Yooka Laylee

Why is opinion so divided on this game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=__AQ18xd3bg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

THE PAGIES

because it's divided between normal people and people who backed it on kickstarter

jontron

This is the first post about the game i have seen in like a month

This kind of proves how forgetable the entire game was

IN CAGIES

artificial controversy

I backed it and think it's mediocre. Has several flaws and isn't as good as the games it's trying to imitate.

people banked a game on nostalgia which promised authentic nostalgic gameplay

people got exactly what they wanted and realized that nostalgia is just that, nostalgia

Right and only one of those groups actually played it.

Sums it up pretty well. Would've been better with jontron though

censorship and black people

Or did the sensible thing and pirated it, then realized that it wasn't even worth the bandwidth, pirate's remorse.

Why should I give any attention to e-celeb drama?

Because it's a poor man's recreation of Banjo Kazooie with half the creativity and enjoymeny

devs pandering to two people on neogaf and then allowing their publisher to block/make fun of backers while delivering a underwhelming game

Devs revealed themselves as virtue signaling SJWs. It's a real case of I would have bought it on Steam but I just can't give these kinds of people any money.

When you literally bank entirely on nostalgia it tends not to do you much good.

Because it's not as good as the games it tries to imitate, and because of the Kickstarter curse.

They angered Sup Forums so we destroyed them as usual. Nothing to see here, just another game we brought down and taught a lesson.

>if there was an audience for HD collectathons, you probably would of seen HD Banjo/DK remakes

but no there wasn't and since people paid for this thing along the way the developer bites little to no costs for failures.

>isn't as good as the games it's trying to imitate.
It feels better than those games to me, but I recently played them, and while enjoyable in a nostalgic way they don't really stand on their own any more.

As such Yooka Laylee makes a few efforts to streamline things and keep it fresh, like unifying pickups and having some interesting alternate gameplay like the Isometric Palace, but it's still not quite enough.

i enjoyed it 2bh

thats right i said it

downvote me BITCHES, see if i care

I played through DK64 again last year and had more fun than with Yooka Laylee.

The YL worlds are way too big, shit is just needlessly spread out and getting the last few quills in a world is a nightmare. Even though the game has lots of collectibles, there's so much ground to cover that the game doesn't actually feel like it has much to do. There's also too few worlds. The big worlds were most likely to pad out assets instead of having to create lots of smaller worlds.

The forced backtracking is lame, there's tons of times where you can see a collectible but can't get it because you need a move from a later world. The sensible thing to do is just progress through the worlds as quickly as possible to unlock all the moves, then go back for the rest of the collectibles. However by doing this you'll trivialize a huge portion of the platforming due to the flight move having almost no restrictions on its use.

The challenges are either ridiculously simple (often literally just: use this move, good job, here's a pagie) or frustrating due to poor/limited controls and/or unforgiving timing. Minecart sections in particular. There's also lots of little minor control issues like poor turning when rolling/flying/in certain transformations, or not being able to do anything if you start slipping. Lots of the extra features like the minecarts, minigames, transformations and quiz sections feel tacked on to fulfil the stretch goals and not properly integrated with the rest of the game.

The game rules are inconsistent. There's two moves which break glass, but only the intended one ever works. Some steep surfaces are slippery and others aren't.

It doesn't have the same polish and charm as the N64 platformers, the cinematics aren't as good, the characters aren't as funny, and the music isn't as lively and memorable.

There are some good things like unified pickups and clever moves like getting the properties of berries/stuff you lick but they are underutilized.

>It feels better than those games to me, but I recently played them, and while enjoyable in a nostalgic way they don't really stand on their own any more.

Why would you go and tell lies on the internet?

It is?

Most of the rating posts I have seen congruent say it's a solid 7/10, not groundbreaking but fun experience.

Its not worth $40.

It should have been released at $15-$20 and nobody would be complaining because thats the price point the game deserves to be at.

Wasn't that because of the publisher and not the developers? You clowns are even more easily triggered than Tumblr

>if there was an audience for HD collectathons, you probably would of seen HD Banjo/DK remakes
???????

alot of politics and memes

>remake
>nothing was remade

What did he mean by this?

They're HD remasters.

people got exactly what they funded and for some reason that upsets them

Too much backtracking and getting lost

>good lighting, easy to run, but terrible jaggies

>try to downsample from higher than 1080p, cant, and native antialiasing is shit

dropped immediately

the only reason why I give a shit about this game was bcos r/donald was busy sucking off some fat fuck youtuber that got ditched from this game and thinks spamming Sup Forums with their asshurt is the way to go.
overall its pretty decent

I did get it for $15

>implying jaggies are a bad thing

I like the aesthetic. It's almost like pixel art for 3D games. On top of the fact that it makes games run faster

jesus christ are you fucking serious

I'm a game developer, so no.

So you agree there is no HD remake like you claimed but rather just lazy remasters, if you can call "letting the computer display they made back in 1998 in full resolution" a remaster.

*the textures they

Yeah, I will never understand kickstarter because of this, people don't seem to think a second before backing shit...it always remembers me of ouya, they promised a android tablet in a small box to plug it in your screen and when they launched people started bitching because it were just a android tablet in a small box

It's shit

because some fat fuck got his voice removed from the game.

I got exactly what I wanted and I enjoy it all the way.
I did a 2nd playthrough and knowing what to do and already being familiar with the worlds helps a lot.
I'm glad the devs are actually trying to fix the game with updates instead of just dropping it.
>they're adding pause music on the next update

6/10 at best.

Opinions are divided for two reasons;

Some people are in denial because they paid up front and had high hopes for it, don't want to admit they were disappointed. Fox and grapes tier shit.

Some people just hate eating cake but love devouring icing fondant. Banjo-Kazooie was like a well crafted cake. Yooka-Laylee is just dollar store dough slathered in layer after layer of bright, diabetes-inducing fondant.

Then you have people who genuinely like massive, empty worlds to dink around in.

I want to fuck that gecko.

because modern gaming is swarming with jaded neckbeards who need to rage about everything

it's a fun little 3D platformer that was overhyped.

Why did he get removed?

youtube.com/watch?v=__AQ18xd3bg

If Mighty No 9 didn't have all the bugs/glitches it would be on par with Yooka Laylee.