Which one is the better game ?

which one is the better game ?

Other urls found in this thread:

cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They both have their strengths. I would say without the lens of nostalgia, and not considering anything extraneous like the impact the games have had on the scene, and looking at them from 'if someone played them right now for the first time", hollow knight has more to offer. It's a longer game, has more mechanics, a more involved story, I personally think the art style is more interesting, I would say cave story wins in the music department, and they both do well in the extra character department, but I think hollow knight wins that one too.

I replayed cave story maybe a month ago, and played hollow knight a couple of weeks ago, so that's also my personal opinion.

That said, there's no reason not to enjoy both. They are both fantastic games.

cave story

i don't really want like a contrarian but cave story is just the better game,the gameplay design is good,the soudntrack is beatiful

hollow knight is just a really good game,but cave story is master piece

I want to say Cave Story but I wonder if that's just the nostalgia speaking

Hollow Knight doesn't have any good waifus, so there's that

Is cave story a metroidvania as well?

Never played it

You could see it as one. I am sure it is, but it utilizes a lot of teleportation to get around, many of the areas aren't directly connected in any way. Not to mention, the story is usually what pushes you to new places, not unlocking abilities.

If it is a metroidvania, it's the bare minimum of what it would take to be one.

I'd say cave story, even now. It had more intersting mechanics and the world just feels alot better. Also running hell is one of my favourite things in a game

>areas arent connected

Hmmm, well thats a downer but not bad if the areas themselves are still fun to explore and find secrets or whatever.

I like exploring in games mostly

Hollow Knight is a decent metroidvania, but it's not excellent

I like Hollow Knight more but for some reason I want to give this one to Cave Story
>no unity frame rate drops
>more varied combat available
>characters somewhat more memorable/unique

I fucking love Hollow Knight's art, atmosphere, setting, soundtrack, and even the characters. It's probably in my top 5 but I think Cave Story is the one I'd sooner recommend to someone else if I didn't know anything about their tastes

Cave Story

I have too much nostalgia for Cave Story to even make an unbiased answer. They're both pretty fucking great in their own ways.

> Not to mention, the story is usually what pushes you to new places, not unlocking abilities.

Might have to call shenanigans on this one. Maybe the second half of the game is story driven, but the entire first half is getting the different abilities necessary to access different areas. I would most definitely classify it as a Metroidvania

>doujin games
>taking the most universally loved game in that category
>indie games
picking the most ugly games made by some litterally who
not only this is bait but it's cherry picking as well

Cave Story is better.

Why are you responding to obvious bait in the first place.

>no unity frame rate drops
I dont get how this is a problem, I would avoid water because it kept cropping a frame on the splash effect after like halfway through the game.

New N Tasty was unity had I had zero frame drops despite it looking more graphically intense with explosions and meat bits flying around

to give him his daily dose of (You)

>Praising babby's first indie game

Cave Story ain't even good. It's literally just Metroid for furries full of WOOOOOOW bullshit like that worthless jetpack

I'd even rank it below Ori and way, waaaaaay below La Mulana

Hollow Knight but they both have too much backtracking

Cave Story. If Hollow Knight had as much inventiveness in it's gameplay as it did in it's setting and characters it would have a chance but it's just more "air dash, double jump, wall jump, etc, etc, yawn". The (great) open exploration aspect is also hampered by a lack of warps; I never want to climb up and down that fucking pit again.

Honestly, probably one of the best indie metroidvanias in terms of music and exploration is La Mulana, but whether the gameplay is good is kinda debateable.

Huh, I haven't played it, but it sounds like a 2D hyper light drifter, except with better storytelling. Is that accurate?

I am going to try to walk through this with my own memory
>start game, get gun so you can leave start area
>play game till you get jetpack in labyrinth, which is optional at this point, by now you have gotten a few guns and a map, but none of them open up new places the story hasn't.
>fight core, get air tank, which is basically a story progression item, and only opens up new areas in that you are absolutely forced to go there now
>if you didn't get the jetpack before, you can get the better one now
>if you kept the starting gun, you can get the super gun now
>proceed to end of game, with the end area being different depending on which version of the jetpack you have (or don't have if you kept the mask)
>super secret area only opens if you have the ultimate jetpack

The items you get control what other items you can get, but they don't in themselves open up exploration, just change how the exploration might be done.

Maybe my memory is shoddy

Does La Mulana have a map eventually?

Its probably one of the only ones I havent finished, but its always drawn me towards it with how mysterious the presentation is, because I wasnt taking notes the first time so I barely scratched the surface.

I want to go back but not sure I can take it if you have to draw maps and the whole game to not get lost since its far more complex than a normal matroid where you can just memorize the smallish map.

If by "gameplay" you mean "the action parts" that's clearly not the focus of the game

As far as, like, exploration and puzzles go, nothing else even comes close.

Once you get through the Confusion Gate (which can be rushed) you find an app that marks down more info on each room, like if there are any puzzles left to solve

Without a FAQ it's extremely necessary

No matter how critical I sounded, Hollow Knight was absolutely worth the $20 and 20 hours I spent on it. I just don't see myself replaying it.

