First time getting into RPGs. Is this a good game to start?

First time getting into RPGs. Is this a good game to start?

Other urls found in this thread:

gog.com/mix/gog_role_playing_games_in_chronological_order
gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/hack-slash-term-definition-31227512/
gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/would-you-call-dark-souls-a-hack-n-slash-31231516/
gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/69173/what-are-the-differences-between-an-hack-slash-and-a-beat-em-up
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For kids, yes.

>First time getting into RPGs.
>Is this hack&slash game that has nothing to do with actual RPGs good game to start?

The game is awesome, but i think its not suitable for a first timer, also get a bro to play with, it makes it around 5 times better.

It's a pretty awesome game with a great combat system. However most of the classic CRPGs have less interesting combat but more complex story writing. You should definitely play D:OS, but also pick up something like Pillars of Eternity, Planescape Torment, KOTOR etc.

The best rpg for anybody to start with is unarguably chrono trigger

>pick all squares with vehicles

Fuck off Google I don't want your insane AIs driving my car

>hack&slash
>anime reaction image
When you NEED to show people you have no idea what youre talking about.

>most of the classic CRPGs have less interesting combat
This is how you spot the lariancuck. Apart from the abusable and imbalanced as fuck environmental effects, the game has added nothing new to the genre combat wise.

Name me three instances where your previous character build choices provide you alternative ways to progress in this h&s turd and think carefully if you want to bring up Charisma.

Well, sure. Because every single rpg you play after that gonna be a thousand times better
So ya, starting with the worst one is a good choice.

Care to give off a recommendation rather than providing useless opinion?

>Care to give off a recommendation
Not him, but start with the classics, because they are classics for a reason: Fallout 1&2, Arcanum and Planescape: Torment are Holy Trinity of the genre.

It's babby's first WRPG.

It also has the only good battle system of any WRPG ever.

>It also has the only good battle system of any WRPG ever.
Wrong. See

That's fairly hardcore as far as modern RPGs go. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't.

nope, it gets boring as shit after the first chapter it's pretty boring up until that point anyway.

this would be 10/10 if the UI was improved and it didn't crash and corrupt your saves at random

My recomendaiton is BG2 but you should look up a FAQ or something before starting it

Don't listen to those nerds one-upping each other over who's more hardcore like that idiot calling it a game for kids, that is a horrible game to get into RPGs. It's extremely user-unfriendly and you'll drop it within two hours.

I will probably get crucified for this, but if I were you, I'd start with something like Dragon Age: Inquisition.

>I'd start with something like Dragon Age: Inquisition.
>recommending the absolute fucking worst DA game that is literally a single player MMO
Neck yourself, you could have at least said DA:O.

>h&s turd
It's a fucking turn based game you literal retard

>I will probably get crucified for this, but if I were you, I'd start with something like Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Because you're trolling.

Go with Dragon Age: Origins. It was Bioware's last good game.

Long campaign, lots of replay value with tons of choices and consequences, good plot, modern enough to not feel too dated, combat is acceptable (not good but still serviceable), and you can choose your "Origins" and play completely different characters in each playthrough.

Why do you do this every time. Did you work at Larian and get fired for being an autist?

Of course DA:O is better than DA:I, but at least he won't get scared away by the outdated graphics and difficulty spikes and it's also not as much better as your nostalgia as well as the fact that DA:O was ahead of its times whereas DA:I behind them, makes you believe.

>thinks h&s refers to the type of combat system that a game has
You know nothing of the genre, mongoloid, shut your retarded mouth.

>Why do you do this every time.
Because I got memed into buying this shitty game by dumbfucks saying it was an actual RPG. Worst 30 bux I've ever spent.

>instances where your previous character build choices provide you alternative ways to progress

That's easy, the kind of characters you make will always give you more strategy options. For example if you put points into the charisma stat, there's a small chance you can talk your way out of fighting the super strong sourcerer guard sunbathing in front of the witches cave, or just in general depending on your characters you can position and strategize before a fight, or use the surroundings to your advantage in different ways...

