Fire emblem thread

So I heard the story and characters and OST are great. But the gameplay/maps are kinda bad. How bad and are they worse then fates? I found Conquest kinda boring for its shit writing like alot of people, and while awakening was my first FE game, after playing the older ones I did not like it as much anymore. Should I get this game? Top 3 fire emblem games are FE4, FE6 and the first Ike game.

tl;Dr is this game worse then the newer 3ds fire emblem games?

They are absolutely worse than Fates. Simply put

>Conquest has great gameplay but shit story
>SoV has a great story but shit gameplay

Also I wouldn't say the characters are 'great'. They are less gimmicky but most are also rather bland and underdeveloped.

I fell as if people saying conquest has great gameplay is a bit much but, whatever. How and why and what makes Echoes gameplay worse? No pairing and forced children is a step up in my opnion. If only they can bring back weapon degradation.

The map design is worse than Fates but the rest of the gameplay mechanics are a lot better.

Archers in general are better and mages aren't so broken anymore.

I'm also not forced into turning half of my army into backpacks like in Fates.

Ok so its just the map design is kinda bad. What makes it bad? Are the maps really hard/unfair or just kinda bland and boring? One of my favorite maps in FE is the "light tower" one in FE6 where this mages keep on pelting you with light magic. Shits tense as fuck. I love FE6 alot

Eh I'm most buying it for the story anyway. Gameplay does look simpler but it's interesting to me since I haven't played an FE before FE7.

The game is bit too loyal to Gaiden in regards to map-design. They remade pic-related tile for tile in Echoes. And although they try to amend this by changing how ranged units fight (like making archers inherently have longer range and the ability to fight back in close combat or making mages lose hp when they attack), it still won't fix the fact that most of the maps are fucking flat as hell.

The removal of the weapon triangle also makes it so that archers are shit again despite having 5 range. Also no status debuffs and the AI is retarded again like pre-Conquest games,

Don't know why but I'm excited about it. Is it a great FE game? Maybe not but the idea of a much smaller story interest me and I'm really hopeful that FE4 and 5 are next.

From what I can gather Gaiden was the marmite of the series: some loved it some hated it

>no weapon triangle
what the fuck? Maybe I won't get this game after all. And ill just stick to the older titles I guess.

It's a faithful remake for better/worse I guess. The only thing they seem to add are support and some tinkering with some of the mechanics but nothing as big as adding the triangle.

Haven't really touched the NES game since I feel I really would hate the UI and other QoL so I can't say what my feelings toward Gaiden. Seem the main issue are maps which I get. But I am interested in how it honestly feels like and honestly happy IS is doing the whole Echoes line.

Yeah the series didn't introduce the weapon triangle until Genealogy so just wait until they do a Genealogy remake if you like that mechanic (if SoV manages to be successful enough to convince IS to remake Genealogy)

Which game would you guys rather they had remade?

Why did they descide to remake what most fans considered one of the worst FE games?
FE4 or FE5 since the translations are still garbage. FE4 is my second favorite.

Genealogy my nigga

Whole reason why I'm buying instead of pirating SoV despite having a hacked 3DS is just so I can see that game get remade

It seems IS wants to remake the series working their way up from the beginning. They already remade Marth's story with Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem, so logically Gaiden is next

6/7 duology
If they gotta start from the bottom though then whatever. I liked Gaiden and love Echoes

FE 4 or 5 since it's the one that both haven't been out here and also seriously needs a localization (since both fan translations are shit with 5 being pretty much illegible at times). Also adding pair up in FE4 with it's giant maps would be a god spend to me. Do wonder if they are going to change anything in FE5 to make it easier or will they keep the difficulty and just put in the QoL that the newer games have.

>Fire Emblem Echoes could have been held back by its need to usher the second iteration back into the fold, but it still feels like a fresh new entry. It is weaker than the last few games, but those bars were set so high that I won't hold that against it.
Ahahahah oh fuck off reviewers.

but archers were great in fates and mages were shit
what the fuck are you smoking

I want each jap only game to come here,but I really really want 8 with an MU,new difficulty, and waifu stuff

Meh, I'd rather IS just adds Rescue to Genealogy. Pair up ruins gameplay by turning half your army into stat backpacks for your other half.

>Archers in general are better and mages aren't so broken anymore
Is this a fucking joke
HAVE YOU FUCKERS EVEN PLAYED FATES, THEY ARE ONE OF THE FEW FE GAMES WHERE ARCHERS ARE ACTUALLY USEFUL

I mixed the wording up. My bad.

Fuck the paring system honestly.

Fates pair-up is one of the best mechanics they added to the series. Makes unit positioning even more important and having enemies abuse it doesn't make it so that the player as such a large advantage.

What made them even that good in the first place.

Finally adding them to the triangle for one. Also there seem to be a few arts that helps. Takumi is one of the strongest character in that game.

