for the time it lives but Nintendo was literally trying to murder it. The fact that they're selling Battle Mode for Mario Kart 8 at full price on the Switch just shows how Nintendo Business is the biggest roadblock to Nintendo game development. Fuck the suits.

>Still 100% worth buying one for the rock solid exclusives.
Is it really worth buying for just 5 games?

What's the best way to play Twilight Princess? Should I emulate the Wii version or should I buy the Wii-U version?

Pirate the Wii U version

It was so bad it lost to the Vita by 1m units.
So yes it was that bad. Worse, even, as it was supposed to be a home console.

At least post the complete list

If you're delusional, sure.

Xbone good games: None
PS4 good games: Bloodborne
Wii U good games: 10+ exclusives
Insta win

>PS4 good games: Bloodborne
>Wii U good games: 10+ exclusives
The fucking picture you posted has HD remasters and multiplats on it. So you'll count those for Wii U but not PS4.
You're just biased.

Of course he's delusional. His list has star Fox Zero, Color Splash and Devil's Third on it.

>complete list
More like the bait list

Pic represents my current Wii U collection.

I don't get it

Let's be fair, the PS4 has also the Yakuza games. Although they may or may not be ported in the future

Yeah as well as Nioh and Gravity Rush 2.

ps4 has more exclusives than bloodborne
Unless you're disregarding them because you personally don't like them
In which case, most of the trash wiiu games dont count either

I would've mentioned them but they honestly don't seem all that interesting to me. One is a souls-clone which is also at risk of porting and the other has a neat concept but fans seem to only talk about muh brown waifu 24/7. Which is funny to me because (in game) she looks like crap

>this autistic hater in each Wii U thread

You have problems to select 10+ exclusive games from my pic?
SMT #FE
Color Splash
Starfox Zero
Hyrule Warriors
Project Zero 5
Mario Kart 8
3d world
NSMBU
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2
Devil's Third
XCX
Smash 4
Pikmin 3
Dong Freeze

17 games already. + Pokken Tournament.

Like others have said if you're just going to disregard PS4 games because you personally don't like them then those trash Wii U games don't count either

>ps4 has more exclusives than bloodborne
>Unless you're disregarding them because you personally don't like them
It's perfectly fine, cause I am expressing my personal opinion in this thread.

I dunno I think if people are going to count fucking Color Splash and Star Fox for Wii U then those games should count imo

But where's Ape Escape 4?

>fucking Color Splash and Star Fox
You should visit a doctor.

Here's what I enjoyed on it, I will leave off games ported to Switch.

-Mario 3D World (I have no idea why people shit talk this game. One of my favorite games of the whole gen, and I'm an idort)
-Bayonetta 2
-Wonderful 101
-Super Mario Maker
-Xenoblade Chronicles X
-#FE (I'm not a weeb but this game was charming and the battle system was great)
-Captain Toad (Fuck you I liked it)
-DK Tropical Freeze

Those are just the games I considered great, there were others that were pretty good like nsmb and Yoshi's Wooly World. And obviously I left off MK8 because it got ported. Funny enough I really didn't enjoy Sm4sh.

For me the wii u was absolutely worth the money, but I'm an idort and have expendable income. Admittedly I played my ps4 and pc a lot more, but it's not a contest. Unlike Sup Forums I thought the whole gen was pretty good, except for my paper weight xbone.

You should visit a doctor for your shit taste.

I like Star Fox Zero.

Nintendownies are the worst fanbase because they even defend trash games like Paper Mario Color Splash and Star Fox Zero. You don't see PS4 owners defending trash like Knack or The Order.
Also they bitch about Sony pandering to SJWs, then when Nintendo panders to SJWs through censorship they just ignore it or defend it.

The biggest problem isn't the number of good or great games, it's the number of ok games.
On PC or PS$ you can pick up something you wouldn't usually get for £5~£10 and just play through it once and move on, not really an option with the Wii U.

>Persecution complex: the post
Also yeah I like SFZ myself. Try and stop me, go ahead.

I never really understood why people liked 3D World or Mario Maker.

#FE isn't good. play a real persona game

No just go ahead and keep proving that you faggots are the worst fanbase on Sup Forums. I won't stop you.

>Worst fanbase on Sup Forums
That'd be Sony, as voted time and time again by PCbros, Nintenbros, and idorts like me.

No, as I said you guys even go so far as to defend trash games like SFZ and CS, whereas others don't do that.

>Defend
I only said I like SFZ. Is that a crime now officer? I can understand why someone wouldn't like the game but you're grasping as straws, which is normal for a platform warrior. And again, I'm an idort who owns a Ps4 so I dunno what you're harping about.

I prefer SMT games, so no.

>implying #FE is anything like an actual SMT game

Is there a way to apply the uncensor without loadiine yet

>Splatoon
Only decent in multiplayer, and not that decent at thta
>NSMBU
Only game I've fallen asleep to
>Hyrule Warriors
Starts strong...then gets old fast
>XCX
I refuse to play this until I get around to modding my WiiU so I can undo all of Reggie's fuckups
>SM3DW
Good for 1 playthru and for one song.
>DKC:TF
Pretty good.
>MH3U
Never bothered. I don't do rehashes.
>Yoshi's Woolly World
I hate Yoshi.
>Wind Waker HD
I don't do rehashes.
>Mario Kart 8
Actually entertaining until the rubber band kicks in. Multi can be fun if everyone isn't from Sup Forums, thereby colossal faggots.
>SSB4
Only entertaining in multi
>SMM
It's shit.
>Pokken
Only it's music isn't shit.
>Bayonetta 2
Enjoyable
>Pikmin 3
Meh
>W101
I hated it.
>TMS
See Xenoblade Chronicles X
>Zelda: TP HD
See Wind Waker HD & MH3U.

You have to use NUSpacker to put it in an installable package, or you can try to find a USB-ready uncensored version on sites like Wii U iso

>It has at least 15-20 good to great games.
You must be a hardcore nintendo fanboy if you think wiiu has this much worthwhile game.

I remember some guy saying it doesn't work. But I'll try i guess. Do you remember the game's weight, by chance?

I think its 12.5 GB.

Watch this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=WoWsJ-vQFKY

>Every time nintendo fans made a list of wiiu game they always slipped in shovelwares to pad the list.

It was total garbage with maybe one or two good games and tons of Nintendo's overpriced shovelware, but obviously it gets special treatment here at Nintendogaf because heaven forbid if you dare say aything about Nintendo.

Many thanks

>uncensor
Nothing meaningful for SMT game was censored.

I wouldn't have cared if it was just about a couple of lewd outfits, but I've been told there a few instances of writing and even level design being altered for the sake of pretending the game isn't about idols, and that does bother me

>I've been told

>maiden of black water

top kek, the order 1886 of the wiiu

Not him but why do you give a shit how he wants to play the game? Fuck off and let him play it how he wants.
Imagine being so much of a drone that you throw a hissyfit when someone says they want to play an undub.

Name me 15-20 3ds exclusives worth playing.

>undub
It wasn't dubbed in the first place. Jesus.

Pretty much the same shit, it fixes stuff that the Western version changed.
Anyways I'll ask again, why are you so assmad about it?

Are you saying I've been lied to? It was a thread of people that liked the game, and I've found videos and pics to confirm their words. We're talking things that alter the entire feel of certain

If you're only in for the pure gameplay then i guess any version is fine, but i also want to experience the story as it was intended

It's not great, but it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.