If you mean story-wise, that's not necessary for a CRPG per se, and it's possible to have that in a hack & slash, so I'd say your evaluation and categorization process is out of wack. A turn-based game is not a hack & slash by default. You could maybe argue Diablo 1 & 2 are 'hack&slash', but even in those it's kind of a weird way to describe them, since they're isometric action RPG and you can also use magic and not slash anything. You seem to use hack and slash as an insult, that's weird too. D:OS isn't hack&slash but if it was it wouldn't mean it's a bad game. GoW and DMC can both be seen as H&S but that doesn't mean they're the same quality or even types of games overall.

But it's fun

>>thinks h&s refers to the type of combat system that a game has
>You know nothing of the genre, mongoloid, shut your retarded mouth.

kill yourself you idiot

>thinks it doesn't

>Because I got memed into buying this shitty game by dumbfucks saying it was an actual RPG. Worst 30 bux I've ever spent.

This is the age of internet and youtube. You have no excuse for your buyers remorse, you should have informed yourself beyond the opinion of some people.

Played DA:O recently with a few mods and loved it. It's not a bad game even by modern standards

>For example if you put points into the charisma stat, there's a small chance you can talk your way out of fighting the super strong sourcerer guard sunbathing in front of the witches cave
Absolutely wrong, I specifically wrote to think carefully when mentioning charisma. Charisma has absolutely NO effect on the alternative quest solutions or ways of progress available to you, because you can access all charisma-dependent alternative quest solutions without investing a single point in charisma. This is achieved in two ways: buying or finding random gear with charisma bonuses (that actually stack, because Larian are fucking retarded) and actually being good or lucky at the RPS minigame. Personally, by the time I've elft Cyseal, I already had enough random items with charisma bonuses that game me an overall boost of +5 and this was enough to pass EVERY SINGLE CHARISMA CHECK IN THE GAME WITHOUT INVESTING A SINGLE POINT IN CHARISMA. So no, Charisma absolutely does NOT affect the availability of alternative quest solutions in the game.

The only character building choices that affect alternative quest solutions are the character traits you pick up during conversation. These traits are Independent and Forgiving and these two traits allow you to get alternative quest solutions for Beardaughter's and Madora's personal quests respectively.

That's it, there are EXACTLY TWO INSTANCES OF ROELPLAYING IN THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME. Calling this h&s turd a RPG is a fucking crime against the genre.

>story-wise
Story has nothing to do with roleplaying. Roleplaying is defined as the possibility to solve various situations in the game in various ways, based on how you have built your character and D:OS has almost no roleplaying. It's a pure h&s game.

Dumbfuck, if you think a h&s game cannot be turn-based you know literally nothing of the genre. The very definition of h&s comes from turn based games, you fucking shitter. Neck yourself.

>thinks it doesn't
Of course it doesn't, you fucking shitstain, because the term "h&s" originated from PnP campaigns that focused on dungeon crawling and collecting phat loot, not on actual roleplaying. The term was defined before you were even born, you fucking mongoloid.

>Original Sin
>hack and slash

You fucking what?

Nigger I don't give a shit about your abritary P&P definition of a hack and slash, in videogames it describes real time melee combat, now fuck off you sperg

It's a great game, and not a hack & slash.

>I found +stat items so that stat is useless
It's like saying lockpicking is useless because you can find a key. There isn't only one way to play the game, a dude who invested in charisma will never have to buy/craft/find and carry charisma gear.

And a munchkin is originally a native of the Munchkin Country in wizards of Oz but you don't see me sperging out every time somebody mentions munchkins outside of that context in PnP.

>your abritary
>my definition
Shitstain, the term was defined long ago by people who actually made PnP RPG systems back in the day. It is YOUR arbitrary definition of the term that is irrelevant.

>As false to the game form as the pre-scripted "story," is play that has little more in it than seek and destroy missions, vacuous effort where the participants fight and kill some monster so as to gain more power and thus be able to look for yet more potent opponents in a spiral that leads nowhere save eventual boredom. So pure hack and slash play is anathema to me too.

Google who said this and memorize every fucking word, you dumb underage bitch.

Read the thread, dumbfuck.