They're basically long range axes units with high accuracy.

Oh so with "archers" you specifically mean "snipers", not just any bow user.

Bows were added into the weapon triangle and were strong weapons and the archers you got in general were good units.
It also helps(?) that magic got completely shit on.

>It also helps(?) that magic got completely shit on.
Just because of the low might of tomes or for some other reason?

Bows were actually legit strong weapons in Fates along with axes, if not stronger. Unlike axes though they didn't have low hit to offset this.
The archers were also decent to good units.

Archers are good in general. Mozume, Takumi, and Setsuna are units worth using.

Post your favorite FE map since Echoes has shit-tier maps

Tomes were weak and had a lot of bullshit after effects. Like, who the fuck would use Speed Thunder?
It also didn't help that your mage units in general were really shit besides Leo.

Only bows are more accurate than axes but the only half decent bow user is Niles, yumis are as bad as axes and that's what you'll have to use in BR unles you mess around with MyCastle.

This map was so good they reused it in Fates and Awakening

It's still generally a good idea to keep a magic unit around just in case a low res enemy shows up. Fates turned mages into a niche class instead of an all-around nuke class with no weaknesses like Awakening (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

>No pairing and forced children is a step up in my opnion.
Pair-Up in Fates was a good mechanic and children are completely optional, how are they "forced"?

>How bad and are they worse then fates?
Conquest's maps take a fat shit on Gaiden, Gaiden has some of the worst maps in the series. Completely uninspiring and not difficult at all.

FE2 is a game that's already fucking out. You could do the bare minimum of research and know this.

>Supportss are a shit shot

No kidding. Lukas has only one fuckign support for some reason.

Weapon Triangle in Gaiden would be pointless because there's no playable axe users.

Gaiden NEVER had Weapon Triangle retard.

>Awakening
uh?

how about

you fucking re introduce axes

I made a mistake, I was thinking of another map.

I really want to see how they handle FE5. Outside of Gaiden FE5 is such a weird thing that gets even weirder in Tear Ring Saga.

I thought Fates gameplay was ruined by the fact that it was comically easy

This has to be bait right? Because you'd be changing the entire fucking game and introducing game-defining mechanics that the game was not built for. This isn't as simple as putting in a rescue movement in FE4 or something to help mitigate map size.

Do you people want faithful remakes or not? You'd all be flipping your shit if they made FE4 and 5 more like Awakening/Fates. Don't make massive changes to Gaiden.

Fuck off

Axes do exist in Gaiden already retard. They belong to an enemy only class and you'd have to do far more than just adding one or two characters or shrinking maps for the game to accommodate them and the weapon triangle.

>everyone told me to promote the villagers right away in my nip run
>realized you can grind in the Thief's Shrine easy in my eng run
>get all of them to 20 and promote
>now Alm doesn't have to carry everyone
Faye has 14 res and 23 atk as a cleric and archer Tobin can actually hit shit what the fuck. Game is bad btw OP. Don't kid yourself.

>expecting IS to remake a game well without some monkey's paw effect going on

lol

>people actually asking for Geneology

FE4 is piss easy.

FE5 or nothing.

>Do you people want faithful remakes or not
No. This is way everyone hates Echoes and Shadow Dragon. Instead of being faithful, they should make a good game first.

I just want to experience the big country-wide maps again.

I don't honestly see what would be so complicate about adding some new character and switching one of the 1000 mercenaries to a (not) new fighter class. Sounds to me they were just too lazy and they preferred to literally copypaste everything from Gaiden.

>reinforcements from behind
>have to defend tahra with glade and generic units made of paper

and also which comes right after. it's just a very solid pair of back to back maps. sadly I can't enjoy modern fire emblem because i've been spoiled

Currently near the end of Chapter 2. I don't think the gameplay is bad, but it's definitely different. It feels less like traditional Fire Emblem and leans more towards the RPG side. Maps are definitely bland, but I haven't run into anything egregious yet. Overall I'm enjoying it a lot, but it's definitely not for everyone.

>Shadow Dragon
>Faithful

If Shadow Dragon was faithful then Clerics wouldn't even be able to get exp from healing and half of the classes couldn't even promote. Not to mention that it added weapon triangle, gaiden missions, reclassing and supports (but no conversations).

>Favourite FE4
Now I know you have shit taste.

Mini Bows, Sidelong Yumi and Shining Bow

What new thing would an axe user bring to the table aside from just being dread fighters with a different weapon? The class pool might be small, but each of them have a clearly defined role and I don't see what axe users can bring to the table that other classes can't already do. I think Alm could do with some of Celica's dread fighters since she has so much, but aside from that I don't think there is anything wrong with the way weapons and classes work.

Having a working weapon triangle would be enough of an improvement.