Never finished HLD.

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

But cave story's gameplay is "Jump, shoot in 4 directions, jetpack in 4 directions" I agree that hollow knight needed more abilities to round it out, but cave story's moment tech is definitely nowhere as involved.

I will agree with the warp thing though. I hated having to trek to ancient basin so much. Why couldn't the stagway go there?

>you find an app

Hmm alright. If they keep giving you the tools to complete it as you go I definitely like that.

I'm guessing taking notes is required the whole game though so you can even solve certain puzzles?

>I hated having to trek to ancient basin so much. Why couldn't the stagway go there?

Eh I didnt mind once you got the tram pass. Getting back up though. God why wasnt there some sort of secret path that made it quick as hell

>crazy cat lady fantasy: the game
no thanks

It's pretty close, but the super secret area bonus dungeon only opens if you have the badge curly gives you after rescuing her and restoring her memory, in addition to the ultimate jetpack. Also, even if you gave up the starting gun, the things you get are still improvements. The best gun really only helps for the bonus boss.

>movement tech is the only aspect of gameplay.

Cave Story easily wins out in it's diversity of weapons, enemies, and platforming challenges.

Overall probably Hollow Knight
Hollow Kight has some awful gameplay decisions and like the fucking stags, maps and bench to save systems.
In terms of atmosphere, art and characters though it is far beyond any metriodvania i've seen before. The gameplay is roughly about the same in both games, I like Cave Stories bosses a bit more though.

Taking notes is mandatory, and even then you'd probably need a guide to finish the game. There is an in-game app that lets you record a set number of conversations or tablet text, but I don't remember where you get it.

As much as the game really delves into the "not fun" levels of difficulty sometimes, I still have massive respect for it.

Same. It's fiendishly, horrendously difficult, but that just makes it feel more like a real adventure.

Alright thanks for putting up with all my questions.

Its always been a goal for me to beat tit one day. Maybe I'll start it up again after I try cave story since thats clearly easier lol.

Any particular version thats better to play? I dont care about graffix, just gameplay.

What's wrong with stags and benches? Save points and fast travel rooms are a standard in Metroidvanias, no?

Cave story does have more weapons, but hollow knight's charm system allows hollow knight to adapt to situations better. I would consider that a tradeoff.
It definitely doesn't have more enemies, and the enemies in hollow knight are a lot more adaptive to what you do in relation to them. I would say the bosses are also more involved. I don't think any of the bosses in cave story compare to things like lost kin or soul tyrant. Ballos might be a better true final boss fight, but I have to admit that I don't remember the ballos fight very well.
Both game's platforming challenges aren't noteworthy till the very end of the game. I think hollow knights general platforming is better, but I do think cave story's sanctuary is a more demanding place than the white palace though (and has a cooler theme)

I've only played the La Mulana remake, which was enough of a pain; most people say the original was even harder. I thought the remake looked and sounded great, but you're probably better off hearing about it from someone who's played both.

fuck lost kin btw

Stags are sometimes just terriblely positioned and the whole ordeal of them just takes too long. The benches again are mostly horribly postioned and remdind me of Metriod Fusion

Just fucking go full ham on him. I spent about 4 hours trying to fight him avoding his hits but just just brutalizing him makes him ezpz

I imagined the bench placement is to make you work out the best possible arrangement of charms, instead of something that would let players just change layout every time they died to a boss.

I don't much like it and felt it was annoying, but I could see what they might have been going for.

The stagways don't feel like they are place too badly in each area, the problem becomes that they are too far from one another. Even with the super dash and all the movement abilities, sometimes it's just goddamn annoying to get somewhere.

I can forgive the game for these, but I do know the feeling.

Apparently using the heroic scent charms makes the fight easier. I just kept trying until I got gud enough. Lost my shit a couple of times though.

I thought he was the Capra Demon of this game, then I met Fallen Champion.

Hollow Knight is possibly the best 2d game ever created, no contest.

>most people say the original was even harder
fug

I'll stick to the remake

They needed to have more places you use the super dash thing to fly.

For example when you get to the end of ZM you get space jump and screw attack that let you make those last few shortcuts between areas usually in combo with a shine spark or 2.

Theres very few in HK and they arent particularly well placed, acting more as one time shortcuts than throughways to navigate the world faster.

Hollow Knight is good, but nothing beats Cave Story

Yeah I used the beetle creator and scent badge which combo into minibombs that take out the spores while I spammed on him. My main issue with doing ti properly is ith the scents, once you hit the third or forth stage and the blobs become more frequent the game has slowdowns, atleast on my computer

Hollow Knight for Switch when?

No, As much as I like the game it is far too short compared to the other two. It also doesn't help that Fennel is the only memorable boss and that arrows break the game far too easily.

I love Cave Story too much to not say it's better. I'm too biased on this.

>people in this thread not passing judgement because they realize they're probably biased due to nostalgia
>others are fairly comparing and contrasting different elements from each game
Are cave story fans the best people on Sup Forums?

Nigga get on that shit, its free
cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php