>a dude who invested in charisma will never have to buy/craft/find and carry charisma gear.
A dude who invested in charisma wasted character progression points, because he is fucking retarded and could not buy charisma boosting items from vendors that restock their inventory on every level up. And even if you don't use any charisma boosting items, you can still pass many checks by simply playing the RPG minigame until you succeed.

Again, the game allows you to pass a single charisma check without investing a single point in charisma, making those charisma dependent alternative quest solutions and ways of progress charisma independent. It's fucking hilarious how incompetent the dumbfucks at larian are.

>the RPG minigame
*the RPS minigame.

Bots
if you are autistic as me you will keep track of multiple threads and how they always get the same kind of replies

>Munchkin
This is not about being a munchkin and gaming the system, this is very simple logic and you have to intentionally gimp yourself in order to not use the features provided by the game. Charisma boosting bonuses stack, this is an in-game effect and not a bug, it was never fixed in any versions of the game. The game provides you with shitloads of random loot and vendors very early on, so you can max out your charisma without investing a single point in it before leaving cyseal.

Someone itt is going out of the way for attention.

PnP "gameplay" terms don't apply to video games
go play DnD and then stab yourself you sad shitstain

I'm talking about munchkins because is crying about terms being able to have more than one definition.

Also charisma is literally the least useful stat to max. m8 what are you even doing bragging about maxing that shit.

Don't waste your time responding to that autist. To him nothing but the three or four games he likes is an RPG, and he'll sperg out if you disagree with him. We are talking about someone who writes walls of text about how Baldur's Gate 2 is a hack and slash game that only retards believe is an RPG. Really, just leave him be. This goes way deeper than just shitty opinions, this is literal autism.

It's a weird place to start if you're playing alone. You're basically playing two people at once in it.

>Also charisma is literally the least useful stat to max. m8 what are you even doing bragging about maxing that shit.
You have the reading comprehension of a 9 year old. My point is that you do not need to invest even a single point in charisma to obtain all charisma dependent alternative quest solutions and ways of progress in the game. You can max out charisma just with random items from vendors or loot. With alternative ways of progress being dependent on your character build choices, the game stops being a RPG and turns into a h&s shitfest, which is exactly what D:OS is.
>PnP "gameplay" terms don't apply to video games
Your retarded opinion does not apply to reality, mongoloid. The first RPGs were attempts at emulating the dungeon crawling aspect of PnP RPGs. Computer RPGs were born out of PnP RPGs. Everything that applies to PnP RPGs applies to computer RPGs as well, because computer RPGs are still attempts at emulating the PnP RPG experience, they just try to emulate the both the roleplaying and dungeon crawling aspects nowadays or at least the actually good RPGs do.

>Baldur's Gate 2 is a hack and slash game
That's precisely what it is. Care to name me 3 instances in BG2 where alternative ways of progress, alternative quest solutions or at the very least alternative fucking quest rewards depend on the ways you build your character and prove that it's actually a RPG?

>With alternative ways of progress being dependent on your character build choices, the game stops being a RPG
*With NO alternative ways of progress being dependent on your character build choices, the game stops being a RPG

Absolutely not and I loved that game. It's very quirky and lacking in many areas.

DA:O is probably a good babby's first RPG. That or New Vegas if you prefer solo to team games.

You are literally the only person on this board that would call a turn based game a hack and slash, let that sink in.

>You are literally the only person on this board that would call a turn based game a hack and slash
Nu-Sup Forums is filled with 'Dex refugees, so no.

Everyone else is wrong!