Literally not the main problem here, that main problem lies with your availible magic users with the only decent ones being Elise, Leo and possibly Sakura, also Hayato in Revelations.

you never listen anti-waifu fags that's what you get for acting the micky. enjoy your last retro shitblem from now on its all about avatars and waifu's.
NEVER FORGET THAT AWAKENING SAVED THE FRANCHISE YOU PATHETIC NOSTALGIA FAGS.

that's non-conquest fates

The game isn't built around the weapon triangle. It's built around the terrain. The whole point is the take advantage of it as much as possible while blasting magic at the foes who are on it. Besides the weapon triangle starts to mean very little when your units get going. I know for sure that no one gives a fuck if they are pitting someone like Hector, Ike, Ryouma or Xander against a foe that have a weapon strong against theirs because of just how strong those characters are. The only time I ever gave a shit is near the start when everyone is weak or if the enemy has a breaker skill.

user, 99% of the thread has been about gameplay and map design. Can we please keep it that way?

fucking normalfags ruining this franchise. I knoe echoes may not be very appealing for casuals but true emblem fans will buy and support it. DO IT FOR FE4

I'll do it for FE5

>it took until the last map of chapter 1 to get a proper layout
Please tell me it stays that way.

>Awakening is a 92 game.

How, just HOW ?

fuck you weebs it aint over yet

>I knoe echoes may not be very appealing for casuals

Echoes was literally made for casuals.

>not liking the scale that FE4 brings
>not liking it's story and plot and how your children continue your legacy

And FE6 is my all time favorite but FE4 is my second. Close second maybe idk. Ikes first gsme is great.

Nope. The good maps are few and far between. And by good I mean the maps that aren't just a wide open space.

if you compare it with gaiden yes but if you compare it with nu emblem waifu simulator then no

>I knoe echoes may not be very appealing for casuals
Not only all maps are made by 5 year olds, you can also grind forever for free on dungeons.
Echoes is the casualest

FE5's maps vary so much in quality, like some maps are pretty good and really challenge your skills with the game's mechanics while others are just complete bullshit like chapter 24x.

How can you like FE4 and FE6 when they're like the opposite of each other?

No, actually If you compare it with Conquest its a literal downgrade. Really if you compare it to even Birthright and despite both having free grinding, Birthright is still harder on Lunatic.

I'll never understand the hate for awakening and fates. are all old fags a bunch of whiny raging faggots? ehats wrong having sexy chicks following you in battle? too unrealistic? its a fucking videogame jesus christ. also nobody told me there would be no MU and pvp. echoes is fucking shit

>How can you like chocolate and steak. They are different things

Not him but wow.

Actually ever since Echoes been announced (and I guess Heroes being it's own thread) it's been more and more about gameplay and map design and other things not waitfu center. Even if Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia is the worse FE it at least made people talk more and more about gameplay for which I'm happy for.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAno
The few maps that do have proper layouts are also the more harder or bullshit ones in the game.

No pvp sucks but who cares about no mu? Mu is cancer. Also I prefer gameplay > waifus
Waifu fags ruin whatever they touch . Awakening is kinda thrash becuase the pair up system was trash in that game. Conquest fun gameplay but man the writing makes you regret watching those cutscenes. It's one of the few if only games where I recommend you aught to skip the story. Am not saying classic FE story's were great. They were simple but good since they did their job right. Conquest written and story is shit. Ost is forgotable as well. But awakening ost was bretty good.

What do you mean user? I can't like FE4 or FE6 becuase they do different things well? I never heard of this.

just finished downloading it but of the reviews I've seen on metacritic fe switch is going to turn into an utter piss fest if echoes is really that easy because a major complain of the critics is that even with high levels they having a hard time beating the game

So is FE1, but they add it in the remake (Shadow Dragon)...retard.

Echoes starts easy, but it gets harder as it goes on. You'll have to be dammed careful when dealing with stuff like the medusa or megaquake map.

"Please buy our DLC"

I'm just surprised to find someone who likes two FE games that are completely different from each other design wise. Usually you hate one and like the other. Maybe I'm just more surprised that it's FE6 of all things when I usually see people pair FE4 with FE7 or FE9 as their favorites.

> caring about plot in a fe game
yes awakening was broken but fates managed to fix most of the stuff. Mu is fun and is what makes fire emblem so charming taking it away now and keep it exclusive for awakening and fates is a big mistake.
waifu's are fucking fun fuck off whats so bad about having a game with character depth??? most fe didnt had any memorable char most of the time or were straight up one dimensional.

Just started the game this morning. Should I class change as soon as possible or max my villagers first?

there is no pvp If you play lunatic change immediately

Wait so let me get this straight. You say that gameplay > waifus, but if Fates (Conquest) had good gameplay, then why does that matter?

FE always had waifus. People just like to think otherwise based on what is convenient for their argument. I dunno how good Echoes is on the waifu front by comparison, though so far there's no one I'm particularly fond of.

And yeah, people do care about plot. In fact, the FE fanbase seems to prefer plot to gameplay.