Alan Wake

Now that the sale has made Alan Wake relevant again, what did you think of it?

I just beat it (sans DLC) and I had fun playing. The combat was really, really shallow (most of the later encounters can literally just be sprinted through to the next checkpoint with a flare or two), and the writing was sometimes clunky (Mr. Scratch) but I enjoyed the characters and the setting.

Was tempted to quit following every single fucking "jumpscare" the game LOVED to throw at me.

gameplay was shit
story was okayish really
alan was a really unlikable character and others were kinda forgetable

Shit game that just imps Lynchian themes and aesthetics with little originality and mediocre gameplay.

Truly shit.

>The combat was really, really shallow

Didn't help that there were only like 3 enemies.

Alan Wake was ahead of it's time.

It was supposed to be an episodic game (As you can tell by the chapters) and have a much larger open world and enemy variety complete with shadow wolves/deer and stuff. But Remedy was a new studio without any money. That with it releasing next to RDR made it flop. Shame too, it is a good, unique game and at the time it was in a world full of generic FPS's.

comfy

tiresome gameplay, would have honestly worked better as a walking simulator/light horror game

>it was in a world full of generic FPS's

Yes user, a generic third person shooter was in a world full of generic FPS games.

The superspeed enemies were fucking pointless. They never bothered to actually run up and attack you so I just ran right on by.

The references are neat and the gameplay is alright. Graphics are good except for the facial animations.
Not really that hard even for the achievement challenges. Only thing worth doing on a replay is finding the missing pages on Nightmare mode.

fuck off weeb. Until you can give me a list of +5 games released before 2011 that have a Stephen King/Twilight Zone vibe and you use light to defeat enemies you can fuck off.

It's a good game first time around, but the flaws of the game become highly apparent on any subsequent playthroughs. There isn't any proper replay value either since nearly all the collectibles are meaningless and the only thing that changes with difficulty is enemy "hp" and the damage they do. And since there won't be any suspense in the plot to keep you interested second time around, you're left with the combat. And like I said, you really start noticing exactly how boring it can be then. At least you can skip many combat encounters.
The PC port of the game is really good though and it still looks really nice in some parts, even if some textures are clearly xbox360-tier. I also remember the DLCs being decent, but haven't replayed them yet.

What I really don't get is why this game has about 9/10 rating in the press and in Steam user reviews. It's a decent game alright, but it's short, has poor replayvalue, story is good but not amazing. I'm a Remedy fanboy and I think it's a 8/10 at best. If I wanted to be edgy, I'd call it Max Payne for nu-males.

Top kek, so you think a game changes drastically when coated with a different coat of paint then?

There was a time when I only played a handful of games too.

that's what I thought. is that way.

And is that way, fag.

AW was a good game but nothing really amazing. Gameplay was good enough but lacked any depth on how it approached its enemy encounters. Enemy variety was shit and it lacked weapon variety and its selection was very basic. (seriously, no molotovs or any kind of fire weapon to produce light?)
Story was OK, nothing truly amazing but entertaining enough. The DLC really showed what remedy are known for and i think those 2 sections are the best part of the game.

Incredibly fucking boring. And this is what Lake was doing? Was quantum break any better than this snoozefest?

Decent at best. Go to point A then B where is the next light. That's it.

And since I already played Silent Hill 2 the story was nothing special either.

it was a really REALLY shallow tps dressed up as a horror game with good but bland graphics

if it didnt have exclusive status for a while no one would remember it

Loved the game for the story, suspense, atmosphere, world building, etc

Combat and gameplay was generally lame, but became improved and more varied in the DLC's.

Expansion was just as fun, with the same quality of atmosphere and worldbuilding as the original, but with a different tone.

Recommend this to anyone that likes a good mix of comfy and spooky- things like the Twilight Zone, Stephen King, Twin Peaks.

I liked it, good story that isnt just told straight out to you, gotta fill in some of the blanks with shit you learn. Gameplay was meh, same tier as most RE games. Only played the base game, dont remember having the dlc on 360, what does it change exactly?

If by DLC you mean you haven't played the last two chapters, you really should. The DLC not only wraps up the plot, but it has some of the best level design and set pieces.

I love all the Max Payne references.

I really enjoyed it the first time I played it. The writing wasn't great, but I had question the entire game on what the fuck was going on and whether anything happening was real or not.
Use of music, and backgrounds were very unique, and as long as peoples faces weren't moving everything looks really nice (besides the motion blur).

Coming back to it, I don't like the facial animations at all, but I do thing the combat gets far too much slack. I personally found it tense and fun on my first playthrough and have plenty of memorable moments from the game.

If it had a sequel and people understood that the writing is supposed to be pretentious then I think it could have been a great game.

8/10 First playthrough

6.5/10 revisiting

The David Lynch aspect is supposed to be more of a reference rather than part of the story. It's a fictional Stephen King book made into a game.

>Remedy was a new studio without any money.

stop talking shit you utter retard

the gameplay was absolute bollocks and could not save the interesting story and setting

Can anyone recommend me a game like this? I mean set in a comfy small town.

>new
Nigger, they released Max Payne nearly a decade prior. I think they just failed to make the open world thing work properly, so they just chopped it down to their usual 3 enemy stylish shooting game.

Remedy can only make one game, and Quantum Break further solidifies this.

DLC was terrible

>tfw even this game scares me
How do I not be a pussy at horror games

i think it was an excellent concept but poorly executed, combat was too action oriented and Alan was way too calm most of the time

played it a while ago, i think it's the most annoying repetitive shit i've ever played in recent history, didn't ever bother to finish it, even though i abandoned it near the last part

>microsoft is still selling digital copies of Alan Wake in their store
Can music jews sue them now?

i bought and tried it but i just can't get into it.

the camera is absolutely horrendous having alan wake at constant right/left making it feels weird.

i'm at the part where the cabin's light cut off and his gf jumped (?) into water.
the story doesn't make sense and doesn't interests me yet.

Alien isolation do a better job at building up atmosphere than throwing random non-scary shit that only confuses you instead.

i love this game and the dlc

The atmosphere is the top reason to play this game. Plot being second, just to find out what the hell is going on. It captures a twin peaks feel so well despite not having much in common besides the location. Watching the scary door episodes were always great fun, and that one setpiece with the rock concert was incredibly refreshing.

That being said, the gameplay isn't all that interesting, the environments are usually mediocre, and the camera always felt just a little bit off.

The story is good if you never read, or if you have a really big hard-on for, Stephen King. The whole "somebody wrote what is going to happen" scenario means nothing gameplay-wise, and very little story-wise; it's basically just an excuse to have the plot skip through time and space and have trippy stuff happen. The antagonist is the most generic, uninteresting and unthreatening things you could possibly imagine.

There's something about the way the game looks and feels I adore. Maybe it's the fact that the camera is pulled a bit further back than I normally expect, so everything looks a bit smaller? Also really good attention to detail, sweet atmosphere and everything.

The gameplay starts feeling super repetitive very soon. Exploration is pointless, the "chapter" structure is fucking retarded and the recaps are especially aggravating: they would be useful if you could stop playing between chapters, as a reminder for the next time you started the game; as they are they just re-explain what you JUST saw for no reason.