I've only played Divine Divinity (and loved what I did play of it) and the first couple hours of Divinity II. They are both great little games and there is something to Larian that makes people passively like them.
To the guy bashing the game - you are a retard and you only have yourself to blame for why your life is so miserable
To OP go with it if you want but I'd go for something more mainstream honestly if you are just getting into the genre. You'll like Original Sin I think, but you may have to restructure how you play games if you are just now diving into role playing games. Here are some suggestions split by western and japanese (the japanese ones will lean on western design)
Western
>Fallout: New Vegas - your stats and how you manage them have a great impact on gameplay. Your non-combat skills will also have an effect
>Neverwinter Nights 2 - good old modular rpg with good old p+p style gameplay.
>Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - This IS a hack and slash, but will fulfill the vibe of a rpg quite well for the little gametime the game has. This IS a hack and slash and slip and kick, be aware.
Eastern
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song - not great for beginners, but if you can parse this baby you can play any rpg. Very open structure like a western rpg and very structured gameplay.
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - pretty traditional with actual branching paths toward the end.
Sorry the japanese ones aren't good options off the top of my head and I don't even know if you wanted japanese stuff so feel free to disregard.

It's a good game but it might be overwhelming for a first timer. the game doesn't hold your hand at all.

I wouldn't recommend it. At its core D:OS is a co-op game. It can be played alone, but controlling both characters will never stop being awkward and unsatisfying.

I don't want to say that you should start with a single character rpg instead of a party-based, because if you have ever played a strategy game you are more than ready for party-based. But try to start with something that was meant to be singleplayer first instead of co-op.

Agree with this fella on both points.

WRPGs can be more fun and in-depth, but JRPGs are better introductions.

Once you're done with it, DivOS is definitely a great game.
I also really enjoyed Underrail, so check that one out.

Also, Underrail is on sale at the moment in Humble, so more reason to check it out as well.

RPG is such a diluted genre now that every game and their mobage has stat builds as a feature. If you want the old-school roleplay inspired by pen-and-paper stuff, I would try older games.

gog.com/mix/gog_role_playing_games_in_chronological_order

>RPG is such a diluted genre now
And this is why it is important to understand what a RPG actually is, because dilution of a genre leads to its death.

Go back to /tg/ if terms, that have been used to describe games like Diablo for years now, trigger your raging autism

The only game from that list he would call an RPG is Arcanum though. By his definition the rest are all h&s and dungeon crawlers.

>terms, that have been used to describe games like Diablo for years now
Diablo is a h&s game, but the fact that it is a real time game has nothing to do with it being h&s.

>Turn based
>Hack and slash
Rinfags

but in video game 'culture' it now refers to real-time combat in RPGs simply because majority of video games have a focus in combat

You do not define any sort of "culture" you shit-eating dumbfuck. You are no one and your opinion is irrelevant trash along with the opinions of retarded shit-eaters like you. The term was defined and used by RPG players and developers of both PnP and computer RPG systems before you were even born. Repeating inherently wrong shit over and over and does not make it true.

Did you actually play the game, faggot

Sadly, I did. Now, prove that you have played it, faggot.

I thought I had seen the limit to how retarded and autistic a person can be but Sup Forums keeps surprising me every day. Well done.

then fuck off right back to where your opinion actually means something you failed abortion
hack 'n slash refers specifically to games like Diablo or Grim Dawn today and your crying doesn't change that fact
fucking diaper-wearing autist

>your opinion
I never post opinions, you shit-eating cuck, I only post facts backed up by actual quotes from legit sources. Posting shit opinions is something retarded mongoloids like you do. Again, you do not define shit, the people who actually gave birth to the genre do. Read the quote here again and shut your retarded mouth.

>Diablo or Grim Dawn
are h&s, but they are not the only things what h&s is, you mongoloid.

It's OK, dumbfuck, maybe one day you will learn to separate your retarded irrelevant opinion from facts.

Yeah it's great with a friend but if you want a solo experience you're better off with Divine Divinity. The sequel coming out looks even better though.

The classic CRPGs were almost entirely combat and exploration focused.

>The classic CRPGs
I don't think you understand what that means. The so-called "golden age of "RPGs"" was completely with dungeon crawlers. The real "age" of RPGs did not start before Fallout 1 was released.

>was completely
*was filled completely

Shit man, that's a nice collection. Especially that deluxe edition of Arena.

Surprised you don't have Spelljammer though.

I've seen you rehash the same shitposts in dozens of threads for more than a year and I can't be bothered to actually argue with them.

Yeah I got that haul for free. Unfortunately some of the games are missing their CDs like TES Arena or the floppies have bad sectors but overall it was a great haul. It even still has the code wheels for all the gold box games.

whether or not it's correct is irrelevant when majority of the people playing this shit today use it in context with real-time combat with dungeon crawling
turn-based combat is just turn-based
action-rpg refers to games with focus in combat and not dialogue
>hack 'n slash refers specifically to games like Diablo or Grim Dawn today and your crying doesn't change that fact
read it again and use your brain this time

>can't be bothered to actually argue with them.
That's because you don't have any arguments to begin with, only your retarded shit opinions.

Again, everything I say is backed up by actual quotes from actually legit sources including the stuff that concerns the definitions of h&s, RPGs and roleplaying in general.
>when majority of the people playing this shit today use it in context
You are not the majority, you do not have any authority to speak for the majority, you retarded shit eater. Literally everything you say is just diarrhea falling from your mouth. Until you start actually providing legit sources, your opinion will be discarded like the putrid trash it is.

Also some of the floppies are 5 inch while I only have a 3.5 inch reader.

>Fuck off Google I don't want your insane AIs driving my car
Luddites need to die fast.

>You are not the majority, you do not have any authority to speak for the majority, you retarded shit eater.
you're not the majority either genius
>Until you start actually providing legit sources, your opinion will be discarded like the putrid trash it is.
this whole fucking thread and board is a legit source
>inb4 proof
you're the only one screaming like an autist about it
now make like a tree and kindly castrate yourself

>you're not the majority either
And I don't need to be, because I don't need to use the popularity "argument" to prove my point. Unlike your retarded ass, I have actually legit sources, not shit opinions pulled out the ass and perpetuated by dumbfucks like you.

>this whole fucking thread and board is a legit source
LMAO. In other words, you have no actual arguments to support your bullshit, only retarded shit in the vein of "it's true becaus a horde of literally who dumbfucks who know nothing of the genre think it is, oh, and I don't actually even speak for the said horde of dumbfucks, I just pretend I do".

You are pathetic.

gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/hack-slash-term-definition-31227512/

gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/would-you-call-dark-souls-a-hack-n-slash-31231516/

gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/69173/what-are-the-differences-between-an-hack-slash-and-a-beat-em-up

suffice it to say, the terminology is not clear anymore

>You are pathetic.
says the autist raging over terminology

>gamespot
Who?
>forums where some literally who dumbfucks post nonsense
Again, who?

I've asked you for actually legit sources, not more verbal diarrhea from dumbfucks like you. You only discredit yourself by posting this nonsense, I don't even need to humiliate you (but I will), you're doing it yourself.

You got that for free? Damn. Someone moved and gave it away?

Can't you buy a cheap 5 inch reader somewhere? I think they still even manufacture them, but getting one from a shop selling used computer parts is not likely to cost much.

I'm in a similar situation though. I have my old Win 98 computer in perfect working condition, with only one issue - the keyboard broke a long time ago, and so far I couldn't find a store that sells keyboards with 5-pin DIN connector or at least a fucking adapter. Some online stores do, but they don't deliver to my country. It fucking sucks. So many games run like ass on modern machines.

Yeah the guy that gave me it moved into an RV and doesn't have space for it anymore. I'll probably end up shopping for 5 inch floppies eventually but probably only once summer starts up for me. What's impressive is some of these games like Warcraft 2 are still in packaging.

I see that you've not used your brain again
I refer you to >whether or not it's correct is irrelevant when majority of the people playing this shit today use it in context with real-time combat
didn't see any games with turn-based combat listed in those threads
only in your la-la-land do people refer to turn-based games as hack 'n slash

Are you going full circle with your retardation, dumbfuck? Again, the opinion of the majority doesn't matter, if it's factually wrong and I've already proven that it IS wrong with an actually legit source. That's one. Second point is that YOU don't even speak for the said majority, you fucking imbecile, the only thing you can do is spout your retarded opinion nobody give a fuck about.

Now, either come up with an actual argument by posting a legit source to back up your bullshit, or don't even fucking dare to reply to me again.

And to think user jumped off the deep end to find a justification for his mad love for Pillars of Eternity. Fascinating.